14 May 2007 13:01:28
UC
My shoulder injury

MRI RT SHOULDER: PAIN
History:
IMAGES 114

NO COMPARISONS

MRI RIGHT SHOULDER: 08/31/2006 COMPARISON: None

HISTORY: History of sports related injury to the right shoulder in
spring of 2006. Continued right shoulder pain.

TECHNIQUE: T1 and STIR axial, T1, T2 TSE, and T2 TSE
fat-saturation cornal, and T2 TSE sagittal images of the shoulder were
acquired without gadolinium.

FINDINGS:
ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT: There is mild degenerative change at the
acromioclavicular joint with moderate hypertrophy of the distal
clavicle. There is effacement of the subacromial/subdeltoid fat. There
is a type II acromion.

ROTATOR CUFF: There is a partial undersurface tear of the
supraspinatus tendon just distal to the myotendinous junction. The
under surface tear measures approximately 1.2 cm long and 1.4 cm wide.
There is a partial undersurface tear of the supraspinatus tendon
anteriorly at its insertion with thinning of the tendon. There is
fraying of the under surface of the infraspinatus tendon anteriorly
with probable partial undersurface tear. There is a partial
undersurface tear of the infraspinatus tendon at its posterior
insertion. The subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact.

GLENOID LABRUM: There is a tear of the superior labrum that extends
anterior and posterior in relation to the biceps anchor. There is a
tear of the anterior labrum that extends superiorly to be inferiorly.
There is apparent hypertrophy of the anterior-inferior labrum with
intermediate signal intensity compatible with fibrous scar formation.
There is a fluid intensity cystic mass deep to the hypertrophied and
there labrum which may or may not be within the glenoid.

LIGAMENTS There is a thickening and irregularity of the superior
glenohumeral ligament compatible with prior tear or sprain.

BONE: There is mild subchondral edema along the greater tuberosity at
the insertion of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. There is
irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
infraspinatus tendon.
CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.

MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
findings are seen in the axillary pouch.

IMPRESSION:
1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
tendons as detailed above.
2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
inferiorly.
3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
4. Joint effusion with synovitis.

14 May 2007 13:33:47
wkhedr
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 14, 4:01 pm, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> MRI RT SHOULDER: PAIN
> History:
> IMAGES 114
>
> NO COMPARISONS
>
> MRI RIGHT SHOULDER: 08/31/2006 COMPARISON: None
>
> HISTORY: History of sports related injury to the right shoulder in
> spring of 2006. Continued right shoulder pain.
>
> TECHNIQUE: T1 and STIR axial, T1, T2 TSE, and T2 TSE
> fat-saturation cornal, and T2 TSE sagittal images of the shoulder were
> acquired without gadolinium.
>
> FINDINGS:
> ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT: There is mild degenerative change at the
> acromioclavicular joint with moderate hypertrophy of the distal
> clavicle. There is effacement of the subacromial/subdeltoid fat. There
> is a type II acromion.
>
> ROTATOR CUFF: There is a partial undersurface tear of the
> supraspinatus tendon just distal to the myotendinous junction. The
> under surface tear measures approximately 1.2 cm long and 1.4 cm wide.
> There is a partial undersurface tear of the supraspinatus tendon
> anteriorly at its insertion with thinning of the tendon. There is
> fraying of the under surface of the infraspinatus tendon anteriorly
> with probable partial undersurface tear. There is a partial
> undersurface tear of the infraspinatus tendon at its posterior
> insertion. The subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact.
>
> GLENOID LABRUM: There is a tear of the superior labrum that extends
> anterior and posterior in relation to the biceps anchor. There is a
> tear of the anterior labrum that extends superiorly to be inferiorly.
> There is apparent hypertrophy of the anterior-inferior labrum with
> intermediate signal intensity compatible with fibrous scar formation.
> There is a fluid intensity cystic mass deep to the hypertrophied and
> there labrum which may or may not be within the glenoid.
>
> LIGAMENTS There is a thickening and irregularity of the superior
> glenohumeral ligament compatible with prior tear or sprain.
>
> BONE: There is mild subchondral edema along the greater tuberosity at
> the insertion of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. There is
> irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
> posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
> infraspinatus tendon.
> CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> IMPRESSION:
> 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> tendons as detailed above.
> 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> inferiorly.
> 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.

