26 Jan 2005 18:09:51
Howard
NNN vs NNN II bindings

I have a set of skis and boots with NNN II bindings. My feet have
grown, so I went to the local ski shop for the next size boot. They had
never heard of NNN II, and tried to sell me boots marked NNN. The boots
seemed to fit in the ski bindings.

So, I'm confused. Should I use the NNN boots with my NNN II bindings?
Whats the difference between NNN and NNN II?

Howard

26 Jan 2005 14:25:59
Camilo
Re: NNN vs NNN II bindings

"Howard" <nospam@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I have a set of skis and boots with NNN II bindings. My feet have
> grown, so I went to the local ski shop for the next size boot. They had
> never heard of NNN II, and tried to sell me boots marked NNN. The boots
> seemed to fit in the ski bindings.
>
> So, I'm confused. Should I use the NNN boots with my NNN II bindings?
> Whats the difference between NNN and NNN II?
>
> Howard

Howard: are the boots new? If so, they are most likely NNN-II. I think
it's more than 10 years since the original NNN (aka NNN-I).

Two differences: the exact way the toe of the boots fits into the binding
is slightly different but can be changed by changing the rubber bumper on
the binding.

NNN-I bindings have plates with ridges that run only af far as the "toe
part" of the boot - about to mid-arch. The boots therefore have
corresponding grooves in the soles only back about to the arch. NNN-II
bindings have full lenth ridges and corresponding grooves in the boots.

Look at the bottom of the boots. The soles should have two longitudinal
grooves running the whole length. These grooves correspond to the
full-length ridges on the plate of the NNN-II binding.

Bring the skis in and see if the boots fit the bindings.

You can use NNN-II boots with NNN-I bindings. You probably "could" use
NNN-I boots with NNN-II bindings, but the heel of the boot would sit up on
top of the binding's ridges rather than having grooves in the sole at that
place.

Cam

27 Jan 2005 05:28:12
The Martins
Re: NNN vs NNN II bindings

Howard wrote:
> I have a set of skis and boots with NNN II bindings. My feet have
> grown, so I went to the local ski shop for the next size boot. They had
> never heard of NNN II, and tried to sell me boots marked NNN. The boots
> seemed to fit in the ski bindings.
>
> So, I'm confused. Should I use the NNN boots with my NNN II bindings?
> Whats the difference between NNN and NNN II?
>
> Howard
The NNN2 binding and boot setup has the metal bar on the boot tucked
about 10mm back from the from of the boot sole, the NNN1 boot has the
bar right at the front edge of the sole. You can use NNN2 boots on a
NNN1 binding with a special rubber flexer installed but you can't use a
NNN1 boot in the NNN2 or NNN3 binding.

27 Jan 2005 08:39:35
Terje Henriksen
Re: NNN vs NNN II bindings

"The Martins" <we.xcski@verizon.net > skrev i melding

> The NNN2 binding and boot setup has the metal bar on the boot tucked
> about 10mm back from the from of the boot sole, the NNN1 boot has the
> bar right at the front edge of the sole. You can use NNN2 boots on a
> NNN1 binding with a special rubber flexer installed but you can't use a
> NNN1 boot in the NNN2 or NNN3 binding.

I do.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

01 Mar 2005 07:40:24
Mark
Re: NNN vs NNN II bindings

Terje Henriksen wrote:
> "The Martins" <we.xcski@verizon.net> skrev i melding
>

>>The NNN2 binding and boot setup has the metal bar on the boot tucked
>>about 10mm back from the from of the boot sole, the NNN1 boot has the
>>bar right at the front edge of the sole. You can use NNN2 boots on a
>>NNN1 binding with a special rubber flexer installed but you can't use a
>>NNN1 boot in the NNN2 or NNN3 binding.
>

> I do.

This interests me. I also have considered NNN boots onto new NNN2
bindings. Do you have any trouble with the heel being perched higher, or
have you "modded" it ? I mean by cutting two grooves (with a hot knife
or whatever) in the heel part of the boot ?

06 Mar 2005 19:36:24
Terje Henriksen
Re: NNN vs NNN II bindings

Mark wrote:
> Terje Henriksen wrote:
>> "The Martins" <we.xcski@verizon.net> skrev i melding
>>

>>> The NNN2 binding and boot setup has the metal bar on the boot tucked
>>> about 10mm back from the from of the boot sole, the NNN1 boot has
>>> the bar right at the front edge of the sole. You can use NNN2
>>> boots on a NNN1 binding with a special rubber flexer installed but
>>> you can't use a NNN1 boot in the NNN2 or NNN3 binding.
>>

>> I do.
>>

> This interests me. I also have considered NNN boots onto new NNN2
> bindings. Do you have any trouble with the heel being perched higher,
> or have you "modded" it ? I mean by cutting two grooves (with a hot
> knife or whatever) in the heel part of the boot ?

No, I used them as they were.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes