17 Aug 2004 17:43:35
Skater and Fan
Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back!

17 Aug 2004 21:02:24
jsline@nospam.useless.net
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

1. Since 1984; working on USFSA Silver and Pre-Gold Dances

2. Klingbeil. Am on 3rd pair, getting ready to order my 4th pair

3. See above.

4. Easy to break in yet not too soft on the sides. Also, that I can have
virtually any customization done during manufacture for one flat price...no
nickel and dime-ing for extras like dance scallops or special tongue designs
or higher heels or whatever.

"Skater and Fan" <luviceskating@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)?

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?
>
> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?
>
> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?
>
> Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back!

17 Aug 2004 19:09:59
Ellen Arnold
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how

in article 484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com, Skater and Fan
at luviceskating@hotmail.com wrote on 8/17/04 6:43 PM:

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
> compare)?

I'm an adult pre-bronze (both moves and FS) skater who's been skating for
about four years, this time around, anyway ;-).

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Currently wearing Harlick High Testers, which I love even though they're too
much boot for me (see below).

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

I love my Harlicks. I have a long narrow foot (8 1/2 AAA shoe size) and they
suit me much better than the Riedells I previously wore. I recently visited
the Harlick factory and was fitted for a pair of custom boots. In addition
to accomodating the various odd protuberances on top of my toes, the
calluses on the balls of my feet, etc., they will differ from my High
Testers in the following ways: (1) duo-bond vs. double duo-bond strength;
(2) two- vs. three-piece construction; (3) heel huggers (tendon and ankle
bone padding); (4) single wedge scallop to facilitate ankle bending; (5)
dance backstay to facilitate toe pointing; (6) lamb's wool and rubber tongue
vs. all-rubber tongue.

Probably the most important difference is that I am moving to a less stiff
boot. Coincidentally, I just attended a workshop with Ann Margrethe Frei and
she believes that most adults skate in boots that are too stiff for what
they are doing. She contends that, unless one is doing double jumps or
above, you should go with a softer boot -- and one with at least a single
scallop and a dance backstay -- which is much better for edges, MITF, dance.
She herself has recently moved "down" to a less stiff boot and is very happy
with it.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

Best: it fits my particular foot, which is long and narrow in the heel.
Worst: concrete-like stiffness; took forever to break in at my particular
level of skating (i.e., wimpy crossovers and half- to single jumps).

Good luck with your decision!

Ellen

18 Aug 2004 01:22:46
W Letendre

Skater and Fan wrote:

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

Been skating, on hockey blades, since I was about 6 yo (better part of
50 years). Just started on figure blades one year ago; haven't starting
testing at all, but, learning basic edges, turns.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Riedell Royals, Coronation Ace blades. Best fitting skating boots I've
ever had. Fit my feet like a glove, awesome ankle support.

Previous skates were Graf 704 hockey skates, IMHO about as good a hockey
skate as anyone makes on Earth. Nice fit, wicked fast, but can't do 3s
for nothin' in those boots, and don't have anything like the balance on
edges...

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

Would certainly consider Royals if & when these need replacement. Should
mention, though, that I got these at discount 'cause my feet are kinda
large; skate shop had this pair sitting on shelf for a while! Might have
baulked at paying full price, since Royals are WAY more boot than a
newbie like me really needs to skate in!

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

Favorite feature is fit. Only complaint is that the black dye on the
soles isn't as fast as I'd like; needs polishing too often, or, else
looks kinda shabby...

W Letendre

18 Aug 2004 04:28:38
ArtekGwenT

Probably I already said everything I could usefully contribute, but here goes:

>How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
>compare)?
Skating casually since little, college ice classes & show (30 yrs ago), then
took lessons seriously first starting just under 1 yr ago. Am now approx Bronze
moves, (but have worked on some silver things), Pre-Bronze freestyle since I
don't jump.

>What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Klingbeils, but all I can realistically compare them to are my 30-yr old Hyde
skates, for your purposes.

>Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

Definitely buy same. But I don't anticipate needing to for a good long while (I
hope).

