15 Apr 2006 15:14:29
John
Horse Racing Advice Needed

Hi. I just wondered what online sites you would recommend for Horse
Racing in the UK? I am interested to know good sites to find out the
form of horses and recent performance etc, and also what betting sites
you would recommend?

In the past I have used Oddschecker and then just gone to one of the
sites with the best odds. I just wondered generally though do some
companies usually offer better odds than others?

I have an account with a few different online betting sites and its
quite a hassle to remember all the login details etc, and not all the
sites I find via Oddschecker are that easy to use and navigate.

I'd also appreciate any info on what channels I can watch horse racing
on television etc. Are any races at the weekends shown on television?
I know that a lot of racing used to be shown on channel 4 and bbc2 a
while back, but that was mainly during the daytime in the week I
believe, when I am at work.

I've not really been into horse racing for a while, I used to often
have a flutter on the horses for fun when I was younger and would like
to start again.

I would also be interested to know how you make a double or multibet
using online betting sites, and how the winning odds are calculated if
you get both or all your bets correct? In the past I have only done
it once or twice in the bookies and I've got them to do it for me. It
was usually on the outcome of two football matches.

If you can help me with these queries or point me in the direct of a
site explaining all the jargon I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

John




15 Apr 2006 19:45:17
G-Man
Re: Horse Racing Advice Needed


"John" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi. I just wondered what online sites you would recommend for Horse
> Racing in the UK? I am interested to know good sites to find out the
> form of horses and recent performance etc, and also what betting sites
> you would recommend?

Hi John,
www.racingpost.co.uk is the best for this. You have to register but it's
free.


>
> In the past I have used Oddschecker and then just gone to one of the
> sites with the best odds. I just wondered generally though do some
> companies usually offer better odds than others?

www.betfair.com is the best imho.

>
> I have an account with a few different online betting sites and its
> quite a hassle to remember all the login details etc, and not all the
> sites I find via Oddschecker are that easy to use and navigate.
>
> I'd also appreciate any info on what channels I can watch horse racing
> on television etc. Are any races at the weekends shown on television?
> I know that a lot of racing used to be shown on channel 4 and bbc2 a
> while back, but that was mainly during the daytime in the week I
> believe, when I am at work.


As long as you have Sky you can watch all UK and Irish races live (Channels
415 and 432), as well as around 60 US races daily (Channels 415 and 433).





>
> I've not really been into horse racing for a while, I used to often
> have a flutter on the horses for fun when I was younger and would like
> to start again.
>
> I would also be interested to know how you make a double or multibet
> using online betting sites, and how the winning odds are calculated if
> you get both or all your bets correct? In the past I have only done
> it once or twice in the bookies and I've got them to do it for me. It
> was usually on the outcome of two football matches.


You should ask this question in the uk.sport.horseracing newsgroup.


Cheers,
G-Man




15 Apr 2006 22:47:56
ellis_jay
Re: Horse Racing Advice Needed

G-Man wrote:
> "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi. I just wondered what online sites you would recommend for Horse
>> Racing in the UK? I am interested to know good sites to find out the
>> form of horses and recent performance etc, and also what betting
>> sites you would recommend?
>
> Hi John,
> www.racingpost.co.uk is the best for this. You have to register but
> it's free.

Lots of useful info there!!

>
>
>>
>> In the past I have used Oddschecker and then just gone to one of the
>> sites with the best odds. I just wondered generally though do some
>> companies usually offer better odds than others?
>
> www.betfair.com is the best imho.

From E-Gaming review magazine april, 2006:

The Hit Parade
in the Hitwise and Neilson/Netratings chart for this month:

Autralia__

1. TABonline 22+ % market share
2. TAB Wagering 8+
3. BetFair 7+


Hong Kong__

1. HKJC Football Betting 16+ %
2. 888Crown.com 14+ %
3. Hong Kong Jockey Club-Bet 13+ %


UK___

1. Betfair 24.81%
2. RacingPost U.K. 19.52%
3. Willian Hill Sportsbook 4.99%
4. Ladbrokes.com 3.40%


US___

1. Worldwinner 5.4%
2. Slingo 4.49%
3. Partypoker.com 3.96
4. Bodog Sportsbook & Casino 3.79%

The next sixth in the US are 5 lottery sites and one Slot site.

