12 Apr 2006 12:47:05
Helicopter Style of Bowling

Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
and the pin action is high.

I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
buzz.

Just wondered what everyones views were on it.

Brent Sweet, Webmaster
http://www.incatch.com
A site for bowlers!

12 Apr 2006 16:08:19
Johnny Stingray
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

On 12 Apr 2006 12:47:05 -0700, groups@incatch.com wrote:

>Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
>writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
>Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
>with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
>and the pin action is high.
>
>I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
>followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
>buzz.
>
>Just wondered what everyones views were on it.
>

>Brent Sweet, Webmaster
>http://www.incatch.com
>A site for bowlers!

I have seen some spinner/helicopter videos and it is an interesting
style. It was developed supposedly to combat brutal lane conditions
over there by taking the lane conditions out of the equation. From
what I have read online the Asians are very proud of their
"spinner/helicopter" style and like to say that it rivals hook bowling
in score potential. I don't want to rain on their parade but I would
like to see them send an emissary over here, one of their best
helicopter bowlers and have them try and compete on the PBA tour. I
would love to see how it turns out and it would be exciting too,
dontcha think?

JS

12 Apr 2006 13:23:16
PromptJock
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

> Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling.

Yes. It's where you, literally, release the ball where it "spins like
a top".

You can practice doing it at home: just hold your ball so all the holes
are FACING UP. Then, twist your fingers and thumb wrist and arm AS ONE
UNIT (make sure the thumb exits the ball!). The clip below
demonstrates it. You'll see the ball (basically) spin in place on the
ball's PAP, and not do much else.

Now, if you do it on the lanes, make sure you deliver the ball DEAD
STRAIGHT down the middle so it has ZERO FORWARD ROLL, but it's spinning
fast on its' PAP. It'll take practice to get it "top spinning" the
instant you start it sliding down the lane, but you can get the hang of
it. Another thing: NO HEAVIER than 11 pounds on the ball!

And by the way: your wrist will HURT LIKE HELL after awhile from the
repetitive twisting action at the release.

The reason it's popular in Asian countries is they have SMALL HANDS and
this release is suited for their hand size. In "trained hands", the
helicopter delivery is DEVASTATING to the pins. The main drawback is
it's relatively ineffective for spare pickups (it can also leave NASTY
spares, too!).

The following sites will help:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/vSpinner.htm(shows
the release)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/VHeliStr.Htm(one
view of a strike)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/VHeliLiv.Htm
(another view of a strike)

12 Apr 2006 20:35:35
Cheetamengouda
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

60 feet of skid huh? The slop ball known in america as DOA. Next thing out
of asia might be throwing the pins at the ball or the hydrant style
(throwing the ball off your wrong foot sort of like a dog on a hydrant). I
guess the owners don't care but seeing retard ball bowling all day isn't
something i'd like to watch especially with asians throwing the balls.
<groups@incatch.com > wrote in message
> Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
> writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
> Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
> with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
> and the pin action is high.
>
> I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
> followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
> buzz.
>
> Just wondered what everyones views were on it.
>

> Brent Sweet, Webmaster
> http://www.incatch.com
> A site for bowlers!

13 Apr 2006 01:40:45
Tony R Smith
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Got some bad news for ya, Johnny... On difficult conditions, the
helicopter release dominates. A beginner helicopter bowlers can average
200 in his first year of bowling, where a traditional hook bowler needs
many years (less these days) to average 200. A hook bowler is affected
by conditions and may require equipment and/or release changes in order
to score. A helicopter bowlers is unaffected by oil pattern and owns
only one ball... a 10-12 lb, normally plastic, ball. The only time a
hook bowler has a serious advantage is when he is bowling on a "Wally
World" shot. Helicopter bowlers rarely leave splits and washouts, but
they don't have the same carry potential as a hook bowler on a cake
shot. This is why they do so well on the World Tenpin Bowling
Championships tournaments.

