21 May 2004 12:01:35
JAM
Playing Pool with Glasses

Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and computer.
I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read things
close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.

My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I can
see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.

Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to see
the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball just
fine when I aim, though.

I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his new
glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would be a
great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.

I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take them
off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be enlightened
by others who do wear them and play well.

JAM

21 May 2004 12:36:18
William Lee
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

Welcome to the mid life slide, JAM.
It gets worse from here on.

Here is a link to a website that offers large sport frames.

http://www.sportglasses.com/

William Lee

"JAM" <jamalloy@aol.comnojunk > wrote in message
> Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and
computer.
> I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read
things
> close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
>
> My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I
can
> see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
>
> Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
> glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to
see
> the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball
just
> fine when I aim, though.
>
> I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his
new
> glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would
be a
> great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.
>
> I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take
them
> off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
> player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be
enlightened
> by others who do wear them and play well.
>
> JAM

21 May 2004 12:54:28
Jim
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

Could get contacts for pool. I did.

Jim

"JAM" <jamalloy@aol.comnojunk > wrote in message
> Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and
computer.
> I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read
things
> close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
>
> My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I
can
> see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
>
> Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
> glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to
see
> the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball
just
> fine when I aim, though.
>
> I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his
new
> glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would
be a
> great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.
>
> I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take
them
> off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
> player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be
enlightened
> by others who do wear them and play well.
>
> JAM

21 May 2004 13:43:53
David Malone

On 21 May 2004 12:01:35 GMT, jamalloy@aol.comnojunk (JAM) wrote:

>Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
>glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to see
>the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball just
>fine when I aim, though.

I don't wear glasses to play pool but I have a pair of custom made
'cubicle' glasses that would work fine with a small modification. They
are seamless quad focals. Top center is focussed at 18" for the
computer. Bottom center is magnified for reading small print. The
sides are transparent (ie. just glass) so I can see people coming into
the cubicle without jumping out of my shorts. If I got a pair made for
pool, I'd focuss the top zone at around 4-5 feet and move the 18" to
the bottom zone.

Anyone tried anything similar?

David "The Hamster" Malone

21 May 2004 09:09:26
redspot
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

"JAM" <jamalloy@aol.comnojunk > wrote in message
> Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and
computer.
> I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read
things
> close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
>
> My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I
can
> see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
>
> Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
> glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to
see
> the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball
just
> fine when I aim, though.
>
> I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his
new
> glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would
be a
> great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.
>
> I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take
them
> off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
> player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be
enlightened
> by others who do wear them and play well.

It sounds to me like you got single-prescription lenses
for reading/computer use. When I passed 40, I got what
they call "progressive" lenses (as opposed to bifocals,
trifocals, etc.) where the lens goes from no prescription
at the top to a mild prescription starting about the middle
(for the computer) to a stronger prescription at the bottom
(for reading).

They work fine for pool, as you look at the distant balls
thru the top of the lens and the cue ball in the bottom half
when you are bent over addressing the cue ball.

Progressive lenses cost a lot more, but they are worth it.
They also look a lot better than bifocals (no line in the
middle) and the transition from top to bottom is easier.
And speaking of "transition", I also always get the
Transition lenses that darken automatically in the bright
light -- a lot less trouble than carrying some form of
sunglasses.

21 May 2004 10:32:58
Tom S.

JAM wrote:

> Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and computer.
> I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read things
> close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
>
> My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I can
> see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
>
> Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
> glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to see
> the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball just
> fine when I aim, though.
>
> I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his new
> glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would be a
> great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.
>
> I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take them
> off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
> player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be enlightened
> by others who do wear them and play well.
>
> JAM

you think you got problems ?? I am nearsighted and legally blind in one eye and
farsighted in the other and wear lined bi-focals to boot <g >

the poster formerly known as Ratchet

21 May 2004 11:26:42
Frank Glenn
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

In article <20040521080135.22258.00001729@mb-m01.aol.com >,
jamalloy@aol.comnojunk says...
:|:Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players?
:|:
Talk to Howard Vickery. HyWyde (spelling?) makes frames that are
adjustable in height. I cannot play with my glasses (Bifocal).
Good Luck
Frank

