22 Apr 2006 04:36:32
Mustang5
Betting Question

I don't know anything about bets, so here's a dumb question:
Isn't there some kind of a bet where you can bet that 3 horses will come in
1st, 2nd & 3rd, but your bet doesn't designate which horse comes in which
place, the 3 just have to come in.

What is that called, if there is any such thing?

22 Apr 2006 05:48:42
Re: Betting Question

Mustang5 wrote:
> I don't know anything about bets, so here's a dumb question:
> Isn't there some kind of a bet where you can bet that 3 horses will come in
> 1st, 2nd & 3rd, but your bet doesn't designate which horse comes in which
> place, the 3 just have to come in.
>
> What is that called, if there is any such thing?

Golden Gate used to have bet called the place quinella which was
like your description but small handles killed it.
Best you can do now is a three horse trifecta box which would be $6
if the track has a $1 tri.

22 Apr 2006 01:09:48
MMcC
Re: Betting Question

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 04:36:32 GMT, "Mustang5" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>I don't know anything about bets, so here's a dumb question:
>Isn't there some kind of a bet where you can bet that 3 horses will come in
>1st, 2nd & 3rd, but your bet doesn't designate which horse comes in which
>place, the 3 just have to come in.
>
>What is that called, if there is any such thing?

A Trifecta is where you pick the first three horses in exact order.
If you have three horses you fancy but don't know which order they
will finish in, you can "box" the three. What you are doing then is
betting all possible combinations of the three horses. i.e....... if
the your horses were the 5, the 7 and the 9.

5-7-9
5-9-7
9-5-7
9-7-5
7-5-9
7-9-5

So in essence you are placing 6 seperate bets. At many tracks the
minimum stake for Boxed bets is reduced from the normal $2 to $1, to
make it more accesible.

22 Apr 2006 07:21:28
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

MMcC <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 04:36:32 GMT, "Mustang5" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I don't know anything about bets, so here's a dumb question:
> >Isn't there some kind of a bet where you can bet that 3 horses will come
in
> >1st, 2nd & 3rd, but your bet doesn't designate which horse comes in which
> >place, the 3 just have to come in.
> >
> >What is that called, if there is any such thing?
>
> A Trifecta is where you pick the first three horses in exact order.
> If you have three horses you fancy but don't know which order they
> will finish in, you can "box" the three. What you are doing then is
> betting all possible combinations of the three horses. i.e....... if
> the your horses were the 5, the 7 and the 9.
>
> 5-7-9
> 5-9-7
> 9-5-7
> 9-7-5
> 7-5-9
> 7-9-5
>
> So in essence you are placing 6 seperate bets. At many tracks the
> minimum stake for Boxed bets is reduced from the normal $2 to $1, to
> make it more accesible.

Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know. This betting business is like
learning a foreign language, and so far I have only learned "hello". "-)

22 Apr 2006 11:20:03
Re: Betting Question

Mustang5 wrote:

> Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know. This betting business is like
> learning a foreign language, and so far I have only learned "hello". "-)

Keep asking questions.
Most tracks have an information window and some have booklets
explaining different things. Mutuel clerks can help but try not to ask
questions near post time.

22 Apr 2006 16:43:30
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Mustang5 wrote:
> >
> > Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know. This betting business is
like
> > learning a foreign language, and so far I have only learned "hello".
"-)

> Keep asking questions.
> Most tracks have an information window and some have booklets
> explaining different things. Mutuel clerks can help but try not to ask
> questions near post time.

Thanks. Do you know of any books or websites that explain this stuff to
newbies?

22 Apr 2006 23:30:07
Don
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Mustang5 wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted to know. This betting
>> > business is
> like
>> > learning a foreign language, and so far I have only learned
>> > "hello".
> "-)
>> >

>> Keep asking questions.
>> Most tracks have an information window and some have booklets
>> explaining different things. Mutuel clerks can help but try not to
>> ask questions near post time.
>
> Thanks. Do you know of any books or websites that explain this stuff
> to newbies?

http://www.ustrotting.com/usta/newcomers.htm

Specifically:
http://www.ustrotting.com/pdf/HarnessRacing101.pdf
Page #11

23 Apr 2006 00:18:47
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

Don <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]

> > like
> > "-)
> >> >

> >> Keep asking questions.
> >> Most tracks have an information window and some have booklets
> >> explaining different things. Mutuel clerks can help but try not to
> >> ask questions near post time.
> >
> > Thanks. Do you know of any books or websites that explain this stuff
> > to newbies?
> >

> http://www.ustrotting.com/usta/newcomers.htm
>
> Specifically:
> http://www.ustrotting.com/pdf/HarnessRacing101.pdf
> Page #11

Thanks. I was thinking more of Thoroughbred racing, but it looks like a lot
of this info would be the same. I found a used book on Amazon for $2 about
betting - for dummies, of course. "-)

23 Apr 2006 21:34:46
Powderfinger
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> > > like
> > > "-)

> > > Thanks. Do you know of any books or websites that explain this stuff
> > > to newbies?

