01 Nov 2003 16:41:18
martin
Taylor stoves - new prices

In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.

T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
--
Martin

02 Nov 2003 12:11:16
Jassira
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

"martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl > wrote in message
> In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.
>
> T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
> T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
> T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
> http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
> --
> Martin

I thought mail speed was a reputable company....sad to see them spamming
newsgroups

02 Nov 2003 13:33:29
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:11:16 -0000, "Jassira"
<nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com > wrote:

>"martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.
>>
>> T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
>> T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
>> T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
>> http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
>> --
>> Martin
>
>I thought mail speed was a reputable company....sad to see them spamming
>newsgroups

They didn't. I posted the info for somebody, who asked about the
price of a second hand Taylor stove. If you had followed the thread
you would have realised.
--
Martin

02 Nov 2003 12:50:27
River Tramp
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

Martin

As you know, I'm a big fan of Taylor Parafin stoves (mines the model 30),
but in our trip back from Ipswich to the Thames the other week, I found a
disadvantage in that the crew, despite repeated intructional
sessions,couldn't get to grips with how to light the burners.
The only way to get a brew going or some bacon sandwiches was to do it
myself!

IanC

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:11:16 -0000, "Jassira"
> <nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com> wrote:
>

> >"martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> >> In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.
> >>
> >> T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
> >> T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
> >> T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
> >> http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
> >> --
> >> Martin
> >
> >I thought mail speed was a reputable company....sad to see them spamming
> >newsgroups
>

> They didn't. I posted the info for somebody, who asked about the
> price of a second hand Taylor stove. If you had followed the thread
> you would have realised.
> --
> Martin

02 Nov 2003 14:29:13
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:50:27 -0000, "River Tramp"
<ianc@binnacle-design.co.uk > wrote:

>Martin
>
>As you know, I'm a big fan of Taylor Parafin stoves (mines the model 30),
>but in our trip back from Ipswich to the Thames the other week, I found a
>disadvantage in that the crew, despite repeated intructional
>sessions,couldn't get to grips with how to light the burners.

My wife has only lit ours once in three years and then just to show
that she could.
She prefers the excuse that only I can cope with the lighting, so that
she can get coffee in bed

>The only way to get a brew going or some bacon sandwiches was to do it
>myself!

I hope you only made enough for yourself! :-)

These prematurely aged roughty-toughty boaters that you mix with need
some incentive to learn :-)

It's odd how 40-50 years ago every kid who went camping could cope
with a Primus/Optimus/Monitor stove, which was much more difficult to
light of conditions were windy. I bet they can't light Tilley lamps
either :-)

Have you sorted out why Taylor stoves take comparatively long to boil
a kettle of water compared to gas?
--
Martin

02 Nov 2003 14:21:38
drew
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

"martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl > wrote in message
> In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.
>
> T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
> T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
> T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
> http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
> --
> Martin

Thanks Martin
It makes 200 look reasonable for a used one

cheers drew

02 Nov 2003 15:55:54
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:21:38 -0000, "drew" <Drew@xyz.com > wrote:

>"martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> In the current PBO in a Mailspeed Advt.
>>
>> T028 UKP609 two burner hob+grill
>> T029 UKP729 two burner hob+small oven max temp 140DegC
>> T030 UKP979 two burner hob+grill+ *real* oven with dedicated burner.
>> http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/fastresults.asp?txtfast_search=GALLEY
>> --
>> Martin
>
>Thanks Martin
>It makes 200 look reasonable for a used one

I think it's good value I paid UKP300, plus the cost of two new
burners, for what was probably a ten year old one, three or four years
ago. I'd buy it.
--
Martin

02 Nov 2003 16:44:19
River Tramp
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

> Have you sorted out why Taylor stoves take comparatively long to boil
> a kettle of water compared to gas?
> --

No, it one of the mysteries of life. On the other hand, I can put the
kettle in the morning and then have a lie in for half an hour!

IanC

02 Nov 2003 18:00:47
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:44:19 -0000, "River Tramp"
<ianc@binnacle-design.co.uk > wrote:

>> Have you sorted out why Taylor stoves take comparatively long to boil
>> a kettle of water compared to gas?
>> --
>
>No, it one of the mysteries of life.

I think that the distance between the burner and the base of the
kettle is too great. I don;t see what one can do about it.

