28 Sep 2005 19:26:35
The Masked Bishop
Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

I've been to many history of pool sites on the Internet, but can't find
an answer to this questions: why are pool balls colored as they are,
and why in that order? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks, Bishop

28 Sep 2005 21:01:04
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Its simple, solid and stripes, numbers on the side, but in Europe no
numbers, black is 7, pink is 6, etc. There are reasons for each game.
Colors are changed today for TV, red is now brown. www.fastlarrypool.com

28 Sep 2005 22:33:40
Aunty Dan
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

That's a really interesting question I'd also like an answer to. I'd hazard
a guess the root is in Snooker, where there is a pack of 15 identical red
balls that can be played in any order and score 1 point, but once these are
all made you have to make the remaining 6 balls in a specific order and each
ball scores 1 point more than the last, just like in Rotation. Unlike
American Pool balls Snooker balls have never had numbers on them (Probably
because the technology did not exist to do this when Snooker first
developed) and the colours used are not an exact match for the currently
accepted Pool standard, although the 1st ball is yellow and the last ball is
black.

If this hypothesis is correct, I'd postulate when the game moved across the
Atlantic somewhere along the line it got simplified and all the red balls
but one were removed leaving a pack of 8 colored balls, and then the game
was extended with the concept of an alternate matching set of striped
coloured balls. Tracing the evolution of the games played from Billiards to
Snooker to Pool, who played what versions first, where they played it, who
thought it up, why one game dies and another flourishes, would be really
fascinating to research.

It is also worth noting that many sports and games from Europe were adapted
and significantly changed in the USA (Cricket to Baseball, Rugby to American
Football) to the point where it seems (At least from the point of view of an
outsider from Europe) that Americans seem to actually go out of their way to
prove that they are different, that they are free to do whatever they want
in their leisure time and not to show any deference to the traditions of the
nations from whence they originated.

--
Aunty Dan
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer
"The Masked Bishop" <tmb@c4.com > wrote in message
> I've been to many history of pool sites on the Internet, but can't find
> an answer to this questions: why are pool balls colored as they are,
> and why in that order? Can anyone help with this?
>
> Thanks, Bishop

29 Sep 2005 05:49:38
SteveE

On Sep 28 2005 11:26 PM, The Masked Bishop wrote:

> I've been to many history of pool sites on the Internet, but can't find
> an answer to this questions: why are pool balls colored as they are,
> and why in that order? Can anyone help with this?
>
> Thanks, Bishop

Well the first three are the primary colors and the next 4 are secondary
colors, but why in that particular order within the sub groups I haven't
the foggiest. Bob Jewett must be able to answer that question that's right
up his trivia alley.
Steve.

Better to wear out than to rust out.

Patrick Johnson

The Masked Bishop wrote:

> ... why are pool balls colored as they are,
> and why in that order?

In the color spectrum are three "primary" colors (yellow, red and blue),
three "secondary" colors (mix of two primaries), then six "tertiary"
colors (mix of a primary and a secondary). The pool ball pattern is
primary colors for 1-3, secondary colors for 4-6 and a single tertiary
color for 7. Skipping the 8-ball, that same pattern is repeated for
balls 9-15. The cue ball and 8-ball are white (all colors) and black
(no color).

0 White All colors

1 Yellow Primary color
2 Blue Primary color
3 Red Primary color
4 Purple Secondary color (red/blue)
5 Orange Secondary color (red/yellow)
6 Green Secondary color (blue/yellow)
7 Maroon Tertiary color (red/purple)

8 Black No color

9-15 Repeat 1-7

Pat Johnson
Chicago

29 Sep 2005 07:37:46
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

The main game then was rotation, so the balls then, had to be numbered,
one thru 15. 8 or 9 ball would not be invented for another 50 years
and straight pool another 30.

29 Sep 2005 19:24:13
John W. Pierce
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

"Aunty Dan" <auntydan@xhotmail.com > wrote

> and significantly changed in the USA (Cricket to Baseball, ....

Actually, baseball comes mostly from rounders (in various forms). The early
US references are to "town ball", and a game named "base ball" was played by
1790. There is a 1791 ordinance of Pittsfield, MA that forbids playing "base
ball" within 80 yards of any building.

-- jwp

29 Sep 2005 19:29:07
David Malone
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:24:13 GMT, "John W. Pierce" <jwpretd@yahoo.com >
wrote:

>Actually, baseball comes mostly from rounders (in various forms).

Yeah... it's a girls game that originated in the UK.

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

29 Sep 2005 12:52:35
The Masked Bishop
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Yes, that color scheme is evident - primary, secondary, tertiary.

What is not obvious (or logical) is why the particular ORDER in each
category. Why yellow-blue-red instead of red-yellow-blue, which is more
traditional?

In the secondaries, the #4purple is the complimentary of #1yellow. In
other words, yellow does not go into this color (it's red+blue). Ditto
the next two: #5orange (red+yellow) is the complimentary of #2blue, and
#6green (yellow+blue) the complimentary of #3red.

