25 Apr 2006 01:14:23
Robert
Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
anyone would like a copy please email me.

Rob

25 Apr 2006 06:55:22
Grumman-581
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Robert" <osiris@woden.com > wrote in message
> I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
> anyone would like a copy please email me.

Have you considered writing it in Javascript and putting it on a web page?
I did it that way when I wanted a quick calculator for bullet energy...
http://www.geocities.com/grumman581/bullet-energy.htm

25 Apr 2006 16:55:09
Zamatim

"Grumman-581" <grumman581@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM@gmail.com > wrote in message
> "Robert" <osiris@woden.com> wrote in message
>> I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
>> anyone would like a copy please email me.
>
> Have you considered writing it in Javascript and putting it on a web page?
> I did it that way when I wanted a quick calculator for bullet energy...
> http://www.geocities.com/grumman581/bullet-energy.htm

That's nice, but what if you don't want to be on-line to use the program?

Zamatim

25 Apr 2006 08:56:26

"Zamatim" <someone@microsoft.com > wrote in message
> That's nice, but what if you don't want to be on-line to use the program?

Then you just copy the HTML file to your local machine and run a URL like
this from your browser:
file://c:/local-html-files/bullet-energy.htm

Unfortunately, Yahoo sticks some crap ad code in your HTML files when you
upload it to their site, so if your ISP provides personal home page
capability, that might be a better option (if they also don't add code to
your HTML files)... For example, compare the HTML file from my previous link
to the geocites.com site with this one on my RoadRunner site:
http://home.houston.rr.com/grumman581/bullet-energy.htm

25 Apr 2006 09:39:53
Grumman-581
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Robert" <osiris@woden.com > wrote in message
> I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
> anyone would like a copy please email me.

Maybe something like this?
http://home.houston.rr.com/grumman581/scuba-gas-calc.htm

25 Apr 2006 07:58:00
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Grumman-581" <grumman581@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM@gmail.com > wrote in message
> "Robert" <osiris@woden.com> wrote in message
>> I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
>> anyone would like a copy please email me.
>
> Have you considered writing it in Javascript and putting it on a web page?
> I did it that way when I wanted a quick calculator for bullet energy...
> http://www.geocities.com/grumman581/bullet-energy.htm

I did one for both Nitrox and bullet energy and then loaded them on to my
PDA. Not at all complicated.

Lee

25 Apr 2006 08:00:19
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Zamatim" wrote

> That's nice, but what if you don't want to be on-line to use the program?

Then you write your own formulas or pay someone that has.

Frankly, if you can't do these calculations reliably with a hand calculator,
you probably should have paid more attention in your nitrox class and
probably should reconsider whether you should be breathing the stuff until
you can.

Lee

25 Apr 2006 12:14:38

"Lee Bell" <pleebell2@bellsouth.net > wrote in message
> I did one for both Nitrox and bullet energy and then loaded them on to my
> PDA. Not at all complicated.

Yep, as a language, HTML is pretty ugly, but it's easy enough to put up a
minimal web application like this... Pretty damn simple formulas... Hell of
a lot easier than the Great Circle distance calculations... The only thing
that gets you sometimes is when you write for IE and then find it is letting
you get away with stuff that more compliant browsers (e.g. FireFox) won't
allow... For example, with IE, you didn't need to explicitly reference
"document.getElementById()" for each value to be retrieved from the page by
your Javascript routines...

On of the main advantages of doing it as HTML based with Javascript is that
potential users can examine your source code to see if they agree with the
way you did your calculations... Hopefully, if any of mine are wrong,
someone will tell me... The Nitrox app was just something that I hacked out
over a period of about 2 hours or so tonight for shits and giggles...

25 Apr 2006 13:58:01
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Grumman-581" wrote

> On of the main advantages of doing it as HTML based with Javascript is
> that
> potential users can examine your source code to see if they agree with the
> way you did your calculations... Hopefully, if any of mine are wrong,
> someone will tell me... The Nitrox app was just something that I hacked
> out
> over a period of about 2 hours or so tonight for shits and giggles...

I can't do shit in any kind of code any more. It's been way too long since
I even tried. The last programming I did outside of a sophisticated
commercial package was a Jeopardy game I did in BASIC for a staff conference
more than 20 years ago.

Lucky for me, Lotus, Excel and similar programs accept formulas in cells
with little or no resistance.

I shared my Nitrox spreadsheet, which includes EAD, MOD and PPO2
calculations as well as conversions of Meters to Feet or Feet to Meters, PSI
to BAR or BAR to PSI, Liters to Cubic Feet or Cubic Feet to Liters and
Celsius to Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit to Celsius, just after I created it,
but stopped offering it in public shortly thereafter. I'm not paid to take
the liability risk for those that might misuse it.

Lee

25 Apr 2006 18:21:05
Chuck Tribolet
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

You shouldn't need a program for that, just some simple tables or EXPERIENCE.

MOD you will quickly learn for your typical mixes and your favored max PPO2
(and a simple one-page table tucked into your logbook will give you a place to
look it up till then).

EAD is useful in the real world for demonstrating WHY Nitrox works. Actually
calculations are done either by the computer on your wrist, or the computer that
runs your profile for the dive.

"Robert" <osiris@woden.com > wrote in message news:5gfr42523vrleo4o1g9e36pmqdk5bpap27@4ax.com...
>I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
> anyone would like a copy please email me.
>
> Rob

25 Apr 2006 22:10:31
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote

> MOD you will quickly learn for your typical mixes and your favored max
> PPO2
> (and a simple one-page table tucked into your logbook will give you a
> place to
> look it up till then).

