26 Aug 2003 09:55:45
Frank Howe
APA Nationals

Well I know that some of the people here do not like or participate in the
APA but
there are a few that do.
I spent a full week there and played a ton of pool. I was not in any of the
main tournaments
but I played in my fair share of mini's.
It was like a pool player/gamblers heaven. Over 150 tables in the Mini
tournament room
just by itself. I saw people I knew form all over the US and met lots of
new people
from almost every state. There seemed to be a lot from Ohio, Il, and the
north east.
I spent some time with poster GaryR as I already knew him from back home and
I can tell
you the he and Kim, his better half, got in their fair share of play. I am
sure they played in close to the
maximum amount that they could and faired well in most. I won a few and
got second in a few more.
Only in 3-4 events did I not place in the money. Most times I lost to a
very good opponnet.

There were lots of vendors and sideline events going on as well. I won 2
cues while there a Falcon and a Fury.
Falcon was in a break contest and the Fury I won by breaking and running a
rack of nine ball. It was 10 bucks
a shot but I figured what the hell and gave it a try. You recieved a
T-shirt and raffle tickets no matter what.
now I have a Fury for sale. Falcon already gone. Great prices on cues,
cases and all things pool related.
The Gabriels Pro event was there and
I watched a few sessions of that. Very good seating and viewing. Only 6
tables and close seats.

Only once all week did I see anything that was close to an arguement and
it wasn't much. Dr. Cue was there and
he put on shows at least daily with smaller sessions where he and another
artistic pool player, Darling,
went thru almost every imaginable shot around and explained all of the new
artistic competetions.
Both were very skilled in these shots.

There was some action but not as much as I would have liked to see or
thought that there
would be. I saw Jason Kirkwood played and he can really get after it. I
may have just missed
most of the gambling but I did see non-APA hustlers everywhere. I was
surprised at the amount of people
there. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood.
The Riviera is not the nicest places but is okay for this and most employees
were pool player friendly.
It had to be weird for non pool playing guests to see that many people with
cases playing casinao games and
walking around with them strapped to their backs.
I am going to return next year again wether I am on a quailfing team or not
as it was a very good time
frank howe

26 Aug 2003 11:28:11
lfigueroa
Re: APA Nationals

Frank, tanks for the great trip report.

Lou Figueroa

"Frank Howe" <frankhowe@vzavenue.net > wrote in message
> [...]
> artistic competetions.
> Both were very skilled in these shots.
>
> There was some action but not as much as I would have liked to see or
> thought that there
> would be. I saw Jason Kirkwood played and he can really get after it. I
> may have just missed
> most of the gambling but I did see non-APA hustlers everywhere. I was
> surprised at the amount of people
> there. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood.
> The Riviera is not the nicest places but is okay for this and most
employees
> were pool player friendly.
> It had to be weird for non pool playing guests to see that many people
with
> cases playing casinao games and
> walking around with them strapped to their backs.
> I am going to return next year again wether I am on a quailfing team or

27 Aug 2003 00:04:46
Gary Robinson
Re: APA Nationals

Good trip report Frank, and I'll add a little....

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:55:45 GMT, "Frank Howe"
<frankhowe@vzavenue.net > wrote:

>I spent some time with poster GaryR as I already knew him from back home and
>I can tell
>you the he and Kim, his better half, got in their fair share of play. I am
>sure they played in close to the
>maximum amount that they could and faired well in most.

We didn't do as well as we did last year and back in April at the
Singles, but we still had a great time in the Mini room. Kim and I did
manage 2nd place in a 32 bracket Mixed Scotch Doubles open skill
level. In a race to four 8-Ball, the tournament started at 8:00PM and
didn't finish until about 4:30AM! That long walk back to Circus Circus
almost killed us afterwards but we must have had a good time because
we couldn't stop smiling. The only thing is I had tickets for the
11:00PM session to see the pros play. Missed the Charlie Williams and
Efren rematch, this time Efren got him and went on to win it all.

>I won a few and
>got second in a few more.
>Only in 3-4 events did I not place in the money. Most times I lost to a
>very good opponnet.

Losing to the current US Amateur Champion is not bad, especially when
you had him beat and hung that 9-Ball with perfect shape to get out.
And on the hill, man I know you had to be hating life at that moment
but you showed an extreme amount of class. I enjoyed watching your
matches that I happened to catch. The one against Kenny was strong as
new rope. He came out firing and running out, but you didn't let him
run over you and you made a great come back to win it.

