10 Nov 2005 13:54:55
Spam-Killer
Dry and Wet Grass?

Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is wet
from dew and playing on dry grass?

10 Nov 2005 15:14:37
Paul Schmitz-Josten
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

Spam-Killer in <PiIcf.2117$2T3.2029@tornado.tampabay.rr.com >:

>Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is wet
>from dew and playing on dry grass?

Yes, it does. Mow your lawn and try it the next day ,
e.g. with a tennis ball. If there ain't no dew, first try it dry
and water it afterwards.

Ciao,

Paul

10 Nov 2005 07:25:22
Howard Brazee
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:54:55 GMT, "Spam-Killer"
<SpamKiller@nospam.com > wrote:

>Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is wet
>from dew and playing on dry grass?

I expect the wet grass to slow down my putts before the greens are
squeegeed and hit long.

10 Nov 2005 06:40:33
oconnell@slr.orl.lmco.com
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

Spam-Killer wrote:
> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is wet
> from dew and playing on dry grass?

I've been told it will reduce the magintude of a slice. Dunno if
it's
true nor noticable.

10 Nov 2005 15:00:08
Dave Lee
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

"Spam-Killer" <SpamKiller@nospam.com > wrote in message
> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is
wet
> from dew and playing on dry grass?

Early in the morning putts will tend to be slower, greens will tend to hold
better, and it will be much harder to get good spin on a partial wedge shot.

dave

ps. Of course if there is dew literally standing on the greens then putts
are HUGELY slower.

10 Nov 2005 11:29:18
David Geesaman
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

<oconnell@slr.orl.lmco.com > wrote in message

> Spam-Killer wrote:
>> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is
>> wet
>> from dew and playing on dry grass?
>
> I've been told it will reduce the magintude of a slice. Dunno if
> it's
> true nor noticable.

Yes it will reduce the magnitude - especially if there is grass trapped
between the club and ball. Wet ball on club usually retains pretty good
grip and doesn't behave as much as a flier lie.

Dave

10 Nov 2005 10:54:36
warren montgomery
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

"Spam-Killer" <SpamKiller@nospam.com > wrote in message
> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is
> wet from dew and playing on dry grass?
My feet get wetter on dew :-)

Seriously water on the grass matters to lots of things. wet grass has less
roll. The greens are slower (but if they haven't yet been mowed you can see
the tracks of the folks ahead of you to know the breaks). I find it easier
to hit little pitches in wet grass where the wedge slips easily through it
than on the dry stuff which sometimes sticks.

--
Warren Montgomery (wamontgomery@att.net)
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery

11 Nov 2005 16:43:27
DJD
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

Spam-Killer wrote:
> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is wet
> from dew and playing on dry grass?

Wet greens are generally slower and you get less roll in the fairway.
But the biggest difference for me is spin off my irons, approach shots
that would stop if everything was dry instead roll. With high shots that
drop almost straight down (e.g., LW) the difference isn't much, but with
say a 7 iron, it can complete change how I play my approach shots.

If the ball and green are dry I tend to be more aggressive with my mid
and short irons, often aiming at the pin, over bunkers or hazards, etc.,
trusting the spin to stop the ball. But when it is wet I have to play
for the ball to land short and roll. That means if there is a bunker in
front of the pin I can't play right at the flag, I have to play to the
open part of the green, so I can land short and let the ball roll. And
that may not be towards the flag.

--
Dan Driscoll
RSG FAQ: http://ttsoft.com/thor/rsggolf.html

11 Nov 2005 19:28:29
Spam-Killer
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

So the high-spin balls are worthless when the condition is wet. They are as
good as distance (non-spin) ball, Correct?

"DJD" <NoSpammers@BiteMe.com > wrote in message
> Spam-Killer wrote:
>> Does it make difference between playing in early morning while grass is
>> wet from dew and playing on dry grass?
>

> Wet greens are generally slower and you get less roll in the fairway. But
> the biggest difference for me is spin off my irons, approach shots that
> would stop if everything was dry instead roll. With high shots that drop
> almost straight down (e.g., LW) the difference isn't much, but with say a
> 7 iron, it can complete change how I play my approach shots.
>
> If the ball and green are dry I tend to be more aggressive with my mid and
> short irons, often aiming at the pin, over bunkers or hazards, etc.,
> trusting the spin to stop the ball. But when it is wet I have to play for
> the ball to land short and roll. That means if there is a bunker in front
> of the pin I can't play right at the flag, I have to play to the open part
> of the green, so I can land short and let the ball roll. And that may not
> be towards the flag.
>
> --
> Dan Driscoll
> RSG FAQ: http://ttsoft.com/thor/rsggolf.html

11 Nov 2005 14:58:06

> So the high-spin balls are worthless when the condition is wet. They are
> as good as distance (non-spin) ball, Correct?

Not correct. The high spin ball will spin more than a low-spin ball in
both situations. Both will see less spin than in dry conditions.

Dave

11 Nov 2005 22:31:42
DJD
Re: Dry and Wet Grass?

Spam-Killer wrote:
> So the high-spin balls are worthless when the condition is wet. They are as
> good as distance (non-spin) ball, Correct?

I'll add my response to David's. The spin is reduced, it doesn't
disappear. So if a spin ball will release and roll 10-15 feet in wet
conditions, a distance ball may roll 20-30 feet under the same conditions.

I do think a distance ball will be less affected by wet conditions.
Under dry conditions the distance ball might have still rolled 15-20
feet. OTOH, the spin ball may not have rolled at all and might even have
backed up (i.e. negative roll).