Johnny Stingray wrote:

>On 12 Apr 2006 12:47:05 -0700, groups@incatch.com wrote:
>

>>Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
>>writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
>>Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
>>with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
>>and the pin action is high.
>>
>>I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
>>followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
>>buzz.
>>
>>Just wondered what everyones views were on it.
>>

>>Brent Sweet, Webmaster
>>http://www.incatch.com
>>A site for bowlers!
>>

>I have seen some spinner/helicopter videos and it is an interesting
>style. It was developed supposedly to combat brutal lane conditions
>over there by taking the lane conditions out of the equation. From
>what I have read online the Asians are very proud of their
>"spinner/helicopter" style and like to say that it rivals hook bowling
>in score potential. I don't want to rain on their parade but I would
>like to see them send an emissary over here, one of their best
>helicopter bowlers and have them try and compete on the PBA tour. I
>would love to see how it turns out and it would be exciting too,
>dontcha think?
>
>JS

13 Apr 2006 03:16:55
Rick
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

FYI - ever hear of Lou Campi - wrong foot Lou???
He threw it off his right foot. You need to read some books on the history
of bowling before you start talking about something you obviously know
little about.

"Cheetamengouda" <cheatthecheeta > wrote in message
> 60 feet of skid huh? The slop ball known in america as DOA. Next thing out
> of asia might be throwing the pins at the ball or the hydrant style
> (throwing the ball off your wrong foot sort of like a dog on a hydrant). I
> guess the owners don't care but seeing retard ball bowling all day isn't
> something i'd like to watch especially with asians throwing the balls.
> <groups@incatch.com> wrote in message
>> Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
>> writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
>> Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
>> with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
>> and the pin action is high.
>>
>> I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
>> followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
>> buzz.
>>
>> Just wondered what everyones views were on it.
>>

>> Brent Sweet, Webmaster
>> http://www.incatch.com
>> A site for bowlers!

13 Apr 2006 09:41:58
nothumbs
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

>>Greetings from the Bay Area. I took a spinning lesson from Billy Hall a few years ago
>>and he recommended a 14-lb ball. I found it kicks the pins around a lot more than
>>a l2-lb balls but still has lots of deflection if spun properly. Spinning is a good alternative
>>weapon when the lanes are really broken down (late-nite leagues), improperly maintained lanes
>>(that's my house), or just bad conditions (ABT). It's just a matter of getting really accurate
>>with the spinner. If you throw the spinner perfectly you have less chance of leaving that
>>ringing 10-pin or solid 8 on great hook shots. You have 5 pockets: high-flush on either
>>side, light either side, and through the nose. If you need massive scores the hook ball is the
>>way to go. If 200 is a very good game and the lanes are brutal I will whip out the spinner.
>>Anyway, its lots of fun to try and that's the most important thing for me.

no-thumbs

13 Apr 2006 18:32:06
Polarhound

Rick wrote:
> FYI - ever hear of Lou Campi - wrong foot Lou???
> He threw it off his right foot. You need to read some books on the history
> of bowling before you start talking about something you obviously know
> little about.

Then you have Mike Durbin who won a PBA tournament with a three step
approach (which I use as well.)

13 Apr 2006 22:40:26
Darby
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net > wrote
> Rick wrote:
>> FYI - ever hear of Lou Campi - wrong foot Lou???
>> He threw it off his right foot. You need to read some books on the
>> history of bowling before you start talking about something you obviously
>> know little about.
>
> Then you have Mike Durbin who won a PBA tournament with a three step
> approach (which I use as well.)

