05 Oct 2004 18:12:44
Big Dummy
Darts handicapping?

I run an in-house dart league. We get typically 40+ participants each
Monday night. We have some great players and some weak players. We have a
handicapping system in place, but it's 501 based. The players play their
501 games and that'll rate them as A, B, C, D players. The A players spot
the lower ranked players points and marks (if cricket). The problem is the
A players can throw lousy 501 games (almost for sure on purpose) and get a C
rating. They then have to spot no one and then crush their opponents in
cricket or in the playoffs.

Can anyone suggest better ways to create a handicapping system?

Thanks in advance.

05 Oct 2004 18:49:29
Rhatt
Re: Darts handicapping?

The ADA uses a similar system where they take an average of 301 games, a
point per dart average is determined. How many darts per game, does a player
throw to go out in a single/out 301 match.. The PPDA balances quite well
novice players with the more skilled. For example a player with an 18 PPDA
would give up around 100 points in an '01 game to a 10 PPDA. The better
player has to throw to his skill level while giving the novice a chance to
win. This comes even more true when the averages are closer together,
forcing both players to come to their level and beyond to win.
More often than not, the skilled player wins, mostly due IMO, to the
intimidation factor that one feels when playing someone several skill levels
above them. Thats not to say the lower PPDA cant win, they do and often to
the chagrin of the higher average.
Its a great way for introducing the game of competitive darts to the
general public or garage player at the same time providing a challenge to
the more experienced players.
Depending on where you're located, there may be an ADA league office
around, if not, there are plenty of opportunities with them. I dont throw
with them anymore, the franchise is a bit out of the way for me to get to,
but here's their site, and if ya talk to them, tell them the Rhatt sent ya.
http://www.adadarters.com/

Rhatt
(good times all around with them)

"Big Dummy" <april_asitech@yahoo.com > wrote in message
>I run an in-house dart league. We get typically 40+ participants each
> Monday night. We have some great players and some weak players. We have
> handicapping system in place, but it's 501 based. The players play their
> 501 games and that'll rate them as A, B, C, D players. The A players spot
> the lower ranked players points and marks (if cricket). The problem is
> the
> A players can throw lousy 501 games (almost for sure on purpose) and get a
> rating. They then have to spot no one and then crush their opponents in
> cricket or in the playoffs.
>
> Can anyone suggest better ways to create a handicapping system?
>
> Thanks in advance.

06 Oct 2004 00:36:41
Corey Dyke
Re: Darts handicapping?

I'm also running an in-house league. It's just a bunch of friends who get
together every Saturday night for a few games of darts. We play 501 double
in,
double out mixed doubles. Normally there's only 6 of us, hopefully going
to attract more friends in the coming weeks as we just finished our 3rd week
this past Saturday.

I don't do any handicapping. Each team ends up being fairly even, and one
of
our players was an Ontario Provincial champ around 20 years ago. Pretty
much
all of our games are close. We play roughly 12 games a nice, team with the
most
wins takes the cash. (We each throw in 5$ each, winning team gets 20$ min).
We
also have another prize or two, depending on the number of people. Like I
said,
we've only had 6 players each week so far, so it results in a team prize of
20$, and
another prize of 10$, which we decide each week before we start.

I just think even the best players will have shitty games once in a while :)
So we don't
bother to handicap, or even mention it for that matter.

Corey

"Rhatt" <rhatt@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> The ADA uses a similar system where they take an average of 301 games,
> a point per dart average is determined. How many darts per game, does a
> player throw to go out in a single/out 301 match.. The PPDA balances quite
> well novice players with the more skilled. For example a player with an
> 18 PPDA would give up around 100 points in an '01 game to a 10 PPDA. The
> better player has to throw to his skill level while giving the novice a
> chance to win. This comes even more true when the averages are closer
> together, forcing both players to come to their level and beyond to win.
> More often than not, the skilled player wins, mostly due IMO, to the
> intimidation factor that one feels when playing someone several skill
> levels above them. Thats not to say the lower PPDA cant win, they do and
> often to the chagrin of the higher average.
> Its a great way for introducing the game of competitive darts to the
> general public or garage player at the same time providing a challenge to
> the more experienced players.
> Depending on where you're located, there may be an ADA league office
> around, if not, there are plenty of opportunities with them. I dont throw
> with them anymore, the franchise is a bit out of the way for me to get to,
> but here's their site, and if ya talk to them, tell them the Rhatt sent
> ya.
> http://www.adadarters.com/
>
> Rhatt
> (good times all around with them)
>

> "Big Dummy" <april_asitech@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I run an in-house dart league. We get typically 40+ participants each
>> Monday night. We have some great players and some weak players. We have
>> handicapping system in place, but it's 501 based. The players play their
>> 501 games and that'll rate them as A, B, C, D players. The A players
>> spot
>> the lower ranked players points and marks (if cricket). The problem is
>> the
>> A players can throw lousy 501 games (almost for sure on purpose) and get
>> a C
>> rating. They then have to spot no one and then crush their opponents in
>> cricket or in the playoffs.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest better ways to create a handicapping system?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

07 Oct 2004 03:14:04
Hairbear
Re: Darts handicapping?

Is there a start chart or a marks chart to assist in the handicapping?

For example.. a player with a 10 handicap (10 PPDA) would start at
something like 261 when playing a player with a 15 PPDA.

TIA

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:36:41 GMT, "Corey Dyke"
<calgarykingsfan@hotmail.com > wrote:

> [...]
>> http://www.adadarters.com/
>>
>> Rhatt
>> (good times all around with them)
>>

>> "Big Dummy" <april_asitech@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I run an in-house dart league. We get typically 40+ participants each
>>> Monday night. We have some great players and some weak players. We have
>>> handicapping system in place, but it's 501 based. The players play their
>>> 501 games and that'll rate them as A, B, C, D players. The A players
>>> spot
>>> the lower ranked players points and marks (if cricket). The problem is
>>> the
>>> A players can throw lousy 501 games (almost for sure on purpose) and get
>>> a C
>>> rating. They then have to spot no one and then crush their opponents in
>>> cricket or in the playoffs.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest better ways to create a handicapping system?

07 Oct 2004 05:27:27
Rhatt
Re: Darts handicapping?

Exactly, and. I have one somewhere that I could post up....if I can find a
way to get around their copyrights and legalese..

Rhatt