19 Dec 2007 07:47:44
E-man
New Breeders Cup races - thoughts?

Any thoughts on the three new Breeders' Cup races that will debut next
year?

I think the Turf Sprint will attract more international competition,
which I think the BC is looking for (if it's serious about billing
itself the "World Thoroughbred Championships" that is).

The Juvenile Fillies' Turf? Meh.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Dirt Marathon. True, the name
"Marathon" sucks (the term is meant for human races of 26 miles and
umpty-ump yards - imagine a modern Thoroughbred try to run that -
harrumph!). True, it's only 1 1/2 miles (a true endurance test should
be 2 miles). True, the purse is only $500,000, as compared to at
least $1 million for all other BC races. But this is hopefully just
the beginning of the process towards breeding stamina back into the
Thoroughbred. Of course more stayers' races will have to be carded
around the continent for this to have any meaning - stretching the
Brooklyn Handicap back out to 1 1/2 miles, which the NYRA announced
last week, is a welcome announcement.

The first few years of the "Marathon" and its prep races might be
iffy, as the sport adjusts and horses are gradually found that prosper
in this new niche. However, I hope that we will eventually see
top-rate horses, that happen to prefer 12+ furlongs to the "classic"
10 furlong distance, competing in these races. If this happens,
perhaps the Eclipse Awards will inaugurate a "Top Stayer" category,
similar to Europe and Australia.

Cheers,
E-man

-------------------

www.leftcoastracing.com

19 Dec 2007 08:14:30
Izheet Madroors
Re: New Breeders Cup races - thoughts?

"E-man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Any thoughts on the three new Breeders' Cup races that will debut next
> year?

My opinion is that the whole thing is cheapened and diluted by creating
oddball races and stretching the Breeders Cup over two days. It just seems
like a money grab to me.

> I'm cautiously optimistic about the Dirt Marathon. True, the name
> "Marathon" sucks (the term is meant for human races of 26 miles and
> umpty-ump yards - imagine a modern Thoroughbred try to run that -
> harrumph!). True, it's only 1 1/2 miles (a true endurance test should
> be 2 miles). True, the purse is only $500,000, as compared to at
> least $1 million for all other BC races. But this is hopefully just
> the beginning of the process towards breeding stamina back into the
> Thoroughbred. Of course more stayers' races will have to be carded
> around the continent for this to have any meaning - stretching the
> Brooklyn Handicap back out to 1 1/2 miles, which the NYRA announced
> last week, is a welcome announcement.

That race has been run at, virtually, every distance above seven furlongs.

> The first few years of the "Marathon" and its prep races might be
> iffy, as the sport adjusts and horses are gradually found that prosper
> in this new niche. However, I hope that we will eventually see
> top-rate horses, that happen to prefer 12+ furlongs to the "classic"
> 10 furlong distance, competing in these races. If this happens,
> perhaps the Eclipse Awards will inaugurate a "Top Stayer" category,
> similar to Europe and Australia.

Time will tell, but historically, the goal has been to try and breed and run
a horse at the classic distance, because that's where the money's at. I
don't really see that changing. Most trainers probably aren't going to say
"Well, he ran so good at 10 furlongs, I think I'll try and stretch him out
to 12 furlongs".

19 Dec 2007 14:40:04
wolfagain
Re: New Breeders Cup races - thoughts?

On Dec 19, 10:14 am, "Izheet Madroors"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> "E-man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> > Any thoughts on the three new Breeders' Cup races that will debut next
> > year?
>
> My opinion is that the whole thing is cheapened and diluted by creating
> oddball races and stretching the Breeders Cup over two days. It just seems
> like a money grab to me.
>
> > I'm cautiously optimistic about the Dirt Marathon. True, the name
> > "Marathon" sucks (the term is meant for human races of 26 miles and
> > umpty-ump yards - imagine a modern Thoroughbred try to run that -
> > harrumph!). True, it's only 1 1/2 miles (a true endurance test should
> > be 2 miles). True, the purse is only $500,000, as compared to at
> > least $1 million for all other BC races. But this is hopefully just
> > the beginning of the process towards breeding stamina back into the
> > Thoroughbred. Of course more stayers' races will have to be carded
> > around the continent for this to have any meaning - stretching the
> > Brooklyn Handicap back out to 1 1/2 miles, which the NYRA announced
> > last week, is a welcome announcement.
>
> That race has been run at, virtually, every distance above seven furlongs.
>
> > The first few years of the "Marathon" and its prep races might be
> > iffy, as the sport adjusts and horses are gradually found that prosper
> > in this new niche. However, I hope that we will eventually see
> > top-rate horses, that happen to prefer 12+ furlongs to the "classic"
> > 10 furlong distance, competing in these races. If this happens,
> > perhaps the Eclipse Awards will inaugurate a "Top Stayer" category,
> > similar to Europe and Australia.
>
> Time will tell, but historically, the goal has been to try and breed and run
> a horse at the classic distance, because that's where the money's at. I
> don't really see that changing. Most trainers probably aren't going to say
> "Well, he ran so good at 10 furlongs, I think I'll try and stretch him out
> to 12 furlongs".

I know of no breeder of class horses who wants to bred a 6F or shorter
turf horse! 10F in America and 13F in Europe are the standards.