30 Jun 2004 23:14:59
John Yoshizawa
Walking on the outside of one's foot

I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even when
I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that would
help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course today
and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of pain
on the outside of my ankles.

John

30 Jun 2004 23:32:17
Garuda
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

Don't watch you feet while walking at St. Andrew's as you may never be found
again.
Have you ever consulted a podiatrist!

30 Jun 2004 17:49:18
Mark A

"Garuda" <noname@invalid.com > wrote in message
> Don't watch you feet while walking at St. Andrew's as you may never be
found
> again.
> Have you ever consulted a podiatrist!

Maybe he thinks that podiatrists play golf, and my be on this forum.

01 Jul 2004 00:11:14
Gregory E. Garland

"John Yoshizawa" <jyosh@mindspring.com > wrote in message
> I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even
when
> I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that
would
> help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course
today
> and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
> the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of
pain
> on the outside of my ankles.

You probably need to see an orthopod if your under-pronation is so
severe that you are having pain after walking some distance. Note also
that bending over slightly to watch your feet tends to accentuate under-
pronating.

30 Jun 2004 19:34:52
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

John, probably the next best thing for relief, aside from seeing a foot
doctor, is to get "quality" shoes that fit you.

you might get temporary relief if you can find a dr. scholls store (or a
store that sells their products - drug store maybe) in your area, and
visit them for some help.

m h o
v =83e

30 Jun 2004 20:33:05
Frostback

John Yoshizawa wrote:

> I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even when
> I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that would
> help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course today
> and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
> the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of pain
> on the outside of my ankles.

I do this as well, and have always done it. When I was a kid, some snake oil
podiatrist sold my parents goofy shoes that they forced me to wear. They did no
good whatsoever. SnakeO said I wouldn't be able to walk when I was 30 if I
didn't wear his concoctions. I'm 48 and still walkin!

01 Jul 2004 02:02:36
John Yoshizawa
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

hehe frostback I am at that age and I can barely walk :)

John
"Frostback" <DBID@att.net > wrote in message news:40E369D1.7DBA88F@att.net...

> John Yoshizawa wrote:
>
> > I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even
when
> > I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that
would
> > help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course
today
> > and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands
on
> > the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of
pain
> > on the outside of my ankles.
> >

> I do this as well, and have always done it. When I was a kid, some snake
oil
> podiatrist sold my parents goofy shoes that they forced me to wear. They
did no
> good whatsoever. SnakeO said I wouldn't be able to walk when I was 30 if I
> didn't wear his concoctions. I'm 48 and still walkin!

01 Jul 2004 04:01:45
jeffc
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

"John Yoshizawa" <jyosh@mindspring.com > wrote in message
> I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even
when
> I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that
would
> help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course
today
> and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
> the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of
pain
> on the outside of my ankles.

The first thing I'd recommend is seeing an orthopedist, because what you
think is happening might not be what's actually happening. I had a problem
with my big toe joint for quite awhile. I wear out the outside heel on my
shoes. What was happening was I was striking the back outside of my heel,
then rolling toward the inside as weight moved forward, so I actually needed
a support on the inside of my heel so I didn't roll inward and put so much
pressure on my big toe joint.

01 Jul 2004 07:26:25
David Geesaman
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

Go see a podiatrist, and expect to buy some custom orthotics.

Most people have no idea how much of a difference poor biomechanics makes in
their lives - painful walking is among the least of them. Have this taken
care of now so you can enjoy some pain-free golf, and avoid knee surgery,
back pain, and countless other hellish wallet-emptying problems. A few
hundred dollars now will save you thousands in future years. IMO, there is
no alternative, only being foolish to put it off.

Dave

"John Yoshizawa" <jyosh@mindspring.com > wrote in message
> I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even
when
> I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that
would
> help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course
today
> and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
> the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of
pain
> on the outside of my ankles.
>
> John

01 Jul 2004 07:28:04
David Geesaman
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

Oh, and don't settle for anything less than a really good podiatrist. Dr.
Scholl's or some other half-qualified crack is a waste of money and can be
quite destructive. Trust noone other than the best - foot mechanics is a
very difficult subject to master.

Dave

"John Yoshizawa" <jyosh@mindspring.com > wrote in message
> I think this may be a symptom of overweight but, as far as I know even
when
> I was lighter I would walk this way. Does anyone know an insert that
would
> help correct this. The only reason I ask is that I was on the course
today
> and watching me feet when I walked it is EXTREME the way my foot lands on
> the outside portion of the foot; not to mention that is causes a lot of
pain
> on the outside of my ankles.
>
> John

01 Jul 2004 06:19:42
go raptors!
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

i think you over-suppinate as do i. the other guy said under-pronate
which is also correct.

anyhow, mine is pretty drastic but never caused me any pain.. however,
i did rupture my achilles perhaps due to this (i guess that qualifies
as pain, but i meant day to day pain)... anyhow, i got an ortho insert
and frankly didn't like it that much. i got expensive golf shoes which
have really helped and for running/tennis (you didn't ask), i got nice
new balance shoes (879 for running) and it really helps.

01 Jul 2004 06:19:49
go raptors!
Re: Walking on the outside of one's foot

i think you over-suppinate as do i. the other guy said under-pronate
which is also correct.

anyhow, mine is pretty drastic but never caused me any pain.. however,
i did rupture my achilles perhaps due to this (i guess that qualifies
as pain, but i meant day to day pain)... anyhow, i got an ortho insert
and frankly didn't like it that much. i got expensive golf shoes which
have really helped and for running/tennis (you didn't ask), i got nice
new balance shoes (879 for running) and it really helps.

01 Jul 2004 15:28:17
Frostback

"go raptors!" wrote:

> i think you over-suppinate as do i. the other guy said under-pronate
> which is also correct.
>
> anyhow, mine is pretty drastic but never caused me any pain.. however,
> i did rupture my achilles perhaps due to this (i guess that qualifies
> as pain, but i meant day to day pain)... anyhow, i got an ortho insert
> and frankly didn't like it that much. i got expensive golf shoes which
> have really helped and for running/tennis (you didn't ask), i got nice
> new balance shoes (879 for running) and it really helps.

That is basically what works for me, but you really don't have to pay a
lot for shoes. I have had really good luck with ordinary inserts. I don't
run much though as it causes too much damage.