11 Nov 2004 21:10:55
Gavin Meldrum
MacGregor 26X

Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.

11 Nov 2004 21:32:13
Ex Alfa Adam
Re: MacGregor 26X

"Gavin Meldrum" <info@gordonsmill.org > wrote in message
> Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.

A bloke in the office has one and loves it, but won't cross the channel in
it in anything above F4......

Adam H

11 Nov 2004 21:40:24
Jack Dale
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:10:55 GMT, Gavin Meldrum <info@gordonsmill.org >
wrote:

>Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.

I saw one that had been used in salt water for two weeks. Normally it
was used in a fresh water lake. The chainplates were showing signs of
corrosion.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)

G S
Re: MacGregor 26X

I dont have a personal opinion formed by experience ,but as i am looking to
buy at this price it was one of those i looked at first.
Bottom line ,most serious sailing cruising people say "These are not boats
,bathtubes sail better."
Any decisions are up to the individual....but they must know something.Then
again if you ask an owner ,he will tell you good things because he has
to.See how many are on the market?this tells to me who is not an expert on
boats ,that there must be a trap a lot of people fell in and now they want
out....
Or they loved sailing by buying this as their first boat and now all of them
want to buy a bigger so they sell ,and they all happened to decide that
together........

I am not going to buy one ,this much i can tell you.

12 Nov 2004 01:13:43
Steve Firth
Re: MacGregor 26X

Gavin Meldrum <info@gordonsmill.org > wrote:

> Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.

There are better boats for the money.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

11 Nov 2004 20:39:14
EDLYNN
Re: MacGregor 26X

If you don't mind an opinion from abroad, the McGregor niche of two-in-one
does not satisfy either the sailor or the power boater. Too much compromise
for either.

Try looking for some good used Catalina22, 25, Tanzers, C&Cs, Freedoms,
Rhodes19, J22, 24....
They all held up well over the years.

ED(USA)
My '87 Catalina22 is still in good shape, moored in Florida waters all year
'round.

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk > wrote in message
> Gavin Meldrum <info@gordonsmill.org> wrote:
>
>> Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.
>
> There are better boats for the money.
>
> --
> "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>
> -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

12 Nov 2004 09:01:50
skmonel
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:20:23 +0000 (UTC), "G S"
<ifyouwantitcomeandgetit@yourass.moc > wrote:

>See how many are on the market?this tells to me who is not an expert on
>boats ,that there must be a trap a lot of people fell in and now they want
>out....

Bit like the Bostrum 31, isn't it.

12 Nov 2004 09:39:57
G S
Re: MacGregor 26X

not quite,5 b31 s is not exactly like the 158 mac gregs i counted yesterday

G S
Re: MacGregor 26X

on secomnd thought ,they are exactly the same,B31 just crossed the North
sea,exactly what you would trust a mcgregor to do ,right ?its your life
mate.....i wouldnt do it on one of these trailer sellers.

12 Nov 2004 17:44:19
Ex Alfa Adam
Re: MacGregor 26X

> on secomnd thought ,they are exactly the same,B31 just crossed the North
> sea,exactly what you would trust a mcgregor to do ,right ?its your life
> mate.....i wouldnt do it on one of these trailer sellers.

I'd do it on a few trailer sailers (My E Boat included) but my colleague did
say that it had water ballast - why would you want that in a boat, unless it
is mechanically moved to the windward tank on every tack.

Chaps, are these macgregor 26s really that bad? (I know they are speedboat
hulls, not hulls designed to sail) Has anyone here actually sailed one?
What do they 'feel' like to sail? How do they behave in a blow/waves?

Adam H

12 Nov 2004 18:28:34
John Wilson

wrote:

>Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.

Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
trailable by a big car

Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either
John Wilson
jwilsonNO*SPAM@yachtsnet.co.uk
Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.

12 Nov 2004 18:43:54
Ex Alfa Adam
Re: MacGregor 26X

> Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
> trailable by a big car
>
> Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
> flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either

So..... Apart from the bad bits, they're good then!

12 Nov 2004 20:24:19
John Wilson
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:43:54 -0000, "Ex Alfa Adam"
<armageddon_now@hotmail.com > wrote:

>> Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
>> trailable by a big car
>>
>> Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
>> flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either
>
>So..... Apart from the bad bits, they're good then!