Daily Racing Form's Learn to Play The Races
http://www.drf.com/row/fan_ed/learn-to-play-2004.pdf
This gives you the basic terminology. After you get this down, the most
important thing is to understand how to read and interpret a horse's past
performances.

Daily Racing Form's Reading Past Performances
http://www.drf.com/flash/drf_pp_tutorial.html

There are other publications which have past performances. They have their
own lingo and their own instuctions on how to read them.

24 Apr 2006 04:06:00
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

Powderfinger <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > news:[email protected]:

> Daily Racing Form's Learn to Play The Races
> http://www.drf.com/row/fan_ed/learn-to-play-2004.pdf
> This gives you the basic terminology. After you get this down, the most
> important thing is to understand how to read and interpret a horse's past
> performances.
>
> Daily Racing Form's Reading Past Performances
> http://www.drf.com/flash/drf_pp_tutorial.html
>
> There are other publications which have past performances. They have their
> own lingo and their own instuctions on how to read them.

Thanks - this looks like great information. "-)

24 Apr 2006 07:48:52
Powderfinger
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Powderfinger <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> > Daily Racing Form's Learn to Play The Races
> > http://www.drf.com/row/fan_ed/learn-to-play-2004.pdf
> > This gives you the basic terminology. After you get this down, the most
> > important thing is to understand how to read and interpret a horse's
past
> > performances.
> >
> > Daily Racing Form's Reading Past Performances
> > http://www.drf.com/flash/drf_pp_tutorial.html
> >
> > There are other publications which have past performances. They have
their
> > own lingo and their own instuctions on how to read them.
>

> Thanks - this looks like great information. "-)

Normally you have to pay for the DRF's past performances but they usually
give it away for big races. They have this year's derby avaiable now:
http://www.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby/2006/pps/derbycontenders.pdf

Check it out and start handicapping.

24 Apr 2006 14:21:40
JD
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> > > like
> > > "-)

> > > Thanks. Do you know of any books or websites that explain this stuff
> > > to newbies?
> > >

> > http://www.ustrotting.com/usta/newcomers.htm
> >
> > Specifically:
> > http://www.ustrotting.com/pdf/HarnessRacing101.pdf
> > Page #11
>
> Thanks. I was thinking more of Thoroughbred racing, but it looks like a
lot
> of this info would be the same. I found a used book on Amazon for $2
about
> betting - for dummies, of course. "-)

If thoroughbreds are your thing, there are lots of good books, from beginner
to deeply scientific.

The Daily Racing Form (drf.com) has several free publications that are
worthy of your time.

"Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies," part of the "Dummies" series, is
actually a highly-rated book. It was written by a fellow who writes the
daily racing column for a Las Vegas Newspaper, is also a top handicapper,
and he won the $400,000.00 top prize at the Orleans Handicapping contest in
Las Vegas. If you need to know it all, from every racing term to every bet
to the best ten tracks in America, it's a great book.

Also, almost all possible wagers (about 15 or so) are discussed on several
levels, from beginner to professional (the book is almost 400 pages long.)
It also has a few 'cheat sheets' that you can take to the track with you.

It will get you "up to speed" really fast, and is a worth addition to
anyone's reference book collection.

Hope this helps, and good luck at the races.

25 Apr 2006 02:47:49
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

JD <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > news:[email protected]:

> > > http://www.ustrotting.com/usta/newcomers.htm
> > >
> > > Specifically:
> > > http://www.ustrotting.com/pdf/HarnessRacing101.pdf
> > > Page #11
> >
> > Thanks. I was thinking more of Thoroughbred racing, but it looks like a
> lot
> > of this info would be the same. I found a used book on Amazon for $2
> about
> > betting - for dummies, of course. "-)
> >

