12 Feb 2004 23:31:49
Douglas Landau
back muscles locked?

John Mulholland wrote:

>Also, many coaches recommend that after about 30 minutes on the C2 athletes
>should get off, and stretch and mobilise their backs. In a boat, or on a
>RowPerfect, the seat is unstable and the stabilising muscles in the lower
>back are constantly correcting for these slight movements. On a C2 the seat
>is absolutely stable and the lower back can lock up after prolonged use.

Can anyone expand on this? I did 20K on the C2 yesterday, and 5K easy
this morning during which my back started to hurt. Now I am walking
around with my ass stuck out in back and my belly stuck out in front,
as if lower back muscles have a death grip on my pelvis.

Lower back muscles locked up? Or protecting a herniated disc?

thanks,
Doug

14 Feb 2004 00:08:28
John Mulholland
Re: back muscles locked?

It sounds as if your pelvis has rocked forward somewhat. On the C2 you
worked and tightened your quads, pulling down the front of your pelvis, and
kept your back muscles firm, pulling up the back of your pelvis up. I think
a good selection of stretches after the C2 might have prevented the duck
imitation. But don't we all want to shower and drink beer after a long
session on the C2!

John Mulholland
Hexham Rowing Club