26 Nov 2006 12:31:28
G-Man
Best horse in the world wins the Japan Cup

From the Racing Post:

DEEP IMPACT bounced back to form in scintillating fashion on Sunday to claim
the Japan Cup by two lengths, with Ouija Board running a gallant race in
third.
After initially finishing third in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe before
being disqualified, Yasuo Ikee's four-year-old proved he is not the spent
force some were suggesting.

Ridden as usual by Yutake Take, hold-up tactics were once again employed
after the experiment of riding him up with the pace at Longchamp proved
something of a failure.

Frankie Dettori settled Ouija Board just in front of the Japanese champion
but showing his customary surge in the straight, Deep Impact swept past all
of his rivals to take the lead.

Ouija Board stuck to her task gallantly and looked as if she may claim
second for a while but she was run out of it in the closing stages by Dream
Passport.

Heart's Cry, third in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes
at Ascot on his last start, could only finish tenth.

Deep Impact is now set to have one more run in the Arima Kinen on Christmas
Eve before beginning a career at stud.

Ouija Board is set to travel to Hong Kong to contest the Hong Kong Vase next
month which will bring the curtain down on her glorious career.

Dettori had no excuses in the aftermath and he was full of praise for the
winner.

"She ran really well. She exerted her best but the long uphill stretch was a
bit too tough for her. She seemed to tire in the last 100 metres," said
Dettori.

"She is still the best mare in the world and so the winner would naturally
bethe best horse in the world."

Despite this being Deep Impact's sixth win at the highest level, his trainer
Ikee admitted he still gets a thrill seeing him in action.

"Although I had won a number of Group 1 races before, I had never felt like
I did when Deep Impact gave his usual 'flying' charge after the final
furlong pole," said Ikee.

"I felt so much gratitude towards him and I was greatly moved by his
performance today.

"Coming back from France and going through quarantine, he may nothave put as
much weight back on, and training towards this race, he came in to it at his
lightest racing weight. But he had the necessary muscle and he was fit.

"Since the Arc we have been through a lot and it was a testing time for us.
But seeing DeepImpact - who had no knowledge of what was happening around
him - being his usual self, gave me the energy to carry on and I have
learned that even if you are at your lowest, things can turn up again.

"Although the time remaining between myself and DeepImpact is short, I will
go on as always, doing my best to condition him to his best for his finale
in the Arima Kinen."

Take was also thrilled at being able to put his miserable experience of the
Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe behind him.

"I am just overwhelmed," said the rider. "Hearing the fans appreciating his
victory today and being genuinely happy, I feel happy to have done my job as
a jockey and answering to their expectations.

"Not being able to succeed in the Arc was a disappointment for the fans of
course, but even more for the stable staff that had put so much effort in to
the race.

"Knowing how they felt, I was determined to show our fans, once again, his
true form in this race.

"He is usually a nervous horse before the race, but he probably benefited
from his experience in France because he settled well.

"He was slow as usual coming out of the starting stalls but that didn't
worry me as I was able to see the position of the whole field and I was
conscious of Ouija Board who was close to me.

"I concentrated on keeping him relaxed and made sure not to fight him during
the journey.

"Coming round the home turn, Frankie Dettori shifted the mare a little to
the inside which gave me the opportunity to make myintended move to the
outside for my charge - everything worked out my way.

"When I asked him for an effort in the last 700 metres, he responded well
and gave that 'flying' charge - then I knew I had won the race.

"Though I would love to ride him in many more starts, the decision of his
retirement is made and my job is to give my best ride in the Arima Kinen."

Cheers,

G-Man

26 Nov 2006 13:20:35
G-Man
Re: Best horse in the world wins the Japan Cup

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

The Japan Cup can be seen here:

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/Results.asp?RaceDate=26/11/2006&RaceNo=04

Cheers,
G-Man

26 Nov 2006 11:41:14
Warrior steve
Re: Best horse in the world wins the Japan Cup

Excellent camera work! Great angles of the whole race. Thanks for the link.

Steve

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> The Japan Cup can be seen here:
>
> http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/Results.asp?RaceDate=26/11/2006&RaceNo=04
>

> Cheers,
> G-Man

26 Nov 2006 15:57:06
Gen Buck Turgidson
Re: Best horse in the world wins the Japan Cup

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:41:14 -0500, "Warrior steve"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Excellent camera work! Great angles of the whole race. Thanks for the link.
>
>Steve

No shit! That was awesome. Looked more like a movie than a race
replay.

