03 Feb 2004 14:36:53
Mark Maxey
Best Deal in Custom Cues

What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.

I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

03 Feb 2004 19:49:41
Erik Jørgensen
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

* Mark Maxey (i_own_you@hotmail.com):

> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.

Perhaps off-topic, but doesn anyone know what a plain cue by Mike Capone
goes for nowadays?

--
Erik «Macint0sh» Jørgensen * Web: <URL:http://killervampire.comcolor=#0000FF> >
Hvorfor bør du quote riktig?

03 Feb 2004 21:11:45
WilleeCue
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

That would depend upon what you call a "deal".
If you are refering to cost verses number of inlays or cost verses time and
materials or cost verses quality, then I would say a WilleeCue is the best
"deal" today. However, you may have a hard time getting a new WilleeCue as
only a few are made each month and I dont like doing special orders. That
being said feel free to call and see what I have on hand and ready to sell.

William Lee
WilleeCue
http://home.earthlink.net/~willeecue
http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx

"Mark Maxey" <i_own_you@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

03 Feb 2004 14:29:44
9b4me
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

"Erik Jørgensen" <macint0sh_ud@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<Xns9484D3E06D35Emacint0sh@130.133.1.4>...
> * Mark Maxey (i_own_you@hotmail.com):
>
> > What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> > to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> Perhaps off-topic, but doesn anyone know what a plain cue by Mike Capone
> goes for nowadays?

Check this item number on ebay #3658144913. It's a really nice
looking highly figured birdseye maple Capone cue with two shafts. The
bid is only $420 and the seller says it's only a month old!!!

Jholly

04 Feb 2004 00:38:39
Watchez
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

A "Terbrock" is the one of the best deals in custom cues. Great work by a
master craftsman. Most of the good players in St. Louis are playing with a
Terbrock right now (since according to JAM, I have to justify everything I
post on here, her message board)
"Mark Maxey" <i_own_you@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

03 Feb 2004 20:42:00
ratchet
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

what would be the chances of getting a "Free Willee" cue ,???

Ratchet---- The whale in the movie died a few months ago ........

WilleeCue wrote:

> That would depend upon what you call a "deal".
> If you are refering to cost verses number of inlays or cost verses time and
> materials or cost verses quality, then I would say a WilleeCue is the best
> "deal" today. However, you may have a hard time getting a new WilleeCue as
> only a few are made each month and I dont like doing special orders. That
> being said feel free to call and see what I have on hand and ready to sell.
>
> William Lee
> WilleeCue
> http://home.earthlink.net/~willeecue
> http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx
>
> "Mark Maxey" <i_own_you@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> > to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
> >
> > I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

03 Feb 2004 23:41:08
pltrgyst
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:36:53 -0500, Mark Maxey <i_own_you@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
>to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
>I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

You might also consider the Dale Perry cues (DP Cues), some of which
are sold on eBay. Very nice workmanship, solid hit.

-- Larry

04 Feb 2004 07:22:22
Joe Van
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

>Mark Maxey i_own_you@hotmail.com writes:

Murray Tucker, Paul Fanelli, are some good names...
That will give you a nice start.. add 500 more and then
things get really interesting..

Joe

www.pooltablemagic.net / www.classiccues.com

04 Feb 2004 13:28:01
WilleeCue
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

About as good as getting a whale to jump over your head.

Good play on words .... try some like:
Do you play with a Willee?
You will play better pool if you play with your Willee.
And so on .....

William Lee
WilleeCue

"ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote in message
> what would be the chances of getting a "Free Willee" cue ,???
>
> Ratchet---- The whale in the movie died a few months ago ........
>

> WilleeCue wrote:
>
> > That would depend upon what you call a "deal".
> > If you are refering to cost verses number of inlays or cost verses time
and
> > materials or cost verses quality, then I would say a WilleeCue is the
best
> > "deal" today. However, you may have a hard time getting a new WilleeCue
as
> > only a few are made each month and I dont like doing special orders.
That
> > being said feel free to call and see what I have on hand and ready to
sell.

