15 Jan 2005 23:06:36
wintermutt
SNS vs. NNN

hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
thankyou.
bill
sacramento

16 Jan 2005 00:32:25
Camilo
Re: SNS vs. NNN

"wintermutt" <sacwmf@comcast.net > wrote in message
> hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
> i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
> except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
> thankyou.
> bill
> sacramento

Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking about
the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well the boot
fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that boot.

Cam

16 Jan 2005 12:39:20
Adam Gale
Re: SNS vs. NNN

What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference. I
personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are
right, no interchanging.

Camilo wrote:
> "wintermutt" <sacwmf@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
>>i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
>>except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
>>thankyou.
>>bill
>>sacramento
>

> Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking about
> the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well the boot
> fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that boot.
>
> Cam

16 Jan 2005 13:32:05
Terje Henriksen
Re: SNS vs. NNN

"Adam Gale" <adamgale@warp.nfld.net > skrev i melding
> What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
> Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference. I
> personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are
> right, no interchanging.

On my old SNS bindings, the rubber flex kept falling off after some time.
Hasn't happened with my NNN bndings yet.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

17 Jan 2005 04:16:18
Re: SNS vs. NNN

Adam Gale wrote:
> What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
> Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference.
> personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are

> right, no interchanging.
>

> Camilo wrote:
> > "wintermutt" <sacwmf@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
> >>i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
> >>except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
> >>thankyou.
> >>bill
> >>sacramento
> >

> > Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking
about
> > the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well
the boot
> > fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that
boot.

> > Cam

Bill, If you find there is not much to choose between boots, I would
suggst that you go with the binding that is used most where you ski
most. It makes swapping skis easier. If you can, get the family
standardised on one binding.

Alex

18 Jan 2005 19:04:02
Jim Park
Re: SNS vs. NNN

I have both SNS and NNN skis/boots. I find that both are good. However there
is one annoying thing that I find with NNN boots.

I live in an area which doesn't always have full snow coverage. Often I have
to take off my skis to walk across a road that is covered with cinders or
gravel. The narrower grooves on the bottom of my NNN boots often get small
stones stuck in them. I have to dig them out otherwise they interfere with
the binding. This does not happen with SNS because the single groove in the
boot is much wider. Too wide to get gravel stuck.

So far this is the only "practical" difference that I've found.

<twmbarlwm@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> Adam Gale wrote:
>> What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
>> Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference.
>> personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are
>
>> right, no interchanging.
>>

>> Camilo wrote:
>> > "wintermutt" <sacwmf@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> > Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking
> about
>> > the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well
> the boot
>> > fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that
> boot.
>> >
>> > Cam
>> >

> Bill, If you find there is not much to choose between boots, I would
> suggst that you go with the binding that is used most where you ski
> most. It makes swapping skis easier. If you can, get the family
> standardised on one binding.
>
> Alex

18 Jan 2005 10:35:44
Camilo
Re: SNS vs. NNN

Another couple of things to consider - just thrown out because I'm wasting
time today.

Someone mentioned keeping your family on one system. I agree - at least for
the family members who have a reasonable chance of using each others'
equipment and/or growing into it. For example, I always tried to keep my
kids in NNN gear because they could hand-me-down and also the other families
we know who would give gear back and forth tended to have NNN. It worked
out well. Another family we know stuck with the Salomon system for the
same reasons.

Now, I'm the sole man in a three woman family. My girls (wife and
daughters) are all around the same height and weight or will be when they're
grown up. So, it's to everyone's advantage for them to be in the same
system. It's already been a benefit as my HS daughter has found her mom's
classic skis can be faster, and mom doesn't really care - so they've
switched. It turns out that two of them really fit better in Alpina boots
and the other has only found Rossignol to be satisfactory. They've tried
Salomon system boots but haven't found them (luckily) to be significantly
better, in fact, not at all.

The above mentioned family sticks with Salomon system for the exact same
reasons.

Something I ran across recently that gives somewhat of a nod to NNN - or
Salomon profil (not Pilot): Skiathlons (AKA pursuit races). Assuming you
don't want to buy or use combi boots for skiathlon format races, being in
NNN or Profil (not Pilot) systems for both classic and skating gear gives
you the option of using either your striding OR skating boots for both legs
of the race. If you have mixed systems, you have to change boots. If you
have Profil for striding skis and Pilot for skating, you do have the option
of using your Pilot boots for both legs, but not vice versa. This is the
system I have and I absolutely HATE to stride in my skating boots, and
therefore had to change boots for the dual technique race. I would have
gladly skated in my classic boots but didn't have that option.

