21 Nov 2007 03:21:32
Richard Dixon
The usual pre-series warm up

England getting thumped around the park:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm

Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*

Richard

21 Nov 2007 15:52:55
Luke Curtis
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:21:32 -0800 (PST), Richard Dixon
<rdngemail@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

>England getting thumped around the park:
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm
>
>Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*
>
>Richard
6 overs and only 1 wide?

That has to be kind of record for Harmison this year - granted 6 NB
but that will come fairly easily....

I assume his bowling boots turned up then - they got lost in transit!!
-

Got unwanted CDs, DVDs & Games?
www.swapshop.co.uk/default.aspx?referrerid=b788c9b0-70e7-4192-91cc-d549e513f0bf

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

21 Nov 2007 18:35:35
Graybags
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

> I assume his bowling boots turned up then - they got lost in transit!!

Apparently they turned up at the Audit Office, and Harmison got a couple of
CDs, but that's all sorted now.

21 Nov 2007 18:59:59
Paul Hyett
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

In uk.sport.cricket on Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Luke Curtis
<luke@whofan.pNOSPAMlus.com > wrote :
>On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:21:32 -0800 (PST), Richard Dixon
><rdngemail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>England getting thumped around the park:
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm
>>
>>Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*
>>
>>Richard
>6 overs and only 1 wide?
>
>That has to be kind of record for Harmison this year - granted 6 NB
>but that will come fairly easily....
>
>I assume his bowling boots turned up then - they got lost in transit!!

Looks like he'd have done better bowling in bare feet! :)
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

21 Nov 2007 23:21:21
Dave Cornwell

"Paul Hyett" <pah@invalid.invalid > wrote in message
> In uk.sport.cricket on Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Luke Curtis
> <luke@whofan.pNOSPAMlus.com> wrote :
>>On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:21:32 -0800 (PST), Richard Dixon
>><rdngemail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>England getting thumped around the park:
>>>
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm
>>>
>>>Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*
------------------------------

" I was pleased with my performance" said Steve.
Yeah, well done Steve.

Dave

22 Nov 2007 09:46:39
Robert Henderson
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

In message
<ee7f4667-9b39-44ea-a5c5-9073401d9378@b32g2000hsa.googlegroups.com >,
Richard Dixon <rdngemail@yahoo.co.uk > writes
>England getting thumped around the park:
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/default.stm
>
>Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*
>
>Richard

Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
to bowl accurately? RH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/

22 Nov 2007 02:48:44
Gavin Cawley
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

On Nov 22, 9:46 am, Robert Henderson <phi...@anywhere.demon.co.uk >
wrote:
> In message
> <ee7f4667-9b39-44ea-a5c5-9073401d9...@b32g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
> Richard Dixon <rdngem...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>
> >England getting thumped around the park:
>
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/latest_scorecard/defa...
>
> >Harmison 6-0-48-0 *wince*
>
> >Richard
>
> Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
> to bowl accurately? RH

bit of a statement of the bleedin' obvious, at least we now know that
Harmison is aware of it himself.

Might be a better bowler now if he hadn't had the purple patch
(against weakish teams) a couple of years ago.

22 Nov 2007 04:18:27
Richard Dixon
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

On 22 Nov, 09:46, Robert Henderson <phi...@anywhere.demon.co.uk >
wrote:

> Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
> to bowl accurately? RH

*double wince*

The man is an embarrassment. Still - at least he can console himself
that he's not an English footballer.

*treble wince*

Richard

22 Nov 2007 05:38:48
Gavin Cawley

On Nov 22, 12:18 pm, Richard Dixon <rdngem...@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:
> On 22 Nov, 09:46, Robert Henderson <phi...@anywhere.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
> > to bowl accurately? RH
>
> *double wince*
>
> The man is an embarrassment. Still - at least he can console himself
> that he's not an English footballer.
>
> *treble wince*

I really hope Broad isn't kept out of the side in favour of
Harmless'n :-(

It seems to me that the home nation has a fair bit to gain by playing
tour warm up games on very flat pitches (e.g. seven wickets *taken* in
three days over 220 overs) to make sure they are not competitive. I
haven't looked back at the scorecards, but I suspect this isn't the
first in recent years.

24 Nov 2007 18:30:47
Robert Henderson

<01610f01-5cf6-4116-aeae-4322c5f979f1@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com >,
Gavin Cawley <GavinCawley@googlemail.com > writes

>> >Richard
>>
>> Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
>> to bowl accurately? RH
>
>bit of a statement of the bleedin' obvious, at least we now know that
>Harmison is aware of it himself.
>
>Might be a better bowler now if he hadn't had the purple patch (against
>weakish teams) a couple of years ago.

