13 May 2004 15:48:17
Tom Runge
Need info on Biagio Cue

I picked up a very beautiful Biagio (Biaggio?) cue that is about 15
years old. It has very long and sharp points, bordered by 4 different
color veneers. Each point has 4 small square inlays in a line. The
butt has 4 window boxes, and each has 30 small checkerboard inlays
surrounded by three different veneers. It is obviously very well made,
and rivals any custom cue that I have seen from the late 80s or early
90s, before CNC became the norm. I have been trying to find out about
the cue brand, but there is not much on the internet about it. I ran
across an old post from Danny James saying that he built a few cues
with that name for Crystal Leisure, but these had the word Joss on
them along with the Biagio name, as far as I can tell. This cue had
the word Biagio on the lower butt above the bumper, but is no longer
there due to the cue being refinished. I had been told that one of
the large cue manufacturers set up production of these cues overseas,
with the cues being built to their specifications and quality
requirements. I have read posts with the name McDermott, Adams, and
Helmstetter being linked to Biagio. Apparently they were not produced
for too long, as there are not that many around. I would appreciate
it a lot if anyone with anymore knowledge of this would respond, and
if anyone desires to see the cue I can email some pictures. Thanks
for the help.

Tom in New Orleans

13 May 2004 22:52:39
Jimbo Ct
Re: Need info on Biagio Cue

Far as I know they were one in the series of Adams cues made back around 87-92
another name in the line was Strombolini or something. They weren't that
expensive at the time and don't have much value now. Sorry I don't have any
more info.

Jim<-------Has also heard of a Joss line by the same name???

14 May 2004 04:10:44
dalecue
Re: Need info on Biagio Cue

Tom Runge wrote in message ...
>I picked up a very beautiful Biagio (Biaggio?) cue that is about 15
>years old. It has very long and sharp points, bordered by 4 different
>color veneers. Each point has 4 small square inlays in a line. The
>butt has 4 window boxes, and each has 30 small checkerboard inlays
>surrounded by three different veneers. It is obviously very well made,
>and rivals any custom cue that I have seen from the late 80s or early
>90s, before CNC became the norm. I have been trying to find out about
>the cue brand, but there is not much on the internet about it. I ran
>across an old post from Danny James saying that he built a few cues
>with that name for Crystal Leisure, but these had the word Joss on
>them along with the Biagio name, as far as I can tell. This cue had
>the word Biagio on the lower butt above the bumper, but is no longer
>there due to the cue being refinished. I had been told that one of
>the large cue manufacturers set up production of these cues overseas,
>with the cues being built to their specifications and quality
>requirements. I have read posts with the name McDermott, Adams, and
>Helmstetter being linked to Biagio. Apparently they were not produced
>for too long, as there are not that many around. I would appreciate
>it a lot if anyone with anymore knowledge of this would respond, and
>if anyone desires to see the cue I can email some pictures. Thanks
>for the help.
>
>Tom in New Orleans

Biagio was a 'house brand' offered by Crystal Leisure<Colorado >,
a billiard product distributor
the 'Biago' cues were originally made by Adam Cues<owned by Dick
Helmstetter >
the production was later switched to Danny James of Joss East - I am
not aware of 'Joss' appearing on the Biagio cues, but it could have

AFAIK, McDermott was never involved in Biagio

as far as 'rivals custom cues.....' I wouldn't expect many people to agree
with that opinion

Dale

14 May 2004 05:19:38
Tom Runge
Re: Need info on Biagio Cue

Dale - Thanks for the info. I apologize for the wording I used when
I discussed the quality of the cue. I actually meant that I thought
it was as nice as most of the nicer production cues of the era, and
had a brain fart when I used the word custom.

