26 Jan 2007 11:15:51
M. Guerreiro
Marker M1 Binding installation

Has any of you ever installed the Marker M1 bindings?
I just got a pair of these for my K2 Apache Crossfire skis and I
couldn't believe the instruction manual!
It shows that you only need to set the M1 binders on the railings of
the skis and turn one screw that locks the bindings in place....no
screws going into the ski !!!
Is that all it takes? Or is extra drilling needed?

After the binding is installed are there any other "tunning"
considerations besides adjusting for boot size and Din setting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

26 Jan 2007 14:20:29
VtSkier
Re: Marker M1 Binding installation

M. Guerreiro wrote:
> Has any of you ever installed the Marker M1 bindings?
> I just got a pair of these for my K2 Apache Crossfire skis and I
> couldn't believe the instruction manual!
> It shows that you only need to set the M1 binders on the railings of
> the skis and turn one screw that locks the bindings in place....no
> screws going into the ski !!!
> Is that all it takes? Or is extra drilling needed?
>
> After the binding is installed are there any other "tunning"
> considerations besides adjusting for boot size and Din setting?
>

> Thanks in advance for your help.

That's it.

However, I'd have a competent shop torque test even new bindings.
You probably don't have the equipment for this test.

26 Jan 2007 14:57:32
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
> M. Guerreiro wrote:
>
>> Has any of you ever installed the Marker M1 bindings?
>> I just got a pair of these for my K2 Apache Crossfire skis and I
>> couldn't believe the instruction manual!
>> It shows that you only need to set the M1 binders on the railings of
>> the skis and turn one screw that locks the bindings in place....no
>> screws going into the ski !!!
>> Is that all it takes? Or is extra drilling needed?
>>
>> After the binding is installed are there any other "tunning"
>> considerations besides adjusting for boot size and Din setting?
>
> That's it.
>
> However, I'd have a competent shop torque test even new bindings.
> You probably don't have the equipment for this test.

Further, by taking them to a shop you ensure that the forward pressure
is set properly. If the forward pressure isn't set correctly, the DIN
setting is irrelevant - you may pop out at the slightest torque or you
may stay in well beyond the torque necessary to spiral a tibia.

Fortunately, it's fast and inexpensive to have your bindings adjusted
and tested - the last time I took mine in it was 10 minutes and $15 for
the whole shebang.

//Walt

28 Jan 2007 18:18:26
M. Guerreiro
Re: Marker M1 Binding installation

Thank you for the replies. I ended up having the store install it, but
I felt that $50 for a 10 min job was a bit much. I will call them and
find out if they did a torque test when they installed the bindings,
because if they didn't I would feel conned for $50 just to turn one
screw into the lock position.

29 Jan 2007 02:44:46
lal_truckee

M. Guerrero wrote:
> Thank you for the replies. I ended up having the store install it, but
> I felt that $50 for a 10 min job was a bit much. I will call them and
> find out if they did a torque test when they installed the bindings,
> because if they didn't I would feel conned for $50 just to turn one
> screw into the lock position.

Your receipt should show the DIN indicator setting and the actual
release torque measured by their equipment. Even so, $50 is steep IMO;
even for actual drilling and honest screw mounted bindings and torque
testing $50 would be steep. I'd find another shop for future work..

29 Jan 2007 02:13:06
JQ

"M. Guerreiro" <miguel.guerreiro@talecris.com > wrote in message
> Thank you for the replies. I ended up having the store install it, but
> I felt that $50 for a 10 min job was a bit much. I will call them and
> find out if they did a torque test when they installed the bindings,
> because if they didn't I would feel conned for $50 just to turn one
> screw into the lock position.

If you feel the shop over charged you go speak to the owner or shop head
manager.
First find out what other shops in the area are charging for the same thing
then inform,
the manager of the their over inflated charges. Now if you had other work
done at the
same time that's another story. $50 for mounting and release testing is
steep. Keep in
mind it doesn't matter if it takes 10 minutes or one hour it is the work
that is being done.
Some jobs don't take as long as others but the charge may still be the same
depending
on how the shop sets up their rates and charges.

JQ
Dancing on the edge