I have the final model of Optimus boat stove in the garage but no
gimbal or pan clamp. I think I'll do some measurements on boiling
times using it. The time should be the same as it uses the same
burners. I was given it a few weeks after I bought the Taylor stove
second hand.

> On the other hand, I can put the
>kettle in the morning and then have a lie in for half an hour!

:-)

ours kettle has a whistle that sounds like the QE2.
--
Martin

03 Nov 2003 10:05:24

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 16:44:19 -0000, "River Tramp"
> <ianc@binnacle-design.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >> Have you sorted out why Taylor stoves take comparatively long to boil
> >> a kettle of water compared to gas?
> >> --
> >
> >No, it one of the mysteries of life.
>
> I think that the distance between the burner and the base of the
> kettle is too great. I don;t see what one can do about it.
>
> I have the final model of Optimus boat stove in the garage but no
> gimbal or pan clamp. I think I'll do some measurements on boiling
> times using it. The time should be the same as it uses the same
> burners. I was given it a few weeks after I bought the Taylor stove
> second hand.
>
> > On the other hand, I can put the
> >kettle in the morning and then have a lie in for half an hour!
>
> :-)
>
> ours kettle has a whistle that sounds like the QE2.
> --
> Martin

Would you like to put some figures on this
ie: how long does it take to boil a pint of water, we could assume the water
temp will be about the same given that your tanks will be at sea water
temperature ish.
I have Taylor 30L, I'll report back.

03 Nov 2003 10:08:05
Jassira
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

> They didn't. I posted the info for somebody, who asked about the
> price of a second hand Taylor stove. If you had followed the thread
> you would have realised.
> --
> Martin

It appears in my browser (yep the crappy one that half the world uses) as a
new thread, I guess others will see it the same

04 Nov 2003 00:01:19
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0000, "Jassira"
<nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com > wrote:

>Would you like to put some figures on this
>ie: how long does it take to boil a pint of water, we could assume the =
water
>temp will be about the same given that your tanks will be at sea water
>temperature ish.
>I have Taylor 30L, I'll report back.

My boat is out of the water for the winter now and there is no water
in the drinking water system. Maybe Ian Clarke can make a measurement?
--=20
Martin

04 Nov 2003 00:02:41
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:08:05 -0000, "Jassira"
<nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com > wrote:

>> They didn't. I posted the info for somebody, who asked about the
>> price of a second hand Taylor stove. If you had followed the thread
>> you would have realised.

>It appears in my browser (yep the crappy one that half the world uses) =
as a
>new thread, I guess others will see it the same

Yes I realised afterwards sorry!

--=20
Martin

04 Nov 2003 12:07:03
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:01:19 +0100, martin <martinp@wanadoo.nl > wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0000, "Jassira"
><nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com> wrote:
>
>>Would you like to put some figures on this
>>ie: how long does it take to boil a pint of water, we could assume the =
water
>>temp will be about the same given that your tanks will be at sea water
>>temperature ish.
>>I have Taylor 30L, I'll report back.
>
>My boat is out of the water for the winter now and there is no water
>in the drinking water system. Maybe Ian Clarke can make a measurement?

Another bit of price information, if you want to upgrade from the old
standard small fuel tank to a 1.5 gallon fuel tank it will *only* cost
UKP183 !!!!
--=20
Martin

04 Nov 2003 11:39:30

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:01:19 +0100, martin <martinp@wanadoo.nl > wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:05:24 -0000, "Jassira"
><nigelremovethiscrapinthemiddle@jassira.com> wrote:
>
>>Would you like to put some figures on this
>>ie: how long does it take to boil a pint of water, we could assume the
water
>>temp will be about the same given that your tanks will be at sea water
>>temperature ish.
>>I have Taylor 30L, I'll report back.
>
>My boat is out of the water for the winter now and there is no water
>in the drinking water system. Maybe Ian Clarke can make a measurement?