I suppose there is some correlation to hits on the net and bottom line. But
without more detail one could say that this Ratings chart is nothing more
than a reflection of spammng methods. Betfair was offering an IPO but did
the Japanese offer to buy 25 percent of the company chase investors away?
If so, why?
And how does Ladbrokes sale of its hotels impact on its gaming operations?
Now that the Hotel professionals are out of the way should we expect
Ladbroke to have a leg up? I would think so, G-Man... considering Germany
and the Italian state of gaming affairs.


Cheers backatcha






--

Let the unseen day be. Today is more than enough.

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay





16 Apr 2006 21:11:24
G-Man
Re: Horse Racing Advice Needed


"ellis_jay" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> G-Man wrote:
>> "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hi. I just wondered what online sites you would recommend for Horse
>>> Racing in the UK? I am interested to know good sites to find out the
>>> form of horses and recent performance etc, and also what betting
>>> sites you would recommend?
>>
>> Hi John,
>> www.racingpost.co.uk is the best for this. You have to register but
>> it's free.
>
> Lots of useful info there!!

Hi LSJ,
Just like DRF it has a paper version, actually two paper versions daily. One
is in tabloid form with loads of articles and info for the average punter,
the other is in Broadsheet with only the form and racecards. The broadsheet
version is in virtually every bookies in the UK. They both have the same
price - 1.50 at weekends and slightly cheaper on weekdays. Sheikh Mo either
wholly-owns or is the majority shareholder of the RP.
When the website version first started they tried to have it as
subscription-only, but that failed so most of it is now completely free.
Recently they have started charging for printing out the daily cards.







>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> In the past I have used Oddschecker and then just gone to one of the
>>> sites with the best odds. I just wondered generally though do some
>>> companies usually offer better odds than others?
>>
>> www.betfair.com is the best imho.


Anyone backing US horses to win will benefit considerably from using
Betfair, as a lot of prices are considerably higher e.g. you can often find
5/1 shots being twice that price.









>
> From E-Gaming review magazine april, 2006:
>
> The Hit Parade
> in the Hitwise and Neilson/Netratings chart for this month:
>
> Autralia__
>
> 1. TABonline 22+ % market share
> 2. TAB Wagering 8+
> 3. BetFair 7+

This will change massively over the next few months. At first the Aussie
TABs and bookies wanted Betfair banned. However, a gaming licence was agreed
3 months ago, on 16th January. I would expect Betfair to soon overtake most
of the TABS.












>
>
> Hong Kong__
>
> 1. HKJC Football Betting 16+ %
> 2. 888Crown.com 14+ %
> 3. Hong Kong Jockey Club-Bet 13+ %
>
>
> UK___
>
> 1. Betfair 24.81%
> 2. RacingPost U.K. 19.52%
> 3. Willian Hill Sportsbook 4.99%
> 4. Ladbrokes.com 3.40%

I'm not sure how accurate these figures are and I would take them with a
pinch of salt. The main problem I see is that the Racing Post is NOT a
bookmaker of any kind. They have a section on the site which currently shows
the odds of ten different bookmakers (just like Oddschecker mentioned above)
and you can clickthrough them to bet with those particular bookmakers - so
the only cash the RP will get is some kind of affiliate fee.
The figures are obviously for the internet only - but are they just hits,
or actual cash bet through them, and do they include every kind of sports,
including poker? If it could include "paper" cash then both William Hill and
Ladbrokes would be considerably higher - they have numerous bookies
throughout the UK. (I've just read your later paragraphs and realised this
can be hits-only).





>
>
> US___
>
> 1. Worldwinner 5.4%
> 2. Slingo 4.49%
> 3. Partypoker.com 3.96
> 4. Bodog Sportsbook & Casino 3.79%
>
> The next sixth in the US are 5 lottery sites and one Slot site.
>
> I suppose there is some correlation to hits on the net and bottom line.
> But
> without more detail one could say that this Ratings chart is nothing more
> than a reflection of spammng methods.

You could be right there.


>Betfair was offering an IPO but did
> the Japanese offer to buy 25 percent of the company chase investors away?
> If so, why?

Betfair was going to float on the Stock Exchange then suddenly they changed
their mind, causing some of their executives to resign. I believe that they
have accepted this offer, which apparently values BF in the region of 1.5
billion. The guys who have sold this stake will be pretty rich when this
goes through.



> And how does Ladbrokes sale of its hotels impact on its gaming operations?
> Now that the Hotel professionals are out of the way should we expect
> Ladbroke to have a leg up? I would think so, G-Man... considering
> Germany
> and the Italian state of gaming affairs.

I have no idea - however, Ladbrokes have some extremely clever people and
they don't do things lightly.

Cheers,
G-Man