05 Apr 2006 01:59:25
Carbon
Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
happen with lots of room to spare.

I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

05 Apr 2006 05:35:28
Larry Bud
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

Carbon wrote:
> I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
> Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
> could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
> happen with lots of room to spare.
>
> I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

Safe? Meaning you can't lose? No. I think you have a better than
50-50 chance, though.

The British and the Masters set up great for Tiger. You can spray it
all over hell and still make birdie, and as long as his short game
stays as good as it is he's going to win a bunch more of those.

05 Apr 2006 13:54:08
Brian Foster
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

Safe yes. But what will $100 look like by the time it happens. Do you have
an inflation clause?

"Carbon" <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net > wrote in message
>I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
> Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
> could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
> happen with lots of room to spare.
>
> I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

05 Apr 2006 08:10:18
Howard Brazee
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On 5 Apr 2006 05:35:28 -0700, "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com >
wrote:

>The British and the Masters set up great for Tiger. You can spray it
>all over hell and still make birdie, and as long as his short game
>stays as good as it is he's going to win a bunch more of those.

I'm not familiar with most of the courses where Tiger is likely to
play the British. Is it normal for top British courses to be very
open?

05 Apr 2006 09:27:28
Howard Brazee
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:54:08 GMT, "Brian Foster"
<brianfoster@houston.rr.com > wrote:

>Safe yes. But what will $100 look like by the time it happens. Do you have
>an inflation clause?

What do you do if he's 50 years old, is tied with Jack and is still
competing?

05 Apr 2006 08:32:15
AndyS

Howard Brazee wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2006 05:35:28 -0700, "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The British and the Masters set up great for Tiger. You can spray it
> >all over hell and still make birdie, and as long as his short game
> >stays as good as it is he's going to win a bunch more of those.
>
> I'm not familiar with most of the courses where Tiger is likely to
> play the British. Is it normal for top British courses to be very
> open?
Links golf.....

You can get an idea here:
http://www.opengolf.com/history/past_opens.sps

05 Apr 2006 10:00:37
Howard Brazee

On 5 Apr 2006 08:32:15 -0700, "AndyS" <astritof@comcast.net > wrote:

>> I'm not familiar with most of the courses where Tiger is likely to
>> play the British. Is it normal for top British courses to be very
>> open?
>Links golf.....
>
>You can get an idea here:
>http://www.opengolf.com/history/past_opens.sps

Just looking at the map, I don't see a single inland location. But
I didn't see if, say Holylake actually plays like that.

How hard is it for a new course to get added to the circuit?

05 Apr 2006 17:32:43
tiggerspalebride
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

In article <pan.2006.04.05.02.00.32.313320@nospam.verizon.net >
Carbon <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net > wrote:

Until the dopes at Augusta figure out that length isn't everything and
rough is found in all "other" majors, tigger can own the place. He may
win 10 jackets there alone.

05 Apr 2006 12:03:13
Howard Brazee
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On 5 Apr 2006 17:32:43 -0000, tiggerspalebride <anon@comments.header >
wrote:

>Until the dopes at Augusta figure out that length isn't everything and
>rough is found in all "other" majors, tigger can own the place. He may
>win 10 jackets there alone.

I'd like to see some philosophical changes to the course - but I don't
want to see it trying to be the same as the other majors.

I want four unique events favoring different types of play.

05 Apr 2006 11:13:40
Rude Dog
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

"Carbon" <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net > wrote in message
>I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
> Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
> could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
> happen with lots of room to spare.
>
> I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

If the Players gets "major" status, will that count?

05 Apr 2006 18:24:26
Bobby Knight
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:03:13 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net >
wrote:

>On 5 Apr 2006 17:32:43 -0000, tiggerspalebride <anon@comments.header>
>wrote:
>
>>Until the dopes at Augusta figure out that length isn't everything and
>>rough is found in all "other" majors, tigger can own the place. He may
>>win 10 jackets there alone.
>
>I'd like to see some philosophical changes to the course - but I don't
>want to see it trying to be the same as the other majors.
>
>I want four unique events favoring different types of play.

Be sure to let Hootie know what you want. The PGA, USGA and R&A
probably won't listen.
bk

05 Apr 2006 20:35:26
tiggerspalebride
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

In article <sg1832l2hmii8e45ne54u23ir8seqvq018@4ax.com >
Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net > wrote:

I don't mind seeing courses changed but it's been shown over the past few
years that a pretty good tourny can be run without extending the holes to
the point where 90% of the field is taken out of the mix. If I could do
that with the horses or the lottery, I could almost afford to fill up the
tank.