Another bit of price information, if you want to upgrade from the old
standard small fuel tank to a 1.5 gallon fuel tank it will *only* cost
UKP183 !!!!
--
Martin

What a bargain....... think I'll get 2

I enquired about the price of their loo once......forget exactly, but if my
memory serves correctly it's over a grand, I decided I quite liked the ones
with a plastic pump

06 Nov 2003 11:26:04
Catherine Jemma
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

According to something I read on the US based
www.cruising.sailingcourse.com etc etc follow the links for galley etc

..."...Alcohol burns with a cooler flame than propane/lpg/cng
..."...therefore takes longer for your kettle to boil, mate

Note that *alcohol*, *spirit* and *Meths* are different names for basically
the same thing

I remember being told by a dragracing freak once that alcohol has about one
quarter of the *calorific* value of petrol

Therefore a car that does say 40 mpg on petrol would do only 10 mpg if
appropriately re-jetted to run on alcohol

Maybe one can put petrol in your metho stove and get 4 times the heat out of
it, that'd boil your kettle real fast.

Me-thinks though, that doing such activity would cause a huge explosion, and
you'd probably spend the next few weeks in the burns unit at the local
hospital, still I guess the nurses would bring you a cup of tea from time to
time !

cheers from

Cath, of Western Australia.......novice.....using the web to learn about
sailing......just read about the different types of stoves yesterday

06 Nov 2003 10:00:26
Jassira
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

"Catherine Jemma" <no@spam > wrote in message
> According to something I read on the US based
> www.cruising.sailingcourse.com etc etc follow the links for galley etc
>
> ..."...Alcohol burns with a cooler flame than propane/lpg/cng
> ..."...therefore takes longer for your kettle to boil, mate
>
> Note that *alcohol*, *spirit* and *Meths* are different names for
basically
> the same thing
>
> I remember being told by a dragracing freak once that alcohol has about
one
> quarter of the *calorific* value of petrol
>
> Therefore a car that does say 40 mpg on petrol would do only 10 mpg if
> appropriately re-jetted to run on alcohol
>
> Maybe one can put petrol in your metho stove and get 4 times the heat out
of
> it, that'd boil your kettle real fast.
>
> Me-thinks though, that doing such activity would cause a huge explosion,
and
> you'd probably spend the next few weeks in the burns unit at the local
> hospital, still I guess the nurses would bring you a cup of tea from time
> time !
>

> cheers from
>
> Cath, of Western Australia.......novice.....using the web to learn about
> sailing......just read about the different types of stoves yesterday

The Taylors stove is a paraffin primus, it only uses meths to heat the
paraffin before lighting. I use a gas blowlamp to light mine cos it's much
quicker, but it seem a bit ironic, the main reason I wanted a paraffin stove
was so I wouldn't need to have gas onboard
http://www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk/prod02.htm

07 Nov 2003 11:41:14
Catherine Jemma
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

Thanks for the clarification regarding "Taylor" brand stoves fuel.

Note that when you (UK folks) say "Parrafin" (sp?) that's what we in
Australia and NewZealand call "(Lighting) kerosene"

What we call Parrafin is a medicine which is safe to swallow.....not used
much nowadays, one from our grnadparent's times, but still available

"Power kerosene" hasn't been available for decades. Many tractors came with
factory fitment to start on petrol then change to power kero when warmed up

During the WW2, to beat strict petrol rationing, some cars were run on power
kero

It is possible to modify cars and run them on lighting kero, but the car
runs like a sack of shite and it's not good for the motor.....I know,
because a friend and I did it in 1979 (despite all the knockers who said
it'd never work) when the NZ govt brought in various draconian new laws to
supposedly save petrol (petrol stations only allowed to be open office type
hours Mon to Fri and closed at all other times, and closed all day Sat and
Sun, and every car had to display a coloured sticker near it's annual
registration sticker, advising of your nominated "car-less day" a day on
which you fully registered and road legal car, wasn't allowed to be used
(unless you had a valid exemption) Me and my friends all lived in country
areas and used our cars for work, so we had a valid exemption sticker (for
travelling directly to and from work only) Obviously I chose a work day as
my car-less day, knowing I could get an exemption. Well I wasn't going to
sabotage my weekend by throwing away the use of my car on Saturday or
Sunday, was I !

Vehicles fuelled by kerosene could still fill up at the only nominated
petrol station that was still allowed open 7 days 24 hours, (in order to
fuel up taxis, which were exempt from the rules)

Within a year the govt had cancelled the new laws.