My shoulder hurts now!!
I hope your injury is not very serious and recover soon!

14 May 2007 13:35:49
Re: My shoulder injury

On 14 May, 21:01, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> MRI RT SHOULDER: PAIN
> History:
> IMAGES 114
>
> NO COMPARISONS
>
> MRI RIGHT SHOULDER: 08/31/2006 COMPARISON: None
>
> HISTORY: History of sports related injury to the right shoulder in
> spring of 2006. Continued right shoulder pain.
>
> TECHNIQUE: T1 and STIR axial, T1, T2 TSE, and T2 TSE
> fat-saturation cornal, and T2 TSE sagittal images of the shoulder were
> acquired without gadolinium.
>
> FINDINGS:
> ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT: There is mild degenerative change at the
> acromioclavicular joint with moderate hypertrophy of the distal
> clavicle. There is effacement of the subacromial/subdeltoid fat. There
> is a type II acromion.
>
> ROTATOR CUFF: There is a partial undersurface tear of the
> supraspinatus tendon just distal to the myotendinous junction. The
> under surface tear measures approximately 1.2 cm long and 1.4 cm wide.
> There is a partial undersurface tear of the supraspinatus tendon
> anteriorly at its insertion with thinning of the tendon. There is
> fraying of the under surface of the infraspinatus tendon anteriorly
> with probable partial undersurface tear. There is a partial
> undersurface tear of the infraspinatus tendon at its posterior
> insertion. The subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact.
>
> GLENOID LABRUM: There is a tear of the superior labrum that extends
> anterior and posterior in relation to the biceps anchor. There is a
> tear of the anterior labrum that extends superiorly to be inferiorly.
> There is apparent hypertrophy of the anterior-inferior labrum with
> intermediate signal intensity compatible with fibrous scar formation.
> There is a fluid intensity cystic mass deep to the hypertrophied and
> there labrum which may or may not be within the glenoid.
>
> LIGAMENTS There is a thickening and irregularity of the superior
> glenohumeral ligament compatible with prior tear or sprain.
>
> BONE: There is mild subchondral edema along the greater tuberosity at
> the insertion of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. There is
> irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
> posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
> infraspinatus tendon.
> CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> IMPRESSION:
> 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> tendons as detailed above.
> 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> inferiorly.
> 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.

Jesus, you're fucked, mate.

Musta been all those slice forehands playing havoc with your
shoulder ...

:-)

14 May 2007 16:43:13
Re: My shoulder injury

Just don't blame your diet, whatever you do.
(like most uniformed people do)

14 May 2007 13:58:59
UC
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 14, 4:33 pm, wkhedr <wkh...@my-deja.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > infraspinatus tendon.
> > CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> > MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> > the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> > of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> > with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> > findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> > IMPRESSION:
> > 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> > tendons as detailed above.
> > 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> > inferiorly.
> > 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> > 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.
>
> My shoulder hurts now!!
> I hope your injury is not very serious and recover soon!

I had surgery last September. This was the MRI report from August. I
need a translation, please!

14 May 2007 14:08:05
undecided
> [...]

> irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
> posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
> infraspinatus tendon.
> CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> IMPRESSION:
> 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> tendons as detailed above.
> 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> inferiorly.
> 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.

Sounds bad. How old are you? How did you injure it? Chronic or trauma?

14 May 2007 14:17:30
wkhedr
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 14, 4:35 pm, gregor...@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > infraspinatus tendon.
> > CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> > MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> > the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> > of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> > with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> > findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> > IMPRESSION:
> > 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> > tendons as detailed above.
> > 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> > inferiorly.
> > 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> > 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.
>
> Jesus, you're fucked, mate.
>
> Musta been all those slice forehands playing havoc with your

Did you serve the ball with the racquet or the racquet served you? :-)
Why would you care now if you had the surgery!!