21 May 2004 15:43:15
rhncue
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

There is one or two companies that make glasses just for playing pool.
The lenses are very tall and rimless. They go an inch or so higher than your
eyebrows and the sweet spot is way up near the top so that when you are in
your normal shooting position you are looking thru the sweet spot. Your eyes
probably need correction for different distances. Most glasses are made for
correction for up close ( reading glasses ) or for distance or a combination
( bi-focal ). Glasses that are made for better distance vision are always a
compromise, meaning that they are only perfect for a particular distance
that can be anywhere from two feet to infinity. Shooting glasses are a
single purpose pair of glasses that usually aren't good for any other
purpose other than playing pool. The lenses are corrected so that you see
your best at around 4' which would be best for pool playing, when not
playing pool chances are you would need other glasses for everyday use.
The bad thing about these glasses are that they are heavier than other
glasses and since they are rimless they are much more fragile and prone to
breakage. Also they aren't cheap. I believe the company that makes them is
in Col. OH. There are a number of pro players who use them ( Grady Mathews,
Howard Vickery and Buckey Bell ) and I believe Buddy Hall was pushing them
for awhile.
Dick

--
Building and repairing of custom pool cues
for real pool players. Over 35 years exp.
"Tom S." <ratchet@littlegreenapple.com > wrote in message

> JAM wrote:
>
> > Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and
computer.
> > I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read
things
> > close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
> >
> > My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool,
I can
> > see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> > lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
> >
> > Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these
new
> > glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable
to see
> > the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the
cue-ball just
> > fine when I aim, though.
> >
> > I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got
his new
> > glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would
be a
> > great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass
store.

> > I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to
take them
> > off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any
pool
> > player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be
enlightened
> > by others who do wear them and play well.
> >
> > JAM
>
> you think you got problems ?? I am nearsighted and legally blind in one
eye and
> farsighted in the other and wear lined bi-focals to boot <g>
>
> the poster formerly known as Ratchet

21 May 2004 16:47:23
David Malone
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

On Fri, 21 May 2004 10:32:58 -0400, "Tom S."
<ratchet@littlegreenapple.com > wrote:

>you think you got problems ?? I am nearsighted and legally blind in one eye and
>farsighted in the other and wear lined bi-focals to boot <g>

Actually, to be quite honest, I don't approve of glasses when playing
pool. I prefer to drink right out of the bottle...

David "The Hamster" Malone

21 May 2004 13:49:16
Larry

malone@ca.ibm.com (David Malone) wrote:

>Actually, to be quite honest, I don't approve of glasses when playing
>pool. I prefer to drink right out of the bottle...

Hmmm... is that a 2), a 5), or both?

-- Larry

http://www.newsfeed.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

21 May 2004 19:46:37
Karel
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

JAM wrote
> I don't know how any pool
>player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be enlightened
>by others who do wear them and play well.
>
>JAM

Hi Jam,

I play with a pair of rimless spectacles where the uppre rim is
heightened. My optomotrist made them espescially with pool in mind
(he's a player himself). You might remember the one's Dennis Taylor
had made, like that. Frankly, they look ridiculous, are a tad heavy on
the nose and for that, they suck. Big time.

However, in the past year, since i started wearing them, i feel i have
improved remarkably. This may well be the 'new cue-factor' but amongst
other things, i feel that my improved sight has a lot to do with it.

Also, when you start wearing those, at first you will be laughed at by
your opponent, but when you clear the table in one swoop without so
much as breaking into a sweat, he will be awestruck, much more than
had you cleared the table without the glasses. All in all, i'd
recommend them.

