04 Oct 2006 22:20:58
litefrozen
Looking for a prize list program.

I was wondering if anyone had seen a program for making a prizelist.
I had two but cant find one of them now. one was called Prizelist.exe
(It wont run for some reason now) and I can't remember the name for the
other.
In the programs you could put in the amount of the prize fund, number
of teams and how many bowlers. It would then generate a prize list, you
could also set if you wanted how the list was weighted (top
heavy,bottom heavy or a more flat payout list)
thanks


05 Oct 2006 08:11:43
PromptJock
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

> I was wondering if anyone had seen a program for making a prizelist.
> I had two but cant find one of them now. one was called Prizelist.exe
> (It wont run for some reason now) and I can't remember the name for the
> other.
> In the programs you could put in the amount of the prize fund, number
> of teams and how many bowlers. It would then generate a prize list, you
> could also set if you wanted how the list was weighted (top
> heavy,bottom heavy or a more flat payout list)
> thanks

Have you done a web search for freeware/shareware that might do what
you're looking for?

If your current program "won't run", and you're using a WinXP machine,
chances are it's an ** MS-DOS ** executable and WinXP pretty much will
refuse to run anything written for MS-DOS. I know there's a "DOS
emulator" out there for WinXP (can't remember what it's called) that's
freeware you can try. However, if it's just for one program, I dont
thing it's worth your while to try and resuscitate it.

Finally, if you're handy with Excel (or similar), it's no real big deal
to create a spreadsheet to "divvy up" the prize fund the way you want
(I've done that for my league). True, you'll have to MANUALLY
determine your "weightings, etc." for the # of teams you're dealing
with, but once you get the sheet prepared (formulae, etc.), you just
have to enter the prize fund amount and let it Do The Work. NOTE: It
helps if you create the sheet to deal with MANY CASES of team #s, etc.
so one sheet can Do It All.

Hope this helps a little. :)



05 Oct 2006 16:07:40
litefrozen
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

In article <1160061102.991451.304040@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com >,
PromptJock <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone had seen a program for making a prizelist.
> > I had two but cant find one of them now. one was called Prizelist.exe
> > (It wont run for some reason now) and I can't remember the name for the
> > other.
> > In the programs you could put in the amount of the prize fund, number
> > of teams and how many bowlers. It would then generate a prize list, you
> > could also set if you wanted how the list was weighted (top
> > heavy,bottom heavy or a more flat payout list)
> > thanks
>
> Have you done a web search for freeware/shareware that might do what
> you're looking for?
>
> If your current program "won't run", and you're using a WinXP machine,
> chances are it's an ** MS-DOS ** executable and WinXP pretty much will
> refuse to run anything written for MS-DOS. I know there's a "DOS
> emulator" out there for WinXP (can't remember what it's called) that's
> freeware you can try. However, if it's just for one program, I dont
> thing it's worth your while to try and resuscitate it.
>
> Finally, if you're handy with Excel (or similar), it's no real big deal
> to create a spreadsheet to "divvy up" the prize fund the way you want
> (I've done that for my league). True, you'll have to MANUALLY
> determine your "weightings, etc." for the # of teams you're dealing
> with, but once you get the sheet prepared (formulae, etc.), you just
> have to enter the prize fund amount and let it Do The Work. NOTE: It
> helps if you create the sheet to deal with MANY CASES of team #s, etc.
> so one sheet can Do It All.
>
> Hope this helps a little. :)
>
Thanks for your response.
(Im interested in this because Ive made alot of prize lists for the
leagues Ive been on and they get picked alot)

Yes I have done many web searchs trying to find a program or one that
does something similar. or a spreadsheet.

The prizelist.exe program will start but after I have inputed the
variables and hit the calculate button it quits with some type of
memory fault.( tried it in XP and back to 95)

The other program I had (if I could remember the name of it) worked ok
only it would come up with odd amounts per man (like say $40.27,
$115.38. 90.04 that type of thing lots of cents) I would use it as a
starting point then tweak the numbers so they would come out even.(lots
easier not having to deal with the change at payout. we payout in cash
not checks.)

Ive been trying to make a spreadsheet that divvys up the prize fund.
But I dont know how to do the formulas to do it. Ive looked for them
too or a similar type sheet. so I could see how the formulas are done.
Then write them to suit what Im doing.

The sheet I use now I made will divide each teams winnings and show the
per man amount and totals. but I have to figure out how much each team
gets.
If you have some examples of the formulas copy them paste them and
post them .

Ill keep looking .


05 Oct 2006 13:25:14
PromptJock
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

> The sheet I use now I made will divide each teams winnings and show the
> per man amount and totals. but I have to figure out how much each team
> gets.
> If you have some examples of the formulas copy them paste them and
> post them .

To figure the ** TEAM ** divvyings, simply multiply the "per man"
amounts by the # of players on the team.

Now, assuming you're using the "point" system, you divide the TOTAL
POINT WINS for the season into the prize fund to get a "$ per point"
amount. Then, using each team's TOTAL POINT WIN count, multiply that
per-team point total by the "$ per point" amount to get the total
amount the team gets. From there, divide that amount by the # of
players on each team to get the individual divvyings.

