11 Sep 2004 20:48:13
Bill
A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

Last week Canadian golf legend Moe Norman passed away. Murray (Moe) Norman was a
golf version of the savant played by Dustin Hoffman in the movie Rain Man.
Moe had an unusual style, a natural swing that was so accurate that it was once
said by another pro that he was the only golfer to wear a dent on a golf club
because he hit the same place every time.

Moe was a weird guy. He lived in low rent hotels for most of his 75 years,
sometimes sleeping in his car. He was on the PGA tour for about 1 1/2 years but
because of his "anti-social" ways was reprimanded so often that he quit them, they
didn't quit him.

One of the quotes about Moe Norman was that "He never had a drink, he never had a
smoke and he never had a date (girlfriend)."

He set over 44 course records and won a load of tournaments but was never rich.

In 1990, the President of Titleist gave Moe Norman a "reverse scholarship". Moe
was paid $5,000 Canadian a month for the rest of his life and didn't have to do
anything for the company, he just had to be Moe.

The President of Titleist, Wally Uihlein, said that people often get scholarships
when they're young but Moe deserved it because of his contribution to the game.

Here's a link to more about Moe Norman (it's a good read).

http://www.tsn.ca/classic/news_story.asp?ID=97534&hubName=espn_classic

12 Sep 2004 00:51:45
Matt
Re: A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

I am loyal to Titleist cause they make the best shit!!!!! cept wedges. I
have the 10.5 inch staff bag and everything!!! w00t!

"Bill" <bill393@fetivus.com > wrote in message
> Last week Canadian golf legend Moe Norman passed away. Murray (Moe)
> Norman was a
> golf version of the savant played by Dustin Hoffman in the movie Rain Man.
> Moe had an unusual style, a natural swing that was so accurate that it was
> once
> said by another pro that he was the only golfer to wear a dent on a golf
> club
> because he hit the same place every time.
>
> Moe was a weird guy. He lived in low rent hotels for most of his 75
> years,
> sometimes sleeping in his car. He was on the PGA tour for about 1 1/2
> years but
> because of his "anti-social" ways was reprimanded so often that he quit
> them, they
> didn't quit him.
>
> One of the quotes about Moe Norman was that "He never had a drink, he
> never had a
> smoke and he never had a date (girlfriend)."
>
> He set over 44 course records and won a load of tournaments but was never
> rich.
>
> In 1990, the President of Titleist gave Moe Norman a "reverse
> scholarship". Moe
> was paid $5,000 Canadian a month for the rest of his life and didn't have
> to do
> anything for the company, he just had to be Moe.
>
> The President of Titleist, Wally Uihlein, said that people often get
> scholarships
> when they're young but Moe deserved it because of his contribution to the
> game.
>
> Here's a link to more about Moe Norman (it's a good read).
>
> http://www.tsn.ca/classic/news_story.asp?ID=97534&hubName=espn_classic

11 Sep 2004 20:57:04
Bill
Re: A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

I stand corrected, Norman set 33 course records, shot 59 three times and registered
17 holes in one.

One of my favourite Moe stories was about a time when he played a pro toruney in
Quebec. He was winning it but 4 putted the green on the final hole, barely
bothering to line up his putt and mumbling to himself.

He lost by 2 strokes.

He was being kidded by the press at a torney the next week (something about 4
putting) when he was teeing off for a par 3. He told the press people that he
wasn't going to putt this time. Hit the ball in his unusual way and sank it for
one of his 17 holes in one. :)

11 Sep 2004 20:58:15
Bill

"Matt" <matvell@frontiernet.net > wrote in message
> I am loyal to Titleist cause they make the best shit!!!!! cept wedges. I
> have the 10.5 inch staff bag and everything!!! w00t!

There is no evidence that Moe Norman used Titleist clubs.

12 Sep 2004 07:22:10
Matt
Re: A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

thats ok. I do :)

> "Matt" <matvell@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> I am loyal to Titleist cause they make the best shit!!!!! cept wedges.
>> have the 10.5 inch staff bag and everything!!! w00t!
>

> There is no evidence that Moe Norman used Titleist clubs.

12 Sep 2004 10:17:48
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

Didn't smoke, drink, or ever have a girlfriend? Gee, no wonder he's a
hero to so many golfers.

01 Oct 2004 19:03:06
www.golfclubbuzz.com
Re: A neat reason to be loyal to Titleist

Ok, when they gve me that deal I will be as loyal as a boy scout.