>What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

Favorite - the ankle padding very good, break-in easy but still have lots of
support, more than enough for my level.
Worst - the tongue does not stay centered. I need to go back & make them put a
hook on it. But it is a comfortable tongue!

Gwen T.

18 Aug 2004 00:27:26
GordonSk8erBoi

luviceskating@hotmail.com (Skater and Fan) wrote in message news:<484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com >...
> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

I've been skating about 15 months.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

I have Jackson Freestyles. I don't really have anything to compare
them to, since they are the first pair I've owned, and I've never
skated in anything else except rental skate (yech!).

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

Probably not. It doesn't seem to have come up, but as far as I can
tell, Jacksons are only offered in one width for men. I've had a
knowledgeable coach tell me that she thought my boots were too wide,
and I think she's probably right. Also my right foot is slightly
smaller than my left foot (not too uncommon, apparently) and so
fitting on the right boot has always been a bit problematic.

For my next pair of boots I'm leaning toward Harlicks, but I really
would need to try on different kinds first before I make that
decision. I don't anticipate buying new boots for at least a year,
though; should have finished my pre-bronze tests by then.
Unfortunately in order to have any kind of choices I am going to have
to travel to Phoenix, at best, or more likely LA.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

My Jacksons have the flex notch, which seems to be a nice feature.

> Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back!

Gordon Zaft
GordonSk8erBoi@yahoo.com
http://sk8rboi.blogspot.com

18 Aug 2004 01:51:28
johns
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)?

All my life .. more than 50 years ... much more. I'm pretty good, but not
in a formal way. I pretty much teach myself by trial and error.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Riedell Goldstars. Affordable, and just as good as the best and
most expensive boots out there. I've compared them to just about
every boot made, and for the most part, they look like they are
made in a more professional manner than say a Harlick. The
sewing is much better. The new model with the flex notch has
probably the best construction on the market. Sizing is
accurate from boot to boot, and if you find a size that fits,
it will always fit you. That is not true at all of the other brands.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

I have owned 3 pairs of Riedell Goldstars.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

In the new model .. quality of construction is really nice. I wish the
upper was a little higher at the ankle .. about an inch higher. I think
the boot should be a little firmer above the ankle. I liked that in the
older model.

johns

18 Aug 2004 09:11:32
Doris Penndorf
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)?

Adult pre-bronze/bronze - 11 years (not testing/competing)

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Harlick custom, dance scallop, fit and break-in period just great. During
the break-in I never tied the top hook and never did even after break-in. I
tried it once and hated the feeling, so I continue to tie only to the second
hook. I also like the lower profile. No trouble pointing toe at all. I
have a narrow heel - that is why I always go back to Sacony cross-trainer
everyday shoes.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

Absolutely! Have had 2 pairs over the years. First pair was Klingbeils and
was put into a boot much too stiff for a beginner. Even had them rebuilt
with multiple problems. Change to Harlick was like putting on comfy
slippers. It is all in the fitter and taking the time to really listen to
you and you being very honest with what type of skating you are doing.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

The dance scallop for ease of bending (recommended by Judy Blumberg at a
Lake Placid AN many years ago.) Worst is that I had the right boot made to
accomodate an orthotic (sent the orthotic to them) and since then have
changed orthotic. Right boot eventually feels loose in the heel with
slippage. Also have ridges in my 5th fingers from force needed to tie boot
up snuggly enough. A month ago a dance skater recommended a Bunga heel
pad - expensive, but it solved the problem immediately!! Next pair I will
have done without the orthotic. The orthotic I use now is so thin that I
think a new regular boot with accomodate it just fine.

While I like Harlicks for me, many people praise their own type of boot -
best to try on different companies and different stock boots. Certainly not
everyone needs, or can afford, custom boots. It all boils down to what you
find comfortable and that you have a good and honest fitter. ALL boots
need to be checked for defects! And proper mounting of your blades is
essential (my first pair, the blades were mounted wrong and I struggled for
almost 2 years not knowing it!) I also agree that adults don't need the
really stiff boots, unless you are doing triple jumps. And even then, think
about the history of boot construction - skaters decades ago used much
softer boots (and still do in Europe), have much better ankle strength as a
result, and I personally feel less injuries as a result, IMHO.

