07 Jul 2006 20:38:04
Fun scramble ideas

I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

07 Jul 2006 23:46:04
R&B
Re: Fun scramble ideas

<Aprilolaw@yahoo.com > wrote ...
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

I always thought an orgy at the turn added a certain something.

Randy

07 Jul 2006 23:46:34
Bert Robbins
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

Closest to pin on a par 3.
Longest drive on a hole.
Hole in one on another par 3.
Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.

Played in one a couple of months ago and it was a lot of fun.

08 Jul 2006 04:22:54
Carbon
Re: Fun scramble ideas

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:38:04 -0700, Aprilolaw wrote:

> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time. Would like
> ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll probably do 4 person
> scramble format. HELP!

Church outing, huh? What you need is something to test the mettle of your
congregation. I nominate worst ball. Unlike a best ball scramble where
everyone hits the best shot, everyone hits the worst shot. Make sure
there is at least one 30 handicapper in each group.

07 Jul 2006 21:50:29
gpsman
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

Simplest solution? WWJD...? I don't think he'd waste time playing
golf when so much misery exists.
-----

- gpsman

08 Jul 2006 08:53:51
Chris Bellomy
Re: Fun scramble ideas

""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote:
: <Aprilolaw@yahoo.com > wrote ...
: > I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
: > Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
: > probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!
:
: I always thought an orgy at the turn added a certain something.

I think I'm going to need to learn a lot more about this before
deciding about attending the next RSG-Atlanta.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

08 Jul 2006 06:16:30
Jackson
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Had a fun event at our club last month. It was a step-aside scramble with a
blind draw for the holes that would count toward the total nine hole score.
Kept the baggers relatively honest.
<Aprilolaw@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

08 Jul 2006 13:56:11
Don Fordham
Re: Fun scramble ideas

<Aprilolaw@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

We had our church tournament recently and the previously unannounced top
prize was based on Matthew 19:30.

08 Jul 2006 13:15:20
R&B
Re: Fun scramble ideas

No need. RSG-ATLANTA is not a church scramble.

Randy

"Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote in message
> ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com> wrote:
> : <Aprilolaw@yahoo.com> wrote ...
> : > I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> : > Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> : > probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!
> :
> : I always thought an orgy at the turn added a certain something.
>
> I think I'm going to need to learn a lot more about this before
> deciding about attending the next RSG-Atlanta.
>
> --
> Chris Bellomy
> C-List Charter Member
> http://clist.org/

08 Jul 2006 18:28:11
uncle k
Re: Fun scramble ideas

"Bert Robbins" <screw@you.com > wrote in message

> Closest to pin on a par 3.
> Longest drive on a hole.
> Hole in one on another par 3.
> Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.....................

Well Bert, you had me, until you suggested $5 Mulligans. It's a church
tournament, for God's sake!

;-{

PS Whatever you do, April, keep it simple, for the good of the
congregation. Good luck.

08 Jul 2006 17:44:46
Bert Robbins
Re: Fun scramble ideas

uncle k wrote:
> "Bert Robbins" <screw@you.com> wrote in message
>> Closest to pin on a par 3.
>> Longest drive on a hole.
>> Hole in one on another par 3.
>> Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.....................
>
> Well Bert, you had me, until you suggested $5 Mulligans. It's a church
> tournament, for God's sake!
>
> ;-{

Why? The purpose of the event is to generate money for a particular
cause. Five dollar mulligans is just another way to increase the money
the church/charity receives. The last one I participated in also had a
50/50 pool and the guy that won was greedy enough to keep the money
rather than let the church sponsored youth football teams keep the money.

> PS Whatever you do, April, keep it simple, for the good of the
> congregation. Good luck.

09 Jul 2006 13:20:43
Chuck the Cat
Re: Fun scramble ideas

<Aprilolaw@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

A couple of ideas....1. Everyone's drive must be used at least once or
twice, You could add you must use everyone's fairway shot at least once or
twice. ( a fairway shot is any shot not hit off the tee . If the ball is on
the green it is a putt and not a fairway shot)
2.Everyone hits a drive and whoever's shot you chose DOESN'T hit the next
shot. This continues until the ball is holed out.
3. You can only use anyone persons drive no more than 4 times. (nine holes)
These rules take the dominant player and lessen his impact, making it more
fun for everyone else.