I'm hard-pressed to believe that someone actually worked all this out
with a color wheel when painting wooden or ivory balls. But even if
they did, why pick yellow first? OR, why not just use rainbow order -
red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple for 1-6? Or go from "lighter"
to "darker" progressively?

If anyone has any luck finding actual printed research on this, please
let me know. I see a lot of histories that talk about the evolution of
the game in into pocket billiards with numbered sets, but I have yet to
find anything that mentions the coloring of the balls, and WHEN that
happened.

Thanks, Bishop

29 Sep 2005 17:54:20
Ed Chauvin IV
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Mere moments before death, The Masked Bishop hastily scrawled:
>Yes, that color scheme is evident - primary, secondary, tertiary.
>
>What is not obvious (or logical) is why the particular ORDER in each
>category. Why yellow-blue-red instead of red-yellow-blue, which is more
>traditional?
>
>In the secondaries, the #4purple is the complimentary of #1yellow. In
>other words, yellow does not go into this color (it's red+blue). Ditto
>the next two: #5orange (red+yellow) is the complimentary of #2blue, and
>#6green (yellow+blue) the complimentary of #3red.

Those relationships are contrasting colors, not complementary.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

29 Sep 2005 22:55:05
tdodge
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

I have an idea of how it happened.
Somewhere, somtime, someone just made a decision.
Didn't bother to explain it, wasn't required to explain it.
"These are the colors, because I said so. Make them"
We don't see as much of that today as we should.
Now, why the hell is home plate white?

"The Masked Bishop" <tmb@c4.com > wrote in message
> I've been to many history of pool sites on the Internet, but can't find
> an answer to this questions: why are pool balls colored as they are,
> and why in that order? Can anyone help with this?
>
> Thanks, Bishop

29 Sep 2005 19:32:12
Patrick Johnson
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Bishop:
>>In the secondaries, the #4purple is the complimentary of #1yellow. In
>>other words, yellow does not go into this color (it's red+blue). Ditto
>>the next two: #5orange (red+yellow) is the complimentary of #2blue, and
>>#6green (yellow+blue) the complimentary of #3red.

Ed:
> Those relationships are contrasting colors, not complementary.

Bishop is right; a primary color's complementary color is the secondary
color made from the other two primary colors. Complementary colors are
contrasting, but that's a quality shared by all colors on opposite sides
of the color wheel, not only primaries and their complementaries.
Primaries and complementaries just contrast the most (they seem to
vibrate when placed next to each other).

http://www.artsparx.com/color_complementary.asp

Pat Johnson
Chicago

29 Sep 2005 18:55:05
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

All you bozos waste all this fookin time trying to show how fookin
smart you are and our boy Tdodge just nutted it. Why is not home plate
pink. It should be red or orange. Why is not first base green. You
guys go off on these tangents and it amazes me why. Are you bored or
ran out of things to discucss. This bozo mentality I can never
understand. Me, like I give a she=yet where the colors came from and
why? You can take a thread like this and run up 100 posts.

30 Sep 2005 10:54:48
Ed Chauvin IV
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Mere moments before death, Patrick Johnson hastily scrawled:
>Bishop:
>>>In the secondaries, the #4purple is the complimentary of #1yellow. In
>>>other words, yellow does not go into this color (it's red+blue). Ditto
>>>the next two: #5orange (red+yellow) is the complimentary of #2blue, and
>>>#6green (yellow+blue) the complimentary of #3red.
>
>Ed:
>> Those relationships are contrasting colors, not complementary.
>
>Bishop is right; a primary color's complementary color is the secondary
>color made from the other two primary colors. Complementary colors are
>contrasting, but that's a quality shared by all colors on opposite sides
>of the color wheel, not only primaries and their complementaries.
>Primaries and complementaries just contrast the most (they seem to
>vibrate when placed next to each other).
>
>http://www.artsparx.com/color_complementary.asp

Huh. I guess it's true that you unlearn something new every day after
a certain age. :-P

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

30 Sep 2005 16:43:02
Patrick Johnson

Ed Chauvin IV wrote:

> Huh. I guess it's true that you unlearn something new every day after
> a certain age. :-P

I'm up to 2 or 3 a day, I forget which.

pj
chgo

01 Oct 2005 08:42:32
Re: Pool ball colors -- why those, and why that order?

Naw, that's not it, by the time you get like me where you have acquired
all of pool's possible knowledge, your brain fills up and you run out
of memory. This is why your belly begins to pooch out and the brain
begins to down load is stored memory there as it has ran out of room up
top. I keep seeing flashing signs saying, danger, out of memory. So
daily I have to go in and clean out my recycyle mental bin by saying,
erase all files of
Rachet, and any RSB people labled morons, nit com poops and ding dongs.
That usually removes a terbite and keeps me rolling for a few more
months. Would not life be simple to run around with a totally empty
head like rachet. This thread kills me, like who gives a hoot who came
up with colors or numbers. In 1880 they invented a game called
rotation, so they had to number the balls 1-15, so making the balls
different colors helped to find them faster than have to look for the
number which was not always visible. I mean, how tough is this on to
figure out.