08 Apr 2007 02:01:03
R&B
"Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

I had always heard *about* this version, but I'd never actually heard it.
Until now. Some of my pals who are in radio in Augusta informed me a few
years back that this recording was (and may still be, for all I know)
available for sale at record stores in the Augusta area. But I've never
encountered anyone who actually owns a copy.

Obviously, Dave Loggins provided to Augusta National a version without the
vocal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEC26-qrXY

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PTMF8oA84&mode=related&search=

(They're both essentially the same thing, although the second one has
slightly cleaner audio. Judging from the Asian characters on the
superimposed sponsorship titles appearing at the end, I'm guessing these
were captured from some Asian telecast of The Masters.)

Randy

08 Apr 2007 03:04:44
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

Golfer/Singer Don Cherry also recorded a version with Willie Nelson.

Roverii

08 Apr 2007 02:02:05
richorich
Tiger lurks going into Masters final round

On Apr 8, 11:01 am, ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusin...@all.com > wrote:
> I had always heard *about* this version, but I'd never actually heard it.
> Until now. Some of my pals who are in radio in Augusta informed me a few
> years back that this recording was (and may still be, for all I know)
> available for sale at record stores in the Augusta area. But I've never
> encountered anyone who actually owns a copy.
>
> Obviously, Dave Loggins provided to Augusta National a version without the
> vocal.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEC26-qrXY
>
> or
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PTMF8oA84&mode=related&search=
>
> (They're both essentially the same thing, although the second one has
> slightly cleaner audio. Judging from the Asian characters on the
> superimposed sponsorship titles appearing at the end, I'm guessing these
> were captured from some Asian telecast of TheMasters.)
>
> Randy

http://themasters2008.blogspot.com/

08 Apr 2007 11:04:41
Da Ringer
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

Squeaky's Tip-Top in Augusta has a copy of the single on the jukebox (Dave
Loggins original vocals). It has always been the most played song on the
jukebox during Master's week.

Squeaky's closed down because of tax problems in 2005, but the jukebox is
still there.

DaRinger

""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote in message
>I had always heard *about* this version, but I'd never actually heard it.
>Until now. Some of my pals who are in radio in Augusta informed me a few
>years back that this recording was (and may still be, for all I know)
>available for sale at record stores in the Augusta area. But I've never
>encountered anyone who actually owns a copy.
>
> Obviously, Dave Loggins provided to Augusta National a version without the
> vocal.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEC26-qrXY
>
> or
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PTMF8oA84&mode=related&search=
>
> (They're both essentially the same thing, although the second one has
> slightly cleaner audio. Judging from the Asian characters on the
> superimposed sponsorship titles appearing at the end, I'm guessing these
> were captured from some Asian telecast of The Masters.)
>
> Randy

08 Apr 2007 16:26:05
Chris Bellomy

Da Ringer <DaRinger@home.net > wrote:
: Squeaky's Tip-Top in Augusta has a copy of the single on the jukebox (Dave
: Loggins original vocals). It has always been the most played song on the
: jukebox during Master's week.

Every time I hear that music, I expect the video to be of old men
on walkers trying to play golf as the hand of God reaches down and
gently carries them to heaven. Instead, I get Tiger yelling, "GODDAMMIT
TIGER!" That always wakes me up. I think it's a public service. ;)

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

08 Apr 2007 19:42:55
R&B

"Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote in message
> Da Ringer <DaRinger@home.net> wrote:
> : Squeaky's Tip-Top in Augusta has a copy of the single on the jukebox
> (Dave
> : Loggins original vocals). It has always been the most played song on the
> : jukebox during Master's week.
>
> Every time I hear that music, I expect the video to be of old men
> on walkers trying to play golf as the hand of God reaches down and
> gently carries them to heaven. Instead, I get Tiger yelling, "GODDAMMIT
> TIGER!" That always wakes me up. I think it's a public service. ;)

Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that it's
the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
(except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner -- the
Olympics, that is).

Also, while Dave Loggins may not be your cup of tea (and I can completely
understand that), in addition to his one hit record in the 1970s, "Please
Come to Boston," he has also scored several major motion pictures. As a
composer, he's no slouch.

