27 Apr 2006 06:19:01
Boat Advice

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a direct drive. I know these topics have been
debated before, however, I thought I would throw this out. I have a
family of 5, looking for a used 1997 or newer open bow (prefer a step
thru) direct drive boat that is decent thru the course yet is good for
a family. I have a friend who has a 93 SN and another that just bought
a 1997 Prostar 197, I am not as hard core as they are on the course,
but still want great wakes.

What are your thoughts on:

MC Prostar 205
Sport Nautique
Malibu Sunsetter
Malibu Sportster
Any others that would work out well??

Any years to stay away from???

Thanks!!
D.

27 Apr 2006 08:39:50
JT
Re: Boat Advice

<greatloop@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to buy a direct drive. I know these topics have been
> debated before, however, I thought I would throw this out. I have a
> family of 5, looking for a used 1997 or newer open bow (prefer a step
> thru) direct drive boat that is decent thru the course yet is good for
> a family. I have a friend who has a 93 SN and another that just bought
> a 1997 Prostar 197, I am not as hard core as they are on the course,
> but still want great wakes.
>
> What are your thoughts on:
>
> MC Prostar 205
> Sport Nautique
> Malibu Sunsetter

I just sold my '96 Sunsetter (upgraded to an '06 Sunsetter XTi), we bought
the boat new and really enjoyed the boat. For a larger open bow boat, it
does a good job through the course. The slalom wake is was very similar to
the '95 MC 205 and '96 SN that my buddies have. Drop the wedge ('96 and
newer you can add the wedge) and you have a decent intermediate
wakeboard/hydrofoil wake. Ours had the 320 hp. Monsoon, the motor was great,
never once had the boat in for service in the 10 year. Just normal
maintenance spring/fall.

Best of luck with your purchase decision, I don't think you could go wrong
with that vintage Sunsetter.

YMMV,
JT

28 Apr 2006 03:07:53
K. Engel
Re: Boat Advice

Mr. D.,

If you are looking for a good crossover boat, I would highly recommend
either of the Malibu's. I own a 2000 Malibu Sportster and I love the great
wakes for slalom skiing and the intermediate wakeboard wakes in 2 seconds
after dropping the wedge into place.

Although, with a family of 5 you may want a slightly larger boat that has a
larger seating capacity. The Sportster rides quite low in the water when
loaded down with two families, so my next boat will be most likely a 206
Ski Nautique or a 21i Tige.

K.
<greatloop@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to buy a direct drive. I know these topics have been
> debated before, however, I thought I would throw this out. I have a
> family of 5, looking for a used 1997 or newer open bow (prefer a step
> thru) direct drive boat that is decent thru the course yet is good for
> a family. I have a friend who has a 93 SN and another that just bought
> a 1997 Prostar 197, I am not as hard core as they are on the course,
> but still want great wakes.
>
> What are your thoughts on:
>
> MC Prostar 205
> Sport Nautique
> Malibu Sunsetter
> Malibu Sportster
> Any others that would work out well??
>
> Any years to stay away from???
>
> Thanks!!
> D.

01 May 2006 04:38:57
Tom Ruta
Re: Boat Advice

On 27 Apr 2006 06:19:01 -0700, greatloop@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am looking to buy a direct drive. I know these topics have been
>debated before, however, I thought I would throw this out. I have a
>family of 5, looking for a used 1997 or newer open bow (prefer a step
>thru) direct drive boat that is decent thru the course yet is good for
>a family. I have a friend who has a 93 SN and another that just bought
>a 1997 Prostar 197, I am not as hard core as they are on the course,
>but still want great wakes.
>
>What are your thoughts on:
>
>MC Prostar 205
>Sport Nautique
>Malibu Sunsetter
>Malibu Sportster
>Any others that would work out well??

98 > Response LX

01 May 2006 04:39:29
Tom Ruta
Re: Boat Advice

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 03:07:53 GMT, "K. Engel" <ke.ap@shawNOSPAM.ca >
wrote:

>Mr. D.,
>
>If you are looking for a good crossover boat, I would highly recommend
>either of the Malibu's. I own a 2000 Malibu Sportster and I love the great
>wakes for slalom skiing and the intermediate wakeboard wakes in 2 seconds
>after dropping the wedge into place.
>
>Although, with a family of 5 you may want a slightly larger boat that has a
>larger seating capacity. The Sportster rides quite low in the water when
>loaded down with two families, so my next boat will be most likely a 206
>Ski Nautique or a 21i Tige.

Or a Malibu Response LXi.

02 May 2006 19:59:21
waterskier
Re: Boat Advice

"Tom Ruta" <rutat@cadvision.com > wrote in message
> On 27 Apr 2006 06:19:01 -0700, greatloop@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am looking to buy a direct drive. I know these topics have been
>>debated before, however, I thought I would throw this out. I have a
>>family of 5, looking for a used 1997 or newer open bow (prefer a step
>>thru) direct drive boat that is decent thru the course yet is good for
>>a family. I have a friend who has a 93 SN and another that just bought
>>a 1997 Prostar 197, I am not as hard core as they are on the course,
>>but still want great wakes.
>>
>>What are your thoughts on:
>>
>>MC Prostar 205
>>Sport Nautique
>>Malibu Sunsetter
>>Malibu Sportster
>>Any others that would work out well??
>
> 98> Response LX

Tom's fibbing. He has no experience with a 98 Response LX.

02 May 2006 18:17:01
Re: Boat Advice

Thanks for all of the replies....Here is another boat to throw in the
mix....1998 Supra Legacy? Any experience with this one??? I may go
look at one tomorrow.

Thanks

Daron

03 May 2006 03:01:15
K. Engel
Re: Boat Advice

Sorry, Daron. I can't help you with that one.

Kevin

> Thanks for all of the replies....Here is another boat to throw in the
> mix....1998 Supra Legacy? Any experience with this one??? I may go
> look at one tomorrow.
>
> Thanks
>
> Daron

05 May 2006 11:34:02
FLY135
Re: Boat Advice

greatloop@hotmail.com wrote:

> What are your thoughts on:
>
> MC Prostar 205

The 205 is a great boat for slalom and can be turned into an awesome
wakeboard boat with fat sacs.