> > William Lee
> > WilleeCue
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~willeecue
> > http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx
> >
> > "Mark Maxey" <i_own_you@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm
looking
> > > to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
> > >
> > > I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

04 Feb 2004 08:39:45
John Barton
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Well, I deal with a lot of custom cuemakers and these are some of the ones
whose cues I have owned, played with and consider to be priced well below
what I think they are "worth".

Jerry Olivier www.jocues.com I have never had a Jerry Olivier that I haven't
liked right out of the box.
Sherm Adamason www.shermcues.com Sherm's cues are solid and the ones I had
for sale years ago were snapped up about as fast as my customers could hit
balls with them.
Mark Smith www.marksmithcues.com (Only 25 cues a year, never seen one over
$700)
William Lee - WilleeCue, easy to find in this NG and this thread.
Russ Espiritu - Most cues over $1000 but each cue has more than other
"elite" cuemakers at that price. www.omnicues.net
Joss - many of you consider Joss only as a production company and they are
that. I own a custom Joss that hits as good as any other cue I have.
www.josscues.com
Layani - I like my Layani, I consider it a "good" deal because I think the
price matches quite perfectly to the amount of cue received.
www.layanicues.com

And those are my picks right now of cues that I own from cuemakers whom I
consider to be great practictioners of their craft, build solid cues and
have prices that are lower than I would expect for the work they do.

John
www.cuecaserepair.com

"Mark Maxey" <i_own_you@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

04 Feb 2004 14:54:34
David Malone
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:39:45 -0600, "John Barton"
<instroke@instroke.com > wrote:

>Well, I deal with a lot of custom cuemakers and these are some of the ones
>whose cues I have owned, played with and consider to be priced well below
>what I think they are "worth".

Thanks for taking the time to list those, John. I'd never heard of
Mark Smith, for example, and I've added him to my bookmarks...

David "The Hamster" Malone

04 Feb 2004 10:10:36
Pat Hall
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Dave Jacoby is doing some realy nice work. www.jacobycue.com. His
prices seem pretty reasonable too.

PatH

Mark Maxey wrote:

> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

04 Feb 2004 08:13:42
SeanB
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Andy Gilbert...........definitely some of the very best playability
and workmanship out there for that kind of money.

04 Feb 2004 10:38:49
Gideon Forrest
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

"John Barton" <instroke@instroke.com > wrote in message news:<WpidnZWinsKpmbzdRVn-jQ@centurytel.net>...
> Well, I deal with a lot of custom cuemakers and these are some of the ones
> whose cues I have owned, played with and consider to be priced well below
> what I think they are "worth".
>
> Jerry Olivier www.jocues.com I have never had a Jerry Olivier that I haven't
> liked right out of the box.

I second this nomination. My primary playing cue is plain 4 floating
point Olivier (with a 314 shaft). I have lost track of the number of
offers I have received for this cue - people just love the "hit".

Gideon

04 Feb 2004 17:47:47
John Barton
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

I always forget somebody. Of course Jacoby belongs on my list as well.

John

"Pat Hall" <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com > wrote in message
> Dave Jacoby is doing some realy nice work. www.jacobycue.com. His
> prices seem pretty reasonable too.
>
> PatH
>
> Mark Maxey wrote:
>
> > What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> > to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
> >
> > I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

04 Feb 2004 20:37:31
Mark0
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Uh, ahem. Dan Trogdon seems to be left out here too.

That's www.trogdoncues.com in case you wondered.

Mark0 <--shillin' and chillin'

> I always forget somebody. Of course Jacoby belongs on my list as well.
>
> John
>

> "Pat Hall" <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com> wrote in message
> > Dave Jacoby is doing some realy nice work. www.jacobycue.com. His
> > prices seem pretty reasonable too.
> >
> > PatH
> >
> > Mark Maxey wrote:
> >
> > > What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm
looking
> > > to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
> > >
> > > I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

04 Feb 2004 19:10:51
Newsposts
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Mark Maxey <i_own_you@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<401ff815_1@news.iglou.com>...
> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.