Personally, I would not want one, but for some people the combination
of being able to sail on a nice day plus a big engine to get about
fairly quickly does appeal. New they are low-priced for a 26-footer.

The appeal often seems to fade - hence there are always a lot of
nearly new ones up for sale. There probably are however people for
whom they are the ideal boat.

Actual sailing performance is really quite poor - in comparison to all
other small sailing cruisers I can't think of anything as slow. I
have not actually sailed one, but I've sailed past them often enough.
In anything but light to moderate breeze on smooth water they
struggle. In very light winds they are so undercanvassed that even
with no water ballast inside they are slow. In strong winds the water
ballast is no substitute for a proper keel, and the high topsides
causes lots of leeway.

John Wilson
jwilsonNO*SPAM@yachtsnet.co.uk
Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.

12 Nov 2004 22:35:11
martin
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:44:19 -0000, "Ex Alfa Adam"
<armageddon_now@hotmail.com > wrote:

>> on secomnd thought ,they are exactly the same,B31 just crossed the North
>> sea,exactly what you would trust a mcgregor to do ,right ?its your life
>> mate.....i wouldnt do it on one of these trailer sellers.
>
>I'd do it on a few trailer sailers (My E Boat included) but my colleague did
>say that it had water ballast - why would you want that in a boat, unless it
>is mechanically moved to the windward tank on every tack.
>
>Chaps, are these macgregor 26s really that bad? (I know they are speedboat
>hulls, not hulls designed to sail) Has anyone here actually sailed one?
>What do they 'feel' like to sail? How do they behave in a blow/waves?

Did you ever read the Craptain Neal postings on the subject?
Probably his finest work.
--
Martin

12 Nov 2004 22:40:47
martin
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:43:54 -0000, "Ex Alfa Adam"
<armageddon_now@hotmail.com > wrote:

>> Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
>> trailable by a big car
>>
>> Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
>> flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either
>
>So..... Apart from the bad bits, they're good then!

"EGordon873 and his Mac26X was a hoot. Did you ever
see his website? Nobody's heard from him in a long time.

http://www.homestead.com/egordon873/album.html"

--
Martin

15 Nov 2004 10:09:26
Chris Lowe
Re: MacGregor 26X

John Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:10:55 GMT, Gavin Meldrum <info@gordonsmill.org>
> wrote:
>

>>Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.
>>

> Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
> trailable by a big car
>
> Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
> flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either

Also the interior finish is poor with a lot of rough glass accessable on
the couple I 've looked over.

16 Nov 2004 21:38:29
Banks Family
Re: MacGregor 26X

Good - lot of boat for the money

bad - don't sail well at all - VERY poorly/cheaply made - horrendous windage

I had one on an inland waterway for 3 years and it was fun - but I wouldn't
go to sea in one.

"Chris Lowe" <cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com > wrote in message

> John Wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:10:55 GMT, Gavin Meldrum <info@gordonsmill.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Looking for opinions - good or bad on the above craft.
>>>

>> Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
>> trailable by a big car
>>
>> Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
>> flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either
>
> Also the interior finish is poor with a lot of rough glass accessable on
> the couple I 've looked over.

25 Nov 2004 22:20:36
Mike James
Re: MacGregor 26X

Banks Family wrote:

> Good - lot of boat for the money
>
> bad - don't sail well at all - VERY poorly/cheaply made - horrendous windage
>
> I had one on an inland waterway for 3 years and it was fun - but I wouldn't
> go to sea in one.
>

> "Chris Lowe" <cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com> wrote in message
>

>>John Wilson wrote:

>>>Good: Lots of interior space for the size, cleverly designed,
>>>trailable by a big car
>>>
>>>Bad: They really don't sail well, many of the fittings are on the
>>>flimsy side, they don't go that well under power either
>>
>>Also the interior finish is poor with a lot of rough glass accessable on
>>the couple I 've looked over.

We always chuckle on the juxtaposition at the Southampton Boat Show.

In the centre : glossy Barclays finance stand.
To the left : Macgregor 26X for about 20k
To the right : Sunseeker stand with array of vast and expensive shiny hulls.

I am sure the visitor starts on the right, gets big ideas, goes into
Barclays to see what he can borrow and is then gently propelled in the
direction of the stand to the left.

