21 Jun 2004 20:04:33
LoneGolfer
Taylor Made r80 " plus" graphite shaft - flex?

OK, I know the r80 shaft is regular flex. But what flex is the R80 "plus"?
Is it towards the stiff shaft, or more of a senior flex? Their web site was
no help, and the shaft is a circa 1998 bubble shaft.

21 Jun 2004 19:58:19
pontiac493
Re: Taylor Made r80 " plus" graphite shaft - flex?

"LoneGolfer" <LoneGolfer@DeerTrackSouth.com > wrote:
> OK, I know the r80 shaft is regular flex. But what flex is the R80 "plus"?
> Is it towards the stiff shaft, or more of a senior flex? Their web site was
> no help, and the shaft is a circa 1998 bubble shaft.

IIRC, (and that's a big if), TaylorMade just put that on there to
market the next years clubs. It makes it sound newer, different,
better.

21 Jun 2004 22:54:10
Mike Dalecki

LoneGolfer wrote:
> OK, I know the r80 shaft is regular flex. But what flex is the R80 "plus"?
> Is it towards the stiff shaft, or more of a senior flex? Their web site was
> no help, and the shaft is a circa 1998 bubble shaft.

I just so happen to be swapping a couple of TM shafts in two drivers,
one an R80 and the other S90. Remembering this thread, I checked the
frequency on each just before I pulled them.

In a word, they are both very weak flexes. They *are* about a flex
apart (meaning approximately 10cpm apart), but the R80 I'd consider to
be something like ladie's flex, and the S90 something like senior flex,
maybe a tad more.

In fact, I put them in my frequency meter with a 3" clamping zone rather
than the more standard 5" clamping zone that most frequency meters come
with (this 3" clamp zone is what Precision is supposed to use to produce
their flex designations).

Get this: at that clamping setup, the Regular shaft comes out to be
about 3.7; the stiff about 4.8.

[take all that for what it's worth--what a "stiff" flex means has no
standard against which to compare, nor any other label. Suffice to say,
"stiff" in the TM S90 shaft is about 1.5 flexes *less* than the stiff
Fujikura Vista Pro 70 Stiff I have in my driver.]

I don't know if that's helpful to you at all or not, but I'd expect the
"plus" to be stiffer than the regular. But that said, I'd not expect it
to be all that stiff.

Mike

Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2004 Information: http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2004
RSG Roll Call:
http://rec-sport-golf.com/members/members_index.php?rollcall=daleckim&sort=

21 Jun 2004 22:20:12
fish

"Mike Dalecki" <mike@dalecki.net > wrote in message
> LoneGolfer wrote:
> > OK, I know the r80 shaft is regular flex. But what flex is the R80
"plus"?
> > Is it towards the stiff shaft, or more of a senior flex? Their web site
was
> > no help, and the shaft is a circa 1998 bubble shaft.
> >

> I just so happen to be swapping a couple of TM shafts in two drivers,
> one an R80 and the other S90. Remembering this thread, I checked the
> frequency on each just before I pulled them.
>
> In a word, they are both very weak flexes. They *are* about a flex
> apart (meaning approximately 10cpm apart), but the R80 I'd consider to
> be something like ladie's flex, and the S90 something like senior flex,
> maybe a tad more.
>
> In fact, I put them in my frequency meter with a 3" clamping zone rather
> than the more standard 5" clamping zone that most frequency meters come
> with (this 3" clamp zone is what Precision is supposed to use to produce
> their flex designations).
>
> Get this: at that clamping setup, the Regular shaft comes out to be
> about 3.7; the stiff about 4.8.
>
> [take all that for what it's worth--what a "stiff" flex means has no
> standard against which to compare, nor any other label. Suffice to say,
> "stiff" in the TM S90 shaft is about 1.5 flexes *less* than the stiff
> Fujikura Vista Pro 70 Stiff I have in my driver.]
>
> I don't know if that's helpful to you at all or not, but I'd expect the
> "plus" to be stiffer than the regular. But that said, I'd not expect it
> to be all that stiff.
>
> Mike

I have Taylormade Supersteel woods from about 2000. I also had a 320
driver. All had R-80 shafts. I had the shafts tested at a local clubmaker,
after I commented that my driver was getting wild as I improved. We found
that the drivers shaft, which was not the bubble shaft, tested at about a
ladies flex. The R-80 bubble shafts came out at a value that the clubmaker
said was what most people would call a regular, and was suitable for my then
90 mph swing.