Just some musings.

Camilo

19 Jan 2005 02:53:12
Gary Jacobson
Re: SNS vs. NNN

"wintermutt" <sacwmf@comcast.net > wrote in message
> hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
> i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
> except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
> thankyou.
> bill
> sacramento

I use both systems and have a strong favorite- NNN.
I think it is a sturdier binding over all, and the rubber flexors are firmly
attached. The sole plates are stronger and easier to remount if the need
arises.

I have had one of the newer NNN bindings break but it was likely the first
run of the binding. I think maybe the plastic was brittle. Since then the
NNN's I've had have sustained robust handling with no problems..

The newest version of NNN attaches to the ski with no screws. (I think.)
Can't imagine what the benefits are.

If the question is if one should choose a system based on the binding, then
I say that it is the boot that counts.

I think that Sportful and Alfa flipped from NNN to Salomon a few years back
but I wonder if a boot manufacturer could at once make boots under each
license.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

20 Jan 2005 04:54:30
wintermutt
Re: SNS vs. NNN

what is the difference between NNN and NNN2 and NNNbc?
and also will NNN2 bindings work with NNN boots and also the other way
around?
thankyou.

20 Jan 2005 06:49:11
SkiFit
Re: SNS vs. NNN

The original NNN system rembled NNN2 where the binding meets the boot,
but did not have the grove binding/boot interface. With the grooves,
there is now greater connection between binding and ski, which allows
for greater control and energy transfer. NNN and NN2 systems NNN-BC
(backcountry) resembles the old system, but is both wider and
presumbably heavier duty for true back country skiing. However, I
think most backcountry/telemark skiers continue to use three-pin. I
ski on skinny skis, so I'm not sure about advantages there. Each of
these systems is distinct and cannot be used with the other, and I
doubt you coud buy NNN now, it has gone the way of the Super Eight
camera.

A.

20 Jan 2005 07:48:39
Bob L
What about NIS?

Since no one else has asked ....

Any thoughts on the newest newer new NNN, ie NIS?
It appears to be very compatible with NNN3, but the binding is
"integrated" with the ski. The position of the binding along
the ski is adjustable. Is that a useful feature? A gimmick?
Do a google on "NIS Nordic Integrated" for details.

21 Jan 2005 09:40:07
David Dermott
Re: SNS vs. NNN

On 20 Jan 2005, wintermutt wrote:

> what is the difference between NNN and NNN2 and NNNbc?
> and also will NNN2 bindings work with NNN boots and also the other way
> around?

So "flexor" is the name of the rubber thingy in front of the boot
toe.
As Mitch says at one time you could buy flexors to convert NNN-1
bindings so they would work with NNN-2 boots. One can also carve up the
original NNN-1 flexor so that it fits.

Going the other way (NNN-1 boots in NNN-2 bindings) is a little more
tricky- the original flexor isn't long enough to touch the boot toe. I
think they also sold a special flexor for that.

The NNN-1 system only lasted for a few years, as did the original
Salomon D-ring binding. I had both. I was really annoying to change
boots and bindings every few years.

There is no easy way to make NNN-BC compatible with NNN-2, the sizing
of the groves and toe bar is different.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: dermott@ns.sympatico.ca

23 Jan 2005 19:33:41
diane
Re: SNS vs. NNN

I'm new so I wouldn't notice the difference, but I just bought new NNN-BC
bindings and Alpina boots on EBay. I like them so far on my Fisher metal
edged back country skis. It was well noted that the bindings and boots had
to be BC.

I have a second set of skis that were part of a older "racing package" I
didn't know any better when I bought these. 50m 3 pin bindings and a shoe
style boot that came apart on the 4th day, we just put 75 m bindings on this
pair. the skis are 1/4 inch narrower but I think will be fine till we get
more experience.

BTW backcountry.com was a good site to shop at. free shipping, and I would
have saved $10 on the 3 pin bindings if I had known of the site at the time.

--
Diane in NH