28 May 2005 06:10:29
Gary Peiffer
How good was Jackie Gleason?

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C56311.44CB1180

I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional level =
in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par =
excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented comedian, =
milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment years ago that =
featured an interview which "showcased" his talents. Plus all the =
anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and Willie Moscone. I'm =
just curious-- just how good was Gleason at pool? Any opinions?

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C56311.44CB1180

<HTML ><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1" >
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR >
<STYLE ></STYLE>
</HEAD >
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff >
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've read that the 'Great One" was very =
close to=20
the professional level in pocket  billiards, as well as obviously =
an=20
entertainer par excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly =
talented=20
comedian, milliionaire, etc.  There was an old '60 =
Minutes"=20
segment years ago that featured an interview which "showcased" his=20
talents.  Plus all the anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank =
Sinatra, and=20
Willie Moscone.  </FONT ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm just =
curious-- just how=20
good was Gleason at pool?  Any opinions?</FONT ></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C56311.44CB1180--

28 May 2005 04:58:50
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

Gary Peiffer wrote:
> I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional level in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented comedian, milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment years ago that featured an interview which "showcased" his talents. Plus all the anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and Willie Moscone. I'm just curious-- just how good was Gleason at pool? Any opinions?

Amateur class, a world away from professional level. A nice fellow and
all, but he had trouble runing one rack of straight pool, or one rack
of nine ball. Never saw him play one pocket, eight ball, or lineup.

Hal

28 May 2005 09:29:17
pltrgyst

On 28 May 2005 04:58:50 -0700, halhoule@comcast.net wrote:

>.... Never saw him play one pocket, eight ball, or lineup.

What is "lineup"? Another name for rotation?

-- Larry

28 May 2005 10:31:51
Gary Ives
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:29:17 -0400, pltrgyst <pltrgyst@covad.net >
wrote:

>On 28 May 2005 04:58:50 -0700, halhoule@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>.... Never saw him play one pocket, eight ball, or lineup.
>
>What is "lineup"? Another name for rotation?
>
>-- Larry

Played like Straight Pool, but after every inning the balls are
spotted on the foot spot, there is no re-rack.

Gary

28 May 2005 13:06:35
pltrgyst
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:31:51 -0400, Gary Ives
<horus46NOSPAM@charter.net > wrote:

>Played like Straight Pool, but after every inning the balls are
>spotted on the foot spot, there is no re-rack.

Thanks. I've never heard of or read about that one.

-- Larry

29 May 2005 15:21:02
Steve Ellis

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:06:35 -0400, pltrgyst <pltrgyst@covad.net > wrote:

>On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:31:51 -0400, Gary Ives
><horus46NOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Played like Straight Pool, but after every inning the balls are
>>spotted on the foot spot, there is no re-rack.
>
>Thanks. I've never heard of or read about that one.
>
>-- Larry

Actually if I'm not mistaken it is what the term "straight pool" really refers to as the
ball were lined up in a straight line from the foot spot.

29 May 2005 16:45:18
Dan White
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

------=_NextPart_000_00C0_01C5646D.CBA0E7E0

"Gary Peiffer" <garypeiffer@sbcglobal.net > wrote in message =
I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional =
level in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par =
excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented comedian, =
milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment years ago that =
featured an interview which "showcased" his talents. Plus all the =
anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and Willie Moscone. I'm =
just curious-- just how good was Gleason at pool? Any opinions?

I think Mosconi's autobiography says that Gleason was a pretty good =
player who could run 40 or 50 on occasion.

dwhite
------=_NextPart_000_00C0_01C5646D.CBA0E7E0

<HTML ><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1" >
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1498" name=3DGENERATOR >
<STYLE ></STYLE>
</HEAD >
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff >
<DIV >"Gary Peiffer" <<A=20
href=3D"mailto:garypeiffer@sbcglobal.net" >garypeiffer@sbcglobal.net</A>&g=
t; wrote=20
in message <A=20
href=3D"news:pXTle.21967$J12.3119@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com" >news:pXTle.=
21967$J12.3119@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com</A >...</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" >
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've read that the 'Great One" was =
very close to=20
the professional level in pocket  billiards, as well as obviously =
an=20
entertainer par excellance, a genius at =
Shakespeare, superbly=20
talented comedian, milliionaire, etc.  There was an =
old '60=20
Minutes" segment years ago that featured an interview which =
"showcased" his=20
talents.  Plus all the anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank =
Sinatra,=20
and Willie Moscone.  </FONT ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm just =
curious--=20
just how good was Gleason at pool?  Any opinions?</FONT ></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT size=3D2> I think Mosconi's autobiography says that =
Gleason was=20
a pretty good player who could run 40 or 50 on occasion.</FONT ></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT size=3D2>dwhite</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C0_01C5646D.CBA0E7E0--

30 May 2005 16:45:34
Alex Kanapilly

Dan White wrote:
> "Gary Peiffer" <garypeiffer@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:pXTle.21967$J12.3119@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional level in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented comedian, milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment years ago that featured an interview which "showcased" his talents. Plus all the anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and Willie Moscone. I'm just curious-- just how good was Gleason at pool? Any opinions?
>

> I think Mosconi's autobiography says that Gleason was a pretty good player who could run 40 or 50 on occasion.
>
> dwhite

I thought he said he rain in the 20's, but it's been a while so I could
be mistaken.