I had been looking for this recording for years, and had searched high and
low. I just happened to stumble upon those two You Tube clips that had the
vocal version. Then, later, I discovered that several copies of the actual
45 RPM single are selling (right now!) on e-Bay. I'd looked there many
times in the past without any luck. I guess this is the time of year when
they tend to surface. I just bought two copies to add to my record
collection. One side has the vocal version, while the flip side has the
instrumental version you hear on CBS.

So expect me to be in a coma for the next few weeks. Or at least after I
locate a turntable to use to digitize them.

Randy

09 Apr 2007 00:10:14
Chris Bellomy
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote:
> "Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
>> Da Ringer <DaRinger@home.net> wrote:
>> : Squeaky's Tip-Top in Augusta has a copy of the single on the jukebox
>> (Dave
>> : Loggins original vocals). It has always been the most played song on the
>> : jukebox during Master's week.
>>
>> Every time I hear that music, I expect the video to be of old men
>> on walkers trying to play golf as the hand of God reaches down and
>> gently carries them to heaven. Instead, I get Tiger yelling, "GODDAMMIT
>> TIGER!" That always wakes me up. I think it's a public service. ;)
>
> Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that it's
> the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
> (except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner -- the
> Olympics, that is).

You beat me to it, the Olympic fanfare was the first thing I thought
of. I wonder if the World Cup has a standard theme used elsewhere in
the world.

> Also, while Dave Loggins may not be your cup of tea (and I can completely
> understand that), in addition to his one hit record in the 1970s, "Please
> Come to Boston," he has also scored several major motion pictures. As a
> composer, he's no slouch.

Well, even if he were a slouch, what they did here was strip the
vocal from the instrumental tracks, so we're hearing the backing
tracks out of context. I don't think they're bad but I've never
thought they fit the Masters very well. I'd expect something a
bit more like Mr. Jones himself, something more classical.

> So expect me to be in a coma for the next few weeks. Or at least after I
> locate a turntable to use to digitize them.

I read an interview with him where he said he recently authorized
his label to release the track digitally, presumably at the iTunes
store. Then you can really put it to good use in a pseudo-aircheck. :)

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

08 Apr 2007 20:39:36
R&B

> ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com> wrote:
>> "Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Da Ringer <DaRinger@home.net> wrote:
>>> : Squeaky's Tip-Top in Augusta has a copy of the single on the jukebox
>>> (Dave
>>> : Loggins original vocals). It has always been the most played song on
>>> the
>>> : jukebox during Master's week.
>>>
>>> Every time I hear that music, I expect the video to be of old men
>>> on walkers trying to play golf as the hand of God reaches down and
>>> gently carries them to heaven. Instead, I get Tiger yelling, "GODDAMMIT
>>> TIGER!" That always wakes me up. I think it's a public service. ;)
>>
>> Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that it's
>> the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
>> (except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner --
>> the
>> Olympics, that is).
>
> You beat me to it, the Olympic fanfare was the first thing I thought
> of. I wonder if the World Cup has a standard theme used elsewhere in
> the world.
>
>> Also, while Dave Loggins may not be your cup of tea (and I can completely
>> understand that), in addition to his one hit record in the 1970s, "Please
>> Come to Boston," he has also scored several major motion pictures. As a
>> composer, he's no slouch.
>
> Well, even if he were a slouch, what they did here was strip the
> vocal from the instrumental tracks, so we're hearing the backing
> tracks out of context. I don't think they're bad but I've never
> thought they fit the Masters very well. I'd expect something a
> bit more like Mr. Jones himself, something more classical.
>
>> So expect me to be in a coma for the next few weeks. Or at least after I
>> locate a turntable to use to digitize them.
>
> I read an interview with him where he said he recently authorized
> his label to release the track digitally, presumably at the iTunes
> store. Then you can really put it to good use in a pseudo-aircheck. :)

Yes, there was a blurb about this in one of the current golf publications
(Golf Digest, I believe). Whether they actually release it...and
when...remains to be seen. It also remains to be seen if they only release
the vocal version, or if they release both the vocal and instrumental
versions.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if the song becomes commercially available
(especially the instrumental version), you might just get your wish and see
The Masters move to something else that is not so readily available. They
have, after all, been using it since around 1981.

