01 Dec 2003 17:31:24
Lindsay
John Benauds reasons for dropping Dean Jones

<posted in response to a question in another thread >

This is paraphrased.

Jones was dumped for the 1992/93 test series between Australia and the West
indies.

The main reasons given were:

*Jones had a very poor record v the WI . This poor record was partly
obscured by his tendency to make big hundreds in dead test matches at the
end of a series. His lone fifty and lone hundred v the WI were both dead
rubber affairs.

*While he did make runs in Sri Lanka prior to the series, he was dropped
quite often and didn't look that good. His form had been in decline for 2
years and he could easily have been dropped 12 months earlier before making
another last test century v India.

*In the lead up to the start of the Australia- WI series , Victoria(jones
home state) had just 2 shield games so Dean got very little match practice.
To make matters worse, he played badly in those games, where the conditions
were not great for batting.

*Steve and Mark Waugh both made hundreds against the WI that summer, Steve
for an Australian XI side and Mark for NSW. Steve made 95 and 100 and Mark
200 not out.

*Damien Martyn had played a few excellent innings at 1st class level that
showed considerable class. He seemed a player of the future and one who
might not be intimidated by the WI.

I actually accept all these arguments and did so at the time. I believed
Dean Jones would have been cleaned out by Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop as
usual. Even when Martyn got injured later in the summer, Justin Langer was
called in rather than Jones(admittedly Jones had a horrible summer in
Shield). Langer actually played one of the better innings I have seen in his
debut test but it was a very long time before he started to reproduce that
form.

BUT Benaud provides no explanation for Jones dismissal from the one day team
nor has a satisfactory explanation ever been offered. Jones was still one of
the best one day players in the country 4 years later.

Having said I agree with the decision, I don't think it's a cut and dried
issue, it would not have been hard for the selectors to go the other way.
The other 3 selectors were Laurie Sawle(chairman), Jim Higgs and Bob
Simpson.

Lindsay

01 Dec 2003 16:23:47
John
Re: John Benauds reasons for dropping Dean Jones

Didn't Jones announce his retirement from ODO cricket, rather than being
dropped? Or did he announce his retirement after he was dropped?

I can't quite remember, but Deano was never one of my fave players anyway.

01 Dec 2003 08:33:50
Colin Kynoch

John wrote:

> Didn't Jones announce his retirement from ODO cricket, rather than being
> dropped? Or did he announce his retirement after he was dropped?
>
> I can't quite remember, but Deano was never one of my fave players anyway.

Too boring?

;-)

Colin Kynoch

01 Dec 2003 22:13:16

Colin Kynoch wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>> Didn't Jones announce his retirement from ODO cricket, rather than
>> being dropped? Or did he announce his retirement after he was dropped?
>>
>> I can't quite remember, but Deano was never one of my fave players
>> anyway.
>

> Too boring?
>
> ;-)
>
> Colin Kynoch

Dunno what it was about him. Maybe it was because he always got a lot of
runs batting for Victoria against WA...

01 Dec 2003 22:46:50
Gerrit 't Hart

"Lindsay" <lindsaywent@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> <posted in response to a question in another thread>

SNIP
> The other 3 selectors were Laurie Sawle(chairman), Jim Higgs and Bob
> Simpson.
>
> Lindsay

Conspiracy theory:
Benaud - NSW
Sawle - WA
Higgs - Don't know, but irrelevant
Simpson - NSW

Deano - Vic!!

Gerrit

01 Dec 2003 23:11:50
John
Re: John Benauds reasons for dropping Dean Jones

Higgs - Vic!

05 Dec 2003 15:53:53
Stephen Hobbs TPG
Re: John Benauds reasons for dropping Dean Jones

I have Bob Simpsons autobiography here, and he justifies that Dean Jones
deserved to be dropped as he was 'finding ways to get out'. Example was when
he was ran out in 1991 in the West indies after he walked after being caught
off a no-ball. Simpson went on to say that although he was making runs, this
showed his time was up.

"John" <rangas@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Higgs - Vic!

06 Dec 2003 00:23:53
Mad Hamish
Re: John Benauds reasons for dropping Dean Jones

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:53:53 +1100, "Stephen Hobbs TPG"
<smhobbs@tpg.com.au > wrote:

>I have Bob Simpsons autobiography here, and he justifies that Dean Jones
>deserved to be dropped as he was 'finding ways to get out'. Example was when
>he was ran out in 1991 in the West indies after he walked after being caught
>off a no-ball. Simpson went on to say that although he was making runs, this
>showed his time was up.

Lucky for Mark Waught that Simmo wasn't a selector through his career
then.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
h_laws@aardvark.net.au

06 Dec 2003 00:37:58
rob moody

"Mad Hamish" <h_laws@aardvark.net.au > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:53:53 +1100, "Stephen Hobbs TPG"
> <smhobbs@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> >I have Bob Simpsons autobiography here, and he justifies that Dean Jones
> >deserved to be dropped as he was 'finding ways to get out'. Example was
when
> >he was ran out in 1991 in the West indies after he walked after being
caught
> >off a no-ball. Simpson went on to say that although he was making runs,
this
> >showed his time was up.

hang on , isnt that the time he was bowled off a no ball and walked off cos
the crowd was so loud he didnt hear the umpire call no ball. West indes ran
him out, which was the wrong decision, Simmo himself went to the umpires
demading an explanation.