Do you really have to have a new cue? If you are willing to go with a
used cue, there are often great bargains to be found.

Find yourself some young hotshot wanna-be shortstop with more balls
than brains, who has just laid out more than he can afford for a fancy
cue, and is now short on cash for any number of reasons and now wants
cash to gamble or make a car payment, or something else.

Once you have found an opportunity like this one (and believe me, they
come up all the time), you can often find yourself with an opportunity
to pick up a top grade cue for pennies on the dollar.

You can also make a deal with a room owner for a new cue as well.
There are many room owners who sometimes shell out a fair chunk of
change for a full custom or semi-production cue, and after several
months are finding that they can't move it. If you can find a
situation like this one, then you have an opportunity to bargain for a
price that could be well less than retail and possibly as good as
wholesale or even better. It's a win-win situation. You get the cue
for a good price and they move stock and generate cash flow. All you
have to do is keep your eye open and pick your spot.

05 Feb 2004 09:33:31
John Barton
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

He didn't get left out by me. I ahve never owned one. You have, so
inclusion is up to you :-))

John

"Mark0" <markmccauley@arterchay.etnay > wrote in message
> Uh, ahem. Dan Trogdon seems to be left out here too.
>
> That's www.trogdoncues.com in case you wondered.
>
> Mark0 <--shillin' and chillin'
>

> "John Barton" <instroke@instroke.com> wrote in message
> > I always forget somebody. Of course Jacoby belongs on my list as well.
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Pat Hall" <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com> wrote in message
> > > Dave Jacoby is doing some realy nice work. www.jacobycue.com. His
> > > prices seem pretty reasonable too.
> > >
> > > PatH

> looking

05 Feb 2004 14:27:03
Fred Agnir
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Pat Hall <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com > wrote in message news:<102265op0uo0698@corp.supernews.com>...
> Dave Jacoby is doing some realy nice work. www.jacobycue.com. His
> prices seem pretty reasonable too.

I think there's a write-up on the Jacobys in InsidePool Magazine.

Fred <~~~ shameless, I know.

05 Feb 2004 19:35:18
Mark0
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Well then, I'd say we're covered :O)

Mark0

> He didn't get left out by me. I ahve never owned one. You have, so
> inclusion is up to you :-))
>
> John
>

> "Mark0" <markmccauley@arterchay.etnay> wrote in message
> > Uh, ahem. Dan Trogdon seems to be left out here too.
> >
> > That's www.trogdoncues.com in case you wondered.
> >
> > Mark0 <--shillin' and chillin'
> >

> > "John Barton" <instroke@instroke.com> wrote in message
> > > I always forget somebody. Of course Jacoby belongs on my list as
well.

> > > John
> > >

> > > "Pat Hall" <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com> wrote in message

> > looking

06 Feb 2004 12:01:33
tubsey
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

Mark Maxey <i_own_you@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<401ff815_1@news.iglou.com>...
> What do you feel is the best deal right now in custom cues? I'm looking
> to recommend some cues in the ~$500 range.
>
> I'm looking at the lowend layani cues, les blevins and barber

I might recommend looking at a cue from Steve Kornele
(kornelepoolcues.com). I have a couple of WW cues (formerly a
cooperation of Steve Kornele and Greg Willingham) and love them.
Great workmanship and a great hit. I also own Southwest - which I
play at home and Cokers, which hit great too, but I play with the WW
most of the time. I'm of course basing this on the WW as I've not
played Steve's cues and am just assuming the hit is similar.

06 Feb 2004 15:25:31
Bob Johnson
Re: Best Deal in Custom Cues

I'm still very happy with the Joss I had made and just received in November
last year. Great cue and under your target price with 2 shafts.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bobj@cris.com