05 Apr 2006 20:35:26
tiggerspalebride
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

In article <fj2832d936jclogmu911tkjlaq02cnijmm@4ax.com >
Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net > wrote:

and Hootie's the deafest one of all.

05 Apr 2006 23:04:39
Heather Whins

wrote:

> I'd like to see some philosophical changes to the course

Yes. Let's revise the 12th hole's ethical and moral standards...they
really stink. And the logical positivism of the 15th is so passť!
What an atavistic miasma! Hard to believe, really.
All in all, the Cartesian structure of the front 9 is quite a
challenge, even though there are spots that definitely need work.
Teleologically the 3rd hole is an abomination, the 6th is
tautologically unsound, and 9's categorical imperative is really out
of place in a laissez-faire environment. Besides, Kant played off
scratch, as most scholars now admit.
Keep the either/or on 18, though...it's a nice finish to the quid pro
quo of the whole back 9.

05 Apr 2006 23:26:02
tiggerspalebride
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

In article <dui832tkvvv0hff3vqel808hrp7b59vi7g@4ax.com >
Heather Whins <Arroghie@121.com > wrote:

I think I read this is Cliff notes sometime ago.

05 Apr 2006 23:41:24
Bobby Knight
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On 5 Apr 2006 23:26:02 -0000, tiggerspalebride <anon@comments.header >
wrote:

>In article <dui832tkvvv0hff3vqel808hrp7b59vi7g@4ax.com>
>Heather Whins <Arroghie@121.com> wrote:
>
>I think I read this is Cliff notes sometime ago.

Doubtful.
___,

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

05 Apr 2006 16:56:05
multi
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:59:25 GMT, Carbon <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net >
wrote:
>I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
>Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
>could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
>happen with lots of room to spare.
>
>I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

I think you should get odds. It's pretty hard to win a major, even
without considering things like illness or injury. You're right that
at his current rate, Tiger is sure to catch Jack, but Arnie had a
pretty good current rate going until 1964, and then never won another,
even though he kept playing well, and winning non-majors, for another
ten years.

You have to be good *and* lucky to win a major. Barring illness or
injury, Tiger will play well enough to win for the next ten or 15
years, but nobody can predict his luck.

05 Apr 2006 23:48:37
R&B

"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net > wrote in message
> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:54:08 GMT, "Brian Foster"
> <brianfoster@houston.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Safe yes. But what will $100 look like by the time it happens. Do you have
>>an inflation clause?
>
> What do you do if he's 50 years old, is tied with Jack and is still
> competing?

The better question is what will Ken Pitts do when Tiger wins his 19th
professional major...and keeps winning beyond that, leaving Jack's mark of
18 in the rear-view mirror.

Historically, most players' careers peak in their 30s. Late 30s at that.

Tiger's best days may still be ahead of him. A scary thought.

Randy

05 Apr 2006 23:50:24
R&B

"tiggerspalebride" <anon@comments.header > wrote in message
> In article <pan.2006.04.05.02.00.32.313320@nospam.verizon.net>
> Carbon <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Until the dopes at Augusta figure out that length isn't everything and
> rough is found in all "other" majors, tigger can own the place. He may
> win 10 jackets there alone.

Someone in one of the recent golf periodicals was quoted as saying that
instead of Tiger-proofing the course, with all the length they've added to
it, all they've done is Fred Funk-proof the course.

Randy

06 Apr 2006 16:08:53
david s-a
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

Heather Whins wrote:

Bravo!!

:-)

06 Apr 2006 10:05:12
Carbon

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:50:24 -0400, "R&B" wrote:

> Someone in one of the recent golf periodicals was quoted as saying that
> instead of Tiger-proofing the course, with all the length they've added
> to it, all they've done is Fred Funk-proof the course.

Which is a shame. I remember Scott Hoch saying after the first lengthening
at Augusta that the MotM wanted good leader boards. That means having
Tiger, Phil, Ernie, etc. He said it was fine, it was their course, but
there was an unmistakable undertone of resentment. I don't think he
thought it was fine. And there may well be something to what he said.

06 Apr 2006 03:27:24
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

"all they've done is Fred Funk-proof the course. "

I agree with this caveat. I think the added length has them hitting the
same irons into greens that they were 20+ years ago. Dr MacKenzie did
not intend for 11 to be a driver-9iron hole and that was what it had
become since most everyone can bomb it 300+ yds now.