>There were lots of vendors and sideline events going on as well. I won 2
>cues while there a Falcon and a Fury.
>Falcon was in a break contest

Kim won a Falcon on that break contest thing in the 1st hour we were
in Vegas! She made the 9-Ball on her second break. They gave a lot of
those cues away. Cheers to the Falcon booth!

>The Gabriels Pro event was there and
>I watched a few sessions of that. Very good seating and viewing. Only 6
>tables and close seats.

Deuel was hitting them pretty good. I got to see him whip Souquet. We
saw Efren hit full stride in his match against Harriman. Archer played
well. Massey cashed. I missed seeing Bustamante, Parica and a few
others I wanted to watch play. Saw the end of Varner's elimination
match.

How would you like to be Hopkins in that tournament. Win your first
round, then draw Deuel and play him close but lose 10-9. Then in the
next round on the loser's side pull Parica and get blown away. Talk
about a tough tournament!

>Dr. Cue was there and
>he put on shows at least daily with smaller sessions where he and another
>artistic pool player, Darling,

Dr Cue is amazing. I watch almost every show he had every day. Andy
Segal was his opponent in the Artistic Pool thing though. They both
put on a great show with the demonstration match. And Dr. Cue's
regular show will have you rolling in the aisles with is humor. His
knowledge of the various diamond systems was very helpful and he would
spend time (probably more than he should) with you before or after his
shows explaining in detail one on one. I soaked up all I could.

We picked up a few good tips from Allison Fisher as well during her
shows. That Lady is pure class.

>There was some action but not as much as I would have liked to see or
>thought that there
>would be.

More action in the small practice rooms than in the Mini room. But
still, like you, over all I didn't see a lot of action this time.

>I am going to return next year again wether I am on a quailfing team or not
>as it was a very good time

We will be there with you Frank, maybe the Singles in April too.
Its way too much fun to miss.

Almost 600 8-Ball teams and over 200 9-Ball teams (at 5 to 8 players
per team!) not to mention the 3-man, Double 8-Ball, Double 9-Ball,
Ladies team, Mini's almost 24hrs a day, and the pros.... that's more
people than I can put a number on.

Oh, and I tried to get Mr Bludworth to spill the beans on what he had
planned in more detail for Grady's cue but didn't get any more than I
had already read.

Among the list of the "celebrities" that we saw were (in no order):

Bustamante
Reyes
Deuel
Parica
Buddy Hall
Fisher
Dodson
Campos
Massey
Dr Cue
Souquet
Varner
Archer
Hopkins
Andy Segal
Immonen
Thorsten Hohmann
Tony Robles
Eberle
Feijen

That's pretty good company huh?

Can you tell we had a blast?

