21 Aug 2003 00:19:59
Paul
Can't take my swing from the range to the course

I have a dilemma, and it's quite the dilemma. At the driving range I can hit
the ball really well, good distance, nice trajectory, never really slice it
bad. But when I get on the course it's totally different. It gets real bad.
almost like I've never played before. I started in April and have only
played about 6 times so far this year. I saw a previous post about someone
having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
over and over. I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and staying
away from the regular plastic turf tees. Any other ideas? I guess it's
something mental, I don't know. But it's taking a huge toll on my game. My
pro said it wasnt even the same swing, he said he'll try to think of
something. I played with him today and he was kind of taken back, he knows
how I can hit the ball. I'm not great but moving along well considering how
long I've been playing. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me
know. I'm desperate.
Also, this situation has happened almost every time I played this year.

thanks
paul

21 Aug 2003 09:28:43
Blair P. Houghton
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

>almost like I've never played before. I started in April and have only
>played about 6 times so far this year. I saw a previous post about someone
>having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
>about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
>over and over. I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and staying
>away from the regular plastic turf tees. Any other ideas? I guess it's
>something mental, I don't know. But it's taking a huge toll on my game. My

Situational awareness. You have no practice with that
swing in a course situation, so your body won't insert
the mechanics of that swing when you're on the course.
You have to get your sense memory of the course situations
out of your head when you're over the ball on the course.
You're rebuilding that sense memory from a clean slate.

Imagine the ball is a range ball, imagine the fairway is
the open swath of the range, and imagine you don't really
give a damn where it goes, just like a shot at the range.
(Easy to do when you realize how silly a game it really is.)

Take no mulligans (they release your mind from the
contract, and don't exist at the range) and take no
practice swings (unless you're already religious about
preshot routine for every ball hit at the range, or the
ball's under a bush or something).

Also, hitting from tees and mats is okay for some practice,
but you have to hit off grass at the range sometimes
because grass is a different mental situation from a mat.

And a different physical situation: Mats are very
forgiving on fat and thin shots, and slippery. Grass
demands good ball striking and acceleration.

>pro said it wasnt even the same swing, he said he'll try to think of
>something. I played with him today and he was kind of taken back, he knows
>how I can hit the ball. I'm not great but moving along well considering how
>long I've been playing. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me
>know. I'm desperate.

I played with stiff wrists and a strangling grip for 13
years. Banana-slices from hell on every non-putt shot.
Then I fixed it at the range, then lost it, then found
it again, but couldn't find that swing on the course.
Then I came upon the idea of not giving a damn on the
course for a few rounds. Blew up my scores, but they came
back when the swing showed up, and then dropped several
strokes below my old performance, and are looking like I
may make a flat bogey average soon, which puts me a good
10 strokes ahead of "playing my slice".

>Also, this situation has happened almost every time I played this year.

It will always happen until you decide to restart your brain.

--Blair
"Who says repression can't be a good thing?"

21 Aug 2003 09:54:46
mj
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

I've had a similar problem over the last coupls of weeks -
been staying at my in laws - who happen to live next to a
course (which my partner mum is a manager at :-) )

Anyway - they have a 150yd square piece of land at the side
of the house and I took my wedges to practice some Pelz'

Practising off grass I was really grooving it - then her mum
says why don't you go onto the 9th and play about - didn't
need to ask twice !

Disaster - and a real confidence destroyer. I used to practice
on my course when I was younger and developed a good short
game. On the patch of land it was there - on course it was gone !

This happened every night for about 5 days - then I noticed something.
Before I initiated a shot I opened my mouth wide as if to yawn and
I felt my face muscles relax - hit a great shot. Next shot I assesed
my facial tension and I was nearly grinding my teeth.

FOr some reason my tension level was much higher - and hence the
duff shots. I forcibly relaxed (if possible ) and hit is sweet - as I hit
more good shots I relaxed more and it was as if I was on the "patch"
again.

So you might try to pisck up on how tense you are - I usually try to
relax my hands on setup - but my mouth/jaw is a better indicator now.
Then try to develop a method of relaxing your neck / shoulders / hands
during your preshot routine.

my 2c
mj

21 Aug 2003 07:27:57
David Sneddon

Paul wrote:
> I have a dilemma, and it's quite the dilemma. At the driving range I can hit
> the ball really well, good distance, nice trajectory, never really slice it
> bad. But when I get on the course it's totally different. It gets real bad.
>snippage<

> thanks
> paul

At the range you are practising and concentrating on your swing.