14 May 2007 18:08:54
Javier Gonzalez
Re: My shoulder injury

allr1@webtv.net wrote:
> Just don't blame your diet, whatever you do.
> (like most uniformed people do)

Is that a known malady of the armed forces then?

14 May 2007 15:15:36
Re: My shoulder injury

On 14 May, 23:08, Javier Gonzalez <jagon...@gmail.dot.com > wrote:
> a...@webtv.net wrote:
> > Just don't blame your diet, whatever you do.
> > (like most uniformed people do)
>
> Is that a known malady of the armed forces then?

lol - it's well-known that soldiers' food is tightly rationed ...

14 May 2007 19:39:30
bob
Re: My shoulder injury

you better retire.

bob

"UC" <uraniumcommittee@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> MRI RT SHOULDER: PAIN
> History:
> IMAGES 114
>
> NO COMPARISONS
>
> MRI RIGHT SHOULDER: 08/31/2006 COMPARISON: None
>
> HISTORY: History of sports related injury to the right shoulder in
> spring of 2006. Continued right shoulder pain.
>
> TECHNIQUE: T1 and STIR axial, T1, T2 TSE, and T2 TSE
> fat-saturation cornal, and T2 TSE sagittal images of the shoulder were
> acquired without gadolinium.
>
> FINDINGS:
> ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT: There is mild degenerative change at the
> acromioclavicular joint with moderate hypertrophy of the distal
> clavicle. There is effacement of the subacromial/subdeltoid fat. There
> is a type II acromion.
>
> ROTATOR CUFF: There is a partial undersurface tear of the
> supraspinatus tendon just distal to the myotendinous junction. The
> under surface tear measures approximately 1.2 cm long and 1.4 cm wide.
> There is a partial undersurface tear of the supraspinatus tendon
> anteriorly at its insertion with thinning of the tendon. There is
> fraying of the under surface of the infraspinatus tendon anteriorly
> with probable partial undersurface tear. There is a partial
> undersurface tear of the infraspinatus tendon at its posterior
> insertion. The subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact.
>
> GLENOID LABRUM: There is a tear of the superior labrum that extends
> anterior and posterior in relation to the biceps anchor. There is a
> tear of the anterior labrum that extends superiorly to be inferiorly.
> There is apparent hypertrophy of the anterior-inferior labrum with
> intermediate signal intensity compatible with fibrous scar formation.
> There is a fluid intensity cystic mass deep to the hypertrophied and
> there labrum which may or may not be within the glenoid.
>
> LIGAMENTS There is a thickening and irregularity of the superior
> glenohumeral ligament compatible with prior tear or sprain.
>
> BONE: There is mild subchondral edema along the greater tuberosity at
> the insertion of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. There is
> irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
> posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
> infraspinatus tendon.
> CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> IMPRESSION:
> 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> tendons as detailed above.
> 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> inferiorly.
> 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.

14 May 2007 17:48:19
UC
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 14, 5:08 pm, undecided <cost...@gmail.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > irregularity of the contour compatible with prior fracture on the
> > posterior aspect of the greater tuberosity at the insertion of the
> > infraspinatus tendon.
> > CARTILAGE: Unremarkable.
>
> > MISC: There is a moderate to large joint effusion. There is fluid in
> > the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> > of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> > with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> > findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> > IMPRESSION:
> > 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> > tendons as detailed above.
> > 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> > inferiorly.
> > 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.

57.

> How did you injure it?

Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball
hitters do.

> Chronic or trauma?

Trauma!

15 May 2007 18:19:26
Whisper
Re: My shoulder injury

UC wrote:
>>> 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
>>> tendons as detailed above.
>>> 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
>>> inferiorly.
>>> 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
>>> 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.
>> My shoulder hurts now!!
>> I hope your injury is not very serious and recover soon!
>

> I had surgery last September. This was the MRI report from August. I
> need a translation, please!

