07 Apr 2005 21:23:57
Jimbo
Pool table on ceramic tile?

I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid that a
ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My table is 4.5' x
9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not enough off of the ends to
adequately cover the floor. How do you all like playing a table when it is
sitting on a rug? What do you all suggest?
Thanks for any and all replies!
-jim

07 Apr 2005 23:12:17
Donald Tees
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

Jimbo wrote:
> I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid
> that a ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My
> table is 4.5' x 9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not
> enough off of the ends to adequately cover the floor. How do you all
> like playing a table when it is sitting on a rug? What do you all suggest?
> Thanks for any and all replies!
> -jim

I have hardwood, so I don't have to worry, but how often do you jump a
ball off the table? I like bare floors enough I'd be tempted to take the
risk. They're a lot easier to keep clean.

Donald

08 Apr 2005 04:52:12
G-Strong
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

Hi there,

My table is on ceramic tile (no rug) and it works just great. Balls off the
table have not cracked any tiles yet, or balls, thankfully, cause I have
bounced many of them off. Good Luck. Gary

"Jimbo" <hey_jimbo@bogus.sbcglobal.net > wrote in message
> I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid
> that a ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My
> table is 4.5' x 9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not enough
> off of the ends to adequately cover the floor. How do you all like playing
> a table when it is sitting on a rug? What do you all suggest?
> Thanks for any and all replies!
> -jim

08 Apr 2005 04:55:13
Jim
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

My table is sitting on tile. No broken tiles as of yet. Have bounced a few
on the floor. Granddaughter kinda likes to hear the sound of the ball
hitting the tile. Maybe just lucky so far, I don't know.

Now - on the other hand - if you have a wall cue holder, be careful to not
drop the cue or knock it off the holder. (Experienced that with a cue being
placed next to the bridge which was on the wall holder.) Not a pretty site
at all. Only put the house sticks on the wall - Never my Layani or
Southwest.

BTW sold my Southwest yesterday.

Jim
"Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca > wrote in message
> Jimbo wrote:
>> I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid
>> that a ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My
>> table is 4.5' x 9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not
>> enough off of the ends to adequately cover the floor. How do you all like
>> playing a table when it is sitting on a rug? What do you all suggest?
>> Thanks for any and all replies!
>> -jim
>>

> I have hardwood, so I don't have to worry, but how often do you jump a
> ball off the table? I like bare floors enough I'd be tempted to take the
> risk. They're a lot easier to keep clean.
>
> Donald

08 Apr 2005 01:11:49
Arnold, R. Hugh
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

why would you part with a SW?? need the cash?

--

R.H. "Hugh" Arnold

"Jim" <jwhite18816NOSPAM@earthlink.net > wrote in message
> My table is sitting on tile. No broken tiles as of yet. Have bounced a
> few on the floor. Granddaughter kinda likes to hear the sound of the ball
> hitting the tile. Maybe just lucky so far, I don't know.
>
> Now - on the other hand - if you have a wall cue holder, be careful to not
> drop the cue or knock it off the holder. (Experienced that with a cue
> being placed next to the bridge which was on the wall holder.) Not a
> pretty site at all. Only put the house sticks on the wall - Never my
> Layani or Southwest.
>
> BTW sold my Southwest yesterday.
>
> Jim
> "Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Jimbo wrote:
>>> I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid
>>> that a ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My
>>> table is 4.5' x 9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not
>>> enough off of the ends to adequately cover the floor. How do you all
>>> like playing a table when it is sitting on a rug? What do you all
>>> suggest?
>>> Thanks for any and all replies!
>>> -jim
>>>

>> I have hardwood, so I don't have to worry, but how often do you jump a
>> ball off the table? I like bare floors enough I'd be tempted to take the
>> risk. They're a lot easier to keep clean.
>>
>> Donald

08 Apr 2005 06:39:43
Jimbo
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

Thanks for the replies!

I like the look of a pool table not on a rug, and the easy cleaning of a hard
floor. I do have extra tiles, so if one should break, I can replace it. I just
don't want it to be a weekly occurrence. I think I will go without the rug and
just take my chances.

As for the wall mounted cue rack. I have relatively low ceilings and I am afraid
that if I go with a floor rack, then people will be raising the cue out of the
rack and hit the ceiling, whereas with a wall rack, they will pull the top of
the cue out instead of raising it. Maybe keeping the ceiling clean? It's all
about making a party room that requires the least amount of maintenance! Want to
party and not fix or clean!
Thanks again!
-jimbo

08 Apr 2005 07:32:19
Pat Hall
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

I played in a bar in Madison that put in new 1 ft. square ceramic tiles
on the floor. After about 6 months probably 15 to 20 of them were
cracked or broken. I can't say if this was from pool balls hitting them
or poor installation. I think the pool balls did have something to do
with it though. The other thing I noticed is that the balls took a real
beating and were roughed up pretty good.

PatH

Jimbo wrote:
> I've seen pool tables on wood floors and rugs, but not tile. I am afraid
> that a ball off of the table will crack a tile and/or damage a ball. My
> table is 4.5' x 9' and standard rugs are only 9' x 12'. This is not
> enough off of the ends to adequately cover the floor. How do you all
> like playing a table when it is sitting on a rug? What do you all suggest?
> Thanks for any and all replies!
> -jim

08 Apr 2005 12:27:52
Jim
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

Just don't put your expensive cues up there. Sound is terrible when they
break. I have similar setup as you it seems. I now lean the bridge against
the wall as soon as we start to play.

