27 Jul 2003 09:42:23
Chris
Another restoration project - Webley MkIII

Is there anywhere on the web that provides dis-assembly instructions
for a Webley Mk III rifle? I don't know how old it is (I found a
serial on the cocking lever - 15005) and I've had it for about 15
years.

It still shoots OK but it's a bit weak now, probably needs a new
spring and washer if it's still possible to buy them. The only defect
is that there is no dovetail on the cylinder to take a scope, and the
blueing is mostly gone where the dovetail would be (if it had one). I
guess a previous owner had found some other way of attaching one. Iron
sights are OK with me though.

Chris

28 Jul 2003 00:11:17
Mick Tilley
Re: Another restoration project - Webley MkIII

"Chris" <Chrish@noeasynetspam.co.uk > wrote in message
> Is there anywhere on the web that provides dis-assembly instructions
> for a Webley Mk III rifle? I don't know how old it is (I found a
> serial on the cocking lever - 15005) and I've had it for about 15
> years.
>
> It still shoots OK but it's a bit weak now, probably needs a new
> spring and washer if it's still possible to buy them. The only defect
> is that there is no dovetail on the cylinder to take a scope, and the
> blueing is mostly gone where the dovetail would be (if it had one). I
> guess a previous owner had found some other way of attaching one. Iron
> sights are OK with me though.
>
> Chris

Chris,

The Mark III is a venerable rifle and, SFAIK, was never made with a 'scope
rail or dovetail. If you fitted one it would considerably reduce the value
of the rifle. Decent Mark IIIs in original nick go for 100 - 150 at
auction.

You'll find a parts diagram at
http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Webley%20plans/Webley%20Mk3%20plan.htm
and a parts list at
http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Webley%20plans/Webley%20Mk3%20list.htm.
I've never personally stripped one down, so I cant give any more detailed
instructions.

28 Jul 2003 18:55:11
Chris
Re: Another restoration project - Webley MkIII

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:11:17 +0100, "Mick Tilley"
<micktilley@tiscali.co.uk > wrote:

>Chris,
>
>The Mark III is a venerable rifle and, SFAIK, was never made with a 'scope
>rail or dovetail. If you fitted one it would considerably reduce the value
>of the rifle. Decent Mark IIIs in original nick go for 100 - 150 at
>auction.
>
>You'll find a parts diagram at
>http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Webley%20plans/Webley%20Mk3%20plan.htm
>and a parts list at
>http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/Webley%20plans/Webley%20Mk3%20list.htm.
>I've never personally stripped one down, so I cant give any more detailed
>instructions.

Thanks Mick, at least I know where to get a new spring from. I'm a bit
wary of taking springers apart when I don't know how it's put
together. The only 'damage' is some loss of bluing a the rear of the
cylinder (top) which I suppose could be restored. The trigger pull is
a bit soft but it's surprising what you can get used to. Paid 10 quid
for it 15 years ago!

Chris

30 Jul 2003 00:39:30
Mick Tilley
Re: Another restoration project - Webley MkIII

"Chris" <chrish@noeasynetspam.co.uk > wrote in message

<Snip >

>Paid 10 quid for it 15 years ago!
>
> Chris

Even 15 years ago that was a bloody bargain!! Enjoy!!

Mick