30 Aug 2004 11:44:38
Historical
Historical Query

I recall that when I was young, many years ago now, it was the
responsibility of a winger to throw the ball in at a lineout.

When did this change and what are the advantages ?

30 Aug 2004 23:41:52
Apteryx
Re: Historical Query

"Historical" <Historical@cutdespamplease.co.uk > wrote in message
> I recall that when I was young, many years ago now, it was the
> responsibility of a winger to throw the ball in at a lineout.
>
> When did this change and what are the advantages ?

I think the change came somewhere in the 70's. Teams realised they
could use an extra winger in the backline. Hookers, OTOH were too slow
for that, too short to jump, and were in fact the most useless players
in the team come line-out time. So they figured they might as well
throw the ball in.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

30 Aug 2004 22:00:42
Alan Luchetti
Re: Historical Query

"Apteryx" <a.mutch@deletethistoreply.xtra.co.nz > wrote in message
> "Historical" <Historical@cutdespamplease.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I recall that when I was young, many years ago now, it was the
>> responsibility of a winger to throw the ball in at a lineout.
>>
>> When did this change and what are the advantages ?
>
> I think the change came somewhere in the 70's. Teams realised they
> could use an extra winger in the backline. Hookers, OTOH were too slow
> for that, too short to jump, and were in fact the most useless players
> in the team come line-out time. So they figured they might as well
> throw the ball in.

Helpful when backs and forwards train separately too.

Only problem - when they're throwing in, hookers can still be the most
useless players in the team come line-out time.

30 Aug 2004 13:01:56
Greig Blanchett
Re: Historical Query

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:41:52 +1200, "Apteryx"
<a.mutch@deletethistoreply.xtra.co.nz > wrote:

>"Historical" <Historical@cutdespamplease.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I recall that when I was young, many years ago now, it was the
>> responsibility of a winger to throw the ball in at a lineout.
>>
>> When did this change and what are the advantages ?
>
>I think the change came somewhere in the 70's. Teams realised they
>could use an extra winger in the backline. Hookers, OTOH were too slow
>for that, too short to jump, and were in fact the most useless players
>in the team come line-out time. So they figured they might as well
>throw the ball in.

And how many times has the extra winger in the back line worked as a
direct result of a throw in? Remember, this would be the blind side
wing, not the open side. I've seen too many good hookers run out of
the game because they couldn't throw straight. Give the throw in back
to the winger - it would give them something else to practice besides
silly salutes, show boating dives and daft haircuts.

--
greig

30 Aug 2004 18:20:34
Mike
Re: Historical Query

Greig Blanchett wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:41:52 +1200, "Apteryx"
> <a.mutch@deletethistoreply.xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>"Historical" <Historical@cutdespamplease.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recall that when I was young, many years ago now, it was the
>>>responsibility of a winger to throw the ball in at a lineout.
>>>
>>>When did this change and what are the advantages ?
>>
>>I think the change came somewhere in the 70's. Teams realised they
>>could use an extra winger in the backline. Hookers, OTOH were too slow
>>for that, too short to jump, and were in fact the most useless players
>>in the team come line-out time. So they figured they might as well
>>throw the ball in.
>

> And how many times has the extra winger in the back line worked as a
> direct result of a throw in? Remember, this would be the blind side
> wing, not the open side. I've seen too many good hookers run out of
> the game because they couldn't throw straight. Give the throw in back
> to the winger - it would give them something else to practice besides
> silly salutes, show boating dives and daft haircuts.

As long as they can throw straight, follow the calls and not 'lose it'
at the very worst time, it doesn't matter who throws in. The throw in
being taken by the hooker has become too entrenched, for coaches etc to
change easily.
The last time I saw the throw taken in an international by someone other
than a hooker was when france's scrum half took it regularly for a
season or two. I can't remember who he was but the explanation was the
french front row consisted of three props, an attempt to counteract the
forward power of Richards, dooley, moore etc. I seem to remember the
'third prop' stood in at scrum half until the real no.9 regained his
field position. It wasn't very sucessful I seem to remember, accuracy
wasn't the problem the ball was too slow coming back.
I dare say there has been the odd occasion when another player has been
forced to throw into the lineout due to injury or such but the french
were the only team I remember doing it by choice.

Mike

30 Aug 2004 20:35:40
Greig Blanchett
Re: Historical Query

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:20:34 GMT, Mike
<xyfas.home@KNICKERSntlworld.com > wrote:

[...]
>As long as they can throw straight, follow the calls and not 'lose it'
>at the very worst time, it doesn't matter who throws in. The throw in
>being taken by the hooker has become too entrenched, for coaches etc to
>change easily.
>The last time I saw the throw taken in an international by someone other
>than a hooker was when france's scrum half took it regularly for a
>season or two. I can't remember who he was but the explanation was the
>french front row consisted of three props, an attempt to counteract the
>forward power of Richards, dooley, moore etc. I seem to remember the
>'third prop' stood in at scrum half until the real no.9 regained his
>field position. It wasn't very sucessful I seem to remember, accuracy
>wasn't the problem the ball was too slow coming back.
>I dare say there has been the odd occasion when another player has been
>forced to throw into the lineout due to injury or such but the french
>were the only team I remember doing it by choice.
>
>Mike

Of all people, they chose the half back? How French. Who did the
catchers tap the ball to?

--
greig

31 Aug 2004 19:03:30