Alex

30 May 2005 20:16:06
Dan White

"Alex Kanapilly" <alexk@redrobin.com > wrote in message

> Dan White wrote:
> > "Gary Peiffer" <garypeiffer@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional
level in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par
excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented comedian,
milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment years ago that
featured an interview which "showcased" his talents. Plus all the anecdotes
about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and Willie Moscone. I'm just curious--
just how good was Gleason at pool? Any opinions?

> > I think Mosconi's autobiography says that Gleason was a pretty good
player who could run 40 or 50 on occasion.

> > dwhite
>
> I thought he said he rain in the 20's, but it's been a while so I could
> be mistaken.

Maybe in the 20's consistantly? I think the 40 ball thing was just a once
in a while thing.

dwhite

03 Jun 2005 20:58:37
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

I played him in West Palm in the 60's. He had a really nice stroke but
did not play pro speed. I had no problem with him. He shot a really
nice club stick. He has always been my hero, how sweet it is.

Fast Larry

04 Jun 2005 04:08:26
Gary Peiffer
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

There's a short paragraph on "Line-up straight pool" in Byrne's "New
Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" on page 221.

"pltrgyst" <pltrgyst@covad.net > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:31:51 -0400, Gary Ives
> <horus46NOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Played like Straight Pool, but after every inning the balls are
>>spotted on the foot spot, there is no re-rack.
>
> Thanks. I've never heard of or read about that one.
>
> -- Larry

10 Jun 2005 05:03:56
Gary Peiffer
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

Thanks for the info. I'm sure you're a hellatious pool player. I bear no
grudge against you. I tend not to have grudges with people I've never
met. Gleason's a hero for me too, "how sweet it is"; "One of these days,
Alice, ....POW! Right in the Kisser!"; "Good Night, Everybody!", etc. I f
you were to play Corey Deuel (who is awesome) or Efrem Reyes, how well would
you do? If you played Gleason in the 60's, you must be on the Senior
Master's Tour, like in Golf, except you play for peanuts, and those guys
were always rich.

<fastlarry@bellsouth.net > wrote in message
>I played him in West Palm in the 60's. He had a really nice stroke but
> did not play pro speed. I had no problem with him. He shot a really
> nice club stick. He has always been my hero, how sweet it is.
>
> Fast Larry

10 Jun 2005 07:54:27
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

Gary asked:you were to play Corey Deuel (who is awesome) or Efrem
Reyes, how well would
you do? If you played Gleason in the 60's, you must be on the Senior
Master's Tour, like in Golf, except you play for peanuts, and those
guys
were always rich

FL RESPONDS:
I just joined the upa and have a tour card. This is the main mens pro
tour and I am now listed on their web site in their rankings. I Played
in my first event in Jacksonville 2 weeks ago, did not do well, but it
will take time. I am ranked 75th, my goal at the end of the year is to
be in the high 20's, I am confident I can achieve this.

I also have joined the Florida 9 ball tour, SE tour and the seniors
tour. I want to get back playing serious pool again. I am out now
playing on the same tour with Deuel and Efren, when I draw them in a
match, we will then know how I did. Can I beat them, no way, they are
too good. I cant beat any one in the top 15 or 20, these guys are just
awesome. I am out there with one simple goal, to put in respectable
performances and challenge the best in the world.

I am entered to play next in the Orlando open and the us open. I have
defeated on the current upa list in the recent past, one player in the
top 10 and two in the top 20, 2 in the top 30, so I have a game to run
with them. I am very steaky, if I get on and get loose, I can beat any
one on earth in one set. Its long term play that gets me. I don't
have the mental endurance for that and am working on this.