They said on the Sunday telecast that he won the same tournament three times
using a different number of steps each time. I remember him as the color man
on TV bowling . I really enjoyed his way of passing on tips while keeping us
in the game. I wish ESPN would consider bringing him back.
Dar

14 Apr 2006 00:54:21
Cheetamengouda
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Seems you only know ten pin bowling. Ever heard of greg peteraitis also
known as the one-footed wonder?
"Rick" <hchiava1@gmail.com > wrote in message
> FYI - ever hear of Lou Campi - wrong foot Lou???
> He threw it off his right foot. You need to read some books on the
> history of bowling before you start talking about something you obviously
> know little about.
>
> "Cheetamengouda" <cheatthecheeta> wrote in message
>> 60 feet of skid huh? The slop ball known in america as DOA. Next thing
>> out of asia might be throwing the pins at the ball or the hydrant style
>> (throwing the ball off your wrong foot sort of like a dog on a hydrant).
>> I guess the owners don't care but seeing retard ball bowling all day
>> isn't something i'd like to watch especially with asians throwing the
>> balls.
>> <groups@incatch.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anybody heard of the helicopter style of bowling. I am working on
>>> writing a piece on it. It is a style that from my research is used in
>>> Asia. You actually take your fingers out first and then push the ball
>>> with your thumb. Supposibly you can use a light ball and little speed
>>> and the pin action is high.
>>>
>>> I am still a fan of rolling the ball, but this appears to have a lot of
>>> followers. There are videos of the shot on the internet and a lot of
>>> buzz.
>>>
>>> Just wondered what everyones views were on it.
>>>

>>> Brent Sweet, Webmaster
>>> http://www.incatch.com
>>> A site for bowlers!

14 Apr 2006 01:07:42
Cheetamengouda
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Mike was good but needed tooth whitener. All the commentators of the past
were good except the one today randy pedersen. If i'm watching the pba tour
on television i sometimes have to turn the sound off so i don't hear randy.
He just makes things up as the show progresses most of it is just malarky.
"Darby" <tenpinhawkeye@mchsi.com > wrote in message

> "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote
>> Rick wrote:
>>> FYI - ever hear of Lou Campi - wrong foot Lou???
>>> He threw it off his right foot. You need to read some books on the
>>> history of bowling before you start talking about something you
>>> obviously know little about.
>>
>> Then you have Mike Durbin who won a PBA tournament with a three step
>> approach (which I use as well.)
>
> They said on the Sunday telecast that he won the same tournament three
> times using a different number of steps each time. I remember him as the
> color man on TV bowling . I really enjoyed his way of passing on tips
> while keeping us in the game. I wish ESPN would consider bringing him
> back.
> Dar

14 Apr 2006 04:59:17
Johnny Stingray
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:40:45 GMT, Tony R Smith
<tonyrsmith@myrealbox.com > wrote:

>Got some bad news for ya, Johnny... On difficult conditions, the
>helicopter release dominates. A beginner helicopter bowlers can average
>200 in his first year of bowling, where a traditional hook bowler needs
>many years (less these days) to average 200. A hook bowler is affected
>by conditions and may require equipment and/or release changes in order
>to score. A helicopter bowlers is unaffected by oil pattern and owns
>only one ball... a 10-12 lb, normally plastic, ball. The only time a
>hook bowler has a serious advantage is when he is bowling on a "Wally
>World" shot. Helicopter bowlers rarely leave splits and washouts, but
>they don't have the same carry potential as a hook bowler on a cake
>shot. This is why they do so well on the World Tenpin Bowling
>Championships tournaments.

I guess we are deprived here in the states. I have satellite TV with
about 200 channels and I have never seen any international bowling
competitions televised with spinner bowlers. I have seen a few Weber
cup episodes with international bowlers from Europe and Scandinavia
but they don't employ the spinner technique. It is disgusting that in
this day and age we are virtually totally cut off here from any media
coverage of this style of bowling when it could possibly have a great
impact on our sport. I sincerely hope that this changes because I
would love to see people like Tommy Jones go head to head with some
Asian spinner superstar bowler on TV, that would be very exciting for
bowling. Or even if they somehow revive the ladys pro tour and invite
some of the Asian women spinners to compete, that would be great too.