18 Aug 2004 12:28:48
William Schneider
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

Good poll. This could be useful!

<<How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)? >>

I pond-skated as a teenager, but started skating again 4 years ago at age
50 - this time in a real rink taking lessons. I've passed APB moves, and
will be ready to test AB moves in a few months (I hope!).

<<What boots do you wear why do you like them or not? >>

Currently in 2-year old Riedell Gold Stars that now fit like a glove.
Coronation Ace blades. Initial break-in was exceedingly painful, but was
much better after punching out the toe box and ankle-bone areas. Still, I
needed Bunga pads for the first month.
Previous boots were Riedell Bronze Stars (1999-2000 design), much easier to
break-in, but didn't last. I have 3-year old Bronze stars also for my PIC
skates, and they too are broken-down with wrap-around creases at the ankle.
I tried a wide-width for that pair of Bronze Stars and they were the
absolute easiest skate to break-in, but they ended up being a bit TOO wide
for my foot. The Gold Star, while being the stiffest to break-in, ended up
lasting longer and fitting better. I have to attribute the decision to get
the Gold Stars in a normal-width configuration to a good boot-fitter at the
Ohio State University rink - an older fellow named Duke. (Thanks, Duke!).

I guess the best thing about the boots is that I don't think about them.
They get out of the way and just become an extension of my feet.

<<Would you buy the same brand again? Or another? >>

When I shopped for new boots the last time, I asked the fitter about Graf
boots. He said that they are light, but I would probably like the Riedell
Gold Stars just as much for less cost. He was right. I love them and would
buy them again in a heartbeat. The newer models have some changes
(flex-notch, rolled-top collar), and I might even consider the lighter
Riedell 1500. I'll ask Duke when I am in the market for new boots.

<<What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst? >>

I like the comfort and the longevity of the Riedell Gold Stars, although I
had to have the stitching around the eyelets redone by a local shoe repair
shop this summer. Laces frayed the stitching and it allowing the leather
layers to delaminate into the eyelet area. The repair cost $4.

Bill Schneider

18 Aug 2004 07:56:34
skaternum
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

luviceskating@hotmail.com (Skater and Fan) wrote in message news:<484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com >...
> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

I've been skating for almost 9 years. I skate adult Silver.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Klingbeil customs. I LOVE them! Although many manufacturers make
custom boots, only Klingbeil makes a custom last for the boot from a
foam mold of MY foot.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

Absolutely -- more Klingbeils for me. I have extremely narrow heels,
but wide balls of my feet. I've worn Riedells and several models of
Jacksons. I've tried on SP Teris, as well. Only the Teris fit that
shape foot, but the foot bed and last were so uncomfortable.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

Favorite: that I could skate (really skate) in them within 1 hour of
putting them on. Worst: I could probably use a slightly stiffer boot
for my level, but they'll strengthen them if for free if I ask.

> Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back!

This is a tough decision for you, I know. Most people just have to go
through trial and error to find the right boot for their feet. Sure,
you can come up with generalities (Riedells are notoriously narrow in
the toe box; Jacksons are wide all over; etc.) but it all comes down
to making a few really expensive mistakes. :-) Then you'll know.

18 Aug 2004 12:43:54
Johanna Ehrmann
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

In article <484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com >, Skater
and Fan <luviceskating@hotmail.com > wrote:

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
> compare)?

Lessons for 3 years, skated about 1 1/2 years before that. Passed
pre-bronze moves and free in June.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Riedell Silver Stars. I like them. They fit well from the beginning,
and as someone else said, I don't really notice that they're there most
of the time.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?
I would. They are my second pair of Riedells, though I much prefer them
to the first (which were Riedell 220s I think). These have the dance
scallop, the rolled top, and I got them in a split width, so they fit
quite well. I've had them for a little over a year and they are holding
up well.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?
Maybe the heat-molding. There was basically no break-in time. The only
thing I notice on the down side is that on some jumps, my feet move
within my boots a bit. I think when I'm careful putting the boots
on--getting my heel all the way back, and lacing well--this is
minimized.

