02 Feb 2004 17:30:31
AL
Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

Good Evening!

I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
(only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

03 Feb 2004 15:21:51
Nav
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

Are you sure you know where it's jamming? Could be a fat bit of luff
jamming futher down...

I would not recommend bending the mast groove. Get a new bolt rope sewn
on instead.

Cheers

AL wrote:

> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

03 Feb 2004 08:35:14
Stefan Lloyd

"AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove.

You could be heading for the opposite problem, where the bolt rope pulls out
of the mast under sailing loads. If this happens it is very bad news, as the
main can then become extremely hard to drop. If your boat is big enough, get
a climbers harness or bosun's chair, go up the mast and see if you can see
where it is jamming. Failing that, get advice from a rigger.

03 Feb 2004 11:21:40
Dave Moore
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

Before major surgery try lubrication - candle wax is not ideal - you could
try prolube, a PTFE based spray that is non staining and works very well for
me.

Dave
"AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

03 Feb 2004 12:59:02
Chris

"Dave Moore" <dave.moore@nospam.virgin.net > wrote in message
: Before major surgery try lubrication - candle wax is not ideal - you could
: try prolube, a PTFE based spray that is non staining and works very well
for
: me.
:
: Dave
: "AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
: news:a56cbd53.0402021730.79e4171f@posting.google.com...
: > Good Evening!
: >
[...]
Consider getting the sailmaker to fit slides for much easier sail handling
and not much cost
ChrisR

03 Feb 2004 13:19:31
Chris Lowe

AL wrote:

> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

First sight up the mast and see if you can see any distortion. Any
wriggles in the track etc should show up. Secondly find the exact
problem before you try to fix it. Ideally go up the mast while the sail
is being hosted and make sure you know exatly where the problem is, and
only then try to fix it

03 Feb 2004 06:29:24
AL
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

Much appreciated! Will get some PTFE spray and try to have a look further up.

Al

03 Feb 2004 23:12:32
John
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

Check the sail head board, the plastic triangle that you fit the halyard
shackle to, if the attachment hole is too far off the line of pull you need
to drill another closer in.
J.H.
> Much appreciated! Will get some PTFE spray and try to have a look further
up.

> Al

05 Feb 2004 22:49:09
fraggy
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

hiya
use a wax candle to lubricate the groove, very simple.

fragged

"AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

06 Feb 2004 10:20:50
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:49:09 +0000 (UTC), "fraggy"
<fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com > wrote:

>hiya
> use a wax candle to lubricate the groove, very simple.

put the wax on the luff of the sail.

PTFE spray is easier to apply and works just as well.
--
Martin

06 Feb 2004 10:09:36
Five Cats
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

In message <e1n6205819fvvihbrall339hu2kq71i7o7@4ax.com >, martin
<me@privacy.net > writes
>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:49:09 +0000 (UTC), "fraggy"
><fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>hiya
>> use a wax candle to lubricate the groove, very simple.
>
>put the wax on the luff of the sail.
>
>PTFE spray is easier to apply and works just as well.

Make sure the mast is rotated so it's dead head-to-wind when you try to
get the sail up as well - if it's slightly off that adds a lot of extra
friction.

--
Five Cats
Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

06 Feb 2004 11:22:01
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:09:36 +0000, Five Cats <cats_spam@[127.0.0.1] >
wrote:

>In message <e1n6205819fvvihbrall339hu2kq71i7o7@4ax.com>, martin
><me@privacy.net> writes
>>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:49:09 +0000 (UTC), "fraggy"
>><fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>hiya
>>> use a wax candle to lubricate the groove, very simple.
>>
>>put the wax on the luff of the sail.
>>
>>PTFE spray is easier to apply and works just as well.
>
>Make sure the mast is rotated so it's dead head-to-wind when you try to
>get the sail up as well - if it's slightly off that adds a lot of extra
>friction.
Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we used
the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came down on
top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on the sail
seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on the blocks
they all run as if they have ball bearings.
--
Martin

06 Feb 2004 10:30:28
Five Cats
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

In message <bfq6209bffftc6gic4o3e1dp6akl5um34v@4ax.com >, martin
<me@privacy.net > writes
>On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:09:36 +0000, Five Cats <cats_spam@[127.0.0.1]>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <e1n6205819fvvihbrall339hu2kq71i7o7@4ax.com>, martin
>><me@privacy.net> writes

>>>put the wax on the luff of the sail.
>>>
>>>PTFE spray is easier to apply and works just as well.
>>
>>Make sure the mast is rotated so it's dead head-to-wind when you try to
>>get the sail up as well - if it's slightly off that adds a lot of extra
>>friction.
>Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
>or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
>difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we used
>the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came down on
>top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on the sail
>seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on the blocks
>they all run as if they have ball bearings.

Sounds powerful stuff!