27 Nov 2006 11:52:29
MmCc

On 26 Nov 2006 15:57:06 -0600, Gen Buck Turgidson <[email protected] > wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:41:14 -0500, "Warrior steve"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Excellent camera work! Great angles of the whole race. Thanks for the link.
>>
>>Steve
>
>No shit! That was awesome. Looked more like a movie than a race
>replay.

That type of camera work is the norm for big races in Europe,
Australia, Dubai and Japan.

Go to youtube.com and do a search for any of the big races like
England... King George VI, Derby, Champion Stakes etc
France.... Prix de l'Arc, Prix du Jockey Club etc
Dubai... Dubai World Cup, Sheema Classic etc
Aus... Melbourne Cup, Cox Plate etc
Japan... Tenno Sho, Japan Cup etc

Why the US networks and ESPN haven't copped on is beyond me. Granted
US tracks aren't neccesarily set up for a moving vehicle inside the
rail because of the Truf course, but surely they could do something to
get people right in the action. It would do wonders for the popularity
of racing in my opinion.
The one exception I can think of was the Breeder's Cup in 2000 at
Churchill Downs where NBC used some kind of camera on a track for the
stretch drive. That was really cool. If you got to
http://breederscup.com/bc_timecapsule.aspx
click on 2000 and select the Classic and watch the great duel between
Giant's Causeway and Tiznow. The camera moves with them up the
stretch, makes a great race even more exciting.

27 Nov 2006 17:55:54
Danzig
Re: Best horse on GRASS wins

there are MORE than one surfaces running these days

27 Nov 2006 17:59:25
G-Man
Re: Best horse on GRASS wins

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> there are MORE than one surfaces running these days

You are a really sad individual.

Cheers,
G-Man

27 Nov 2006 12:11:34
MmCc

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:52:29 -0600, MmCc <[email protected] > wrote:

>On 26 Nov 2006 15:57:06 -0600, Gen Buck Turgidson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:41:14 -0500, "Warrior steve"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Excellent camera work! Great angles of the whole race. Thanks for the link.
>>>
>>>Steve
>>
>>No shit! That was awesome. Looked more like a movie than a race
>>replay.
>
>That type of camera work is the norm for big races in Europe,
>Australia, Dubai and Japan.
>
>Go to youtube.com and do a search for any of the big races like
>England... King George VI, Derby, Champion Stakes etc

This year's King George..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_qWZ19Kwb1c

Nassau Stakes (race of the year imho)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iGsUv4TxD8w

>France.... Prix de l'Arc, Prix du Jockey Club etc

Prix de L'Arc 2006...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-t0IC0uF_l4

>Dubai... Dubai World Cup, Sheema Classic etc

Dubai World Cup
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKUDm5ndlnU

>Aus... Melbourne Cup, Cox Plate etc

Melbourne Cup..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=paVeUD6hyko&mode=related&search=

>Japan... Tenno Sho, Japan Cup etc

Tenno Sho (listen to the crowd roar when Deep Impact starts to make
his move from the back)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4WHb80bgIU

Sure makes racing all the more exciting with the up close camera work.

>Why the US networks and ESPN haven't copped on is beyond me. Granted
>US tracks aren't neccesarily set up for a moving vehicle inside the
>rail because of the Truf course, but surely they could do something to
>get people right in the action. It would do wonders for the popularity
>of racing in my opinion.
>The one exception I can think of was the Breeder's Cup in 2000 at
>Churchill Downs where NBC used some kind of camera on a track for the
>stretch drive. That was really cool. If you got to
>http://breederscup.com/bc_timecapsule.aspx
>click on 2000 and select the Classic and watch the great duel between
>Giant's Causeway and Tiznow. The camera moves with them up the
>stretch, makes a great race even more exciting.