Johanna

18 Aug 2004 18:19:45
e-skater
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

luviceskating@hotmail.com (Skater and Fan) wrote in message news:<484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com >...
> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

I am 52. I've been skating six years this May. I'm working on USFSA
Adult Bronze MITF and some Adult Bronze freestyle elements now. I've
tested only up to ISI FS2, as am not as interested in pursuing ISI.
I've tested USFSA Adult Pre Bronze, Preliminary Ice Dance tests.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

I have a very narrow foot, a quad-A heel and double-A rest of foot. I
did some research and came up with Harlick. I talked to many people at
the rink, and my coach. Supposedly, Harlick starts with a narrower
last. I started out in Riedell silver something....I can't remember.
It was horrible for my foot. Fit just like a cardboard box. Next, I
got Harlick High Testers, which, even with a "custom" footbed, were
too wide and caused me various ankle tendon and achilles problems. I
switched to customs in 2003 and they are worth every penny. In light
of previous tendon problems, my age and lower level skating, I got a
slightly softer and lighter boot than the High Tester. For me, this
has turned out to be the right choice.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

At this point, I would still buy Harlick. I'm interested though in
hearing from people who've skated reguarly in the new hinged boots.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

I like the orthotics, how well the heel fits me, and the lighter and
softer boot. All these factors made a difference in my actually
feeling the blade and ice. I had never had that feeling before. My
heel always came up, pretty much on all my skating.

> Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back!

19 Aug 2004 01:54:29
Fiona McQuarrie
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

Skater and Fan <luviceskating@hotmail.com > wrote:
: How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me compare)?

10 years as an adult, off and on. Pre-prelim freeskater, working on jr.
bronze dances.

: What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Risport Super Cristallo. This is the second pair I have had. The first
time I bought them it was basically because none of the other bootmakers
made
boots big enough for my feet (US/Cdn ladies' size 11). But the second time
I had more choice and still chose them because they fit really well and
broke in quite easily.

: Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?
Having said that, now that there is more choice, I might consider trying
another brand. I've been told that the Jackson heat-molded boots are
really good for larger feet.

: What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

That they break in really nicely and are comfortable. The downside is the
heel height, which is quite a bit more than other boots (1 1/2"). For some
reason the Risport makers decided between my first and second pairs to add
1/4" to the heel, and I had a really hard time adjusting to the second
pair in terms of balance etc. I might consider getting boots with a lower
heel next time to see if it helps my stability any.

Fiona

18 Aug 2004 19:58:06
Skater and Fan

skaternum@nc.rr.com (skaternum) wrote in message news:<ff47977a.0408180656.6d315943@posting.google.com >...
> luviceskating@hotmail.com (Skater and Fan) wrote in message news:<484770b0.0408171643.546ee5d3@posting.google.com>...

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm not sure if I have answers or am
more confused! I learned some things and then think I as everyone
keeps saying, it must take trial and error. I just don't want to
spend $$$$ to learn that. I don't want to travel the country to try
everything out there. I've rule out three, so I think it logically
leaves me with three to consider.

It amazes me how much everyone knows. I've only been skating for 6
years (never skated before that). I don't compete nor do I test. I
began at age 32. It's true what some are saying. I started in a low
skate, Jacksons a perfect first skate, but I quickly broke them down.
Then up to Ridells, they lasted longer but I broke down too rather
quickly, which is what brought me to the SP Teris, not broken down,
not even close after nearly 4 years. But I do need the stiffness of
this level boot. I just need anymore injuries or foot deformaties! I
haven't a clue what level I am. I skate for the pure challenge and I
love it. I am on doubles, loop and flip (...out of order, I know, but
hey, I'm an adult I learn the way I learn, only just started the axel,
bad experience with a not so hot coach in the beginning, so I've just
rebuilt my courage with my new coach. I think they are going really
well. Not making common beginner mistakes, but I attribute that to
the order I learned my jumps, skipping the axel entirely, and only now
after some doubles coming back to try to land it.

You guys are great. Many thanks!

20 Aug 2004 11:56:16
Jeanne
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

<< How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)? >>

Been a pond skater since 1969, started with private lessons Sept. 1997.
Pre-juv MITF focus presently.

