03 Jan 2006 05:32:04
prenex
How to remove grips?

I just bought a pair of 155cm Swix CT3 ski poles. How do I remove the
grips so I can cut them down to 152.5cm? The store where I bought them
from said they couldn't do it because they came epoxied direct from
Swix, yet I see replacement grips being sold online. Is there a way to
get them off?

03 Jan 2006 06:01:34
sknyski
Re: How to remove grips?

It shouldn't be epoxy. Use a hairdryer to heat up the grips and soften
the glue. Be extra careful if they're cork grips.

bt

03 Jan 2006 08:38:55
Gene Goldenfeld
Re: How to remove grips?

If they are cork, I'd suggest aiming the heat an inch or so below the
grip to be safe. Swix cork is cheap and double seamed, and
disintegrates after one or more liquid heatings (not sure about heat).
Surprising they haven't brought it up to industry standards after all
these years.

GG

"sknyski" <sknyski@yahoo.com > wrote:

> It shouldn't be epoxy. Use a hairdryer to heat up the grips and
> soften the glue. Be extra careful if they're cork grips.
>
> bt

03 Jan 2006 06:45:45
delltodd
Re: How to remove grips?

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
> If they are cork, I'd suggest aiming the heat an inch or so below the
> grip to be safe. Swix cork is cheap and double seamed, and
> disintegrates after one or more liquid heatings (not sure about heat).
> Surprising they haven't brought it up to industry standards after all
> these years.
>
> GG

In a skipost this year, it was discussed that swix finally came up with
a more robust cork grip. A friend's CT2's, purchased in August, with
around 10 short ski sessions, have dropped the cork grips (older type).
He never even heated them to remount the grips. They simply failed. I
hope his shop will back him up on that, with the new ones.

I would say, having tried to remount swix cork grips, that they are a
one shot design. Plan on purchasing a new pair before you try to heat
them off. Mine fell right apart when I did that.

03 Jan 2006 07:10:49
Jim Grau
Re: How to remove grips?

I bought a pair of Swix CT3 poles last year and removed the grips
because I couldn't quite get used to the straps for some reason ---
replaced them with the Excel grips and straps I've been using for
several years. Anyway, I used a heat gun and they came off about as
easy as most other grips I've taken off. I had read all the warnings
about how difficult it can be to remove cork grips, so I was a bit
apprehensive about taking on the task, but I really had no abnormal
trouble. Since I didn't put them back on I don't know if I damaged
them in any way, but they look OK to me.

Jim

03 Jan 2006 07:20:25
prenex
Re: How to remove grips?

Thanks all. Mine must be the newer ones since I just bought them.
The ski shop employee must be wrong then.

03 Jan 2006 11:11:52
Gene Goldenfeld
Re: How to remove grips?

Cork grips have a plastic liner inside, which is why taking them off
or putting them on is not a problem, per se. It's the off/on repeat
under heat that undoes the cork's attachment to the plastic.

Do Excel grips now work on Swix poles? It used to be the Excels were
oval shaped.

Gene

"Jim Grau" <grauja@yahoo.com > wrote:

> I bought a pair of Swix CT3 poles last year and removed the grips
> because I couldn't quite get used to the straps for some reason ---
> replaced them with the Excel grips and straps I've been using for
> several years. Anyway, I used a heat gun and they came off about as
> easy as most other grips I've taken off. I had read all the warnings
> about how difficult it can be to remove cork grips, so I was a bit
> apprehensive about taking on the task, but I really had no abnormal
> trouble. Since I didn't put them back on I don't know if I damaged
> them in any way, but they look OK to me.
>
> Jim

03 Jan 2006 09:48:33
Camilo
Re: How to remove grips?

prenex wrote:
> I just bought a pair of 155cm Swix CT3 ski poles. How do I remove the
> grips so I can cut them down to 152.5cm? The store where I bought them
> from said they couldn't do it because they came epoxied direct from
> Swix, yet I see replacement grips being sold online. Is there a way to
> get them off?

The grips (and baskets) are held on by a glue that is like the hot glue
you use in your home hot glue gun. You can soften it and release it by
heating.

If the grips are plastic, dip them in hot water (be careful, not too
hot).

If they are cork, as others have said, Swix cork grips are very crummy
- a serious, defective design which they won't support with any
replacement cork parts. If you loose the cork- which is VERY common -
you have to buy an new PAIR of complete grips. You can't just buy the
cork, and you can't just buy one grip. Really fries my a$$, but I like
their straps so I'm stuck with it... and there's a way to avoid
problems, see below.

You can get cork grips off - heat very slowly and gently with a heat
gun, or better yet, a hair dryer (a hair dryer is less likely to toast
or burn the cork). Eventually they will release. The cork might come
off too, but that's solvable.

If the cork comes off or gets loose from this - or just because of the
crummy design, use a normal hot glue gun to reattach the cork to the
grip. It can really salvage the cork if it comes off or gets loose.
You can cobble together parts of the cork if it breaks into pieces.

I had to work on my BRAND NEW swix cork grips - injecting hot glue into
all the seams - because they came with wide gaps in the seams and loose
edges. The glue solved the problem. I prefer the hot glue gun over
the little tins of "pole glue" that the ski shops sell. It's easier to
work with and I really think it's essentially the same.

When you re-glue your grips, I suggest you just glue a the bottom edge,
the plastic part. That should be plenty strong to hold the grip and
very easy to remove later.

