20 Jan 2004 15:10:57
agale
Ski waxing stand

Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
a good design.

AGale

20 Jan 2004 10:27:42
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: Ski waxing stand

This is discussed often in this group. Use Google groups
(http://groups.google.com)to check out past discussion.

JT

20 Jan 2004 13:19:20
Griss
Re: Ski waxing stand

"agale" <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message
> Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
> I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
> a good design.
>

> AGale

Here's one example.
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Equipment/BuildYourOwn.asp

21 Jan 2004 09:40:43
daveXCski
Re: Ski waxing stand

Check out this one...

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3652587780&category=21232&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
> Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
> I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
> a good design.
>

> AGale

22 Jan 2004 00:07:46
agale
Re: Ski waxing stand

Thanks to those who replied to help!!

daveXCski wrote:
> Check out this one...
>
> http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3652587780&category=21232&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
>

> agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
>
>>Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
>>I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
>>a good design.
>>

>>AGale

22 Jan 2004 00:28:08
Anders Lustig
Re: Ski waxing stand

Not really an answer to the question, but as a rather
neat, simple , compact and actually working solution:
http://www.johanlind.com/

(Needless to say, this is the one I have - although
Im not allowed to use it in the kitchen!)

Anders

22 Jan 2004 14:43:18
agale
Re: Ski waxing stand

Seeing I can't understand whats on the page, ha, how much did you spend
on this system. Its relatively simple yet looks quiet good. I like how
it uses your binding system for support.

How much is it?

Anders Lustig wrote:
> Not really an answer to the question, but as a rather
> neat, simple , compact and actually working solution:
> http://www.johanlind.com/
>
> (Needless to say, this is the one I have - although
> Im not allowed to use it in the kitchen!)
>

> Anders

22 Jan 2004 09:35:46
Griss
Re: Ski waxing stand

Since I earlier mentioned a link for a home made waxing form, I'll comment
again 8-).

After tinkering with and improving my self-designed, home made waxing form
many times and now have it set up nicely, I have to say this: If you need
it soon and can afford it, just spend $100 on a commercially form from a
place like Reliable Racing, your local ski shop, etc. My home made job
works great, but it's quite heavy and large and I've put a lot of time into
it tweeking - making it length adjustable, mounting it in a "box" to
collect mess from wax scrapings, better plywood/wingnut clamps to hold ski,
etc. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get a Swix (or other) portable
form that I could clamp onto my shop bench (or kitchen table) and also
travel with if that need ever arises. This is a good example:
http://www.reliableracing.com/WintersportsCatalog/detail.cfm?edp=10737955&category=2300

Griswold

22 Jan 2004 17:25:22
revyakin
Re: Ski waxing stand

Here's my baby. Took a weekend to make. Some of my skiing buddies say
it's an overkill though.

http://www.xcskihighpoint.com/skibench1.jpg
http://www.xcskihighpoint.com/skibench2.jpg
http://www.xcskihighpoint.com/skibench3.jpg
http://www.xcskihighpoint.com/skibench4.jpg

22 Jan 2004 18:25:55
Adalbert
Re: Ski waxing stand

agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
> Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
> I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
> a good design.
>

> AGale

here's my home built bench
http://home.cogeco.ca/~aschuh/Wax%20Bench/

22 Jan 2004 18:28:51
Adalbert
Re: Ski waxing stand

agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
> Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
> I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
> a good design.
>

> AGale
...sorry...here is the text to go with the pictures...