JS

14 Apr 2006 08:51:23
nothumbs
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

>Actually, Wang Yu-Ling came over from Taipei and competed in the 2000 Ladies U.S. Open.
>She hung around the top of the pack and finished around 10th. Many of our best female
>bowlers have been trounced by Asian spinners in the past few years. But, like you say,
>it would be great to see it on the tube.
>no-thumbs

14 Apr 2006 09:41:23
Dan The Man
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

I once was told that the helicopter style involves the use of a high
(almost vertical) armswing. If this is true, this is not my style.

As for Mike Durbin, if I remember right he gave up broadcasting
voluntarily to become more active on the PBA Senior Tour.

Dan

14 Apr 2006 12:17:39
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

I agree 100%. The basic is you are throwing a light ball and your pin
action is increased. I wonder how accurate you have to be, because
from what I have seen the ball goes straight, thus not giving you any
chance for area, well of course with the exception of the pin action.

15 Apr 2006 23:39:06
Ryan Press (NI)
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

I have a cunch of video clips from the '99 Worlds with a lot of spinners
bowling. I'll maybe fire some online if I get the chance.

You don't need a huge backswing, and in fact many are very low.

Ryan

"Dan The Man" <cochrand@address.com > wrote in message
> I once was told that the helicopter style involves the use of a high
> (almost vertical) armswing. If this is true, this is not my style.
>
> As for Mike Durbin, if I remember right he gave up broadcasting
> voluntarily to become more active on the PBA Senior Tour.
>
> Dan

15 Apr 2006 19:31:35
Mark
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

>>The reason it's popular in Asian countries is they have SMALL HANDS and
>>this release is suited for their hand size.

MuCh mOre to DO wiTh tHE HeLOCOpTEr reLeAse wORkiNg on aBysMal lAnE
cONditIONs ThAn hAND siZe.

Mark

16 Apr 2006 17:34:23
Brent Sweet
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

So what kind of accuracy do you have to have on this? Do you get area like
a hook bowler would?

"Ryan Press (NI)" <juan-carlos.lupino@talk21.com > wrote in message
> I have a cunch of video clips from the '99 Worlds with a lot of spinners
> bowling. I'll maybe fire some online if I get the chance.
>
> You don't need a huge backswing, and in fact many are very low.
>
> Ryan
>

> "Dan The Man" <cochrand@address.com> wrote in message
> > I once was told that the helicopter style involves the use of a high
> > (almost vertical) armswing. If this is true, this is not my style.
> >
> > As for Mike Durbin, if I remember right he gave up broadcasting
> > voluntarily to become more active on the PBA Senior Tour.
> >
> > Dan

17 Apr 2006 15:09:55
Ryan Press (NI)
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Well I personally would never try this sort of release :-P But from
watching these bowlers, it appears you do get a little bit of area to aim
at, but it can not be increased or decreased by the lane oil pattern.. The
ball appears to "curve" a little as it goes down the lane, but not a hook,
so may be affected _slightly_ on very dry lanes, but not nearly as much as
hook bowlers.

I have uploaded a video of this style, filmed by Ken Melvin (many of you
will be familiar with his website) - I have several LOOOONG videos of his,
and just cut some clips from it.

The video has been compressed to DivX 6 so if it does not play for you go to
http://www.divx.com/divx/play/?hp3playmoreinfoto download the free codec
update and media player.

http://www.rpsenterprise.com/allcut.avi <<<<<<------- The video :-)

Hope it helps!

Ryan

"Brent Sweet" <bsweet@mchsi.com > wrote in message
> So what kind of accuracy do you have to have on this? Do you get area
like
> a hook bowler would?
>

> "Ryan Press (NI)" <juan-carlos.lupino@talk21.com> wrote in message
> > I have a cunch of video clips from the '99 Worlds with a lot of
spinners
> > bowling. I'll maybe fire some online if I get the chance.
> >
> > You don't need a huge backswing, and in fact many are very low.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> > "Dan The Man" <cochrand@address.com> wrote in message
> > > I once was told that the helicopter style involves the use of a high
> > > (almost vertical) armswing. If this is true, this is not my style.
> > >
> > > As for Mike Durbin, if I remember right he gave up broadcasting
> > > voluntarily to become more active on the PBA Senior Tour.
> > >
> > > Dan

17 Apr 2006 08:20:11
PromptJock
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

> The video has been compressed to DivX 6 so if it does not play for you go to
> http://www.divx.com/divx/play/?hp3playmoreinfoto download the free codec
> update and media player.

