04 Nov 2003 06:47:56
Ric
fixing ST4000+ wheel actuator autohelm

The wheel actuator on my pilot keeps dropping the engagement lever.
Raymarine tell me that this is because the "internal belt" needs tightening.
But as usual for Rayamrine, they advise me to "send it to my local Raymarine
dealer" for repair. Well bugger them. Anybody here know how to do this?

04 Nov 2003 11:40:14
Chris
Re: fixing ST4000+ wheel actuator autohelm

"Ric" <spam@off.com > wrote in message
: The wheel actuator on my pilot keeps dropping the engagement lever.
: Raymarine tell me that this is because the "internal belt" needs
tightening.
: But as usual for Rayamrine, they advise me to "send it to my local
Raymarine
: dealer" for repair. Well bugger them. Anybody here know how to do this?

well you get him first to take down his pants and bend over ! Sorry but I
couldnt resist

04 Nov 2003 13:29:05
Graham Frankland
Re: fixing ST4000+ wheel actuator autohelm

"Ric" <spam@off.com > wrote in message
> The wheel actuator on my pilot keeps dropping the engagement lever.
> Raymarine tell me that this is because the "internal belt" needs
tightening.
> But as usual for Rayamrine, they advise me to "send it to my local
Raymarine
> dealer" for repair. Well bugger them. Anybody here know how to do this?

The two halves of the case prise apart with a couple of screwdrivers or thin
coins or, sometimes even by hand. A quick look inside will show how it all
works.

The belt tensioner is adjusted through the pedestal side of the case and
it's located near the motor but if the belt is very stretched/worn you will
need to fit a new one.
Also, if the two halves of the case feel sloppy when fitted together, you
may need to replace the wheels.

While you have it stripped, it's worth cleaning and relubricating the
gearbox.

Graham.

04 Nov 2003 15:18:43
Ric

"Graham Frankland" <gdfltdatnospamglobalnet.co.uk > wrote in message
> The two halves of the case prise apart with a couple of screwdrivers or
thin
> coins or, sometimes even by hand. A quick look inside will show how it
all
> works.

Thanks I will try that. I couldn't figure out how to open it up and didn't
want to try force. I'll be fine now I know how it comes apart.

What do you use to lubricate the gearbox?

04 Nov 2003 20:52:46
Graham Frankland

> "Graham Frankland" <gdfltdatnospamglobalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The two halves of the case prise apart with a couple of screwdrivers or
> thin
> > coins or, sometimes even by hand. A quick look inside will show how it
> all
> > works.
>
> Thanks I will try that. I couldn't figure out how to open it up and didn't
> want to try force. I'll be fine now I know how it comes apart.

One half of the case has a set of wheels, the edges of which are just proud
of the lip - these run on the inside rim of the other cover. A slight lip
stops the two halves falling apart.

> What do you use to lubricate the gearbox?

IIRC (it's a while ago) I used silicone lubricant.

Graham.