27 Nov 2006 23:00:15
Von Fourche
DRF - Where to Start?

Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!

What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?

What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
focus on only five or six of them?

Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?

I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
it on the computer.

27 Nov 2006 23:11:41
Danzig
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Von Fourche wrote:
> Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
>
> What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
>
> What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> focus on only five or six of them?
>
> Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
>
> I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
> it on the computer.

READ several books before using REAL money to wager. It can be very
confusing.

START at ONE track or circuit and stay with it ON PAPER until you have
some ability to predict. ALSO remember that the wagering game is
completely different than the handicapping part.

REMEMBER too that in order to sell a product, the publisher makes it
"One size fits all" so for many races there is superfluous and
repetitious information.

Start with sprints as they are more predictable.

Tim Yatcak

27 Nov 2006 23:12:21
Danzig
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Von Fourche wrote:
> Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
>
> What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
>
> What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> focus on only five or six of them?
>
> Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
>
> I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
> it on the computer.

having said all that, I don't buy the form any longer as the computer is
far easier to review the factors I think are relevant.

27 Nov 2006 23:28:13
Von Fourche
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> having said all that, I don't buy the form any longer as the computer is
> far easier to review the factors I think are relevant.

And what sites contain that relevant information?

Thanks!

27 Nov 2006 20:23:43
Scott McPhillips [MVP]
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Von Fourche wrote:
> Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
>
> What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
>
> What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> focus on only five or six of them?
>
> Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
>
> I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
> it on the computer.

Sure, it's overwhelming. One of the fascinating things about the game
is that nobody knows which factors will dominate. It varies from day to
day, and track to track, and even crowd to crowd. You can spend years
learning subtle lessons from the DRF info.

The Beyer figures are the best available measure of a horse's speed.
The speed rating/variant are a poor measure, left over from the days
when the DRF didn't have Beyer figures. You can use the Beyer's to pick
out maybe 3-4 horses with a reasonable shot. If one of those horses has
attractive odds, get bold. You want a good horse at a good price.

Probably the second most important data is the running lines: Learn to
recognize horses that know how to get near the lead early and stay
there. That looks like a lot of 1's and 2's in the running lines. Most
tracks, most days, this is an advantage. Watch your track, or
newspaper, to see how often the early horses take the money.

You'll also want to understand the race classes: terms like claiming,
maiden and allowance. For that you should get a book. Have fun, take
it step by step.

28 Nov 2006 03:08:11
g Wayne
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:11:41 UTC, Danzig <[email protected] > wrote:

> Von Fourche wrote:
> > Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> > Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
> >
> > What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> > DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
> >
> > What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> > must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> > focus on only five or six of them?
> >
> > Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> > about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
> >
> > I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> > overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
> > it on the computer.
> >

> READ several books before using REAL money to wager. It can be very
> confusing.
>
> START at ONE track or circuit and stay with it ON PAPER until you have
> some ability to predict. ALSO remember that the wagering game is
> completely different than the handicapping part.

Agreed. two different entities.

--

-- g Wayne --

28 Nov 2006 03:38:36
g Wayne
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:23:43 UTC, "Scott McPhillips [MVP]"
<org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp > wrote:

> Von Fourche wrote:
> > Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> > Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
> >
> > What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> > DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
> >
> > What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> > must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> > focus on only five or six of them?
> >
> > Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> > about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
> >
> > I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> > overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking at
> > it on the computer.
>
> Sure, it's overwhelming. One of the fascinating things about the game
> is that nobody knows which factors will dominate. It varies from day to
> day, and track to track, and even crowd to crowd. You can spend years
> learning subtle lessons from the DRF info.
>
> The Beyer figures are the best available measure of a horse's speed.

Horse hockey

> The speed rating/variant are a poor measure, left over from the days
> when the DRF didn't have Beyer figures. You can use the Beyer's to pick
> out maybe 3-4 horses with a reasonable shot. If one of those horses has
> attractive odds, get bold. You want a good horse at a good price.

you could also look at the 1st four favorites on the odds board. Those will
be the same as the 1st four Beyer figures, in at least 8 out of 10 races.

--

-- g Wayne --

28 Nov 2006 16:12:37
Danzig
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

One thing that FEW people recognize: LEARN WHERE the horses are at each
call on the race track. The "calls" in the form are NOT symmetrical.

28 Nov 2006 17:32:23
ellis_jay
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Von Fourche wrote:
> Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
>
> What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read
> the DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading
> the DRF?
>
> What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it
> all a must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at
> the track or focus on only five or six of them?
>
> Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers?
> What about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
>
> I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be
> so overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of
> looking at it on the computer.

Speed is the key. Acceleration. Path used. Pedigree important.
www.pedigreequery.com

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

28 Nov 2006 18:52:12
Dog
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

ellis_jay wrote:

> Speed is the key. Acceleration. Path used. Pedigree important.

Prove it you fucking lush.