Most of thes MRI reports sound far more serious than the actual injury -
something very minor can often be described as more serious than full
blown cancer.

15 May 2007 06:35:22
undecided
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 14, 8:48 pm, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> [...]
> > > the subscapularis bursa with synechiae. There are focal punctate areas
> > > of intermediate signal abnormality in the subscapular bursa compatible
> > > with synovial hypertrophy or small intra-articular bodies. Similar
> > > findings are seen in the axillary pouch.
>
> > > IMPRESSION:
> > > 1. Partial undersurface tears at the supraspinatus and infraspinatus
> > > tendons as detailed above.
> > > 2. SLAP lesion and tear of the anterior labrum superiorly to
> > > inferiorly.
> > > 3. Healing impaction fracture of the greater tuberosity.
> > > 4. Joint effusion with synovitis.
>
> > Sounds bad. How old are you?
>
> 57.
>
> > How did you injure it?
>
> Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
> the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball

Number 1 is the only thing I would be concerned with. The rest will be
ok with some rest. I went through a long bout of shoulder issues after
I dislocated my shoulder. It's now back to 99%, only gets a little bit
sore if I play tennis on consecutive days. Of course, I was a bit
younger when my shoulder injury occured (mid 30s) so you should just
take it easy. BTW, the docs had me do physical therapy twice and even
though that strengthened some of the muscles that are rarely used, it
was uncomfortable and and it did not make the pain go away. The pain
went away 6 months later when I started playing tennis regularly again.

15 May 2007 07:12:50
UC
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 15, 9:35 am, undecided <cost...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On May 14, 8:48 pm, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Sounds bad. How old are you?
>
> > 57.
>
> > > How did you injure it?
>
> > Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
> > the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball
> > hitters do.
>
> > > Chronic or trauma?
>
> > Trauma!

> Number 1 is the only thing I would be concerned with.

What is "Number 1"?

> The rest will be
> ok with some rest. I went through a long bout of shoulder issues after
> I dislocated my shoulder. It's now back to 99%, only gets a little bit
> sore if I play tennis on consecutive days. Of course, I was a bit
> younger when my shoulder injury occured (mid 30s) so you should just
> take it easy. BTW, the docs had me do physical therapy twice and even
> though that strengthened some of the muscles that are rarely used, it
> was uncomfortable and and it did not make the pain go away. The pain
> went away 6 months later when I started playing tennis regularly again.

I did physical therapy from November 2006-January 2007.

15 May 2007 09:59:11
andrew.reys@gmail.com
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 15, 7:12 am, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> What is "Number 1"?

I think he means "Number 1" on the initial list of things wrong with
your shoulder.

Now then, about this:
"Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball
hitters do. "

What were you thinking? Sure, baseball players 'warm up' (ie: take
practice swings) with multiple bats to get used to the weight and
whatnot, but if you'll think back to our discussion about farther
contact points vs. closer contact points, you'll recall that baseball
players also use two hands, which changes the mechanics and the things
they can/can't do. Though, honestly I must say the shoulder thing is a
surprise. Swinging a backhand two racquets in one hand with the covers
on, I'd expect serious elbow trouble long before any shoulder injury.

15 May 2007 10:26:06
UC
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 15, 12:59 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com >
wrote:
> On May 15, 7:12 am, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > What is "Number 1"?
>
> I think he means "Number 1" on the initial list of things wrong with
> your shoulder.
>
> Now then, about this:
> "Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
> the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball
> hitters do. "
>
> What were you thinking?

I had done it before.....

> Sure, baseball players 'warm up' (ie: take
> practice swings) with multiple bats to get used to the weight and
> whatnot, but if you'll think back to our discussion about farther
> contact points vs. closer contact points, you'll recall that baseball
> players also use two hands, which changes the mechanics and the things
> they can/can't do. Though, honestly I must say the shoulder thing is a
> surprise. Swinging a backhand two racquets in one hand with the covers
> on, I'd expect serious elbow trouble long before any shoulder injury.

