07 Aug 2003 19:04:57
Marty Vogel
Rudder filing for boat tracking

Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
steering wheel.

My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

07 Aug 2003 12:26:54
Jeff Taylor
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

"Marty Vogel" <h20andsno@earthlink.net > wrote in message

> My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

Boat type, year, etc...?

08 Aug 2003 10:31:46
Dale Coleman
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:04:57 GMT, "Marty Vogel"
<h20andsno@earthlink.net > wrote:

Hi Marty and the group, first make sure the rudder and steering system
are not binding and there is no damage. If there is any binding at all
the boat will not steer well. If there is some binding the cable is
likely the cause but also check the support tube and rudder. A very
slight bend to the rudder shaft from backing into or hitting something
can cause poor steering.

If the steering is free but does not pull to the right above 28 MPH or
so then grinding the trailing edge of the rudder will help a lot.

I have found a 6 inch air grinder with a 20 grit disk like the type
auto body shops use will do a real number on the rudder. About 30
seconds of grinding and then a lake test and a follow up fine tune
grind should do the trick.

BTW most of the request I got for grinding the rudder were for boats
that pulled too hard to the right. I would take most of the pull out
but leave enough so the boat pulls just a little at 28.

Hope this helps, Dale
>Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
>better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
>filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
>steering wheel.
>
>My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

08 Aug 2003 12:35:58
Peter Richards
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

Yes, by design Malibu tracking is slightly "sprung": At skiing speeds,
the steering wants to turn to starboard. No filing of the rudder is
necessary, since it's already cast in the proper shape. If the steering
system is lubed and secure, and the tracking fins are secure in their
factory alignment, I believe your boat should also be sprung to
starboard -- my '98 Sunsetter certainly was. You might check with the
factory or the MBO board to make sure the '95 was setup this way, too.

All ski boats get pulled off track slightly by aggressive skiers,
requiring small corrective measures by the driver. This is normal.
Undoubtedly, some models track better than others, and I don't know how
the '95 Sunsetter fares in comparisons.

What is the specific problem your boat is having?

Have you consulted with either a dealer or the factory?

Marty Vogel wrote:

> Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
> better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
> filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
> steering wheel.
>
> My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

08 Aug 2003 17:44:23
Marty Vogel
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

Dale,

Thanks for the info.

Which side of the trailing edge?
How far foward? An inch or 2 from the trailing edge, tapered to the
trailing edge?

Marty

"Dale Coleman" <kf4sir@earthlink.net > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:04:57 GMT, "Marty Vogel"
> <h20andsno@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Marty and the group, first make sure the rudder and steering system
> are not binding and there is no damage. If there is any binding at all
> the boat will not steer well. If there is some binding the cable is
> likely the cause but also check the support tube and rudder. A very
> slight bend to the rudder shaft from backing into or hitting something
> can cause poor steering.
>
> If the steering is free but does not pull to the right above 28 MPH or
> so then grinding the trailing edge of the rudder will help a lot.
>
> I have found a 6 inch air grinder with a 20 grit disk like the type
> auto body shops use will do a real number on the rudder. About 30
> seconds of grinding and then a lake test and a follow up fine tune
> grind should do the trick.
>
> BTW most of the request I got for grinding the rudder were for boats
> that pulled too hard to the right. I would take most of the pull out
> but leave enough so the boat pulls just a little at 28.
>
> Hope this helps, Dale
> >Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
> >better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
> >filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
> >steering wheel.
> >
> >My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

08 Aug 2003 17:44:25
Marty Vogel
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

I am trying to get rid of a small dead band. It tough to make corrective
measures required while running through the course.

I drove and skied behind a friends CorrectCraft and can do the course with
ease. Behind my boat I have a lot of trouble because the back of the boat
gets pulled off course. If I take my hand off the steering wheel while just
driving in open water the boat tracks straight ahead.