Take care

Karel

21 May 2004 11:13:26
Steve.
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

JAM,
I swore off trying to communicate with you, but this topic seems
harmless enough (fingers crossed) and I can probably offer some
insight (unintentional pun). As you may or may not remember I wear
glasses and I shoot pool with them. I am near-sighted so my comments
are from a slightly different perspective (play on words, yuck-yuck),
but my advise to you would be to play without glasses. Your farsight
is good enough that you only need the glasses for reading and the
computer, you can probably see the close shots well enough, they are
still 3 or 4 feet away, a lot further than a computer. I have
prescriptions for reading, computer, and distance, plus I actually
read best without glasses; I just shoot with my distance prescription
and it works just fine. If I use my computer glasses the first 4 feet
or so are crystal clear, but like your situation the long shots are
somewhat blurry.
Furthermore, I don't think it is worth spending the money for
progressives even if you've got it (the money that is), they won't
help that much.
JMHO, from a guy who has been wearing glasses since his first license
exam at age 16 (was I ever that young?).
Good luck to Keith in Providence.
Steve. <== Ignore him if you must, but don't YELL at him.

jamalloy@aol.comnojunk (JAM) wrote in message news:<20040521080135.22258.00001729@mb-m01.aol.com >...
> Recently, I was informed that I need to wear glasses for reading and computer.
> I can see just fine far away. It seems now, though, I am unable to read things
> close up. I have always had 20/20 vision until now, 150 over 20.
>
> My question is this. If I were to wear these same glasses playing pool, I can
> see a close-up shot just fine, but being able to see clearly on those
> lot-of-green shots is difficult and blurry.
>
> Is there such a thing as glasses for pool players? When I wear these new
> glasses I am now required to wear for reading and computer, I am unable to see
> the pool balls clearly at the end of a pool table. I can see the cue-ball just
> fine when I aim, though.
>
> I just remember that line in "The Color of Money" after Fast Eddie got his new
> glasses and later said, "I'm back." I think that one little scene would be a
> great commercial for a place like Lenscrafters or another eyeglass store.
>
> I'm getting used to these new glasses, but it sucks when you have to take them
> off. Everything then looks blurry for a while. I don't know how any pool
> player could play with glasses effectively, but I am hoping to be enlightened
> by others who do wear them and play well.
>
> JAM

21 May 2004 14:25:29
Frank Glenn
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

In article <54be6c92.0405211013.18e84c48@posting.google.com >, rsb-
asp-google@s-c-ellis.com says...
:|:Furthermore, I don't think it is worth spending the money for
:|:progressives even if you've got it (the money that is), they won't
:|:help that much.
:|:
:|:

I tried these, two different times. Made me sick to my stomach both
times (years apart). I gave them up for ever. YMMV some people like
them.
Frank <- plays without glasses like Steve

21 May 2004 19:00:10
hemicudas
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

Hi Jen. Remember, Earl wore the Pool Glasses for a while. Check with him.
Take care girl,,,,,,$Bill
"Frank Glenn" <nobody@quick-clean.com > wrote in message
> In article <54be6c92.0405211013.18e84c48@posting.google.com>, rsb-
> asp-google@s-c-ellis.com says...
> :|:Furthermore, I don't think it is worth spending the money for
> :|:progressives even if you've got it (the money that is), they won't
> :|:help that much.
> :|:
> :|:
>
> I tried these, two different times. Made me sick to my stomach both
> times (years apart). I gave them up for ever. YMMV some people like
> them.
> Frank <- plays without glasses like Steve

21 May 2004 19:06:35
John W. Pierce
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

After a bunch of mucking around, I found that the best solution for me was
to get contact lenses for playing pool and other general use, and then use
drugstore 2-pair-for-$10 reading glasses over them for reading and computer
work.

-- jwp

21 May 2004 19:57:22
Wendy & John
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

Frank Glenn wrote:

I tried (progressive lenses) ..... Made me sick to my stomach ......

I tried some too, with unpleasant results.