If you want, I can send you the Excel spreadsheet I use and you can
tweak it as necessary to suit your purposes. The only inputs required
are: 1) total prize fund amount (note: our league divides the prizes
between "point money" and other prizes - the ratios are there), # of
wins and losses for each team in each half (can be adjusted for
quarters, etc.), and names for individuals/teams that win things. All
other calculations (i.e. male/femal high scratch, series, etc.) are
automatically done based on how we assign our prize percentages -
they're in the cell formulae and can be adjusted to accommodate your
setup.

Hope this helps. :)



05 Oct 2006 22:20:40
litefrozen
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

In article <1160079914.298388.271440@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com >,
PromptJock <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote:

> To figure the ** TEAM ** divvyings, simply multiply the "per man"
> amounts by the # of players on the team.
>
> Now, assuming you're using the "point" system, you divide the TOTAL
> POINT WINS for the season into the prize fund to get a "$ per point"
> amount. Then, using each team's TOTAL POINT WIN count, multiply that
> per-team point total by the "$ per point" amount to get the total
> amount the team gets. From there, divide that amount by the # of
> players on each team to get the individual divvyings.
>
> If you want, I can send you the Excel spreadsheet I use and you can
> tweak it as necessary to suit your purposes. The only inputs required
> are: 1) total prize fund amount (note: our league divides the prizes
> between "point money" and other prizes - the ratios are there), # of
> wins and losses for each team in each half (can be adjusted for
> quarters, etc.), and names for individuals/teams that win things. All
> other calculations (i.e. male/femal high scratch, series, etc.) are
> automatically done based on how we assign our prize percentages -
> they're in the cell formulae and can be adjusted to accommodate your
> setup.
>
> Hope this helps. :)
>
Hey that would be great if you sent it to me. It might give me a idea
on the formulas.
heres my addy-

litefrozen (at) earthlink.net

Our league does not use halfs or quarters, just a standard 34 week
season with 7 point system with total points figuring position
standings.
in fact here you can see our standing sheet here.

http://www.leaguesecretary.com/Includes/Reports/LeagueFiles.asp?SiteID=1
&LeagueID=24127

Thanks for the help.


05 Oct 2006 22:23:17
litefrozen
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

In article <1160079914.298388.271440@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com >,
PromptJock <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote:

This was a idea for laying out a plan on designing a program or
spreadsheet. (based on how we run our league)

What a prize list generating program or spreadsheet should do-

From the user inputted variables of-
1- Total amount of money in the prize fund.
2- Number of teams.
3- Number of players per team.
4- Name of the league.
5- Distribution (weighting) of the team position awards. Optional

It would make a prize list that could be saved and printed or exported
or copied to be saved and printed. That showed-

A- The name of the league, number of teams and the amount of money in
the prize fund.

B- Team Position Awards-
1- Amount of Each team position from 1st place to last and showing
the per player share.

C- Individual Team Awards-(These can be user inputted.)
1- Team High Series Scratch showing per player share. Paying up to 3
places.
2- Team High Series Handicap showing per player share. Paying up to
3 places.
3- Team High Game Scratch showing per player share. Paying up to 3
places.
4- Team High Game Handicap showing per player share. Paying up to 3
places.

D- Individual Awards Men-(These can be user inputted.)
1- Men's High Series Scratch. Paying up to 3 places.
2- Men's High Series Handicap. Paying up to 3 places.
3- Men's High Game Scratch. Paying up to 3 places.
4- Men's High Game Handicap. Paying up to 3 places.
5- Men's High Average.
6- Men's Most Improved Average.

E- Individual Awards Women-(These can be user inputted.)
1- Women's High Series Scratch. Paying up to 3 places.
2- Women's High Series Handicap. Paying up to 3 places.
3- Women's High Game Scratch. Paying up to 3 places.
4- Women's High Game Handicap. Paying up to 3 places.
5- Women's High Average.
6- Women's Most Improved Average.

F- At least 2 user defined optional awards.

G- Totals for-
1- Team Position Awards.
2- Individual Team Awards.
3- Individual Awards Men.
4- Individual Awards Women.
5- Optional Awards
6- Grand Total of all awards.

The amount of money available for the Team position awards. Would be
figured from the total amount of money in the prize fund minus(-) the
total of all individual team, mens, womens and optional awards.

The per player share would be figured from the team prize divided() by
the number of team members.

The Distribution (weighting) would be a way of adjusting the prize
list. So that you could have more money going to the top teams or the
lower teams getting more or have the list be alot flatter.

The prize list should fit on one sheet of letter size paper (8.5x11).


07 Oct 2006 00:20:32
PromptJock
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

> What a prize list generating program or spreadsheet should do-
(snippity-snip)
> The prize list should fit on one sheet of letter size paper (8.5x11).

The file I sent you pretty much does what you ask - just tweak it for
your needs, etc. :)

As for printing: select "File, Print Preview, Setup..." and tell Excel
to make the selected print range (you have to select the cells to print
before you do this! :) ) fit onto one LANDSCAPE letter sheet.

Hope this helps and good luck. :)



07 Oct 2006 13:59:26
litefrozen
Re: Looking for a prize list program.

In article <1160205632.481558.103190@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com >,
PromptJock <102151.3223@compuserve.com > wrote:

> The file I sent you pretty much does what you ask - just tweak it for
> your needs, etc. :)
>
> As for printing: select "File, Print Preview, Setup..." and tell Excel
> to make the selected print range (you have to select the cells to print
> before you do this! :) ) fit onto one LANDSCAPE letter sheet.
>
> Hope this helps and good luck. :)
>
Thanks for the help Prompt!