But I disagree with you. I *totally* think it's just the right sound for
The Masters.

Randy

09 Apr 2007 01:02:38
Howard Brazee
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 00:10:14 -0000, Chris Bellomy
<puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote:

>> Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that it's
>> the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
>> (except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner -- the
>> Olympics, that is).
>
>You beat me to it, the Olympic fanfare was the first thing I thought
>of. I wonder if the World Cup has a standard theme used elsewhere in
>the world.

In the U.S., the NFL music is probably better known than The Masters -
I have no way of judging what theme music beats it around the world

09 Apr 2007 01:06:07
Bobby Knight
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 01:02:38 GMT, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net >
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 00:10:14 -0000, Chris Bellomy
><puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that it's
>>> the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
>>> (except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner -- the
>>> Olympics, that is).
>>
>>You beat me to it, the Olympic fanfare was the first thing I thought
>>of. I wonder if the World Cup has a standard theme used elsewhere in
>>the world.
>
>In the U.S., the NFL music is probably better known than The Masters -
>I have no way of judging what theme music beats it around the world
Non-sports, Gilligan's Island
___,

/
.
“Someone likes every shot”
bk

09 Apr 2007 01:07:26
Chris Bellomy
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote:

> But I disagree with you. I *totally* think it's just the right sound for
> The Masters.

Well, you're WRONG!!! ;)

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

08 Apr 2007 21:08:30
R&B

"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 00:10:14 -0000, Chris Bellomy
> <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Say what you will about the song, there's no mistaking the fact that
>>> it's
>>> the most recognizable theme music for any sporting event in the world
>>> (except possibly the Olympics theme, which to me, is a total yawner --
>>> the
>>> Olympics, that is).
>>
>>You beat me to it, the Olympic fanfare was the first thing I thought
>>of. I wonder if the World Cup has a standard theme used elsewhere in
>>the world.
>
> In the U.S., the NFL music is probably better known than The Masters -
> I have no way of judging what theme music beats it around the world

Yeah, now that you mention it, I would have to agree that both the Fox NFL
Sunday theme and the Monday Night Football music (as well as that gawd-awful
Hank Williams "Are You Ready For Some Football" song) are probably more
widely known.

But either way, "Augusta" is in the top five or so.

Can anybody hum the tune NBC uses to open their golf telecasts?

I didn't think so.

Randy

09 Apr 2007 19:30:14
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:08:30 -0400, ""R&B""
<noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote:

>Yeah, now that you mention it, I would have to agree that both the Fox NFL
>Sunday theme and the Monday Night Football music (as well as that gawd-awful
>Hank Williams "Are You Ready For Some Football" song) are probably more
>widely known.

I like the old CBS NFL music--'talking pre-Fox days. Followed by
Brent Musburger's "you are looking live..."

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
http://davidclary.com

09 Apr 2007 21:57:13
R&B

<dave.clary@geewhizmail.com > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:08:30 -0400, ""R&B""
> <noneofyourbusiness@all.com> wrote:
>

>>Yeah, now that you mention it, I would have to agree that both the Fox NFL
>>Sunday theme and the Monday Night Football music (as well as that
>>gawd-awful
>>Hank Williams "Are You Ready For Some Football" song) are probably more
>>widely known.
>>
> I like the old CBS NFL music--'talking pre-Fox days. Followed by
> Brent Musburger's "you are looking live..."

You mean this one...

http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/Sports/TV%20Theme%20-%20CBS,%20NFL%20(1980).wav

Randy

09 Apr 2007 22:59:54
Re: "Augusta" by Dave Loggins - the actual song

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 21:57:13 -0400, ""R&B""
<noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote:

>http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/Sports

Yep, that's it!! The hell with the first Robin in the spring -- I
looked forward to hearing that in the fall (or end of summer if you
will).