Come chat with me live at www.poolchat.net which used to be called
www.billiards-pool.net THE POWER SOURCE POOL SCHOOL "Fast Larry"
Guninger offers clinics and video taped lessons. Web site
www.fastlarrypool.com POOL LESSONS FROM A GRAND MASTER LEVEL
INSTRUCTOR, BILLIARDS EXPERT AND FORMER ARTISTIC WORLD CHAMPION.
770-381-6609. Larry plays on the pro 9 ball tours and has tour cards
on the UPA, the men's main tour; the Florida 9 ball tour, SE pro 9
ball tour and the Senior Tour.
Fax 770-381-1916 POOL QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND FREE INSTRUCTION IS ON
www.poolchat.net In the ask the pros forum."Fast Larry" Guninger
and Wonder Dog, trick shot shows and entertainment.
Email fastlarry@bellsouth.net fast larry at bell south dot net.
DVD's.http://www.fastlarrypool.com/dvdseries_trickshots1_trailer.htm
May God bless and peace be with you. May there now be peace between
us. If you are a real pool player, then fast truly loves you. May
the wind be always on your back and all 9 balls fall.
VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. " Latin for "I came, I saw, I
conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did do it all and you can
believe it, or not. If you don't believe it, C'est La Vie. "
Shoot straight, innovate, never give up, just run out on the other guy
then there is no way for you to lose.
Either lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way. Do one of the
three please. Come celebrate the wonder of this beautiful game with me
and become a student of it.
Be my friend, walk my way, flow with what I teach you and you will soar
like the Eagle into levels of excellence you never dreamed possible.
"Winners make things happen. Losers let things happen." In the words
of Vince Lombardi, "When it comes to the future, there are three kinds
of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those
who wonder what happened."
Rack em sausage, Go play fast and loose. Ride em hard, put em up wet,
leave the ladies smiling. Live free, die well with your boots on owing
no man nothing. May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows
you're dead. In time, it's all dust in the wind anyway. Don't
take your self, or anything too serious, just be happy and healthy.
Laughter good whiskey and song is the best medicine. Be sure to take
the time, to smell the flowers along the way. Aristole said "
Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end
of human existence." Die happy and you lived a good life.

11 Jun 2005 21:30:29
Tony DeAngelo
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

Well, he was a lot better than Paul Newman. A good book is his
biography by James Bacon. I'd guess Gleason was pretty good, but of
course he exaggerates like crazy, so if you were to ask him how good he
was you'd have to take it with a grain of salt. After all, pool playing
was not his strong suit. No matter how well he played it would pale
compared to his talent at acting, music, and MC'ing. "Requiem For A
Heavyweight", "The Honeymooners", and "Gigot" are, IMO, Reyes level
accomplishments of artistic talent.

Gary Peiffer wrote:
> I've read that the 'Great One" was very close to the professional level
> in pocket billiards, as well as obviously an entertainer par
> excellance, a genius at Shakespeare, superbly talented
> comedian, milliionaire, etc. There was an old '60 Minutes" segment
> years ago that featured an interview which "showcased" his
> talents. Plus all the anecdotes about Toots Schor, Frank Sinatra, and
> Willie Moscone. I'm just curious-- just how good was Gleason at pool?
> Any opinions?

11 Jun 2005 18:51:47
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

He was a better dancer than pool player.

11 Jun 2005 21:30:22
Patrick Johnson

Tony DeAngelo wrote:
> Well, he was a lot better than Paul Newman.

I think that's obvious from watching them in their movies. You can
usually tell whether somebody plays regularly or only occasionally
without even seeing them actually shoot - from the way they hold their
sticks, chalk up, stand, make a bridge, stroke. Gleason is on one side
of that divide and Newman is on the other. Watching Gleason, you can
see that he might be a good player, but Newman doesn't look like he
could be much better than a duffer. Cruise looks like he's hardly ever
played.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

11 Jun 2005 19:49:23
Re: How good was Jackie Gleason?

Newman never held a cue, but Mosconi in 2 months had him looking
technically better than gleason, his angles, how he stood, his basics
were perfect. But he was stiff and it was obvious it was a coached
beginner. Gleason was the great one, grew up as a kid in brooklyn
playing in pool halls and when he was young played a strong stick. He
had a beautiful very strong stroke. When he became a serious movie
star, his play time ended, there fore his demise as a strong player
ended.
Cruize same thing, never had a cue in his hand and it was more obvious
than newman in 61. Still it was an ass kickin performance. Gleason
could give Newman or cruize the 6-7-8-9 and the snap and rob them,
Mosconi could do that to Gleason. I know, I played every one of them.
No sh**.

11 Jun 2005 20:41:25

Patrick Johnson wrote:
> Tony DeAngelo wrote:
> > Well, he was a lot better than Paul Newman.
>
> but Newman doesn't look like he could be much better than a duffer.

If you look at his stroke in slo-mo in the two movies, it is not very
good. In the CoM break shots, in slo-mo he almost completely fans the
#1 ball.

> Cruise looks like he's hardly ever played.

IIRC, Sigel trained him for CoM. I think the story went that he had
hardly played at all before then. But with his natural athletic ability
and ability to take direction from a coach, he improved quite rapidly
for a novice player.

Jackie Gleason was a much more stylish player at the table than both
combined. "Ace in the side."