Personally, I don't have typical mixes. I custom mix for many of my dives.
The MOD calculation is just a double check.

> EAD is useful in the real world for demonstrating WHY Nitrox works.
> Actually
> calculations are done either by the computer on your wrist, or the
> computer that
> runs your profile for the dive.

My Excel spreadsheet was designed to let me plan my gas to match my dive and
to remove at least some of the human error potential.

Lee

26 Apr 2006 13:46:16
Zamatim

> "Chuck Tribolet" wrote
>
>> MOD you will quickly learn for your typical mixes and your favored max
>> PPO2
>> (and a simple one-page table tucked into your logbook will give you a
>> place to
>> look it up till then).
>
> Personally, I don't have typical mixes. I custom mix for many of my
> dives. The MOD calculation is just a double check.

Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have paid
more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider whether
you should be breathing the stuff until you can." You wouldn't need a Excel
spreadsheet or a program to check what you're doing, would you? :)) Sorry,
I couldn't resist.

>> EAD is useful in the real world for demonstrating WHY Nitrox works.
>> Actually
>> calculations are done either by the computer on your wrist, or the
>> computer that
>> runs your profile for the dive.
>
> My Excel spreadsheet was designed to let me plan my gas to match my dive
> and to remove at least some of the human error potential.
>
> Lee

26 Apr 2006 05:00:32

> Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
> calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have
paid
> more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider whether
> you should be breathing the stuff until you can." You wouldn't need a
Excel
> spreadsheet or a program to check what you're doing, would you?

I've found that for certain things like this, I can better understand it if
I write a program to be able to do it... Once you write a program to do it,
you definitely understand it well enough to do it by hand... Kinda weird, I
guess...

26 Apr 2006 15:04:48
Zamatim

> "Zamatim" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
>> calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have
> paid
>> more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider
>> whether
>> you should be breathing the stuff until you can." You wouldn't need a
> Excel
>> spreadsheet or a program to check what you're doing, would you?
>
> I've found that for certain things like this, I can better understand it
> if
> I write a program to be able to do it... Once you write a program to do
> it,
> you definitely understand it well enough to do it by hand... Kinda weird,
> guess...

That totally works for me as well, it's the other rhetoric that some think
we just need to hear that really isn't needed.

Thanks for the input!

26 Apr 2006 07:18:22

> That totally works for me as well, it's the other rhetoric that some think
> we just need to hear that really isn't needed.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't be able to do the calcs by hand...
Personally, I dive air... I don't really see a purpose in a gas that doesn't
let me go down as far nor lets me get as narced as I would like... <grin >
I've never really bothered to study the equations until the OP mentioned his
program and I commented that a web version of it might be better... I
figured, what the 'ell, and wrote it myself... Oh well, I had been meaning
to learn those equations anyway... Things like this are easy to put up a
quick web based calculator on... Something like VPlanner would be a little
bit more work... I believe in using the right tool for the job... Sometimes
that's a command line program, sometimes it's an HTML based web app,
sometimes it's written in more conventional programming languages like 'C',
'C++', or APL...

26 Apr 2006 07:23:17
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Zamatim" wrote

>> Personally, I don't have typical mixes. I custom mix for many of my
>> dives. The MOD calculation is just a double check.

> Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
> calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have
> paid more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider
> whether you should be breathing the stuff until you can." You wouldn't
> need a Excel spreadsheet or a program to check what you're doing, would
> you? :)) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No problem. I don't need the Excel spreadsheet. It's a convenience.

Lee

26 Apr 2006 07:26:02
Lee Bell
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

"Zamatim" wrote
> Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
> calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have
> paid more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider
> whether you should be breathing the stuff until you can."

I failed to mention this earlier. I have a small, inexpensive, solar
powered calculator living in the box with my O2 analyzer.

Lee

27 Apr 2006 10:42:18
Zamatim
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

;))

> "Zamatim" wrote
>> Oh, wait a minute, I thought you said "Frankly, if you can't do these
>> calculations reliably with a hand calculator, you probably should have
>> paid more attention in your nitrox class and probably should reconsider
>> whether you should be breathing the stuff until you can."
>
> I failed to mention this earlier. I have a small, inexpensive, solar
> powered calculator living in the box with my O2 analyzer.
>
> Lee

28 Apr 2006 07:30:12
www.save-money-diving.com via

Robert wrote:
>I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
>anyone would like a copy please email me.
>
>Rob
Rob can you send me a copy to ...travelwild@hotmail.com ... thanks

03 May 2006 09:40:14
El Mecky
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

Same here! Iff available I'd like a copy of both the program and the
excell-sheet.

Could be sent to "elmecky at hotmail dot com"

Thanx!

Frank

"www.save-money-diving.com via ScubaMonster.com" <u21233@uwe > schreef in
bericht news:5f70fcab98732@uwe...
> Robert wrote:
>>I have written a program to calculate MOD and EAD for nitrox, if
>>anyone would like a copy please email me.
>>
>>Rob
> Rob can you send me a copy to ...travelwild@hotmail.com ... thanks

22 May 2006 20:39:42
Okidiver
Re: Nitrox - MOD and EAD Calculator

Sweet, good work (and it jives with my tables...;-)

--
Rapid Rick
"Just dive, baby"