One giant caveat/disclaimer: if you're still using ** Win98 or WinME
**, you're SOL as there's no DivX support for those environments!

17 Apr 2006 15:17:47
Ryan Press (NI)
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Seriously? Wow... Well, my apologies to anyone that cannot watch it then
:-(

Ryan

"PromptJock" <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote in message
> > The video has been compressed to DivX 6 so if it does not play for you
go to
> > http://www.divx.com/divx/play/?hp3playmoreinfoto download the free
codec
> > update and media player.
>
> One giant caveat/disclaimer: if you're still using ** Win98 or WinME
> **, you're SOL as there's no DivX support for those environments!

17 Apr 2006 08:22:33
PromptJock
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

> The video has been compressed to DivX 6 so if it does not play for you go to
> http://www.divx.com/divx/play/?hp3playmoreinfoto download the free codec
> update and media player.

One giant caveat/disclaimer: if you're still using ** Win98 OR WinME **
you're SOL as the DivX people aren't supporting those environments
anymore!

(NOTE: possible double reply - please forgive me as Google "timed out"
on the first shot!)

17 Apr 2006 08:24:50
PromptJock
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

>Seriously? Wow... Well, my apologies to anyone that cannot watch it then
>:-(

Yes, seriously. I just tried and got the info from the link you
provided (I still have a WinME system)....

17 Apr 2006 15:28:56
Ryan Press (NI)
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Oh Dear - Sorry about that, but the video would be in the region of 190 MB
if I don't use DivX, and since its an instructional style video, too much
detail would be lost to compress it to anything else.

> >Seriously? Wow... Well, my apologies to anyone that cannot watch it then
> >:-(
>
> Yes, seriously. I just tried and got the info from the link you
> provided (I still have a WinME system)....

17 Apr 2006 12:53:02
Jeff Rife

PromptJock (102151.3223@compuserve.com) wrote in alt.sport.bowling:
> Yes, seriously. I just tried and got the info from the link you
> provided (I still have a WinME system)....

Ouch. That's very likely the worst possible OS Microsoft ever released,
and they've released some bad ones.

Unless you have programs that have to have ME to run, upgrade to XP...
it's painless other than the cost of the OS.

--
Jeff Rife | "_Grease_ is one of my favorite movies. A
| sociopathic greaser in a leather jacket turns an
| innocent high school girl into a slut.
|
| Kind of like _My Fair Lady_ in reverse."
|
| -- Scot Gardner, in alt.video.dvd

17 Apr 2006 14:18:12
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

Thanks Ryan,
That was a very interesting clip.
al
> Oh Dear - Sorry about that, but the video would be in the region of 190 MB
> if I don't use DivX, and since its an instructional style video, too much
> detail would be lost to compress it to anything else.
>
> Ryan
>

> "PromptJock" <102151.3223@compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> >Seriously? Wow... Well, my apologies to anyone that cannot watch it
>> >then
>> >:-(
>>
>> Yes, seriously. I just tried and got the info from the link you
>> provided (I still have a WinME system)....

17 Apr 2006 23:23:43
PromptJock
Re: Helicopter Style of Bowling

> Ouch. That's very likely the worst possible OS Microsoft ever released,
> and they've released some bad ones.

No argument from me! I consider the "ME" to mean "Mucho Excremento"...

> Unless you have programs that have to have ME to run, upgrade to XP...
> it's painless other than the cost of the OS.

I have an XP Pro upgrade CD. I just haven't had time to create a pack
(I prefer using a CLEAN pack for a "virgin" installation) due to
Bowling Priorities. ;)