Camilo

03 Jan 2006 12:11:31
Gene Goldenfeld
Re: How to remove grips?

I've seen the Swix pro straps alone for as low as $39. I think they
had a price drop this year, but some stores still have last year's
stock. Last summer I bought some Alluteam and Allulite poles for the
straps, put some old Swix straps on and sold the poles at the swap
meet.

On the plastic grips and others' cork (Infinity, Yoko, Jenex), boiling
water has worked fine.

Gene

"Camilo" <campascual@yahoo.com > wrote:

> If you loose the cork- which is VERY common -
> you have to buy an new PAIR of complete grips. You can't just buy the
> cork, and you can't just buy one grip. Really fries my a$$, but I
> like their straps so I'm stuck with it... and there's a way to avoid
> problems, see below.

03 Jan 2006 10:43:44
highpeaksops@yahoo.com
Re: How to remove grips?

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
> Cork grips have a plastic liner inside, which is why taking them off

My Swix grips lost the cork and I did not find a liner, it was more
like a plastic "frame" that the cork sat on. It allowed a tiny little
space which insulates the grip a bit, but also allowed it to move
around. It is virtually impossible to remove without heating the cork.

I agree with other's advice - to reglue the cork, use a hot melt
adhesive and apply to the frame only, try not to get it on the pole
shaft.

Regards,
- Bob

03 Jan 2006 10:51:27
Camilo
Re: How to remove grips?

I couldn't fit the straps on the grips I had (Toko/yoko), so I had to
buy the grips too. If I ever have to replace the grips - most likely
because of cork failure - I'm going to see if the Swix straps fit on
some other line of better quality cork grips. For example, my 4 or so
year old Excel cork grips have excellent, solid cork. My real old Swix
Alulite poles have excellent, solid, cork grips (but old style loop
straps). I tried to take those off to fit onto my high-end poles, and
see if I could fit the current swix straps on them, but couldn't budge
them with the heat gun before the cork started toasting. Maybe I'll
try hot water - nothing to loose really.

03 Jan 2006 12:37:45
Jim Grau
Re: How to remove grips?

The Excel grips I have are older models for the older round Excel
shafts, which happen to be the same diameter as Swix CT3 at least.
These grips and straps are very hard to find now.

Jim

03 Jan 2006 18:59:43
Norski
Re: How to remove grips?

You might want to remove the straps before you heat the grips. I used a heat
gun to remove some cork grips and had to get it fairly warm to loosen the
glue and slide the grip off. The next time I went out to ski, the straps
broke and you could see where the heat had damaged the straps where they go
into the grip.

--
Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC

Ashland, WI.
54806
Sales@BayDesignBuild.com

"prenex" <prenex@gmail.com > wrote in message
> I just bought a pair of 155cm Swix CT3 ski poles. How do I remove the
> grips so I can cut them down to 152.5cm? The store where I bought them
> from said they couldn't do it because they came epoxied direct from
> Swix, yet I see replacement grips being sold online. Is there a way to
> get them off?

03 Jan 2006 22:39:22
Re: How to remove grips?

swix changed the glue this year on their new poles.

so far at gear west i have only been able to successfully remove one
pair of grips from the 2005-06 poles. i have removed literally
hundreds of grips from swix ski poles over the past few years, and i
can confidently say that the current glue is _not_ heat sensitive.

hopefully they can return to the more user-friendly glue in the future.

-phil

04 Jan 2006 00:56:57
Gene Goldenfeld
Re: How to remove grips?

All the Swix grips? I bought two AluTeams in Sept at your store with
what I was told were the new grips and I was able to take them off
easily with boiling water. The new grips are the ones with the extra
top piece, right?

Gene

philip.a.bowen@gmail.com wrote:

> swix changed the glue this year on their new poles.
>
> so far at gear west i have only been able to successfully remove one
> pair of grips from the 2005-06 poles. i have removed literally
> hundreds of grips from swix ski poles over the past few years, and i
> can confidently say that the current glue is _not_ heat sensitive.
>
> hopefully they can return to the more user-friendly glue in the
> future.
>
> -phil

03 Jan 2006 23:42:54
Re: How to remove grips?

upon further review, i am speaking about the cork grips: star CT1, team
CT2, carbon CT3.

customers of the higher-end poles tend to be more finicky about
specific lengths, so those poles are the ones that we receive requests
for specific lengths (147cm, not 147.5cm etc.).

yes, the new grips have the new wedge on top.

-phil

04 Jan 2006 09:25:41
Norski
Re: How to remove grips?

The grips I had to use high heat on were KV2 Gamma poles that a friend has.
The glue was really working.

<philip.a.bowen@gmail.com > wrote in message
> upon further review, i am speaking about the cork grips: star CT1, team
> CT2, carbon CT3.
>
> customers of the higher-end poles tend to be more finicky about
> specific lengths, so those poles are the ones that we receive requests
> for specific lengths (147cm, not 147.5cm etc.).
>
> yes, the new grips have the new wedge on top.
>
> -phil

05 Jan 2006 10:36:39
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz
Re: How to remove grips?

I think the key with cork grips is that you have to heat them slowly.
It takes a while for the heat to transfer from the outside of the grip
to the inside. If you're impatient and heat too quickly, that's hard on
the cork. Also, Swix sells the handles separate from the straps (or
baskets for that matter), so if you cook your handles, you don't have
to buy straps. BTW, I saw some CT1's in Joes that had a dark waxy
finish over the cork as compared to normal cork. The cork also seemed
pretty dense. I think Swix is starting to change things.

Jay Wenner