I think an old Westerly Centaur with a marinised (60HP) car diesel is
actually a much better bet and probably about as expensive....

Apparently this can beat the tide under engine in the Severn estuary,
still sail in heavy weather and it has room inside. No it wont tow
waterskiers but will a 26X full of cruising stuff?

26 Nov 2004 09:55:14
martin
Re: MacGregor 26X

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:20:36 +0000, Mike James
<mike@hamble.demon.co.uk > wrote:

>Banks Family wrote:
>
>> Good - lot of boat for the money
>>
>> bad - don't sail well at all - VERY poorly/cheaply made - horrendous windage
>>
>> I had one on an inland waterway for 3 years and it was fun - but I wouldn't
>> go to sea in one.
>>

>> "Chris Lowe" <cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com> wrote in message

>>>Also the interior finish is poor with a lot of rough glass accessable on
>>>the couple I 've looked over.
>>>

>We always chuckle on the juxtaposition at the Southampton Boat Show.
>
>In the centre : glossy Barclays finance stand.
>To the left : Macgregor 26X for about 20k
>To the right : Sunseeker stand with array of vast and expensive shiny hulls.
>
>I am sure the visitor starts on the right, gets big ideas, goes into
>Barclays to see what he can borrow and is then gently propelled in the
>direction of the stand to the left.
>
>I think an old Westerly Centaur with a marinised (60HP) car diesel is
>actually a much better bet and probably about as expensive....
>
>Apparently this can beat the tide under engine in the Severn estuary,
>still sail in heavy weather and it has room inside. No it wont tow
>waterskiers but will a 26X full of cruising stuff?

My Centaur will do over seven knots with it's original 22 HP engine.
I can't imagine a Centaur with a 60HP engine.
--
Martin

27 Nov 2004 23:51:55
Alan Frame
Re: MacGregor 26X

Mike James <mike@hamble.demon.co.uk > wrote:

> We always chuckle on the juxtaposition at the Southampton Boat Show.
>
> In the centre : glossy Barclays finance stand.
> To the left : Macgregor 26X for about 20k
> To the right : Sunseeker stand with array of vast and expensive shiny hulls.
>
> I am sure the visitor starts on the right, gets big ideas, goes into
> Barclays to see what he can borrow and is then gently propelled in the
> direction of the stand to the left.

Hehehe.

This year, I took the SO on:
(1) The Folkboat
(2) The British Hunters
(3) Random BenJenBavs
(4) The Halllberg-Rassy 34
in that order ;-)

Didn't /quite/ work, mind, but she agrees that the H-R is worth the
dosh...

rgds, 'Still boatless' Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5

28 Nov 2004 17:32:24
Mike James
Re: MacGregor 26X

martin wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:20:36 +0000, Mike James
> <mike@hamble.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Banks Family wrote:
>>

>>>Good - lot of boat for the money
>>>
>>>bad - don't sail well at all - VERY poorly/cheaply made - horrendous windage
>>>
>>>I had one on an inland waterway for 3 years and it was fun - but I wouldn't
>>>go to sea in one.
>>>

>>>"Chris Lowe" <cjbl@removespamblockart-render.com> wrote in message

>>We always chuckle on the juxtaposition at the Southampton Boat Show.
>>
>>In the centre : glossy Barclays finance stand.
>>To the left : Macgregor 26X for about 20k
>>To the right : Sunseeker stand with array of vast and expensive shiny hulls.
>>
>>I am sure the visitor starts on the right, gets big ideas, goes into
>>Barclays to see what he can borrow and is then gently propelled in the
>>direction of the stand to the left.
>>
>>I think an old Westerly Centaur with a marinised (60HP) car diesel is
>>actually a much better bet and probably about as expensive....
>>
>>Apparently this can beat the tide under engine in the Severn estuary,
>>still sail in heavy weather and it has room inside. No it wont tow
>>waterskiers but will a 26X full of cruising stuff?
>

> My Centaur will do over seven knots with it's original 22 HP engine.
> I can't imagine a Centaur with a 60HP engine.

According to the son of the owner its quite simple involving an old Ford
van diesel engine and some cooling modifications, although I expect its
actually just a Lancing Marine version complete with power restriction
to allow for cooler running.

It does get a bit hot apparently :-)