22 Aug 2007 05:10:00
Dennis Crabtree
Sherwood "The Source" dive computer

Can someone explain how to change batteries for a "The Source" dive computer
from Sherwood, or direct me to a site that does?
Dennis

22 Aug 2007 17:18:21
Dennis Crabtree
Re: Sherwood "The Source" dive computer

"Dennis Crabtree" <dennis@nisbiz.com > wrote in message
> Can someone explain how to change batteries for a "The Source" dive
> computer from Sherwood, or direct me to a site that does?
> Dennis

Found an answer.

Early models of "The Source" MUST be serviced by an authorized service
center. Later models were designed to be more user-friendly - they have a
battery compartment with a cover that can be removed using a coin.

There are two lithium ion batteries and an o-ring that need attention, when
the compartment is opened. The o-ring should be replaced, and the new one
should be coated with silicone to provide a good seal.

30 Aug 2007 09:37:46
CB

"Dennis Crabtree" <usenets@nisbiz.com > wrote in message

> "Dennis Crabtree" <dennis@nisbiz.com> wrote in message
>> Can someone explain how to change batteries for a "The Source" dive
>> computer from Sherwood, or direct me to a site that does?
>> Dennis
>>

> Found an answer.
>
> Early models of "The Source" MUST be serviced by an authorized service
> center. Later models were designed to be more user-friendly - they have a
> battery compartment with a cover that can be removed using a coin.

I replaced the battery in my "Wisdom" using the coin method. I unfortunately
over tightened it so that the next I tried to open it, the plastic slot was
destroyed. I had to send it into Sherwood. It cost me 240 bucks. The display
had corrupted the second time. I thought a new battery would do the trick.

Money well spent for the security it provides

> There are two lithium ion batteries and an o-ring that need attention,
> when the compartment is opened. The o-ring should be replaced, and the
> new one should be coated with silicone to provide a good seal.

Do not over tighten the battery cover!

30 Aug 2007 10:45:21
Charlie Giannetto
Re: Sherwood "The Source" dive computer

In article <46d6c82a$0$15339$4c368faf@roadrunner.com >, CB
<CB@PrayForMe.com > wrote:

> I replaced the battery in my "Wisdom" using the coin method. I unfortunately
> over tightened it so that the next I tried to open it, the plastic slot was
> destroyed. I had to send it into Sherwood. It cost me 240 bucks. The display
> had corrupted the second time. I thought a new battery would do the trick.
>
> Money well spent for the security it provides

Expensive lesson ... I purchased a pair of extra battery compartment
covers for my Wisdom from ScubaToys <www.scubatoys.com > when I did the
same thing to mine. Fortunately, I was able to get it off using a
thin, flat steel wrench that made better contact across the entire door
slot. I don't think they list this item on their web site but if you
call or email them they will be able to get them for you. I think they
were something like $15 each. I'm not sure why they aren't part of the
battery change kit to be honest (like they are for my old trusty Suunto
Mosquito).

> Do not over tighten the battery cover!

Words of "wisdom" my friend :-)

03 Sep 2007 22:11:43
Adam Helberg

"CB" <CB@PrayForMe.com > wrote in message

> "Dennis Crabtree" <usenets@nisbiz.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dennis Crabtree" <dennis@nisbiz.com> wrote in message
>>> Can someone explain how to change batteries for a "The Source" dive computer from
>>> Sherwood, or direct me to a site that does?
>>> Dennis
>>>

>> Found an answer.
>>
>> Early models of "The Source" MUST be serviced by an authorized service center.
>> Later models were designed to be more user-friendly - they have a battery
>> compartment with a cover that can be removed using a coin.
>
> I replaced the battery in my "Wisdom" using the coin method. I unfortunately over
> tightened it so that the next I tried to open it, the plastic slot was destroyed. I
> had to send it into Sherwood. It cost me 240 bucks. The display had corrupted the
> second time. I thought a new battery would do the trick.
>
> Money well spent for the security it provides
>

>> There are two lithium ion batteries and an o-ring that need attention, when the
>> compartment is opened. The o-ring should be replaced, and the new one should be
>> coated with silicone to provide a good seal.
>
> Do not over tighten the battery cover!

Usually the water seal is formed with an O ring which uses pressure to make a seal,
so there is not a lot of point in using lots of force to tighten the cover.

Adam