<< What boots do you wear why do you like them or not? >>

I wear light blue custom Klingbeils - they weigh more than me but other than
that, I like them.

<< Would you buy the same brand again? Or another? >>

Another, unless Klingbeil develops a lighter weight boot.

<< What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst? >>

The color is the best, the heaviness is the worst.

<< Thanks again. I'm getting some good feed back! >>

You're welcome!

Jeanne

20 Aug 2004 14:05:00
John F
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

"Skater and Fan" <luviceskating@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
compare)?

10 years, working all doubles and occasional triples

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

SPTeri super teri deluxe. My second pair now, very happy with them

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

I would take a lot of persuading to try anything else. I'm looking to buy
the third pair as soon as I get the cash together.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

The fit is just right for my feet and they give me all the support I need
for my jumping. The only problem I have had is that with this pair I have
popped quite a few hooks (three I think). I have been told that this is
because there was an unnoticed fault with the hook machine at the factory at
the time mine were made. Anyhow they have been fixed free of charge each
time a hook has gone. I didn't have this problem with my previous pair.

John

20 Aug 2004 14:05:22
Mike Jones
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

"Skater and Fan" <luviceskating@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
> compare)?

Nearly four years since first stepping on to the ice (well, that's not
stricktly true, I tried once when I was 18 and had such a bad time that
it was 20 years before I went back, and that took a lot of persuading.
Now it takes a lot of persuading to get me off the ice ....). I have
been taking private lessons for about six months and am working on the
14 Step but haven't tested in anything.

> What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

Belati Gold. I have had them for about two months and am really pleased
with them. They did give me some pain the first few times I wore them,
until my feet got used to them and I learned how to lace them, but much
less than I expected. I was lucky enough to visit a fitter where I could
try on boots from six or seven different manufacturers so I could choose
the ones which fit my feet best. I think that is why I had such an easy
time breaking them in.

> Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

I would, except that my boots were some older stock and I am told that
the newer models are not up to the same quality. I would definately look
at them first though.

> What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your
> worst?

They fit my feet perfectly and provide all the support I need. The only
feature I don't like is that the hooks are too small which makes lacing
the boot quite fiddly.

Mike

20 Aug 2004 16:43:49
GonnaSkate
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

>From: luviceskating@hotmail.com (Skater and Fan)

>How long have you been skating and approximately your level (helps me
>compare)?

I've been skating for about 18 months and I'm still working on the courage to
do backwards crossovers. I probably started a long way behind absolute beginner
because I'd had some pretty serious health problem in the few years before I
started skating and could barely stand up off the ice the first time I went to
the rink. I'm also enormous, though steadily shrinking since I started skating.

Forwards now I'm okay with my crossovers and stroking and just recently my
edges are getting a lot bigger and deeper and faster and even I can tell the
difference. I'm doing a pretty decent lunge. I jokingly started working on a
waltz jump the other day, probably as a way of avoiding backwards stroking and
found it way, way, way easier than I thought (as in not scary) but I don't
actually leave the ice and I do hold on to the wall. It would make a good
comedy routine.

I have a feeling that as soon as I get a grip on the first few backwards things
I'll have a Quantum leap improvement. Probably just a dream.

>What boots do you wear why do you like them or not?

I am currently wearing Reidell 220s (Silver Medallions). I like them because
they are a 2 ply boot which means they are not nearly as stiff, squeezy or
heavy as the higher models. I'm glad I listened to the advice of the people at
the pro shop and didn't buy too much boot for myself. They seem to be holding
up well, too. Even though I skate a lot of hours I don't put that much stress
on them. I wear thermal boot covers and I don't seem to get the soles wet so
the boots look pretty new even though they are getting good creases in the
ankle and have lots of stroking hours on them.

>Would you buy the same brand again? Or another?

I'm not sure. I really like the construction of the Reidell 350s because they
have smooth interior leather, great ankle padding, great tongue padding, and a
nifty roll around the top of the boot in the back. But I think these are still
WAY too much boot for me. They are designed for lots of jumping and clearly I'm
not going to be doing that very soon.

I'd like to try something more than the 220s though. But honestly I'll probably
be getting new BLADES before I get new boots.