Here is a simple wax bench made from 2 pieces of 2"x6"x75" cedar. It
is adjustable to fit any size or length of ski. The 1st piece makes
the base, which can be clamped into a "Workmate" or onto a table or
bench top. The other parts are cut from the 2nd piece of cedar,using
the camber profile of your most often waxed ski. These pieces slide in
the side rails to adjust for different lengths of skis. I also have a
wedge that fits in the back to adjust for extra camber when required.
The clamping pieces and rails are cut from the remainder of the 2nd
piece. I made this almost 10 yrs ago and it has worked great for me.
Here is the link to some pics."A pic is worth a thousand words"

23 Jan 2004 04:28:01
agale
Re: Ski waxing stand

Thanks a lot. This is definately a "doable" structure that can be
portable as well. The only think I would have a problem with is
rounding the cedar to fit the ski profile. What did you use? planer,
sander?
I'm a university student so I'm a bit strapped for tools

Adalbert wrote:
> agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
>
>>Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
>>I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
>>a good design.
>>

>>AGale
>
> ...sorry...here is the text to go with the pictures...
>
> Here is a simple wax bench made from 2 pieces of 2"x6"x75" cedar. It
> is adjustable to fit any size or length of ski. The 1st piece makes
> the base, which can be clamped into a "Workmate" or onto a table or
> bench top. The other parts are cut from the 2nd piece of cedar,using
> the camber profile of your most often waxed ski. These pieces slide in
> the side rails to adjust for different lengths of skis. I also have a
> wedge that fits in the back to adjust for extra camber when required.
> The clamping pieces and rails are cut from the remainder of the 2nd
> piece. I made this almost 10 yrs ago and it has worked great for me.
> Here is the link to some pics."A pic is worth a thousand words"

22 Jan 2004 23:47:55
Anders Lustig
Re: Ski waxing stand

agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message news:<400FE872.6080509@nf.sympatico.ca>...

> Seeing I can't understand whats on the page, ha, how much did you spend
> on this system. Its relatively simple yet looks quiet good. I like how
> it uses your binding system for support.
> How much is it?

> > http://www.johanlind.com/

Its listed at 50, but I snapped up mine for 10:-)
Other transportable (metal) stands(1) may come with legs,
but they cost twice as much, weigh four times as much
and dont fit inside a shoebox.

(1) http://www.sporttikojootti.fi/sivut/voiteluteline.htm
for instance.

Anders

23 Jan 2004 10:27:35
revyakin
Re: Ski waxing stand

I simply put a ski on a board, drew its contour with a marker pen, cut
the 2 profiles out with a $10 handsaw, and finished with a coarse
sandpaper.
In fact, I also was a student, And, actually, I made the bench right
in the living room of my dorm with 3 roommates looking. :)

> Thanks a lot. This is definately a "doable" structure that can be
> portable as well. The only think I would have a problem with is
> rounding the cedar to fit the ski profile. What did you use? planer,
> sander?
> I'm a university student so I'm a bit strapped for tools

23 Jan 2004 17:07:16
Adalbert
Re: Ski waxing stand

agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca > wrote in message news:<4010A9BD.7010403@nf.sympatico.ca>...
> Thanks a lot. This is definately a "doable" structure that can be
> portable as well. The only think I would have a problem with is
> rounding the cedar to fit the ski profile. What did you use? planer,
> sander?
> I'm a university student so I'm a bit strapped for tools
>

> Adalbert wrote:
> > agale <a.gale@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<400D4BD3.1050001@nf.sympatico.ca>...
> >
> >>Anyone have any designs for a homemade waxing stand.
> >>I need to build one in a few days and I'd like to see if anyone else has
> >>a good design.
> >>

> >>AGale
> >
> > ...sorry...here is the text to go with the pictures...
> >
> > Here is a simple wax bench made from 2 pieces of 2"x6"x75" cedar. It
> > is adjustable to fit any size or length of ski. The 1st piece makes
> > the base, which can be clamped into a "Workmate" or onto a table or
> > bench top. The other parts are cut from the 2nd piece of cedar,using
> > the camber profile of your most often waxed ski. These pieces slide in
> > the side rails to adjust for different lengths of skis. I also have a
> > wedge that fits in the back to adjust for extra camber when required.
> > The clamping pieces and rails are cut from the remainder of the 2nd
> > piece. I made this almost 10 yrs ago and it has worked great for me.
> > Here is the link to some pics."A pic is worth a thousand words"

I used a saber saw, then smoothed and rounded with a rasp and
sandpaper. If you can't borrow a saw from someone, you should be able
to rent one cheaply.