27 May 2006 18:34:34
pamela sedor
erg scores

Greetings rowers and paddlers (but mostly paddlers in a dragon boat!)

If you are on a competitive team maybe you can answer this question
about erg scores.
I know it is a valuable tool for a coach to erg test the paddlers. But
I wonder what most women get...let's say a 130-135 lb woman...please
respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
do you do compared to your teammates?

Thanks,

Pamela Sedor

28 May 2006 03:58:27
James Elder
Re: erg scores

pamela sedor wrote:
. But
> I wonder what most women get...let's say a 130-135 lb woman...please
> respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
> do you do compared to your teammates?

If my conversion to metric is correct, 130-135 lbs is around 59-61kg.
As such it is close to the 'winter' lightweight measure used in indoor
rowing championships. So, you can get lots of data by looking at
results from erg champs.

eg Open Lightweight Women at the 2005 British Indoor Rowing
Championships:

http://www.concept2.co.uk/birc/results_detail_2005.php?event=D1

28 May 2006 13:27:55
Christopher Kerr
Re: erg scores

I'm not sure if the competitors at Erg Champs provide a representative
sample...

James Elder wrote:

> pamela sedor wrote:
> . But
>> I wonder what most women get...let's say a 130-135 lb woman...please
>> respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
>> do you do compared to your teammates?
>
> If my conversion to metric is correct, 130-135 lbs is around 59-61kg.
> As such it is close to the 'winter' lightweight measure used in indoor
> rowing championships. So, you can get lots of data by looking at
> results from erg champs.
>
> eg Open Lightweight Women at the 2005 British Indoor Rowing
> Championships:
>
> http://www.concept2.co.uk/birc/results_detail_2005.php?event=D1

28 May 2006 20:22:30
Henry Law
Re: erg scores

pamela sedor wrote:
> respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
> do you do compared to your teammates?

Pamela, best to go to the Concept 2 site, go to "online rankings" and do
some searching. You'll find plenty of numbers there, which will either
encourage or depress you according to choice. For my part I'm pleased
always to be able to find someone who's slower than me ...

Just remember that ergos don't float. For racing success low times are
necessary, but not sufficient.

--

Henry Law < >< Manchester, England

28 May 2006 13:06:05
Sarah
Re: erg scores

> pamela sedor wrote:
> > respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
> > do you do compared to your teammates?

is this a specific dragon boat ergo or a standard concept 2 rowing
ergo? there is a huge difference!!

as I know someone who used to be a rower but who is now a dragon
boater, I have a little bit of knowledge on this! DB requires very
different muscles to rowing, so someone who is great on the DB ergo may
not produce a good score on the rowing one and vice versa.

Also because the custom DB ergos I've seen have a piece of software
similar to (?same as) the row perfect software, it allows you to set it
up to your boat type and weight before hand, so it can adjust the
scores before it outputs it.

he says he can do a correctly weight adjusted DB ergo of 500m flat out,
of around 2:05 and on a concept 2 rowing ergo the same 500m once took
around 1:24

the weight adjustment does mean that if you are a heavyweight man and
you sit on the machine that has been adjusted for a lightweight woman,
you get a great score!

so if your coach is testing you on rowing ergos, I'd suggest that your
club invests in a DB ergo, because testing you on a rowing ergo will
find out whether you'd be strong rowers, not strong paddlers...

hope this helps?

Sarah

28 May 2006 18:21:16
Stamps
Re: erg scores

pamela sedor wrote:
> > > respond if you are around that weight. What is your score and how well
> > > do you do compared to your teammates?

I have seen plenty of dragonboaters on the ergo in the Hong Kong indoor
champs, in fact the women's record was broken by a dragonboater this
year, with a rower from my club less than a second behind and also
inside the old record, ouch! Some of the more serious dragonboats here
use it as a fitness test, with or without the dragonboat adapter.

For a normal rowing set-up, and given the women's scores I have seen,
very few get under 8 minutes. Some of them do train hard, but it is
just a very different discipline. But 8 mins is a good benchmark for
that weight anyway - a good rower would be well under that, but for a
non-rower that would be a pretty good score I reckon.

Mark