-GaryR

28 Aug 2003 10:01:28
Michael Johnson
Re: APA Nationals...My Report

We also had a good time. Everything seemed to be going right for us.
We were leaving Kansas City where it was 100+ degrees the whole week,
and received some relief as it was mid 90s a couple of days with some
cloud cover. I got to the airport, and it was the 1st time since 9/11 I
didn't have to take my shoes off. We get to the Rio and they lost the
reservations for 2 of our players but set them up in a 1600 sq ft suite
with 180* view. Our other rooms weren't bad either. I could tell the
stars were lining up for something special. Our 1st match wasn't
until 1pm tuesday, so we took advantage and did some drinking at the Voo
Doo lounge. Wow!!! The girls were unbelievable. We went across the
street to Pinkies(sp) where we paid $10 each and got to play free pool
and see the best wet T-shirt contest I ever saw.
1 pm came quickly, so we headed over for our 1st match. The
opposing team from Marietta Ga. only had 3 players on their roster but
they were strong for their hdcps. They won 2 matches but couldn't get
the third so e were on to our next match which wasn't until 8 am on
wednesday.
We had lunch at the Nascar Cafe then split up. One of our players
went to get married.
I went back to the Rio and won around $800 playing some game
called crazy 4 poker. I wish they'd get that game here in KC.
I was wore out so i bought 50 games of Keno and went to my room.
Our next match was against a team from Aurora Co. They were a tough
team and it came down to the 5th match but our 6 who lost the 1st game
to a 4SL, came back and won 5 in a row to send us on to 1pm Thursday.
Match #1 on thursday was against a team from Indiana. We beat them
3-1 which gave us about an hour til our next match. We grabbed a quick
bite and were pitted against a team from Pa. They were about an hour
outside of Philly. Once again it came down to our 6SL playing a 4SL. He
won the 1st game but quickly lost the next two. Again he had to win 4 in
a row for us to advance, and did.
Our next match was 11pm. We had an hour to kill and we were all
dead tired. We couldn't start our next match on time because our
opponents were still playing. Finally, their match ended and it was a
team from Chicago we'd be playing next.
This is where our trip went sour. Our 1st match was Our 5SL vs.
their 4SL. They were a very slow team. Slow playing and slow coaching.
Their player was taking 45 seconds to a minute or more, on every single
shot. It took 50 minutes to play 3 games. We went and complained to the
referee. Supposedly, he warned their team captain. It didn't help and we
had to go back to the referee who was sitting at the next table talking
and laughing with 2 different teams. I guess he warned them again and
you could see their player was trying to play faster but was still
taking 30+ secs. per shot. We ended up losing that match 3-3 in an hour
and a half.
I (6SL) played another 4SL next. This guy wasn't quite as slow as
their 1st guy in deciding what shot to take, but after he lined up, he
would take about 25(I'm not kidding) practice strokes before actually
shooting. I won this match 5-1 and the 6 games took 1 hour and 10
minutes. One of those games was a break n run which took about 2
minutes. By the way, they were supposedly warned twice about slow play
and about slow coaching during this match.
Match #3 was our 6SL against another 4SL. This guy was slow too,
so I skipped the referee and went to the floor manager. He just backed
the referee without even checking anything out. We won this match 5-2.
Now we have 20 minutes to get the 4th match in so we don't have to
play sudden death race to 1 in the 5th match.
We have a 3SL vs a 4SL. This 4 happens to be their best 4 yet. This
match was going faster than the others and their player won the 1st two
games. The guy breaks game 3 and makes nothing. We get an idea and go to
the referee. We ask him if there's still time to play a full 5th match
if our guy knocks in the 8 ball. He said yes, theres still 30 seconds
left. Our guy knocks in the 8, losing 3-0. The other team comes unglued
when the referee says we have to play a full 5th match. But just as
quick as he says that, he changes his mind and said its a race to 1.
They have a 7SL vs our 3 SL in a race to 1. Their reasoning was that we
hadn't lagged by the 3 hour 45 minute time limit. What a joke. We were
going sudden death because of their slow play and they gain a huge
advantage.
Its been nearly a week, but I've cooled down now. We may have
gotten cheated, but maybe not. We just wanted a fair 5 matches. Anyways,
it was a great time. I couldn't play any minis because I usually wait
until thursday to play when our team is knocked out.
All in all, i guess 33rd place out of 596 teams aint bad. No one
from our area did better. Wait til next year.

Mike Johnson

28 Aug 2003 21:00:02
J. Rogers
Re: APA Nationals

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:04:46 -0700, Gary Robinson <nospam@nospam.com >
wrote:

>How would you like to be Hopkins in that tournament. Win your first
>round, then draw Deuel and play him close but lose 10-9. Then in the
>next round on the loser's side pull Parica and get blown away. Talk
>about a tough tournament!

How about Mika getting seeded in the first round and still having to
play the current World Champion!

J.

28 Aug 2003 18:04:46
Gary Robinson
Re: APA Nationals

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:19:09 GMT, "Frank Howe"
<frankhowe@vzavenue.net > wrote:

>Is there other tournaments and Minis going on there in March as well?

Yep, they do Mini's and stuff there during Single Nationals too. Not
as long or as big, but still enough to have fun. You see a lot of the
same folks coming put for the Mini's

>league play alot because of the banter and seeing friends but I really miss
>just playing, gambling, and practicing on big nice tables.
>I have been frustrated with not having nice big tables close out here that
>me and another guy are going to look into opening one closer to us.

Our Double Jeopardy (8 & 9-Ball) Divsion is moving to 9ft Brunswick
GC's next session starting next Thursday. It will be nice shooting on
"real" tables again.

>Good to see you and Kim as well as the rest of the gang and will definitely
>get to
>Phoenix sometime soon I am sure.

Looking forward to that Frank.

-Gary R