Progressive lenses are ground for accurate progressive optical
correction from top to bottom as long as you are looking forward.
When the eyes are turned, correction is lost. With progressive
lens glasses you must learn to turn your head instead of turning
your eyes to see something to the side, and there is a feeling
of nausea in either case.

The most difficult thing about progressive lenses is learning is to
drive with them. As you drive, cars, objects, and buildings to
either side undergo continuous disturbing visual smearing distortion.
And if you turn your head to see your rear-view mirror, it seems
like nearby cars suddenly swoop toward you. It is like being
on an acid trip (from what I have read.)

My old mentor, Frank Lively (R.I.P.) refused to wear glasses and
he had cataracts in both eyes. I asked him how he could see
the balls to shoot so well, and he said, ''I just walk to the end of
the table and look closely at the object ball, then go back and
fire the cueball at the spot I remember the object ball was''

John E. Ardans Bothell Washington

21 May 2004 16:52:41
Larry

"Wendy & John" <ardanswj@kilobar.net > wrote:

>My old mentor, Frank Lively (R.I.P.) refused to wear glasses and
>he had cataracts in both eyes. I asked him how he could see
>the balls to shoot so well, and he said, ''I just walk to the end of
>the table and look closely at the object ball, then go back and
>fire the cueball at the spot I remember the object ball was''

Nice quote!

I'll put that one away with the old Big Daddy Lipscomb quote it
brought to mind: "I just grab everybody in a different colored jersey,
then throw them away one at a time until I've got the one with the
ball. Him I keep."

-- Larry

http://www.newsfeed.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

21 May 2004 14:21:47
ridewiththewind
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

I am nearsighted, with a slight astigmatism, and have had to wear
corrective lenses sine about the third grade.

I opted for contacts for awhile....the down side to contacts is if
the poolhall or bar you are playing at is either smoke-filled or it's
just dry inside, the contacts begin to dry out, and are more of a
hinderance than if you just took the darn things out. Ditched those
pretty quickly.

Back to my glasses now. However, I too am beginning to suffer the
'old eyes syndrome'. And will need to move to some sort of bi-focal
soon, I am sure. However, I have been very lucky in that so far, it
has not affected my play. I can actually see the balls and table
quite well. Now when I go to fill in the score sheet, that's a whole
different issue....gotta take the glasses off to see what the heck I'm
writing!!
My glasses have the UV protection, as well as an anti-glare coating
which seems to work quite well, as I have experienced no glare from
the lights over the tables whatsoever.

This probably doesn't help much...but I did try :-)

Lisa

21 May 2004 17:03:57
Stoney
Re: Playing Pool with Glasses

JAM

You have received some good information in this thread from several RSB'rs
but the key here is the dispensing optician. Whether you opt for bi-focal
or tri-focal correction or the "no-lines" variety it is the mid distance
adjustment placement that is critical.

If I recall the numbers correctly reading vision correction is made to focus
out to about 18" or so. Mid distance is from that point out to about 96"
and far distance is anything beyond that. What normally happens is that the
optician places the mid distance correction at the approximate center of the
lens in relation to the pupil. What a pool player needs is for the mid
distance focal area to be raised slightly so that when you are down on a
shot and looking at the OB you do not have to strain your neck to get the
proper perspective.

As far as frames go, choose whatever suits your fancy. I went through about
two or three 'big frame' glasses before my wife and dispensing optician
refused to allow me to have them. They were out of style and were not
particularly complimentary but I thought I need all the extra glass. I now
sport a more yuppie looking pair of glasses with rims and although I am
aware of the rims they in no way hinder my shooting ability. In fact, the
long and short of it is if you are 'seeing' the frames you are not focused
on the shot. Of course, the normal caveats of proper fit and prescription
placement apply.

As far as color enhancement goes, it works. Whether or not it is necessary
or would be helpfull in your particular case is trial and error type thing.
My driving glasses are color enhanced as my eyes no longer adjust to
alternating shade and sunshine (twisty-turny forest roads) like they used to
and the color enhncement helps with this. YMMV.

Regards,
Stoney