09 Jul 2006 10:29:46
pete z
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Bert Robbins wrote:
> Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> > Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> > probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!
> >

> Closest to pin on a par 3.
> Longest drive on a hole.
> Hole in one on another par 3.
> Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.
>
> Played in one a couple of months ago and it was a lot of fun

Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
the third best drive, so the best
two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.

09 Jul 2006 14:28:34
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Highest shot count each hole drinks Drano.

10 Jul 2006 08:26:49
Howard Brazee
Re: Fun scramble ideas

On 9 Jul 2006 10:29:46 -0700, "pete z" <pz0326@aol.com > wrote:

>Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
>off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
>from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
>the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
>This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
>it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
>the third best drive, so the best
>two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.

I like that. I've never heard of it, but it sounds like fun. I
assume that on the 5th shot, everybody hits?

10 Jul 2006 15:27:07
pete z
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Howard Brazee wrote:
> On 9 Jul 2006 10:29:46 -0700, "pete z" <pz0326@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
> >off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
> >from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
> >the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
> >This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
> >it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
> >the third best drive, so the best
> >two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.
>
> I like that. I've never heard of it, but it sounds like fun. I
> assume that on the 5th shot, everybody hits?

Nope, you are just eliminated from hitting the shot if your shot is
chosen, so you always
only have 3 hitting, except from the tee. The real strategy is around
the greens. You
don't want to use the shot on the green of your best putter, because he
would not be able to hit the first putt. Of course, if he is the only
one one the green, you
would have to use his shot, thereby eliminating him from the first putt.

11 Jul 2006 07:53:21
Howard Brazee
Re: Fun scramble ideas

On 10 Jul 2006 15:27:07 -0700, "pete z" <pz0326@aol.com > wrote:

>Nope, you are just eliminated from hitting the shot if your shot is
>chosen, so you always
>only have 3 hitting, except from the tee. The real strategy is around
>the greens. You
>don't want to use the shot on the green of your best putter, because he
>would not be able to hit the first putt. Of course, if he is the only
>one one the green, you
>would have to use his shot, thereby eliminating him from the first putt.

Ahh, so the person whose shot counts, only sits out the next shot.
Someone else sits out the subsequent shot.

http://www.usenet.com

11 Jul 2006 09:34:52
Larry Bud
Re: Fun scramble ideas

> Five dollar mulligans is just another way to increase the money
> the church/charity receives. The last one I participated in also had a
> 50/50 pool and the guy that won was greedy enough to keep the money
> rather than let the church sponsored youth football teams keep the money.

Oh come on, it's not a 100/0 raffle, it's a 50/50. The charity got 1/2
of the money that was put into the pot.

11 Jul 2006 15:04:13
sfb
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Dear Larry, the winner is supposed to be a good guy not a selfish fuck and
give his 50% to the charity.

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com > wrote in message

>> Five dollar mulligans is just another way to increase the money
>> the church/charity receives. The last one I participated in also had a
>> 50/50 pool and the guy that won was greedy enough to keep the money
>> rather than let the church sponsored youth football teams keep the money.
>
> Oh come on, it's not a 100/0 raffle, it's a 50/50. The charity got 1/2
> of the money that was put into the pot.

11 Jul 2006 12:49:32
JJVP
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Why would you want the best player/putter putt first on a scramble? The
best player/putter should putt last. That way he has 2 -3 shots at
seeing the line and speed of the putt. The best strategy for scrambles
is to let the worst putter putt first to give the line to the better
putters. No sense on letting the worst putter putt last after the
better putters have missed.

JJVP

pete z wrote:
> Bert Robbins wrote:
> > Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> > > Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> > > probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!
> > >

> > Closest to pin on a par 3.
> > Longest drive on a hole.
> > Hole in one on another par 3.
> > Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.
> >
> > Played in one a couple of months ago and it was a lot of fun
>
> Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
> off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
> from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
> the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
> This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
> it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
> the third best drive, so the best
> two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.

12 Jul 2006 17:32:17
Mike Dalecki
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

One variation: Make a few holes where they can only use one club and a
putter. Such as, for instance, only a 3-wood and putter. Everyone hits
both each time.

Or a 7-iron and putter.

The most fun scrambles I play involve having to use each person's drive
a certain number of times. In 18 holes, you might require each person's
drive to be used at least 3 times, for instance. It results in a
certain amount of strategy, as you have to figure out how to get
everyone's drive in before it's too late.

