05 Oct 2004 20:07:47
Marius Hancu
Roddick and Kim not using "the woofer system" on Babolats

Some of you might have seen another recent thread (Subject: Federer,
Roddick and their racquets) in which I suggested that Roddick should
change his racquet, as it is too light (thus does not protect enough his
shoulder and elbow - he recently had elbow problems in Thailand during
the final with Fed) and not accurate enough.

Well, I got more information today which would support such a move.

Talking to one of the best stringers in Montreal, he told me that in
effect ARod and Kim do NOT use the Woofer grommet system presented at:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ractechpage.html?PCODE=BPDP

on their Babolat Pure Drive racquets.

Those racquets are from start definitely very rigid, with a Flex Rating
of about 70 as per:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/BPDP/BPDPReview.html

The lack of the Woofer grommets makes their string beds less flexible
and overall in touch and effect on the arm the racquet becomes even more
rigid.

Now that we have Kim down with that wrist injury, ARod with his elbow
injury (even if less critical for the time being), I wonder if there is
anyone in their camps trying to reflect seriously about this ...

Marius Hancu

06 Oct 2004 09:40:46
dizzy
Re: Roddick and Kim not using "the woofer system" on Babolats

"Marius Hancu" <NOSPAM@videotron.ca > wrote in message
> Talking to one of the best stringers in Montreal, he told me that in
> effect ARod and Kim do NOT use the Woofer grommet system presented at:
>
> http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ractechpage.html?PCODE=BPDP
>
> on their Babolat Pure Drive racquets.

How irresponsible, hitting that hard and not using modern stress relief
technology !? Wonder what kind of attitude Babolat engineers have towards
ordinary customers if they do not pay attention to wellbeing of their
company's top stars.

Btw, did your friend stringer had a chance to measure the *actual* weight
and balance point of ARod's and/or Kim's racquet ?

06 Oct 2004 01:51:30
Marius Hancu
Re: Roddick and Kim not using "the woofer system" on Babolats

For the unaware, the "woofer grommet system" is provided by grommets
with a round/arched surface running under the strings, on the outside of
the frame, which help the strings move more than usual grommets.

It's been used by Babolat and presented at:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ractechpage.html?PCODE=BPDP

A better system, IMO, including some "rockers" is used by Mitt USA:

http://www.mittusa.com/rackets/tennis_rocker_system.htm

makers of racquets recommended for tennis elbow:

http://www.mittusa.com/no_tennis_elbow/no_tennis_elbow.htm

I'd say those racquets are quite effective in such cases.

Marius Hancu