Well, I obviously ripped up some rotator cuff muscles doing it...

15 May 2007 10:36:54
andrew.reys@gmail.com
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 15, 10:26 am, UC <uraniumcommitteechair...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> I had done it before.....
>
> Well, I obviously ripped up some rotator cuff muscles doing it...

Obviously. It's just that, based on the strain that that would put on
your forearm (gripping more than one handle, swinging with extra
resistance due to cover, etc..), I would expect damage to the elbow
before damage to the shoulder - at least on a backhand.Warming up the
serve this way, of course I'd expect damage to the shoulder.

15 May 2007 10:59:34
UC
Re: My shoulder injury

On May 15, 1:36 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com >
wrote:
> On May 15, 10:26 am, UC <uraniumcommitteechair...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I had done it before.....
>
> > Well, I obviously ripped up some rotator cuff muscles doing it...
>
> Obviously. It's just that, based on the strain that that would put on
> your forearm (gripping more than one handle, swinging with extra
> resistance due to cover, etc..), I would expect damage to the elbow
> before damage to the shoulder - at least on a backhand.Warming up the
> serve this way, of course I'd expect damage to the shoulder.

Well, I had not done it often, just a few times before. The tissues
were obviously already compromised in some way, as the report mentions
minor problem once (pain on the TOP of my shoulder) when I played with
the Yonex racquets, that seemed to come from serving.

15 May 2007 11:47:23

wrote:
> On May 15, 7:12 am, UC <uraniumcommit...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > What is "Number 1"?
>
> I think he means "Number 1" on the initial list of things wrong with
> your shoulder.
>
> Now then, about this:
> "Warming up using two racquets in my hand (hitting 'backhands'), with
> the covers on, to increase air resistance, in the way that baseball
> hitters do. "
>
> What were you thinking? Sure, baseball players 'warm up' (ie: take
> practice swings) with multiple bats to get used to the weight and
> whatnot, but if you'll think back to our discussion about farther
> contact points vs. closer contact points, you'll recall that baseball
> players also use two hands, which changes the mechanics and the things
> they can/can't do. Though, honestly I must say the shoulder thing is a
> surprise. Swinging a backhand two racquets in one hand with the covers
> on, I'd expect serious elbow trouble long before any shoulder injury.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Other than the tendon tears, everything
else should not compromise your shoulder long term. What I started
doing after my injury is, heat before you play, cool after. Use those
microwave/freezer pads. 10 mins of heat before play, 15 mins of cool
after. Increases blood flow to the area.

15 May 2007 15:07:53
topspin
Re: My shoulder injury

On 15 May, 18:59, UC <uraniumcommitteechair...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On May 15, 1:36 pm, "andrew.r...@gmail.com" <andrew.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On May 15, 10:26 am, UC <uraniumcommitteechair...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I had done it before.....
>
> > > Well, I obviously ripped up some rotator cuff muscles doing it...
>
> > Obviously. It's just that, based on the strain that that would put on
> > your forearm (gripping more than one handle, swinging with extra
> > resistance due to cover, etc..), I would expect damage to the elbow
> > before damage to the shoulder - at least on a backhand.Warming up the
> > serve this way, of course I'd expect damage to the shoulder.
>
> Well, I had not done it often, just a few times before. The tissues
> were obviously already compromised in some way, as the report mentions
> minor problem once (pain on the TOP of my shoulder) when I played with
> the Yonex racquets, that seemed to come from serving.

FWIW I suspect it is just an age thing. I've come to the conclusion
that my own tennis elbow was simple due tendons weakening more than
muscles, so they got torn by an action (serving) that I had done many
times without problem. One day the imbalance between muscle power and
tendon strength resulted in damage.

>From what you've described it sounds as if you've done the same. None
of us is immortal!

18 May 2007 18:27:48
Re: My shoulder injury

Cold One makes a refreezable cold compression wrap for tennis elbow and torn
or strained rotator cuffs. Very useful after exercise and not messy like
ice. coldone.com