Tom

On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:10:44 GMT, "dalecue"
<pdgill@worldnet.spamex.net > wrote:

>Tom Runge wrote in message ...
>>I picked up a very beautiful Biagio (Biaggio?) cue that is about 15
>>years old. It has very long and sharp points, bordered by 4 different
>>color veneers. Each point has 4 small square inlays in a line. The
>>butt has 4 window boxes, and each has 30 small checkerboard inlays
>>surrounded by three different veneers. It is obviously very well made,
>>and rivals any custom cue that I have seen from the late 80s or early
>>90s, before CNC became the norm. I have been trying to find out about
>>the cue brand, but there is not much on the internet about it. I ran
>>across an old post from Danny James saying that he built a few cues
>>with that name for Crystal Leisure, but these had the word Joss on
>>them along with the Biagio name, as far as I can tell. This cue had
>>the word Biagio on the lower butt above the bumper, but is no longer
>>there due to the cue being refinished. I had been told that one of
>>the large cue manufacturers set up production of these cues overseas,
>>with the cues being built to their specifications and quality
>>requirements. I have read posts with the name McDermott, Adams, and
>>Helmstetter being linked to Biagio. Apparently they were not produced
>>for too long, as there are not that many around. I would appreciate
>>it a lot if anyone with anymore knowledge of this would respond, and
>>if anyone desires to see the cue I can email some pictures. Thanks
>>for the help.
>>
>>Tom in New Orleans
>
>Biagio was a 'house brand' offered by Crystal Leisure<Colorado>,
>a billiard product distributor
>the 'Biago' cues were originally made by Adam Cues<owned by Dick
>Helmstetter>
>the production was later switched to Danny James of Joss East - I am
>not aware of 'Joss' appearing on the Biagio cues, but it could have
>
>AFAIK, McDermott was never involved in Biagio
>
>as far as 'rivals custom cues.....' I wouldn't expect many people to agree
>with that opinion
>
>Dale

14 May 2004 14:41:41
dalecue
Re: Need info on Biagio Cue

Tom Runge wrote in message ...
>Dale - Thanks for the info. I apologize for the wording I used when
>I discussed the quality of the cue.

> I actually meant that I thought
>it was as nice as most of the nicer production cues of the era,

on that I would agree - Adam in, in those days, had top quality
for production cues - I had a 'plain jane' rosewood model that was
as well made as any cue I am familiar with

Dale

and
>had a brain fart when I used the word custom.
>
>Tom
>

>On Fri, 14 May 2004 04:10:44 GMT, "dalecue"
><pdgill@worldnet.spamex.net> wrote:
>

>>Tom Runge wrote in message ...
>>>I picked up a very beautiful Biagio (Biaggio?) cue that is about 15
>>>years old. It has very long and sharp points, bordered by 4 different
>>>color veneers. Each point has 4 small square inlays in a line. The
>>>butt has 4 window boxes, and each has 30 small checkerboard inlays
>>>surrounded by three different veneers. It is obviously very well made,
>>>and rivals any custom cue that I have seen from the late 80s or early
>>>90s, before CNC became the norm. I have been trying to find out about
>>>the cue brand, but there is not much on the internet about it. I ran
>>>across an old post from Danny James saying that he built a few cues
>>>with that name for Crystal Leisure, but these had the word Joss on
>>>them along with the Biagio name, as far as I can tell. This cue had
>>>the word Biagio on the lower butt above the bumper, but is no longer
>>>there due to the cue being refinished. I had been told that one of
>>>the large cue manufacturers set up production of these cues overseas,
>>>with the cues being built to their specifications and quality
>>>requirements. I have read posts with the name McDermott, Adams, and
>>>Helmstetter being linked to Biagio. Apparently they were not produced
>>>for too long, as there are not that many around. I would appreciate
>>>it a lot if anyone with anymore knowledge of this would respond, and
>>>if anyone desires to see the cue I can email some pictures. Thanks
>>>for the help.
>>>
>>>Tom in New Orleans
>>
>>Biagio was a 'house brand' offered by Crystal Leisure<Colorado>,
>>a billiard product distributor
>>the 'Biago' cues were originally made by Adam Cues<owned by Dick
>>Helmstetter>
>>the production was later switched to Danny James of Joss East - I am
>>not aware of 'Joss' appearing on the Biagio cues, but it could have
>>
>>AFAIK, McDermott was never involved in Biagio
>>
>>as far as 'rivals custom cues.....' I wouldn't expect many people to agree
>>with that opinion
>>
>>Dale

15 May 2004 18:56:02
rhncue
Re: Need info on Biagio Cue

McDermott made a cue around 96 for another company and I believe it was "
Biagio " or another name very similar. I was working out of a shop in Col.
at the time and Corn Fed Reds got some in. I don't remember much about them
now.
Dick

--
Building and repairing of custom pool cues
for real pool players. Over 35 years exp.