08 Sep 2003 22:41:16
12* Driver vs. 10.5*

What difference will the 12* make compared with a 10.5*. As to distance,
roll. slice tendency. and ability to hit straight?

thanks, ken

09 Sep 2003 12:54:42
woodsie
Re: 12* Driver vs. 10.5*

most likely only higher trajectory with not much dif in other areas.

In article <S4b7b.353$wu1.285@bignews4.bellsouth.net >,
<schw9883@bellsouth.net > wrote:

>What difference will the 12* make compared with a 10.5*. As to distance,
>roll. slice tendency. and ability to hit straight?
>
>thanks, ken

09 Sep 2003 22:53:11
Douglas Siebert
Re: 12* Driver vs. 10.5*

"jeffc" <f@chance.com > writes:

><schw9883@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> What difference will the 12* make compared with a 10.5*. As to distance,
>> roll. slice tendency. and ability to hit straight?

>Straighter, less slice, less roll. Overall distance - depends on how hard
>you hit the ball and on what trajectory.

Modern balls are designed to be hit with a higher launch angle, even pros
are switching to 10 degree or higher drivers. You probably need to carry
your driver 250+ with a 10.5 degree driver before you reach the point
where you wouldn't carry further with a 12 degree.

Whether it ends up going further depends on whether you get a lot of roll
on your course or not, but most people would be better off with more carry
and less roll even if it costs 5 yards in total distance, because most of
us are rolling into trouble (or further into trouble) more often than were
rolling further down the middle of the fairway!

--
Douglas Siebert dsiebert@excisethis.khamsin.net

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.
But I repeat myself." -- Mark Twain

14 Sep 2003 01:35:38
jmkanes
Re: 12* Driver vs. 10.5*

In article <bjllkn$4h4$2@sword.avalon.net >,
dsiebert@excisethis.khamsin.net says...
> "jeffc" <f@chance.com> writes:
>

> ><schw9883@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> What difference will the 12* make compared with a 10.5*. As to distance,
> >> roll. slice tendency. and ability to hit straight?
>
> >Straighter, less slice, less roll. Overall distance - depends on how hard
> >you hit the ball and on what trajectory.
>

> Modern balls are designed to be hit with a higher launch angle, even pros
> are switching to 10 degree or higher drivers. You probably need to carry
> your driver 250+ with a 10.5 degree driver before you reach the point
> where you wouldn't carry further with a 12 degree.
>
> Whether it ends up going further depends on whether you get a lot of roll
> on your course or not, but most people would be better off with more carry
> and less roll even if it costs 5 yards in total distance, because most of
> us are rolling into trouble (or further into trouble) more often than were
> rolling further down the middle of the fairway!

I agree. I just bought a Taylor Made 200 with 10.5 loft and a regular
shaft. My existing driver was 975D with 8.5 loft and EI70 stiff.

Tests with the new one at the driving range indicate that I will get
about the same total yardage but with more carry. No change in accuracy
with the regular shaft, just higher. It feels easier to swing somehow
though, maybe the shorter length? (43 vs 45). I like the club.

I was hitting drives with the 975D that were landing quite hot, and yes
rolling into trouble. I'm getting a bit dodgy hitting greens from 150
yds when I'm on the fairway. It's quite unlikely that I will hit the
green from the rough from that range, absent some kind of luck.

I think this new one will be better for me. I liked it so much I bid on
and won a TM 200 3 wood today. I gotta stay off that EBay.

jmkanes