30 Apr 2007 14:00:32
Duncan Heenan
Scum on the sea

The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me is
algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at this
time of year).
Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?





30 Apr 2007 06:15:22
toad
Re: Scum on the sea

On 30 Apr, 14:00, "Duncan Heenan"
<pleasenospammersduncanhee...@tiscali.co.uk > wrote:
> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me is
> algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at this
> time of year).
> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?

I've noticed this over the last two weeks but put it down to sewerage
from boats. Given I've been enjoying the odd swim (outside of the
Solent only) I'm quite please to hear it's actually algae.



30 Apr 2007 16:05:19
Martin
Re: Scum on the sea

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:00:32 +0100, "Duncan Heenan"
<pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk > wrote:

>The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me is
>algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at this
>time of year).
>Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>
>

It's happening along the Dutch coast. It happens every year. Even in the days
when a new ice age was forecast. The sea is 10C here at the moment.
--

Martin



30 Apr 2007 16:43:54
Steve Firth
Re: Scum on the sea

Duncan Heenan <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk > wrote:

> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum,

Sunbathers, but normally at this time of year the Solent is filthy with
red scum. You must have encountered the fake tan brigade.


30 Apr 2007 19:24:13
Nigel
Re: Scum on the sea


"Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk > wrote in
message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at
> this time of year).
> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>

Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem, a lot of folk aren't
happy about 25 tons of steel rafting alongside.




30 Apr 2007 22:19:20
Martin
Re: Scum on the sea

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:24:13 +0100, "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com > wrote:

>
>"Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
>> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at
>> this time of year).
>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>>
>
>Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
>holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
>solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
>Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem

I blame loose sexual morals and the lack of sea going NHS midwives.
--

Martin



30 Apr 2007 22:16:41
Re: Scum on the sea

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:24:13 +0100, "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>
>"Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
>> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at
>> this time of year).
>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>>
>
>Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
>holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
>solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
>Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem, a lot of folk aren't
>happy about 25 tons of steel rafting alongside.

Unless the weather takes a sudden turn for the worst, it will be busy
over the weekend, particularly if you want to go to the normal
fleshpots. However, I expect that you will get in, although it may not
be your first choice.

Ian


30 Apr 2007 23:42:33
chrisR
Re: Scum on the sea


"Martin" <me@address.invalid > wrote in message
news:v7jc33hu6mc7n6e522ve50jrsvsvmmoirc@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:24:13 +0100, "Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
> >message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> >> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell
me
> >> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual
at
> >> this time of year).
> >> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
> >>
> >
> >Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
> >holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
> >solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
> >Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem
>
> I blame loose sexual morals and the lack of sea going NHS midwives.
> --
>
> Martin
>

over zealous coming alongside maybe caused the birthing problem ;-)

ChrisR




01 May 2007 01:01:30
Derek Moody
Re: Scum on the sea

In article <4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com >, Duncan Heenan
<URL:mailto:pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk > wrote:
> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me is
> algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at this
> time of year).
> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?

Usually called 'May water.'

It's not filthy brown scum. It's the first part of the food chain kicking
into action as the days lengthen. It's phytoplankton, a mixture of (mostly
microscopic) algae, dinoflagellates, bacteria and all sorts of desirable
growing things. Soon you will be able to scoop out a handful and find
interesting, wriggly, zooplankton amongst it. As the zooplankton population
booms the vegetable part will be eaten and then the sea is ready for the
first of the fish fry to hatch...

And so the seasons roll around.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/



01 May 2007 01:26:40
virgin
Re: Scum on the sea

hi
im not sure about the sea scum but the river scum around here usually own
Brooms or some other penis replacement large cruiser..

fragged

"Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk > wrote in
message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at
> this time of year).
> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>
>
>
>





01 May 2007 06:59:32
Pete
Re: Scum on the sea



ian@atsandelldot.codot.uk wrote:

>>
>>Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
>>holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
>>solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
>>Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem, a lot of folk aren't
>>happy about 25 tons of steel rafting alongside.
>
>
> Unless the weather takes a sudden turn for the worst, it will be busy
> over the weekend, particularly if you want to go to the normal
> fleshpots. However, I expect that you will get in, although it may not
> be your first choice.
>
> Ian
I fear that you've missed your chance. I've had five trips so far this
year, from one to three days out. The Solent has been bliss, an utterly
different experience from sunny summer weekends. Examples: twice into
Newtown and been almost the only boat afloat, twice up the Beaulieu and
been the only boat moving, one of only two boats on Lymington town quay,
and last week, one of only two boats on the visitors buoys at Itchenor
and arrived at an empty land-joined pontoon at the Folly. Admittedly
these have all been mid week trips, but I can't be the only retired
sailor in the south, so why are the rest so reticent about going out at
this time of the year? The've all missed a treat!



