12 Jan 2005 08:07:35
Dave Mayo-Kiely
Toko Poles/Grips

Heard from a shop owner yesterday what Nathan said a few months ago here,
Toko is getting out of the pole business after this year. He didn't know
the status of their grip/strap system.

Does anyone with connections to Toko know what their plans are for the 232
system? I was actually going into the shop to buy new grips and straps but
now will hold off, don't want to get into a system that is being
descontinued.

As a side note, I am going with the Toko because I can't get replacements
for my Exel Evolution straps.

Dave

12 Jan 2005 08:29:45
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:07:35 -0500, "Dave Mayo-Kiely"
<mayokiely@deletemsn.com > wrote:

> I can't get replacements
>for my Exel Evolution straps.

I just got some Exel straps that are supposed to replace the
Evolutions from the New Moon ski shop and they are OK, but not great.
Quite a bit lighter but also much less supportive. Interestingly they
came with a little doohickey that seems like it would allow straps
from other companies (like Swix, Rex, KV2, INfinity) to work with Exel
Evolution grips. I may try that soon.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

12 Jan 2005 05:41:11
Jim Kelley
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

I just bought a new pair of 232s last Sunday, so I didn't need to hear
this. Hopefully grips and straps will still be available from
somewhere in the future. I really like the strap system after skiing
on Exel for as long as I can remember.

12 Jan 2005 06:33:14
Jim Kelley
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

Reply from Ian Harvey at Toko to my email regarding this issue:

This is correct. There are plenty of straps on the market now and I
anticipate them being available at least through the end of the season.
We may have parts and more poles next fall, this depends on inventory
in
Switzerland.
Thanks for your interest in Toko
Ian Harvey
Toko USA

12 Jan 2005 10:09:58
Dave Mayo-Kiely
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

Thanks Jim

Quite a bummer though. I was all set to make the big switch on several
poles to Toko, now I am not so sure. Wonder what their reasons are? Seems
like most of the peopel I tlak to that use the 232 system really like it.

Dave

"Jim Kelley" <Jim_sub3@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Reply from Ian Harvey at Toko to my email regarding this issue:
>
> This is correct. There are plenty of straps on the market now and I
> anticipate them being available at least through the end of the season.
> We may have parts and more poles next fall, this depends on inventory
> in
> Switzerland.
> Thanks for your interest in Toko
> Ian Harvey
> Toko USA

12 Jan 2005 08:38:32
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

This is insane! They cant just kill this system. I got it when it was
YOKO 232 two years ago.
I like it, my wife likes it, there is nothing better to grab a water
bottle in a race. I use straps alone for warm weather and
rollerskiing
too.

12 Jan 2005 11:02:15
Gene Goldenfeld
Re: Toko Poles/Grips

I've had a love-hate relationship with the 232s, and especially
Yoko/Toko's nonstandard and frequently changing implementation of it.
It's been increasingly popular on the WC and elite level circuit, but I
wonder if it's made any dent on the retail side. Perhaps entering the
pole market was an attempt to do so, and in the end a business decision
to exit the entire market. It couldn't have helped their cause to make
grips that require cutting poles shorter than other brands' grips
required, thus rendering poles useless if the buyer wanted to switch
back (and not being up front about it).

GG