03 Aug 2004 00:52:41
david millings
parts for Arona engines

I hope this information will be of use to someone. My boat has a 2
cylinder Arona diesel engine. I was told by numerous parties that no
parts were available for this engine. By numerous parties Im talking
about importers/agents/engineers/surveyors etc. Anyway I didnt give up
and lo and behold I found out the engine was merely a Lombardini with
a water jacket. This is true for a number of Arona engines. If anyone
wants any more info e mail me and Ill point them in the right
direction (hopefully).
Dave Millings

03 Aug 2004 22:35:27
Boudewijn
Re: parts for Arona engines

david millings wrote:
> I hope this information will be of use to someone. My boat has a 2
> cylinder Arona diesel engine. I was told by numerous parties that no
> parts were available for this engine. By numerous parties Im talking
> about importers/agents/engineers/surveyors etc. Anyway I didnt give up
> and lo and behold I found out the engine was merely a Lombardini with
> a water jacket. This is true for a number of Arona engines. If anyone
> wants any more info e mail me and Ill point them in the right
> direction (hopefully).
> Dave Millings
Hi Dave,

this is surely of use to me, good to hear of Lombardini.

I have a 1 cyl 9 HP Solé = Stuart-Turner in a Morgan Giles 30, 1975 or
so, also with Lombardini rotating parts. Arona was selling then as well
here in Holland.
Solé agents (they change a lot, Dordrecht, Katwijk, Nijmegen, Almere)
here in Holland also love to sell new engines, and pretend not to know
of older stuff. Just rebuilt your boat, propshaft and so on to the
measures and rpm's to the whims of the latest engine. If there will be
parts for that new Solé engine in 5 years time? Probably not, buying a
new one is better for the agent of the time.
Solé Spain recently started mentioning the old stuff on their website
though. Maybe spare parts will follow?
Do not count on too much Arona service here. But you seem to be sorted out.

My engine compression is going down, though it still starts and runs
reasonably. I avoid to run it on too much throttle.

A source of original rings, pistons or rotating parts would be most welcome.
I am planning dismantling, exploration, rebuilding next winter. Got
pretty good documentation.
Engine looks uncomplicated enough for DIY, perhaps with some help from
the local village smith: cast iron, direct injection, Condiesel=Bosch
fuel pump.

And do not worry too much on Dutch paperwork, passports of the crew and
proof of ownership is ample. Proof of insurance is nice if there is a
mishap. Do visit IJmuiden, Jonkheer Six Haven in the center of Amsterdam
and on to the the IJsselmeer.
I plan to be there 2nd half of August.

Remember, we keep to the right side of the waterways :-)

mvg Boudewijn

03 Aug 2004 22:42:21
martin
Re: parts for Arona engines

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:35:27 +0200, Boudewijn <vd.drift@hccnet.nl >
wrote:

>Remember, we keep to the right side of the waterways :-)

If only you all did :-)

--
Martin