Thanks,
Marty

"Peter Richards" <clinton.nurseries@snet.net > wrote in message
> Yes, by design Malibu tracking is slightly "sprung": At skiing speeds,
> the steering wants to turn to starboard. No filing of the rudder is
> necessary, since it's already cast in the proper shape. If the steering
> system is lubed and secure, and the tracking fins are secure in their
> factory alignment, I believe your boat should also be sprung to
> starboard -- my '98 Sunsetter certainly was. You might check with the
> factory or the MBO board to make sure the '95 was setup this way, too.
>
> All ski boats get pulled off track slightly by aggressive skiers,
> requiring small corrective measures by the driver. This is normal.
> Undoubtedly, some models track better than others, and I don't know how
> the '95 Sunsetter fares in comparisons.
>
> What is the specific problem your boat is having?
>
> Have you consulted with either a dealer or the factory?
>

> Marty Vogel wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
> > better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
> > filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
> > steering wheel.
> >
> > My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

08 Aug 2003 20:39:14
Peter Richards
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

I'm not sure about the '95 model year, if Malibu set them up with the
starboard steering bias. I kinda think they did. So if yours has lost
it, the factory folks would be a good starting place to ask how you
might get it back.

Call the factory and ask -- they love to hear from owners!

Sorry not to be more help...

Marty Vogel wrote:

> I am trying to get rid of a small dead band. It tough to make corrective
> measures required while running through the course.
>
> I drove and skied behind a friends CorrectCraft and can do the course with
> ease. Behind my boat I have a lot of trouble because the back of the boat
> gets pulled off course. If I take my hand off the steering wheel while just
> driving in open water the boat tracks straight ahead.
>
> Thanks,
> Marty
>
> "Peter Richards" <clinton.nurseries@snet.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, by design Malibu tracking is slightly "sprung": At skiing speeds,
> > the steering wants to turn to starboard. No filing of the rudder is
> > necessary, since it's already cast in the proper shape. If the steering
> > system is lubed and secure, and the tracking fins are secure in their
> > factory alignment, I believe your boat should also be sprung to
> > starboard -- my '98 Sunsetter certainly was. You might check with the
> > factory or the MBO board to make sure the '95 was setup this way, too.
> >
> > All ski boats get pulled off track slightly by aggressive skiers,
> > requiring small corrective measures by the driver. This is normal.
> > Undoubtedly, some models track better than others, and I don't know how
> > the '95 Sunsetter fares in comparisons.
> >
> > What is the specific problem your boat is having?
> >
> > Have you consulted with either a dealer or the factory?
> >

> > Marty Vogel wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have some specifics about filing a rudder so the boat tracks
> > > better through the ski course? I have heard that the rudder needs to be
> > > filed such that the boat will turn to the right if you let go of the
> > > steering wheel.
> > >
> > > My boat does not track properly. What specifically needs to be done?

09 Aug 2003 14:37:33
Dale Coleman
Re: Rudder filing for boat tracking

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:44:23 GMT, "Marty Vogel"
<h20andsno@earthlink.net > wrote:

Hi Marty and the group, it has been a while since I had to turn a
rudder. I think I have been out in the sun too long and can't remember
what side of the rudder I would grind. Most of the rudders that I
needed to tune required less right pull not more. In any case if you
have access to an air auto body grinder or maybe a belt sander with a
20 grit belt hold the tool at about 45 degrees to the trailing edge of
the rudder and cut a shinny spot about 1/4 inch wide the whole length
of the trailing edge. Take the boat out on the water and see what
happens. If you got it wrong taking the same amount out of the other
side will get you back to where you started. Cutting more will cause
the rudder to pull, after you get the pull about where you wan't it
round off the rough cut.

That should do it.

Hope this helps, Dale

>Dale,
>
>Thanks for the info.
>
>Which side of the trailing edge?
>How far foward? An inch or 2 from the trailing edge, tapered to the
>trailing edge?
>
>Marty

---cut---