27 Nov 2006 12:24:42
MmCc

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:11:34 -0600, MmCc <myemai[email protected] > wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:52:29 -0600, MmCc <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On 26 Nov 2006 15:57:06 -0600, Gen Buck Turgidson <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>No shit! That was awesome. Looked more like a movie than a race
>>>replay.
>>
>>That type of camera work is the norm for big races in Europe,
>>Australia, Dubai and Japan.
>>
>>Go to youtube.com and do a search for any of the big races like
>>England... King George VI, Derby, Champion Stakes etc
>
>This year's King George..
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=_qWZ19Kwb1c
>
>Nassau Stakes (race of the year imho)
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=iGsUv4TxD8w
>
>>France.... Prix de l'Arc, Prix du Jockey Club etc
>
>Prix de L'Arc 2006...
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=-t0IC0uF_l4
>
>>Dubai... Dubai World Cup, Sheema Classic etc
>
>Dubai World Cup
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKUDm5ndlnU

The Sheema Classic.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03BSO0085Lo

About the only way you could get closer would to be on one of the
horses.

>>Aus... Melbourne Cup, Cox Plate etc
>
>Melbourne Cup..
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=paVeUD6hyko&mode=related&search=
>
>>Japan... Tenno Sho, Japan Cup etc
>
>Tenno Sho (listen to the crowd roar when Deep Impact starts to make
>his move from the back)
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4WHb80bgIU
>

>Sure makes racing all the more exciting with the up close camera work.
>

>>Why the US networks and ESPN haven't copped on is beyond me. Granted
>>US tracks aren't neccesarily set up for a moving vehicle inside the
>>rail because of the Truf course, but surely they could do something to
>>get people right in the action. It would do wonders for the popularity
>>of racing in my opinion.
>>The one exception I can think of was the Breeder's Cup in 2000 at
>>Churchill Downs where NBC used some kind of camera on a track for the
>>stretch drive. That was really cool. If you got to
>>http://breederscup.com/bc_timecapsule.aspx
>>click on 2000 and select the Classic and watch the great duel between
>>Giant's Causeway and Tiznow. The camera moves with them up the
>>stretch, makes a great race even more exciting.

27 Nov 2006 18:45:13
Danzig
Re: Best horse on GRASS wins

G-Man wrote:

> "Danzig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> there are MORE than one surfaces running these days
>
> You are a really sad individual.
>
> Cheers,
> G-Man
For pointing out reality???

27 Nov 2006 18:55:51
Danzig
Ah yes reality does't work

fellow says one person is the best driver in the world and their
experience in limited to NASCAR. Can't make that statement as their are
many formula one drivers who are very skilled. SAME THING HERE. This one
would lose big time on the dirt as the style is only suited for the lawn.

This one is a Silky Sullivan and wouldn't get up on the dirt.

calling this one the best has to have that disclaimer.

27 Nov 2006 21:16:59
G-Man
Re: Best horse on GRASS wins

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> G-Man wrote:
>>
>> "Danzig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> there are MORE than one surfaces running these days
>>
>> You are a really sad individual.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> G-Man
> For pointing out reality???

No - for not actually reading the link and jumping to conclusions. Of course
you will now say you read it.

Cheers,
G-Man

28 Nov 2006 02:55:56
g Wayne
Re: Ah yes reality does't work

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:55:51 UTC, Danzig <[email protected] > wrote:

> fellow says one person is the best driver in the world and their
> experience in limited to NASCAR. Can't make that statement as their are
> many formula one drivers who are very skilled. SAME THING HERE. This one
> would lose big time on the dirt as the style is only suited for the lawn.
>
> This one is a Silky Sullivan and wouldn't get up on the dirt.
>
> calling this one the best has to have that disclaimer.

Silky Sullivan? come now, the horse was nowhere near as far back at the
"1/8 pole" as Silky used to be, or even Vigors for that matter.
--

-- g Wayne --

30 Nov 2006 00:57:25
Danzig
Re: Ah yes reality does't work

g Wayne wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:55:51 UTC, Danzig <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> fellow says one person is the best driver in the world and their
>> experience in limited to NASCAR. Can't make that statement as their are
>> many formula one drivers who are very skilled. SAME THING HERE. This one
>> would lose big time on the dirt as the style is only suited for the lawn.
>>
>> This one is a Silky Sullivan and wouldn't get up on the dirt.
>>
>> calling this one the best has to have that disclaimer.
>
> Silky Sullivan? come now, the horse was nowhere near as far back at the
> "1/8 pole" as Silky used to be, or even Vigors for that matter.
slow early pace can do that