Ah, the GEDi "mind" at full throttle. RH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal website: http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

25 Nov 2007 01:19:12
Gavin Cawley
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

On Nov 24, 6:30 pm, Robert Henderson <phi...@anywhere.demon.co.uk >
wrote:
> In message
> <01610f01-5cf6-4116-aeae-4322c5f97...@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
> Gavin Cawley <GavinCaw...@googlemail.com> writes

> >> Did you hear him whining about not having an action which allowed him
> >> to bowl accurately? RH
>
> >bit of a statement of the bleedin' obvious, at least we now know that
> >Harmison is aware of it himself.
>
> >Might be a better bowler now if he hadn't had the purple patch (against
> >weakish teams) a couple of years ago.
>
> Ah, the GEDi "mind" at full throttle. RH

Sorry Robert, that one barely registers on the troll-o-meter, well
below your median ;-)

25 Nov 2007 11:08:38
Richard Dixon
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

Gavin Cawley <GavinCawley@googlemail.com > wrote in news:8431775a-eeb0-4121-
a96a-4af7caaab7b5@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> I really hope Broad isn't kept out of the side in favour of
> Harmless'n :-(

Fortunately he's just left the field with a back spasm in the latest
game...

Richard

25 Nov 2007 13:43:36
David Lewis

> a96a-4af7caaab7b5@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I really hope Broad isn't kept out of the side in favour of
> > Harmless'n :-(
>
> Fortunately he's just left the field with a back spasm in the latest
> game...

So where does that leave us for the 1st test? Vaughan, Cook, Bell, KP &
Collingwood are the top 5, with Shah or Bopara at 6. I suppose Prior will
play. Then Hoggard & Panesar are definites, Sidebottom is probably a
definite too, which leaves us either Anderson or Broad. Now if only Murali
could collect a minor injury to keep him out for the next few weeks, then we
might have a chance.

David

25 Nov 2007 19:54:17
Luke Curtis
Re: The usual pre-series warm up

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:43:36 GMT, "David Lewis"
<dandjlewis@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote:

>"Richard Dixon" <rdngemail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Gavin Cawley <GavinCawley@googlemail.com> wrote in
>> a96a-4af7caaab7b5@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > I really hope Broad isn't kept out of the side in favour of
>> > Harmless'n :-(
>>
>> Fortunately he's just left the field with a back spasm in the latest
>> game...
>>
>So where does that leave us for the 1st test? Vaughan, Cook, Bell, KP &
>Collingwood are the top 5, with Shah or Bopara at 6. I suppose Prior will
>play. Then Hoggard & Panesar are definites, Sidebottom is probably a
>definite too, which leaves us either Anderson or Broad. Now if only Murali
>could collect a minor injury to keep him out for the next few weeks, then we
>might have a chance.

I would go for Bopara over Shah for his bowling which pretty good in
the ODI series.

In the bowling department I personally would go for Anderson, it is a
very close call but he has the experience having played in that area
of the world a couple of times.

Before Harmisons injury it was at least heartening to see no wides,
only 1 no-ball and reports of gradually increasing quality and speed
of bowling...

-

Got unwanted CDs, DVDs & Games?
www.swapshop.co.uk/default.aspx?referrerid=b788c9b0-70e7-4192-91cc-d549e513f0bf

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)

26 Nov 2007 01:38:08
Richard Dixon

On 25 Nov, 19:54, Luke Curtis <l...@whofan.pNOSPAMlus.com > wrote:

> I would go for Bopara over Shah for his bowling which pretty good in
> the ODI series.

Well he was just about the only bit of resistance (along with Cook)
we've put up in our woeful batting reply. Laughable. I know we're
adjusting to the conditions, but that's your lot guys - you've got a
test on Saturday.

Richard

26 Nov 2007 02:21:44
Richard Dixon

On 25 Nov, 13:43, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk > wrote:

> Now if only Murali
> could collect a minor injury to keep him out for the next few weeks, then we
> might have a chance.

No - but Anderson's managed to. Will this propel Broad into the side?

Cheers
Richard

26 Nov 2007 04:06:39
Richard Dixon

On 26 Nov, 09:38, Richard Dixon <rdngem...@yahoo.co.uk > wrote:

> Well he was just about the only bit of resistance (along with Cook)
> we've put up in our woeful batting reply. Laughable. I know we're
> adjusting to the conditions, but that's your lot guys - you've got a
> test on Saturday.

And thank heavens for Mr Reliable - Hoggard !

Richard

26 Nov 2007 20:31:03
David Lewis

> On 25 Nov, 13:43, "David Lewis" <dandjle...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Now if only Murali
> > could collect a minor injury to keep him out for the next few weeks,
then we
> > might have a chance.
>
> No - but Anderson's managed to. Will this propel Broad into the side?

Probably. IIRC Anderson also picked up a niggle in the nets at the start of
the tour, so I can't see him being risked. Kandy's the most seam friendly
track there, so they're probably just play the one spinner, which brings in
young Broad.

David