Ken

06 Apr 2006 03:31:23
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

"I think you should get odds. It's pretty hard to win a major, even
without considering things like illness or injury. You're right that
at his current rate, Tiger is sure to catch Jack, but Arnie had a
pretty good current rate going until 1964, and then never won another,
even though he kept playing well, and winning non-majors, for another
ten years. "

This is really a historic moment. You and I agree 100% on this. Who
would have expected that the 64 Masters would be the last major for
Palmer? At the time, it didn't occur to me that was happening. I always
thought of him as a serious contender in every event well into the
70's. Not to mention that he was so cool too.

Ken

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

06 Apr 2006 10:57:23
Carbon

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 03:31:23 -0700, kenpittsjr wrote:

> This is really a historic moment. You and I agree 100% on this. Who
> would have expected that the 64 Masters would be the last major for
> Palmer? At the time, it didn't occur to me that was happening. I always
> thought of him as a serious contender in every event well into the 70's.
> Not to mention that he was so cool too.

Arnie was electrifying when he was on. But Tiger can win when he's not on.
That's why he can win spraying it all over the place. He has probably the
best short game on Tour, also he seems to handle the butterflies better.

Tell ya what, Ken. I'll extend my $100 bet to you. Tiger wins 19 or more
professional majors in his career. Care to put your money where your mouth
is?

06 Apr 2006 04:09:14
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

You've got a bet, except when do I get to collect if my side starts
appearing to be true? I wonder what $100 will buy in 20 years. There
may be a mortality factor on this. I'm 54. How old are you?

You are misreading me as a lot of people do. I have not denigrated his
results on the course in a long time.

He almost got in a spot from which there is no escape on the 71st hole
of last year's event. One of these times, he is going to have to pay
some dues for all this wild driving. Since he misses right so much,
it's really something that he won the Open Championship at St Andrews
twice. There are so many holes where you are just plain gone if you
miss right.

Ken

06 Apr 2006 11:20:14
Carbon

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 04:09:14 -0700, kenpittsjr wrote:

> You've got a bet, except when do I get to collect if my side starts
> appearing to be true? I wonder what $100 will buy in 20 years. There may
> be a mortality factor on this. I'm 54. How old are you?

41. I'm really not worried about what the $100 will be worth; it's more of
a bragging rights thing, like playing for beer money on the weekend.

FWIW I agree with you about his wildness off the tee. It has cost him in
the past and will continue to cost him as long as he struggles with it.
However he's so dominant WRT scoring that he often gets away with it. If
he does rediscover some control I think he'll start winning by large
margins again.

I agree that he nearly blew last year's Masters. But he didn't. Like so
many other times, he found a way to win. And now he has 10. 9 more to go
and the moolah is all mine!

06 Apr 2006 07:32:16
Howard Brazee
Re: Will Tiger win more than 18 majors?

On 5 Apr 2006 20:35:26 -0000, tiggerspalebride <anon@comments.header >
wrote:

>In article <fj2832d936jclogmu911tkjlaq02cnijmm@4ax.com>
>Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net> wrote:
>
>and Hootie's the deafest one of all.

Hootie Johnson defends Masters changes:

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/2006/The_Masters/preview_12.html

06 Apr 2006 06:44:04
Simon

Carbon wrote:

> I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
> Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
> could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
> happen with lots of room to spare.
>
> I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

One guy at our club has put a bet on that Tiger WON'T make 18 by the
time he's 40. The odds were evens, which I think sounds about right.

He's obviously confident - he put on =A310,000 :-0

08 Apr 2006 18:09:36
Douglas Siebert

Carbon <nobrac@nospam.verizon.net > writes:

>I have this $100 bet with a friend of mine that Tiger will win more than
>Jack's record of 18 professional majors. It's not a sure thing. There
>could be injuries, death, whatever. But at his current rate it's going to
>happen with lots of room to spare.

>I think it's a safe bet. What do you think?

I think you have the better end of the bet no matter what since you (or your
friend) will probably be dead before you have to pay out. If Tiger has 16
majors by age 40, you can argue that he might still win a few more, after
all Nicklaus and Floyd did. Even at age 58 Nicklaus was perhaps a couple
putts dropping in the final round (on 9 especially) to giving him the drive
to make a charge and win the Masters in 1998. So if you decide you won't
pay out until Tiger is in his 60s, just to be sure, how old will you and
your friend be at that time? How much will $100 be worth then?

--
Douglas Siebert dsiebert@excisethis.khamsin.net

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.