> If thoroughbreds are your thing, there are lots of good books, from
beginner
> to deeply scientific.
>
> The Daily Racing Form (drf.com) has several free publications that are
> worthy of your time.
>
> "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies," part of the "Dummies" series, is
> actually a highly-rated book. It was written by a fellow who writes the
> daily racing column for a Las Vegas Newspaper, is also a top handicapper,
> and he won the $400,000.00 top prize at the Orleans Handicapping contest
in
> Las Vegas. If you need to know it all, from every racing term to every
bet
> to the best ten tracks in America, it's a great book.
>
> Also, almost all possible wagers (about 15 or so) are discussed on several
> levels, from beginner to professional (the book is almost 400 pages long.)
> It also has a few 'cheat sheets' that you can take to the track with you.
>
> It will get you "up to speed" really fast, and is a worth addition to
> anyone's reference book collection.
>
> Hope this helps, and good luck at the races.

That sounds like the book I ordered from Amazon.com. I am really enthused
about thoroughbred racing the last couple of years, but I didn't really know
anything about it other than it was exciting and I loved the horses. I
thank Smarty Jones for getting me into it. Last October I went to KY and
saw him and Ghostzapper and lots of other famous horses. It was one of the
high points of my life. I read this newsgroup every day and try to follow
all the conversations and try to learn as much as I can. With these
recommended publications, I should be on my way.
Thanks very much. "-)

25 Apr 2006 02:48:26
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

Powderfinger <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Powderfinger <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> stuff
> > >
> > > Daily Racing Form's Learn to Play The Races
> > > http://www.drf.com/row/fan_ed/learn-to-play-2004.pdf
> > > This gives you the basic terminology. After you get this down, the
most
> > > important thing is to understand how to read and interpret a horse's
> past
> > > performances.
> > >
> > > Daily Racing Form's Reading Past Performances
> > > http://www.drf.com/flash/drf_pp_tutorial.html
> > >
> > > There are other publications which have past performances. They have
> their
> > > own lingo and their own instuctions on how to read them.
> >

> > Thanks - this looks like great information. "-)
> >

> Normally you have to pay for the DRF's past performances but they usually
> give it away for big races. They have this year's derby avaiable now:
> http://www.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby/2006/pps/derbycontenders.pdf
>
> Check it out and start handicapping.

Thank you - you've been a big help. "-)

25 Apr 2006 12:19:33
fvndoc
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I read this newsgroup every day

How do you make the time?

25 Apr 2006 17:20:01
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

fvndoc <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > I read this newsgroup every day
>
> How do you make the time?

Retired, but not tired. "-)

25 Apr 2006 14:08:38
JD
Re: Betting Question

"Mustang5" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> JD <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > Don <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> > > Thanks. I was thinking more of Thoroughbred racing, but it looks like
> > lot
> > > of this info would be the same. I found a used book on Amazon for $2
> > about
> > > betting - for dummies, of course. "-)
> > >

> > If thoroughbreds are your thing, there are lots of good books, from
> beginner
> > to deeply scientific.
> >
> > The Daily Racing Form (drf.com) has several free publications that are
> > worthy of your time.
> >
> > "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies," part of the "Dummies" series, is
> > actually a highly-rated book. It was written by a fellow who writes the
> > daily racing column for a Las Vegas Newspaper, is also a top
handicapper,
> > and he won the $400,000.00 top prize at the Orleans Handicapping contest
> in
> > Las Vegas. If you need to know it all, from every racing term to every
> bet
> > to the best ten tracks in America, it's a great book.
> >
> > Also, almost all possible wagers (about 15 or so) are discussed on
several
> > levels, from beginner to professional (the book is almost 400 pages
long.)
> > It also has a few 'cheat sheets' that you can take to the track with
you.

> > It will get you "up to speed" really fast, and is a worth addition to
> > anyone's reference book collection.
> >
> > Hope this helps, and good luck at the races.
>
> That sounds like the book I ordered from Amazon.com. I am really enthused
> about thoroughbred racing the last couple of years, but I didn't really
know
> anything about it other than it was exciting and I loved the horses. I
> thank Smarty Jones for getting me into it. Last October I went to KY and
> saw him and Ghostzapper and lots of other famous horses. It was one of the
> high points of my life. I read this newsgroup every day and try to follow
> all the conversations and try to learn as much as I can. With these
> recommended publications, I should be on my way.
> Thanks very much. "-)

I'm glad to have helped. The first thing that you will learn about
handicapping is that the more you think that you know, the next turn just
pulls you deeper into even more expansive challenges.

On top of that, the sport is multi-tiered: It appeals to breeders, animal
lovers, sports fans, handicappers and all kinds of combinations at all kinds
of levels.