I might go for something custom so that I can get softer sides, a lower back,
smooth interior leather, a bit of arch support and good ankle and tongue
padding. I also have pretty wide feet. I'm a traditionalist, though, so I'll
probably get the boring white exterior leather.

>What's your favorite feature of the boot and if you had to, your worst?

My favorite features were the customer service and the price. The boots only
cost me $200 US, which is about the same as renting skates about 80 times. And
the pro shop didn't make me pay for them until they knew I was satisfied even
though they had to be special ordered for me. Then they stretched them until
they fit me rather comfortably at no charge. The boots also came with blades so
I didn't have to think about that at all. This was all good since I ordered the
boots the very first time I went skating and all I knew about what I wanted was
that I didn't want to ever have to put my feet into the rental skates again.

The worst features, now that I am starting to want more from my equipment, are
a) the quality of the blade and b) the height of the boot. I'd like a blade
with a bit more rocker I think. I am worried that I'm in for a rude awakening
when I switch to MK Pros or whatever because the picks will be bigger and there
will be more rocker and I'll both be alternately tripping forward and falling
backward. But I also think that working with a better blade will make me more
conscious of what my feet are doing and how to make them do something
different.

About the boot height: I have rather small bones and that means my ankles are
relatively low to the ground (my feet aren't flat and I don't pronate inwards,
I've just got small ankles). I find the boot to be overly high up the leg and
this prevents me from being able to point my toes as much as I'd like. Coach is
always telling me to point them more, but if I pushed with any more strength
I'd burst the boot or crush my bones. I showed her how my foot was all the way
off the bottom of the boot when I pointed, but it didn't change the angle of
the boot at all that we could see. And don't worry, after pointing the heal
pops right back into its little pocket and I don't experience any rubbing.

I'm thinking of getting custom boots that are cut down lower in the back. I
asked on rssir before and people said I probably won't loose any lateral
support if I do this. I don't feel I need very much lateral support because my
ankles are pretty strong, but I'm not leaning into my edges much, either. I'm
certainly not jumping.

I'm supposed to go to a boot/blade expert for advice (she does Sasha Cohen's
skates). She isn't very convenient, though, in a suburb northeast of the city
and I live in one southwest. And the one time I called her to set up an
appointment she never called me back. Coach was kidding me, "It isn't like you
have to go to another state or anything," which was funny because the town she
lives in is as close to another state as one can get without actually crossing
the border. It would be closer if she DID live in the next state. I also feel a
little silly wasting the expert's time since I'm such a low level, low ambition
skater. But I suppose my money is just as green as Sasha Cohen's.

I'm very, very curious to see what better equipment could do for me. Even if
all she advises is changing the way I sharpen the current blades (she
recommends different grinds depending on your height and weight). I'll report
back if and when I ever go to this expert.

Gonna Skate

29 Aug 2004 17:11:47
Skater and Fan
Re: Okay, I'll narrow it down, maybe that would help me too...how about a little POLL?

> SPTeri super teri deluxe. My second pair now, very happy with them
>
> The fit is just right for my feet and they give me all the support I need
> for my jumping. The only problem I have had is that with this pair I have
> popped quite a few hooks (three I think). I have been told that this is
> because there was an unnoticed fault with the hook machine at the factory at
> the time mine were made. Anyhow they have been fixed free of charge each
> time a hook has gone. I didn't have this problem with my previous pair.
>
> John

I had the exact same boots, and I popped hooks too! Who knew?

Thanks to all who posted. I went with custom Harlicks it would seem I
have a wide foot (I didn't know that) and an extremely narrow heal
AAAA (I certainly didn't know that)!

My fitter felt Harlick did the best job by far with their customs
boots vs. Klingbeil or SP Teri's. Based on that and the overall
opinion of others offere, I went with the Harlicks (Finalist). He
also said due to the very large heels spurs I know have, I might never
get a perfect fit, but it will be closest I'll ever get, but that if I
stood any chance of a custom boot getting it right (he does customs
for Kings, SP, Ridells, Harlicks) it would be Harlicks. So seven
weeks roughly, we'll see. Wish me luck, thanks everyone!