Mmm, 2003 and what does the USA do......."We'll just invade IRAQ and steal
all their oil-wells, and give them to Vice President Dick Chaney's old
company..." I guess it saves the US having to economise on fossil fuels
eh. A small tax on their petrol/diesel would encourage consumers to save
fuel, therefore no theft of Iraqi oil needed, plus the funds raised could
help the US economy, say education/hospitals/drug and alcohol and crime
prevention programs etc

Oh no sorry, that's too much of a good idea, eh !

........back to cookers, for boaties, I've digressed and waffled on long
enough

cheers

cheers

07 Nov 2003 12:18:19
Ronald Raygun
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

Catherine Jemma wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification regarding "Taylor" brand stoves fuel.
>
> Note that when you (UK folks) say "Parrafin" (sp?) that's what we in
> Australia and NewZealand call "(Lighting) kerosene"
>
> What we call Parrafin is a medicine which is safe to swallow.....not used
> much nowadays, one from our grnadparent's times, but still available

UK paraffin is US kerosene. US paraffin is candle wax.

> "Power kerosene" hasn't been available for decades.

So what's the difference between lighting kero and power kero?

07 Nov 2003 12:56:39
Tony of Judicious
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

Ronald Raygun wrote:

ower kerosene" hasn't been available for decades.

> So what's the difference between lighting kero and power kero?

In my youth we had a petrol engine that could run on TVO (Tractor Vapourising
Oil) - but had to be started on petrol

TVO is more volatile than lighting kero. see:

http://www.holland-brand.co.uk/infofiles/TVO.asp

07 Nov 2003 15:21:47
Floatything
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

"Tony of Judicious" <tony@deletethis.thoward.plus.com > wrote in message
> Ronald Raygun wrote:
>
> ower kerosene" hasn't been available for decades.
> >
> > So what's the difference between lighting kero and power kero?
>
> In my youth we had a petrol engine that could run on TVO (Tractor
Vapourising
> Oil) - but had to be started on petrol

(snip)
At least two of us on this group have Watermota 'Shrimp' engines that run on
paraffin - similarly they need to be started on petrol then switched over
once the engine is hot.
Chris Floaty Thing

07 Nov 2003 23:47:11
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:41:14 +0800, "Catherine Jemma" <no@spam > wrote:

>Thanks for the clarification regarding "Taylor" brand stoves fuel.
>
>Note that when you (UK folks) say "Parrafin" (sp?) that's what we in
>Australia and NewZealand call "(Lighting) kerosene"

Paraffin=3DKerosine=3DPetroleum=3D...

>What we call Parrafin is a medicine which is safe to swallow.....not =
used
>much nowadays, one from our grnadparent's times, but still available
>
>"Power kerosene" hasn't been available for decades. Many tractors came =
with
>factory fitment to start on petrol then change to power kero when warmed=
up

>During the WW2, to beat strict petrol rationing, some cars were run on =
power
>kero
>
>It is possible to modify cars and run them on lighting kero, but the car
>runs like a sack of shite=20

You Oz gals have a way with words :-)
--=20
Martin

07 Nov 2003 23:48:15
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:56:39 +0000, Tony of Judicious
<tony@deletethis.thoward.plus.com > wrote:

>Ronald Raygun wrote:
>
>ower kerosene" hasn't been available for decades.
>>=20
>> So what's the difference between lighting kero and power kero?
>
>In my youth we had a petrol engine that could run on TVO (Tractor =
Vapourising
>Oil) - but had to be started on petrol
>
>TVO is more volatile than lighting kero. see:
>
>http://www.holland-brand.co.uk/infofiles/TVO.asp

There are narrow boat owners who are proud to use such engines.
--=20
Martin

07 Nov 2003 23:52:22
martin
Re: Taylor stoves - new prices

How to get a Taylor T029 max specified temp 150DegC to roast chicken
by Joe Smith...

"So to the meat of the subject. I sealed up the gap between the cast
iron top
and the stainless sides with some fire proof rope that i use to seal
up pot belly stove chimneys.
Also put a piece either side of the hinged door to seal up the gaps
there. Put a sheet of tin foil over the entire top above the fiddle
rail. I found that the top must be able to vent so put the foil here
to reflect the heat back down into the oven while allowing air in for
combustion. I set the burners to mid range and stuck four good sized
chicken legs in, in a baking tray.
Left it for twenty minutes and then turned them over for twenty mins
and then back over for a further twenty mins.
Cooked perfect!
Very tasty and did not spit fat everywhere. No hint of paraffin
either."
--=20
Martin