Jim (Hard lessons learned)

> Thanks for the replies!
>
> I like the look of a pool table not on a rug, and the easy cleaning of a
> hard floor. I do have extra tiles, so if one should break, I can replace
> it. I just don't want it to be a weekly occurrence. I think I will go
> without the rug and just take my chances.
>
> As for the wall mounted cue rack. I have relatively low ceilings and I am
> afraid that if I go with a floor rack, then people will be raising the cue
> out of the rack and hit the ceiling, whereas with a wall rack, they will
> pull the top of the cue out instead of raising it. Maybe keeping the
> ceiling clean? It's all about making a party room that requires the least
> amount of maintenance! Want to party and not fix or clean!
> Thanks again!
> -jimbo

08 Apr 2005 12:29:50
Jim
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

Nope not really. Not the best shooter around and my Layani shoots just fine
for me. Profit from SW helps pay for the Layani.

Jim (Drives a Sebring Convertible instead of a Bentley Convertible)

"Arnold, R. Hugh" <rha3@adelphia.net > wrote in message
> why would you part with a SW?? need the cash?
>
> --
>
> R.H. "Hugh" Arnold
>
> "Jim" <jwhite18816NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> My table is sitting on tile. No broken tiles as of yet. Have bounced a
>> few on the floor. Granddaughter kinda likes to hear the sound of the
>> ball hitting the tile. Maybe just lucky so far, I don't know.
>>
>> Now - on the other hand - if you have a wall cue holder, be careful to
>> not drop the cue or knock it off the holder. (Experienced that with a
>> cue being placed next to the bridge which was on the wall holder.) Not a
>> pretty site at all. Only put the house sticks on the wall - Never my
>> Layani or Southwest.
>>
>> BTW sold my Southwest yesterday.
>>
>> Jim
>> "Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I have hardwood, so I don't have to worry, but how often do you jump a
>>> ball off the table? I like bare floors enough I'd be tempted to take the
>>> risk. They're a lot easier to keep clean.
>>>
>>> Donald

08 Apr 2005 08:23:21

Jimbo wrote:
> Thanks for the replies!
>
> I like the look of a pool table not on a rug, and the easy cleaning
of a hard
> floor. I do have extra tiles, so if one should break, I can replace
it. I just
> don't want it to be a weekly occurrence. I think I will go without
the rug and
> just take my chances.
>
> As for the wall mounted cue rack. I have relatively low ceilings and
I am afraid
> that if I go with a floor rack, then people will be raising the cue
out of the
> rack and hit the ceiling, whereas with a wall rack, they will pull
the top of
> the cue out instead of raising it. Maybe keeping the ceiling clean?
It's all
> about making a party room that requires the least amount of
maintenance! Want to
> party and not fix or clean!
> Thanks again!
> -jimbo

I've seen a few home tables on tile floors. From what I understand, it
all depends on the quality of the sub floor and tile installation.
Tiles (ceramic or otherwise)are pretty durable if they are on a solid
base. If ther are any gaps under the tile, due to poor installation,
you're gonna have problems.

Eric

08 Apr 2005 15:23:23
David Malone
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:39:43 GMT, Jimbo
<hey_jimbo@bogus.sbcglobal.net > wrote:

>>I think I will go without the rug and
>just take my chances.

AFAIK you've been sporting that rugless look for quite a few years
now... I don't think I'd recognise you if you had hair...

>Want to party and not fix or clean!

Sigh... you single guys have it easy.

David "The Hamster" Malone

08 Apr 2005 20:22:41
rhncue
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

While being one of the best constructed cues that I've worked on over
the years I've found that a lot of people don't like the way a Southwest
plays. The ones I've shot with all had a very stiff hit. If you like a stiff
hitting cue chances are a Southwest is for you, if not, chances are you
won't like them.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.
"Arnold, R. Hugh" <rha3@adelphia.net > wrote in message
> why would you part with a SW?? need the cash?
>
> --
>
> R.H. "Hugh" Arnold
>
> "Jim" <jwhite18816NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> My table is sitting on tile. No broken tiles as of yet. Have bounced a
>> few on the floor. Granddaughter kinda likes to hear the sound of the
>> ball hitting the tile. Maybe just lucky so far, I don't know.
>>
>> Now - on the other hand - if you have a wall cue holder, be careful to
>> not drop the cue or knock it off the holder. (Experienced that with a
>> cue being placed next to the bridge which was on the wall holder.) Not a
>> pretty site at all. Only put the house sticks on the wall - Never my
>> Layani or Southwest.
>>
>> BTW sold my Southwest yesterday.
>>
>> Jim
>> "Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I have hardwood, so I don't have to worry, but how often do you jump a
>>> ball off the table? I like bare floors enough I'd be tempted to take the
>>> risk. They're a lot easier to keep clean.
>>>
>>> Donald

08 Apr 2005 21:06:54
Sorackem

> Nope not really. Not the best shooter around and my Layani shoots
> just fine for me. Profit from SW helps pay for the Layani.
>
> Jim (Drives a Sebring Convertible instead of a Bentley Convertible)

So, you're saying it's not a CAD u lack?
http://www.bobcad.com/index_case.php- scroll down.

-B

09 Apr 2005 10:40:23
pltrgyst
Re: Pool table on ceramic tile?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:06:54 -0500, Sorackem <flint_stoned@nodcomcast.net >
wrote:

>> Jim (Drives a Sebring Convertible instead of a Bentley Convertible)
>
>So, you're saying it's not a CAD u lack?

Groannn... For Chrysler's sake, why do people keep telling him to get Bent-ley?

>http://www.bobcad.com/index_case.php- scroll down.

Great site -- from MacLellan bagpipes to R/C warships. Who knew!

-- Larry