--
Five Cats
Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

06 Feb 2004 11:53:08
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:30:28 +0000, Five Cats <cats_spam@[127.0.0.1] >
wrote:

>In message <bfq6209bffftc6gic4o3e1dp6akl5um34v@4ax.com>, martin
><me@privacy.net> writes
>>On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:09:36 +0000, Five Cats <cats_spam@[127.0.0.1]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <e1n6205819fvvihbrall339hu2kq71i7o7@4ax.com>, martin
>>><me@privacy.net> writes

>>>Make sure the mast is rotated so it's dead head-to-wind when you try to
>>>get the sail up as well - if it's slightly off that adds a lot of extra
>>>friction.
>>Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
>>or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
>>difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we used
>>the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came down on
>>top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on the sail
>>seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on the blocks
>>they all run as if they have ball bearings.
>
>Sounds powerful stuff!

It's teflon, I suppose you knew that?

Some claim that Tony Blair uses it as shower gel. :-)

BTW if you spill it on the deck it's almost impossible to wash off.
It doesn't stain, it just leaves a slippery area.
--
Martin

06 Feb 2004 11:35:42
PyroJames

martin <me@privacy.net > wrote in message

> Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
> or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
> difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we used
> the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came down on
> top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on the sail
> seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on the blocks
> they all run as if they have ball bearings.

Right then, it sounds like the stuff I should use on my masthead sheaves.
They always tend to get stiff over the season, and are a right PITA to oil.

--
PyroJames
The chilling wind turning over leaves and coat tails,

06 Feb 2004 12:35:00
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:35:42 -0000, "PyroJames"
<j.kelman@cranNOfield.SPAMac.uk > wrote:

>martin <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>> Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
>> or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
>> difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we used
>> the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came down on
>> top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on the sail
>> seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on the blocks
>> they all run as if they have ball bearings.
>
>Right then, it sounds like the stuff I should use on my masthead sheaves.
>They always tend to get stiff over the season, and are a right PITA to oil.

I bought a large aerosol of PTFE/Teflon spray in Gamma - the Dutch
equivalent of B&Q. It costs 4 to 6 quid ( 4 quid last April, 6 quid
yesterday)

Chandlers sell the same stuff in little containers with fancy names
for big prices.

I saw the tip on the Dutch equivalent of urs. I'm amazed everybody
isn't using it.
--
Martin

06 Feb 2004 11:35:44
Sandy Morton
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

In article <jcs620d9akcm6t2lroh3f3l9mn0a36m5l8@4ax.com >, martin
<me@privacy.net > wrote:
> >Sounds powerful stuff!

> It's teflon, I suppose you knew that?

Do you have a brand name for the one you use - we have been using
GT85 or TF3 but I think there may be something better? Super Spray
Lube was very good but I haven't been able to get any recently.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

06 Feb 2004 13:16:12
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:35:44 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton
<atm@sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk > wrote:

>In article <jcs620d9akcm6t2lroh3f3l9mn0a36m5l8@4ax.com>, martin
><me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> >Sounds powerful stuff!
>
>> It's teflon, I suppose you knew that?
>
>Do you have a brand name for the one you use - we have been using
>GT85 or TF3 but I think there may be something better? Super Spray
>Lube was very good but I haven't been able to get any recently.

AFAIR it doesn't have a brand name, perhaps why it's cheap?

I'll take a look later.
--
Martin

07 Feb 2004 08:55:04
Andy Champ

martin wrote:
> It's teflon, I suppose you knew that?

Technically it's only Teflon if made by Dupont - Teflon is a trade mark.
PTFE is an acronym for PolyTetraFluoroEthylene, which is the proper
decription of the stuff. Famous as "This is what we got from the space
race" - ignoring things like compact computers, communications
satellites, long range weather forecasts...

Andy

07 Feb 2004 20:26:59
J. Allan

"PyroJames" <j.kelman@cranNOfield.SPAMac.uk > wrote in message
> martin <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>> Since I PTFEd the main on my Westerly Centaur, we can get the main up
>> or down on any point of the wind. It's absolutely amazing the
>> difference it made. The first my wife took the main down after we
>> used the spray, my wife undid the halyard and the whole main came
>> down on top of her. Normally she had to pull quite hard. The PTFE on
>> the sail seems to last indefinitely. I've also done the pulleys on
>> the blocks they all run as if they have ball bearings.
>
> Right then, it sounds like the stuff I should use on my masthead
> sheaves. They always tend to get stiff over the season, and are a
> right PITA to oil.

Then I suggest you fair off the edges of your bosun's chair.