In the realm of handicapping, you can go from the most simple projects, like
trying to pick one horse to win a race, to deep handicapping, like trying to
pick which horses will finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in exact order
(Superfecta).

The depth of knowledge of many handicappers is amazing. At the same time,
others enjoy the sport just for the sights, sounds and excitement.

Horseracing is the 1st or 2nd oldest sport in America, and rightly so.
Enjoy! JD

25 Apr 2006 15:09:59
ellis_jay
Re: Betting Question

Mustang5 wrote:
> fvndoc <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "Mustang5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>> I read this newsgroup every day
>>
>> How do you make the time?
>>
> Retired, but not tired. "-)

Many who hang here also hang at rec.gambling.racing and
alt.sport.hors-racing .systems. I suggest also joing the uk group. I also
find this link very useful:
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/home.sd
Joining is free and once joined you will dinf the "search" link very
useful,especially for "form". Sometimes you can find really good info on an
American horse-and for sure some info on a "shipper".

Great story below:
http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Bios/ByerlyTurk.htm
from
http://www.bloodlines.net/

http://www.bloodlines.net/TRL/
http://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/

http://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/triplecrown/

http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=983f9e46a9937228bde9f61e608918f3&topic=619.0

I use the follwing site before every race I bet:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbEntriesFullIndex.cfm
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbResultFullIndex.cfm?CHRT=Y

There are other wager sites but I use this one with no problems:
http://www.youbet.com/

And if ya get a chance:

see
http://www.andrerieu.com/site/index.php?id=news&no_cache=1&tx_arpbvactueel_pi1[showUid]=333&tx_arpbvactueel_pi1[bandwidth]=high

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

26 Apr 2006 07:17:23
fooler tn
Re: Betting Question

MMcC gave you the answer to your question: how to bet the first three
finishers in a race, in any order is the Trifecta box, costing $6 on
tracks where the minimum Trifecta bet is $1.

You may like another Trifecta bet, called the Trifecta key. The Tri
key bet is useful when you really like a certain horse to win,
especially if it is a longshot, and can pick a couple of contenders to
finish in the money. Your top horse must WIN, and the two contenders
you pick must finish in the money, either place or show. The Tri key
costs $2, where the minimum Tri bet is $1. Say you like #3 to win, and
#5 and #7 to finish in the money. At the window you say, "Give me a $1
Tri Key, 3 with 5 and 7" and pay your $2. If the race ends 3/5/7 or
3/7/5 you win the Tri.

The appeal to me is where you have a strong liking for a longshot, and
for another horse who figures close at the finish, and then a number of
runners that might sneak into the money, say #3 to win, #5 to be close,
and #'s 7, 8 and 9 that might get into the money. You bet three keys: 3
with 5/7; 3 with 5/8; 3 with 5/9, for a cost of $6. If 3 wins, 5 gets
in the money with 7 or 8 or 9, you win the Tri.

Good luck racing!

26 Apr 2006 17:28:43
Mustang5
Re: Betting Question

fooler tn <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> MMcC gave you the answer to your question: how to bet the first three
> finishers in a race, in any order is the Trifecta box, costing $6 on
> tracks where the minimum Trifecta bet is $1.
>
> You may like another Trifecta bet, called the Trifecta key. The Tri
> key bet is useful when you really like a certain horse to win,
> especially if it is a longshot, and can pick a couple of contenders to
> finish in the money. Your top horse must WIN, and the two contenders
> you pick must finish in the money, either place or show. The Tri key
> costs $2, where the minimum Tri bet is $1. Say you like #3 to win, and
> #5 and #7 to finish in the money. At the window you say, "Give me a $1
> Tri Key, 3 with 5 and 7" and pay your $2. If the race ends 3/5/7 or
> 3/7/5 you win the Tri.
>
> The appeal to me is where you have a strong liking for a longshot, and
> for another horse who figures close at the finish, and then a number of
> runners that might sneak into the money, say #3 to win, #5 to be close,
> and #'s 7, 8 and 9 that might get into the money. You bet three keys: 3
> with 5/7; 3 with 5/8; 3 with 5/9, for a cost of $6. If 3 wins, 5 gets
> in the money with 7 or 8 or 9, you win the Tri.
>
> Good luck racing!

That sounds great - thanks! I'm learning a lot.

28 Apr 2006 10:53:29
ellis_jay
Re: Betting Question

http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/Horse-Wagering-Options/38059