Mike

Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2006: June 23-25 Info: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2006/
RSG-Wisconsin 2005 Pics: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2005/pics/

damnyankee
Re: Fun scramble ideas

Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!

Here's a few to mix things up. A scramble isn't real golf anyways so
you might as well have fun with it.

On the hardest par 3, require the teams to hit into a bunker off the
tee. If they miss, they must hit their 2nd shot into the bunker.
(closest to the pin in 2 wins a crappy ole sand wedge.)
On a par 5, each player plays a single club all the way into the hole.
Each member can select a different club but must use it for every shot.

Get a really short kids putter to use on a green.(longest putt made
wins the putter)
Put a ladies driver on a "long drive" hole. Announce the prize
afterwards of some ladies golf balls.

Long drives are fun when you make a V line with the point towards the
green. Drive must be in the V. Accuracy and length are rewarded.

Put a left handed and right handed driver on a long drive hole and
force the players to switch hands.

Bryan

12 Jul 2006 19:27:18
Larry Bud
Re: Fun scramble ideas

sfb wrote:

> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Five dollar mulligans is just another way to increase the money
> >> the church/charity receives. The last one I participated in also had a
> >> 50/50 pool and the guy that won was greedy enough to keep the money
> >> rather than let the church sponsored youth football teams keep the money.
> >
> > Oh come on, it's not a 100/0 raffle, it's a 50/50. The charity got 1/2
> > of the money that was put into the pot.

> Dear Larry, the winner is supposed to be a good guy not a selfish fuck and
> give his 50% to the charity.

Ridiculous. Then don't fucking lie about it and call it a raffle.
Instead call it a donation and don't give ANYTHING away.

12 Jul 2006 21:58:36
Bobby Knight
Re: Fun scramble ideas

On 12 Jul 2006 19:27:18 -0700, "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com >
wrote:

>sfb wrote:
>

>> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Oh come on, it's not a 100/0 raffle, it's a 50/50. The charity got 1/2
>> > of the money that was put into the pot.
>
>> Dear Larry, the winner is supposed to be a good guy not a selfish fuck and
>> give his 50% to the charity.
>
>Ridiculous. Then don't fucking lie about it and call it a raffle.
>Instead call it a donation and don't give ANYTHING away.

I agree. I played a tournament a week ago that had something that
raised money on several holes....including long drive on one, a roll
of a die on two par fives, and something on every par three.

Every one of these situations gave the donor a chance to win money
or pro shop credit. Otherwise, you'd just be giving $5 to $10
donation on about 6 holes, the obligatory $10 for a couple of
mulligans, plus your entry fee. Sharing that one pot isn't selfish at
all.
___,

/
.
“Someone likes every shot”
bk

12 Jul 2006 22:35:48
Birdie Bill
Re: Fun scramble ideas

pete z wrote:
> Bert Robbins wrote:
> > Aprilolaw@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > I'm helping organize our church golf scramble...first time.
> > > Would like ideas for fun ways to play the holes. We'll
> > > probably do 4 person scramble format. HELP!
> > >

> > Closest to pin on a par 3.
> > Longest drive on a hole.
> > Hole in one on another par 3.
> > Mulligans for $5 per, not usable on the above holes.
> >
> > Played in one a couple of months ago and it was a lot of fun
>
> Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
> off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
> from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
> the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
> This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
> it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
> the third best drive, so the best
> two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.

Sounds like a long day. I don't know why scrambles take so long
to play, but making them more difficult can only make it worse.
Take pity on the people stuck behind you.

13 Jul 2006 08:03:54
Howard Brazee
Re: Fun scramble ideas

On 12 Jul 2006 22:35:48 -0700, "Birdie Bill"
<bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote:

>> Another way to do a scramble is called a Texas Scramble.Everyone tees
>> off, you pick the best shot, but then the person who hits it cannot hit
>> from that position. So only 3 hit the next shot. If the next shot is on
>> the green, the person who hit it cannot putt first.
>> This will keep teams from using one guy's ball all the way around. And
>> it calls for a little strategy, especially on par fives. You might take
>> the third best drive, so the best
>> two players can hit the second or third shot, or first putt.
>
>Sounds like a long day. I don't know why scrambles take so long
>to play, but making them more difficult can only make it worse.
>Take pity on the people stuck behind you.

It sounds like Texas Scramble is a bit faster than regular Scramble,
as every shot after the tee shot only has 3 players.