On the course try, (and it is difficult), to think only of your target,
not the swing. In other words trust the swing you have grooved on the
range, and now think only of the target. The target should be as small
as possible, and there should be a target for *every* shot.

--
David Sneddon

======================
Hi-Tech Turf
Synthetic Turf Applications
======================

21 Aug 2003 13:59:21
Larry St. Regis

"Paul" <dontgive@spam.com > wrote in message
> I have a dilemma, and it's quite the dilemma. At the driving range I can
hit
> the ball really well, good distance, nice trajectory, never really slice
it
> bad. But when I get on the course it's totally different. It gets real
bad.
> almost like I've never played before. I started in April and have only
> played about 6 times so far this year. I saw a previous post about someone
> having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
> about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
> over and over. I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and
staying
> away from the regular plastic turf tees. Any other ideas? I guess it's
> something mental, I don't know. But it's taking a huge toll on my game. My
> pro said it wasnt even the same swing, he said he'll try to think of
> something. I played with him today and he was kind of taken back, he knows
> how I can hit the ball. I'm not great but moving along well considering
how
> long I've been playing. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me
> know. I'm desperate.
> Also, this situation has happened almost every time I played this year.
>
> thanks
> paul

Paul,

Two things come to mind:

(1) Don't EVER practice on mats if you can avoid it.

You can NOT get proper feedback on what your swing is doing on mats ...
period. It is physically possible to hit the mat as far as 1 1/2" behind the
ball, and still "slide" the club into the ball and make decent contact. You
cannot do that on grass. You'll never really know where you're actually
hitting the ball unless you start examining your divots.
When you're on the grass range, place a tee to indicate where the back of
the ball is (about 2" away from the ball). Consistently work on starting
your divots where the ball lies, and continuing past the ball. Your divots
should rarely start behind the ball! This is important! You can't make good,
crisp contact unless you hit down on the ball ... and you cannot guage that
on artificial mats.

(2) Play more!!
If at all possible, find a little par-3 course near you. Seriously. We've
had a great little par 28 nine holer built near our house. That little
course has done more for my game than anything else. I never hit the woods
on this course, and it has forced me to sharpen my iron shots tremendously!
Last night, I hit nine of nine greens for the first time. Hole yardages
range from 98 to 174, with a 330 yard par 4 for good measure.

Being on the course more will introduce you to a number of factors that
are difficult to duplicate on most ranges: rough, hilly lies, short chips,
bunkers.

My brother had the best critique of my game ever ... "You know, you've got
the most beautiful practice swing I've ever seen ... I have no idea how you
can screw it up so badly in less than a minute!"

Good luck!
Larry

21 Aug 2003 16:46:04
Colleyville Alan
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

"Paul" <dontgive@spam.com > wrote in message

>I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and staying
> away from the regular plastic turf tees.

Good idea. I grooved a swing that worked on the mats and was surprised when
I went to the course that it was not remotely functional. I hit the ball
fat and the mats let me get away with it, but the turf did not. Now I am
practicing on grass and it is frustrating to hit the ball so poorly. But at
least I know my results are real. Until golf changes its rules to allow me
to lift, clean, and replace the ball on a mat, I will be avoiding them.

21 Aug 2003 12:09:09
bighorn_bill
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

"Paul" <dontgive@spam.com > wrote in message news:<vk8ia3gk1am966@corp.supernews.com>...
> I have a dilemma, and it's quite the dilemma. At the driving range I can hit
> the ball really well, good distance, nice trajectory, never really slice it
> bad. But when I get on the course it's totally different. It gets real bad.
> almost like I've never played before. I started in April and have only
> played about 6 times so far this year. I saw a previous post about someone
> having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
> about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
> over and over. I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and staying
> away from the regular plastic turf tees. Any other ideas? I guess it's
> something mental, I don't know. But it's taking a huge toll on my game. My
> pro said it wasnt even the same swing, he said he'll try to think of
> something. I played with him today and he was kind of taken back, he knows
> how I can hit the ball. I'm not great but moving along well considering how
> long I've been playing. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me
> know. I'm desperate.
> Also, this situation has happened almost every time I played this year.
>
> thanks
> paul

My mantra used to be "Take lessons".

