26 Feb 2004 05:56:29
Pippen
Daisy PowerLine Model 717

I'm looking for a little advice. I'm new to this news group and have not had
an air gun since I was a kid... I want to do a little target practice in my
basement (25 - 30 ft). I'm looking at the Daisy PowerLine Model 717. Having
never shot one I'm hoping someone here who has one could give me some
feedback on their experience with this pistol.

What I like about this pistol is:
* Price
* Pump (does not use air cartridge)
* Brand name? Only familiar with Daisy...

Questions:
* How accurate, how adjustable?
* Durablity, still have fun with it five years from now?
* Any complaints with the pump mechanism?

My goal is to have some fun and work on technique... nothing too serious. If
there is another air gun that is similar that I should be considering please
let me know.

Thanks,

-p

26 Feb 2004 13:31:59
munir
Re: Daisy PowerLine Model 717

>Questions:
> * How accurate, how adjustable?

Reasonably accurate at 10m. rear sight adjusts for windage and elevation.

> * Durablity, still have fun with it five years from now?

You should. I've one that I've had for almost 20 years now and it still shoots
accurately and w/o any loss of power that I've noticed.

> * Any complaints with the pump mechanism?

not for me. Easy pumping. Perhaps the only problem I have on mine is that when
the gun is discharged the pump handle is loose and swings very easily

>My goal is to have some fun and work on technique... nothing too serious. If
>there is another air gun that is similar that I should be considering please
>let me know.

There really isn't that much in the same price range.

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin
(Letzebuergesch)

26 Feb 2004 12:46:00
E. Willson
Re: Daisy PowerLine Model 717

I have one of the original Powerlines', made before the 717 and 747 models were
differentiated from the original. I have owned and used it for about thirty
years. IMO there is not a better buy available for a moderately priced target
type. It is not IMO powerful enough for hunting. With the right pellets it will
group at 0.3" at 25 ft. I have fired thousands of rounds through it with no
problem whatsoever.

My only negative comment is that I find the grip angle is not quite right for
me, and that pulling the trigger disturbs my aim somewhat more than other
pistols. Pulling the trigger tends to lower the muzzle more than I like. I have
the same problem with the Model 1911 45 ACP.

Since you appear to be a newby I suggest that you avoid the temptation to buy a
higher powered spring piston type pistol. They are quite difficult to shoot
accurately. (Imagine the Daisy with a rat trap attached :^))

HTH,
Ernie

Pippen wrote:

> I'm looking for a little advice. I'm new to this news group and have not had
> an air gun since I was a kid... I want to do a little target practice in my
> basement (25 - 30 ft). I'm looking at the Daisy PowerLine Model 717. Having
> never shot one I'm hoping someone here who has one could give me some
> feedback on their experience with this pistol.
>
> What I like about this pistol is:
> * Price
> * Pump (does not use air cartridge)
> * Brand name? Only familiar with Daisy...
>
> Questions:
> * How accurate, how adjustable?
> * Durablity, still have fun with it five years from now?
> * Any complaints with the pump mechanism?
>
> My goal is to have some fun and work on technique... nothing too serious. If
> there is another air gun that is similar that I should be considering please
> let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -p

27 Feb 2004 06:17:09
Pippen
Re: Daisy PowerLine Model 717

Thank you for your responses. At this point I plan on purchasing the 717...

-p