01 Dec 2006 12:11:54
Swaps1955
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Von Fourche wrote:
> Lets say I'm new to horse racing. I just downloaded the DRF for
> Hollywood Park. Ok, there are 31 pages of info to go over!
>
> What I want to know is - for experience horse gamblers who read the
> DRF at the track, what information do they focus on when reading the DRF?
>
> What info do I ignore and what info is a must to read? Or is it all a
> must read? Do people study all races on the day they are at the track or
> focus on only five or six of them?
>
> Also, for a beginner, how should I view the Beyer speed numbers? What
> about those other numbers - speed rating/track variant?
>
> I just find the DRF some what overwhelming. Maybe I wouldn't be so
> overwhelmed if I was looking at a hard copy of the DRF instead of looking=
at
> it on the computer.

Hello fellow handicapping aficionados,
If you are interested in purchasing a speed and pace base
thoroughbred handicapping
software program (REXPOINTE) that I have developed, you might want to
continue
reading, if not, you can stop reading now.
I have just started offering an updated version that allows for
the downloading and
exporting of the Daily Racing Form's "Formulator Basic PPs" or
"BRIS DRF Data
Files (multi)".
Thank you very much for your time and your consideration.

REXPOINTE
=A9 COPYRIGHT 1995 by G.D. Sandoval
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Rexpointe may not be reproduced, disseminated or resold in any form.

REQUIREMENTS:
*Windows 95 or a more current version of Windows

*Microsoft Works or Microsoft Excel

*BRIS DRF Data Files (multi); Comma-Delimited DRF Past
Performances (multiple
file format); per track per date racecards can be purchased from

Bloodstock Research Information Services (BRIS) for $1.00 each

OR

*Daily Racing Form's "FORMULATOR 4" software (may be
downloaded for free by
going to their website at drf.com)

*An account with the Daily Racing Form (FORMULATOR BASIC PPs will
cost you
$2.50 for 1 racecard plus $1.00 for each

additional racecard on the same day.)

THIS IS THE NEW REXPOINTE!

NO MORE MANUAL INPUTTING(!!!) of Daily Racing Form or BRIS past
performance running line data.

DATA INPUT HAS NOW BEEN AUTOMATED!

Due to repeated inquiries and requests, I have now programmed REXPOINTE
to accept
downloadable and exportable Daily Racing Form and BRIS past
performances.

**********************************

REXPOINTE is the culmination of fourteen months of actual
programming, algorithm
and formula verification, modifications, streamlining, and graphics.
What the
REXPOINTE premise maintains is that a length at the end of a race is
"longer" than a
length at the beginning of that same race. REXPOINTE doesn't mean
longer in the
physical/literal sense. By "longer" REXPOINTE means, the time it takes
for a horse to run
a length changes (becomes longer) as a race progresses. This is
because, almost invariably,
horses tend to slow down more the farther they run. What this
translates into or means to
the speed and pace handicapper is that, because a length is run in less
time during the first
part of a race, a length gained or lost during this part of a race
should be "weighted" in
such a manner as to reflect this time difference when compared to a
length gained or lost
during the latter part of a race.

When a horse comes from behind to win a race, that horse isn't so
much running faster
than the horses it is passing (although it is) as much as it isn't
slowing down as much as the
horses it is passing. This is why we sometimes get the illusion of a
horse absolutely
"flying" past the rest of the field the last part of a race. That horse
wasn't "flying" (except
in a relative sense) as much as the other horses were "dying". This is
where the nuance of
speed and pace handicapping really occurs.

REXPOINTE maintains that the problem with most speed and pace
based methods of
handicapping is that they employ the long held idea that a length is
equal to 1/5 of a
second for the entire running of a race. Nothing could be further from
the truth than that
notion. A horse race is a dynamic (i.e., changing and evolving) event.
The relative
constant in the event is the capabilities of the participants.

What Rexpointe does, via intricate formulas and calculations, is
utilize a horse's past
performance to determine it's speed, pace and endurance capabilities,
and incorporates an
adjustment for track variant (such that it doesn't matter where a horse
has been running,
you are now comparing "equalized" past performances; apples to apples
so to speak).
Rexpointe gives each horse in a race a relative number (the lower the
better) that indicates
what each horse's speed, pace and endurance capabilities are (in terms
of lengths) as
compared to a computed/adjusted standard.

The price for REXPOINTE is $42.75 plus $3.00 (for shipping &
handling).

I hope this information gives you an "in a nutshell" idea of what
Rexpointe is all about.
If you have any questions, inquiries and/or comments, please know that
they are welcome.
Just send some E-mail to "[email protected]" (DON'T USE THE QUOTATION
MARKS).

PLEASE PRINT THIS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
Good luck with all things great and small.

Uber_Micro
Re: DRF - Where to Start?

Are you making any money selling this thing?

--

3.5 Billion Years of Evolution can't be wrong.

AD: WILL CODE FOR DATA!
I will code for your computer your capping
system or verify your capping system
in exchange for PPs!

Always Interested in finding other math-minded players.
Feel free to email uber_micro at husmail.com.