01 May 2007 08:50:15
Dennis Pogson
Re: Scum on the sea

Derek Moody wrote:
> In article <4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
> <URL:mailto:pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people
>> tell me is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer
>> than usual at this time of year).
>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>
> Usually called 'May water.'
>
> It's not filthy brown scum. It's the first part of the food chain
> kicking into action as the days lengthen. It's phytoplankton, a
> mixture of (mostly microscopic) algae, dinoflagellates, bacteria and
> all sorts of desirable growing things. Soon you will be able to
> scoop out a handful and find interesting, wriggly, zooplankton
> amongst it. As the zooplankton population booms the vegetable part
> will be eaten and then the sea is ready for the first of the fish fry
> to hatch...
>
> And so the seasons roll around.
>
> Cheerio,

Dinoflagellates? Is that a new name for shit?




01 May 2007 10:59:17
Martin
Re: Scum on the sea

On Tue, 01 May 2007 08:50:15 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
<dennis_nospampogson@ntlworld.com > wrote:

>Derek Moody wrote:
>> In article <4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
>> <URL:mailto:pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people
>>> tell me is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer
>>> than usual at this time of year).
>>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>>
>> Usually called 'May water.'
>>
>> It's not filthy brown scum. It's the first part of the food chain
>> kicking into action as the days lengthen. It's phytoplankton, a
>> mixture of (mostly microscopic) algae, dinoflagellates, bacteria and
>> all sorts of desirable growing things. Soon you will be able to
>> scoop out a handful and find interesting, wriggly, zooplankton
>> amongst it. As the zooplankton population booms the vegetable part
>> will be eaten and then the sea is ready for the first of the fish fry
>> to hatch...
>>
>> And so the seasons roll around.
>>
>> Cheerio,
>
>Dinoflagellates? Is that a new name for shit?
>

If it sticks, yes.
--

Martin



01 May 2007 12:26:29
Duncan Heenan
Re: Scum on the sea


"Nigel" <jassira53@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:4636344f$0$19263$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
>
> "Duncan Heenan" <pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
>> is algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual
>> at this time of year).
>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>>
>
> Is the solent busy yet.? I was thinking of spending the coming bank
> holiday bumbling around the solent. I keep my boat in Poole, and the
> solent is a good weekend destination when it's not to crowded. I have a
> Roberts 53ft and overnight births can be a problem, a lot of folk aren't
> happy about 25 tons of steel rafting alongside.
Yes it is very busy. But I was in Poole last weekend and that was equally
busy.




01 May 2007 12:28:22
Duncan Heenan
Re: Scum on the sea


"Derek Moody" <derek.moody@clara.net > wrote in message
news:ant010030dc4BxcK@strongarm.dereks.pad...
> In article <4635e84f$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
> <URL:mailto:pleasenospammersduncanheenan@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> The Solent at the moment is filthy with brown scum, which people tell me
>> is
>> algae due to the warm weather (the sea is 2 - 3 oC warmer than usual at
>> this
>> time of year).
>> Is this happening elsewhere around the UK?
>
> Usually called 'May water.'
>
> It's not filthy brown scum. It's the first part of the food chain kicking
> into action as the days lengthen. It's phytoplankton, a mixture of
> (mostly
> microscopic) algae, dinoflagellates, bacteria and all sorts of desirable
> growing things. Soon you will be able to scoop out a handful and find
> interesting, wriggly, zooplankton amongst it. As the zooplankton
> population
> booms the vegetable part will be eaten and then the sea is ready for the
> first of the fish fry to hatch...
>
> And so the seasons roll around.
>
> Cheerio,
>
> --
> Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
> Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
> uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
> http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/


A sensible answer at last! Many thanks.