Now it's "Take a few weeks off. Then quit."

21 Aug 2003 20:05:40
Wolverine
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

Here's an interesting Moe Norman quote, off course it's directed at Pro's:

"What's the longest walk in golf? It's from the practice tee to the first
tee. I don't care if it's 10 yards. It's the longest walk in golf. Winners
take their swing with them. Losers don't." - Moe Norman

"Paul" <dontgive@spam.com > wrote in message
> I have a dilemma, and it's quite the dilemma. At the driving range I can
hit
> the ball really well, good distance, nice trajectory, never really slice
it
> bad. But when I get on the course it's totally different. It gets real
bad.
> almost like I've never played before. I started in April and have only
> played about 6 times so far this year. I saw a previous post about someone
> having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
> about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
> over and over. I also thought about practicing on the grass tees and
staying
> away from the regular plastic turf tees. Any other ideas? I guess it's
> something mental, I don't know. But it's taking a huge toll on my game. My
> pro said it wasnt even the same swing, he said he'll try to think of
> something. I played with him today and he was kind of taken back, he knows
> how I can hit the ball. I'm not great but moving along well considering
how
> long I've been playing. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me
> know. I'm desperate.
> Also, this situation has happened almost every time I played this year.
>
> thanks
> paul

21 Aug 2003 18:22:08
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

We hear you have trouble bringing your "A game" to the bedroom too.

22 Aug 2003 22:00:49
bogus
Re: Can't take my swing from the range to the course

In article <Ze41b.3733$x71.760@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com >,
"Larry St. Regis" <lstregis@DONT_SPAM_HEREi4putt.com > wrote:

> Two things come to mind:
>
> (1) Don't EVER practice on mats if you can avoid it.

Megadittos. Mats suck. I don't know what the point is to hit off the
mat, all it trains you to do is to not take a divot. Having learned that
is it any wonder that on the course I hit half my irons thin? Hitting
off the rubber tee is only marginally useful if that's the exact length
you'd tee up your driver. If not it's a waste of time. About the only
shot off a mat that's close to playing conditions is your fairway wood
where you have to pick it clean off the deck.

I drive 30 minutes further to practice on a range with turf or I find a
vacant field and practice my wedges. Or I just go to the course and take
my chances.

> I saw a previous post about someone
> having an issue with there driver and may follow one of the suggestions
> about practicing like I was playing instead of just hitting the same club
> over and over.

Bingo. Wedge, 8, 5, 3, Driver and back down again. One ball each and
shoot at an appropriate distanced target for each club. Give it a try.
. .

25 Aug 2003 15:38:56
Larry St. Regis

news:<bogus-35B286.22004922082003@duke.speedfactory.net >...
> > In article <Ze41b.3733$x71.760@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
> > "Larry St. Regis" <lstregis@DONT_SPAM_HEREi4putt.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Two things come to mind:
> > >
> > > (1) Don't EVER practice on mats if you can avoid it.
> >
> > Megadittos. Mats suck. I don't know what the point is to hit off the
> > mat, all it trains you to do is to not take a divot. Having learned that
> > is it any wonder that on the course I hit half my irons thin? Hitting
> > off the rubber tee is only marginally useful if that's the exact length
> > you'd tee up your driver. If not it's a waste of time.
>
> Oh... I disagree...
>
> Some tour pro once said... when you are working on a swing change use
> a tee. Remove the inconsistency of lie from the equation. I do a lot
> of practicing with a tee and a 5I. There is little if any adjustment
> to make when I hit from the ground. Same with the rubber tee on a
> mat. May not be the exact same height as you normally tee, but unless
> it's way different, it won't make much if any difference. If you can
> the ball well off one, you should be able to hit it well off the

I REALLY think there's a huge difference between "working on a swing change
use a tee" and "use a tee on an artificial mat". There is no way in the
world that a mat can duplicate playing conditions. You can "slide" the club
into the ball on a mat ... which may give you the impression that you're
making solid contact when you're not! Likewise, how in the world can you
analyze your divots ... both for start/end points and direction ... if
you're hitting off a mat?

Jack Nicklaus said he would ALWAYS use a tee on a par three ... didn't
matter which club he was hitting. "Makes no sense not to ... why not
eliminate all grass between club and ball if they're going to let you!"
However, he tees the ball about 1/8" above the ground, and that's very
difficult to do on an artificial mat.

Larry