John

08 Feb 2004 22:43:03
fraggy
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

hiya
yes PTFE will work but a candle costs about 20p wont rust and PTFE about 5
and the can will rust away leaving an unuseable can of goo.

fragged
"AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

08 Feb 2004 22:44:40
fraggy
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

BTW PTFE isnt teflon it is polytetrafluroethelene teflon is something extra
added to the PTFE.

fragged

"AL" <cna@tesco.net > wrote in message
> Good Evening!
>
> I have a Kelsall trimaran, (fairly old & worn), and the mainsail is
> jamming about 1m from the top of the (9.5m) mast. It's been such a job
> raising the mast (my first boat, and the learning curve is still
> near-vertical) that I don't want to drop it again to have a look. The
> sail went up all the way with the mast horizontal (though with a good
> deal of tugging) but I suppose the mast has bent now it's upright
> (only has 3 stays going to a shackle at the same point,about 8m up;
> it's a rotating mast). I have made a kind of traveller which slides up
> the groove and then a crossbar with ropes on is used to bend it
> sideways, thus levering on the sides of the groove. Found this worked
> well but it wouldn't go higher than about 5m, must be something inside
> the mast stopping it. I have made another now that has a shorter
> projection into the mast, weather permitting I'll try it soon. The
> sail has been patched at points where it fits into the groove, and I
> have used plenty of candle wax. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated - or indeed any warnings of impending destruction!
> Apologies if there is a FAQ about this, or if the question is too
> simple - as mentioned, this is all quite new to me! Thanx. Al, Dorset

08 Feb 2004 23:41:58
Steve Firth
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

fraggy <fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com > wrote:

> BTW PTFE isnt teflon it is polytetrafluroethelene teflon is something extra
> added to the PTFE.

Utter bollocks.

Teflon(R) is DuPont's trademarked name for polyTEtraFLuorOethyleNe.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

09 Feb 2004 10:31:42
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:44:40 +0000 (UTC), "fraggy"
<fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com > wrote:

>BTW PTFE isnt teflon it is polytetrafluroethelene teflon is something extra
>added to the PTFE.

Wrong!
--
Martin

09 Feb 2004 10:34:30
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:41:58 +0000, usenet-urs@malloc.co.uk (Steve
Firth) wrote:

>fraggy <fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW PTFE isnt teflon it is polytetrafluroethelene teflon is something extra
>> added to the PTFE.
>
>Utter bollocks.
>
>Teflon(R) is DuPont's trademarked name for polyTEtraFLuorOethyleNe.

The Dutch made aerosol tin of PTFE spray that I bought is labeled
Teflon and made by CFS. There is no acknowledgement that Teflon is a
registered trade mark.
--
Martin

09 Feb 2004 10:49:21
Meindert Sprang

> The Dutch made aerosol tin of PTFE spray that I bought is labeled
> Teflon and made by CFS. There is no acknowledgement that Teflon is a
> registered trade mark.

See http://www.dupont.com/teflon/fluoroadditives/products/trademark.html

Meindert

09 Feb 2004 11:31:08
martin
Re: Jamming mainsail - should I spread the mast groove?

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:49:21 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
<mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl > wrote:

>"martin" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> The Dutch made aerosol tin of PTFE spray that I bought is labeled
>> Teflon and made by CFS. There is no acknowledgement that Teflon is a
>> registered trade mark.
>
>See http://www.dupont.com/teflon/fluoroadditives/products/trademark.html

Perhaps you should forward the link to CFS, but then I suspect the
price would increase :-)

Incidentally a canister was Euro6.50 in Karwei and Euro9.50 in
Gamma.

A little goes a long way.

--
Martin

09 Feb 2004 14:56:59
PyroJames

J. Allan <allanj@s054.aone.net.au > wrote in message
> "PyroJames" <j.kelman@cranNOfield.SPAMac.uk> wrote in message

> > Right then, it sounds like the stuff I should use on my masthead
> > sheaves. They always tend to get stiff over the season, and are a
> > right PITA to oil.
>
> Then I suggest you fair off the edges of your bosun's chair.

I gave up on bosun's chairs. They are dangerous to use alone, and pinch you
legs against the shrouds on the way up. Climbing harnesses are much more
secure and comfortable.

--
PyroJames
Anything burns if you soak it in liquid oxygen first.

09 Feb 2004 21:47:21
Alisdair Gurney

"fraggy" <fragged8@SPAMhotmail.com > wrote in message
> hiya
> yes PTFE will work but a candle costs about 20p wont rust and PTFE about
5
> and the can will rust away leaving an unuseable can of goo.

Use silicone spray then. It's cheaper (99p for 400ml in Lidl's
last time I saw it), works as well as PTFE, is great for easing
the mainsail, heads, whatever, and doesn't leave a sludge when
the tin rusts. Admittedly it's not that great as an emergency light
source.

Alisdair

09 Feb 2004 23:41:54
Andy Champ

fraggy wrote:
> BTW PTFE isnt teflon it is polytetrafluroethelene teflon is something extra
> added to the PTFE.

I went and looked it up on duPont.com.

Teflon is a family of fluorocarbon polymers, of which PTFE is only one.
I stand corrected - but I'm not sure you were right either!

Andy